[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on "The Lost Levels"? Is it a worthy successor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 230px-Super_Mario_Bros_2_00-00.png (46KB, 230x201px) Image search: [Google]
230px-Super_Mario_Bros_2_00-00.png
46KB, 230x201px
Thoughts on "The Lost Levels"? Is it a worthy successor to the original Super Mario Bros., or is it a poorly designed add-on? Maybe something else?
>>
>>3505553

>No change to the story, barely any change to the graphics or mechanics or gameplay

It's just a difficulty mod.

Lives in the same place as New Super Luigi U.
>>
Unlike the SMAS version, the original Famicom Disk System version actually has different graphic assets (look at the floor, the clouds, etc), but the rest of the sprites are mostly the same. It includes a few new things like the wind mechanic and Luigi has his own controls (he jumps floatier, similar to SMB2USA).
The levels themselves were made by a different team than those from SMB1, they game is definitely meant to be played by experienced SMB1 players. Basically it's a game made for those who crave more challenge after SMB1.
>>
It's basically a difficulty romhack. Miyamoto was more involved with Doki Doki Panic than this.
>>
It's a perfect predecessor to the first Super Mario Bros
>>
It starts pretty fun, but the last few levels are excruciatingly annoying.
>>
File: irategamer.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
irategamer.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>3505668
>>
File: SuperMarioBros2jMap1-2.png (29KB, 3584x720px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioBros2jMap1-2.png
29KB, 3584x720px
>>3505553
Game is godlike. The level design is really interesting, and natch, challenging. You could call it a 'romhack' of SMB1 but it's the least lazy, most well thought out romhack ever.
>>
It's pretty much a challenge level set for SMB1 with some physics changes. Also there are faces on everything. I'm happy with SMB2USA, which was another game, which started as a SMB game anyway. Because Nintendo.
>>
It's my least favorite 2D Mario game.

The primitive physics worked well for SMB1, because that game was much simpler. But these physics don't work well at all for what Lost Levels demands of the player. Especially with those awful windy sections, and the parts where you have to platform across multiple springboards.
>>
>>3505736
Always hated sprinboards in SMB. Everything feels "right", except for them.
>>
>>3505553

I personally believe it's incredible, the level design is IMO the best of the entire series. It requires a lot of lateral thinking and it really test your resolve. I don't think it's "cheap", the only thing I'd call bullshit is the warps that send you back, but I'm not the type of person who likes to use the warps so it wasn't a problem.

But I loved this, because I feel like it really made me dig deep. I was constantly impressed with how they designed these levels and how much faith they had in the player to get through them
>>
>>3505736
>But these physics don't work well at all for what Lost Levels demands of the player.

Confirmed for not having put in a minimum of 10 hours of play time.
>>
me and my 19yr old female cousin beat this. I wanted to fuck her but we're not 3rd cousins.
>>
I played it through with no warps on the SNES All Stars Remaster sometime about a decade ago.

It was a tough game and some of the later worlds were very challenging, but I enjoyed it.

However, as a kid who was 5 years old when the American Mario 2 (doki doki) came out, I am so glad they brought that over instead of Japanese Mario 2.

Mario 2 USA is just such a pleasure to play and explore. As a kid it was a perfect game after playing Mario 1 since it was so much more of a friendly game type. It was easier but also just more fun in many aspects.

Mario 2 JAP would have had five year old me in tears and probably never wanting to play a Mario game again.
>>
>>3505553
I loved it. It changed virtually nothing but graphics and added some welcome shit. I never liked Doki Doki as a kid because it (understandably) didn't feel like a Mario game, and basically just skipped it for SMB3, which was the update the franchise needed.
>>
>>3505786
>the only thing I'd call bullshit is the warps that send you back, but I'm not the type of person who likes to use the warps so it wasn't a problem.

Yeah, the trickier warps were nothing more than a fuck you to the scrubs.
>>
>>3505691
Yeah. It's a masterpiece. Best Mario game.
>>
>>3505736

>SMB
>primitive physics

IMO, SMB has the best run and jump physics in any action game ever made. they don't feel "primitive" whatsoever .
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.