[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Neo-Geo Pocket Colour retro? It's a sixth gen system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: ngpc.jpg (30KB, 350x201px) Image search: [Google]
ngpc.jpg
30KB, 350x201px
Is Neo-Geo Pocket Colour retro? It's a sixth gen system but the sticky doesn't specifically exempt it, like with the DC.

Also, Metal Slug 2nd Mission is best game.
>>
> It's a sixth gen system
No it isn't
>October 28, 1998
The Neo Geo pocket as the WonderSwan (and variants of both) are retro by board rules as logical ones.
>>
>>3516105
>No it isn't
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_Pocket_Color

>Generation Sixth generation era
>>
>>3516115
Agreed, it's also listed as sixth on gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/games/systems Not surprising given its Dreamcast connectivity.
>>
>>3516105
>No it isn't
It is.
>>
>>3516105
The rules are, hardware before 1999 is retro, UNLESS it belongs to sixth gen, UNLESS it's the Dreamcast.

Ergo, we cannot discuss NGPC here.
>>
So, we cannot discuss about the NGPC, but we can discuss about it's games because they can actually run on NGP for most of them because it's essentially the same hardware minus the color LCD screen and video chipset revision.
>>
File: o-JUDGE-GAVEL-facebook.jpg (830KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-JUDGE-GAVEL-facebook.jpg
830KB, 2000x1000px
>>3516101
It's 16-bit, and therefore arguably better suited to this board than most 5th gen hardware. I won't complain.
>>
>>3516153
That means Neo Geo Pocket threads are allowed then. Also, NGP has compatbility with most NGPC games so discussing those games without specifying which platform they're being played on is fair game. Bring on the NGP threads!
>>
File: ngp-dc-link-cable.jpg (44KB, 726x599px) Image search: [Google]
ngp-dc-link-cable.jpg
44KB, 726x599px
>>3516204
The NGP can still interface with the Dreamcast, therefore, it's a sixth-gen system as well.
>>
>>3516213
It's not. You can interface a megadrive with a modem to a dreamcast, that doesn't make the megadrive a 6th gen system. The Neo Geo pocket came out in 1998, so it's retro enough to be discussed here.
>>
Technically no, but unless /vr/ is in one of its "post-meta thread hangover" moods, no one will care or even notice. We have NGPC threads all the time.
>>
File: spa-linkcable.png (1MB, 800x928px) Image search: [Google]
spa-linkcable.png
1MB, 800x928px
>>3516216
>You can interface a megadrive with a modem to a dreamcast
The games weren't programmed to make use of this, though.

>The Neo Geo pocket came out in 1998
So did the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3516224
>So did the Dreamcast.
And so did the gameboy color. But no one will say "you can't discuss about the gameboy color" here.
>>
>>3516101
How about you just start discussing is since it's old as shit and if anyone has a problem with it you tell them to fuck off?
>>
>>3516228
So what this proves is, Dreamcast, GBC, and NGP are actually fifth-gen hardware.
>>
>>3516230
No that proves that the cut-off isn't based on gens. The sticky is clear -- anything made in 1999 and before can be discussed here. That's why the dreamcast can be discussed here despite being a 6th gen console, because it was made in 1998, while the rest of the gen can't be discussed here because it was released in 2000 and later. Both the NGP and NGPC were made in 1999 or before, so both can be discussed here.
>>
>>3516101
>All this back and forth bullshit, citing Wikipedia and their own opinions as fact.
>It's a color version of the NGP, which is undeniably 5th gen.

You knew you were gonna start this shit storm didn't you?
>>
>Wonderswan
>Release date: March 4, 1999
>Generation: Fifth

>Dreamcast
>Release date: November 27th, 1998
>Generation: Sixth?

Explain this bullshit.
>>
Gaming generations are vaguely defined and in relation to /vr/ only serve to bring up shitposting here. If it was released in the 20th century, it and games on it are allowed. End of story.
>>
>>3516261
Also, Wonderswan Color was released a full year after the cutoff date and no one gives a shit.

The GBA came out 3 months after the WSC.
>>
>>3516447
>and no one gives a shit.
Not true.

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3404938
>>
>>3516470
Yeah, that's like one guy and everyone calls him a faggot.

Post a GBA and half the board is calling for blood.
>>
Holy fuck, let's try to get this thread back on track. Such a fun portable system and the control stick is amazing.
>>
>>3516101
My favourite NGPC games:
>King of Fighters R2
>Samurai Showdown 2
>Puzzle Bobble
>Pocket Reversi
>>
it was made in 1998,so its retro
>>
>>3516484
You have to look at the median release date of the games. If you do that then the GBA is 3 years younger than the Wonderswan Color.
>>
>>3516101
Shitpost
>>
>>3516521
I agree, the fighting games are fun as hell, especially MoTM. I wish my douchebag bro didn't fuck up my NGPC.
>>
File: ryupacha.jpg (52KB, 557x680px) Image search: [Google]
ryupacha.jpg
52KB, 557x680px
>>3517906
MoTM is my fucking jam. Been addicted for a year, and my dream team is Ryu, Kyo, and Guile.
>>
>>3516176
Not an argument.
>>
>>3517947
Why was the NeoGeo version so shitty by comparison?
>>
I just don't get the point of the console. It's not that much better than the GBC, the price was around the same and it was hardly a portable Neo Geo.

I like the actual games on it, but why not put them on the Game Boy?
>>
>>3516101
>>3516105
>>3516115
>>3516130
>>3516145
>>3516153
>>3516169
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.
That simple. It's allowable.
There's no mention of which generation is allowable, just an 11.59pm 31 December 1999 cut-off time.

>b-but the next sentence!!!
That was added many, many months after launch because faggots kept whining to moot on /q/ about how it's not fair that they couldn't discuss Aika, Fina and the lesser waifus from Shits of Diarrhoea here. Then moot idiotically decided to add that second sentence. The original intention was clear, though, and NGPC is now, has always been and always will be a-okay on /vr/.
>>
File: vr_rules.png (103KB, 431x692px) Image search: [Google]
vr_rules.png
103KB, 431x692px
I say we should ban all of sixth gen like the start of /vr/. The only reason the GBA, PS2, etc. fans are whining so much to get their shit allowed is because that's exactly what the Dreamcucks did for theirs.
>>
>>3518060
>Anyone who disagrees with the rules is a shitposter!
>>
>>3518060
>Any platforms released in 1999 or earlier

>Dreamcast was released in 1999

At least post the release date anon.
>>
>>3518087
The "if sixth gen, not allowed" part of the rule overrides the "before y2k" rule.
>>
>>3516101
it should be. i really enjoy snk vs cap millennium match. also the card games
>>
>>3518060

DC is the perfect example of how stupid it is to try to shove consoles into "gens", DC is a weird semi- next gen system, something like gen 5.5, and if you look at handhelds that falls completely apart.
>>
we need /v2k/ right the fuck now.
>>
>>3518147
>I don't understand how generations work, so the entire concept is stupid!
Here's a hint: the Dreamcast was Sega's successor to the Saturn, which was 5th gen.

And the generation concept was really only ever considered with regards to consoles; handhelds are usually attached to a generation based on the proximity of their release.

You'd know this if you had grown up as waves of consoles replaced each other.
>>
>>3518189
>Here's a hint: the Dreamcast was Sega's successor to the Saturn, which was 5th gen.

Why can't a company release two consoles in the same generation?
>>
>>3518147
Can we please make /vr/ pre-1995 to get rid of millennials like this that have no idea how the progression of gaming worked?
>>
>>3518229
Nope. The rules will never change. They will stay confusing forever.
>>
'60s, '70s, '80s, and '90s videogames only. And get rid of the "because it was ported to a 1991 console, we can discuss 2016 games" bullshit..
>>
>>3518045
Guess we should be reporting all the Deus Ex threads.
>>
>>3518675
I've been trying to rid /vr/ of the fucking RCT2 General thread forever. RCT2 is from fucking TWO THOUSAND AND TWO. I don't give a shit if you're playing RCT1 tracks, DON'T FUCKING DISCUSS RCT2, JUST DISCUSS RCT1 AND RCT1 ONLY.
>>
>>3518685
Because you're backseat moderating and shitposting. You're meant to report and ignore. You seem to have this autistic disorder that makes you think "The rules do not apply to rule-breaking threads".
>>
>>3518689
Reporting doesn't do shit, don't you think I tried that first?

If something doesn't work, you have to call attention to it. Any decent fucking moderator knows that. I've moderated shitfucktons of boards and other online communities over the years and I know when to actually listen to valid goddamn complaints. Apparently 4chan mods don't.
>>
>>3518695
There's a app for that, it's called >>>/qa/, and shitting up the boards with MODS=FAGS is against GR8 which you should know.

Report, Hide, IGNORE. If the mods disagree with you, then you just have to suck it up, cupcake.
>>
>>3518704
Then email the admin, and stop your shitposting frenzy because we wont pander to your Y2K-apocalypse fantasy
>>
>>3518202
>Why can't a company release two consoles in the same generation?
They can, but that hasn't been a pattern reflected in market shifts for a long time.

You may have seen people on this board complain about Bernie Stolar: Sega tasked him with ending support for the Saturn to make way for the Dreamcast. It was specifically meant to replace the Saturn.
>>
>>3518695
>I've moderated shitfucktons of boards and other online communities over the years
You must have been incompetent, which would explain why you've been reduced to feeble attempts at backseat moderating over here.
>>
>>3519103
Nah, he's right, /vr/'s and 4chan in general's moderation is corrupt at worst, and a joke at best.
>>
>>3518029
It was rushed as shit, and it was past the time SNK had gone bankrupt. All the 2003 Neo Geo games were flawed in their own way.
>>
File: lookmaIcanshitposttoo.jpg (151KB, 431x692px) Image search: [Google]
lookmaIcanshitposttoo.jpg
151KB, 431x692px
>>3518060
>>
>>3519406
>sixth generation
Overruled.
>>
I vote to change the wording or make a new rule, that retro means any console that was discontinued in north america as of 2001. fuck you this is a NA/EU board

I mean the dreamcast was basically fucking discontinued before the 6th gen actually launched the consoles.

>>3519410
that's now how law works. The addendum doesn't refute the defining law. before 2000 overrules the name of the generation because the generation names are decided by majority vote and the manufacture/release dates are solid facts.

neo /vr/ was a mistake. you guys have really shit this place up in the last few years.
>>
>>3519413
No, newfag, Dreamcast threads used to be deleted back in 2013 and 2014. Which means the sixth gen clause > the pre-y2k clause. God damn.
>>
>>3519417
no, dreamcast is retro, the first line existed before the second was added and the you cunts starting whining about it pissbabies that you are, fuck you faggot. Calling people newfag shows you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: obvious lie is obvious.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
obvious lie is obvious.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3519421
>the first line existed before the second was added
>>
Making the cutoff date be 1995 can't come soon enough.
>>
In only two and a half years since the creation of the board, gen-z underage idiots have come trying to change the rules of the board and spit in the face of the reason for its creation. Fuck off and get your own board.
>>
millenials ree
>>
>>3518229

Unless you were born in 1979 or earlier, you're a millenial too.
>>
>>3519574
Not hard to imagine, /vr/ has a lot of 40+ year old virgins.
>>
>>3519585
I always just figured it was 25 year olds calling all the 20 and under folks "kiddo" and acted like they'd seen some shit, all the actual people I've ever seen on forums who are over 40 are usually really laid back and kind rather than being incredibly hostile and perpetually angry. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't half hope that a bunch of angry 40 year old virgins with basements full of retro games like to come on 4chan to bitch about millennials and how they shouldn't play old vidya.
>>
It sounds like alot of asshurt GBA fans seething over the fact that they can't talk abouy their precious GBA on /vr/ so they have to shitpost all over the board.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.