[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fréderick Raynal won his trial last week and he's now the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Fréderick Raynal won his trial last week and he's now the official creator of Alone in the Dark, almost 25 years after getting jewed out his rights.
Too bad he'll never get a cut from that mysterious deal that probably happened between Infogrames and Capcom before Resident Evil's release.
>>
>Fréderick Raynal won his trial last week and he's now the official creator of Alone in the Dark, almost 25 years after getting jewed out his rights.

Go on. More information pls
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Kg1OuXskI

Also the series is terrible
>>
>>3501581
I know it's not retro (by this boards logic) but how does Alone in the Dark 4 compare to the other 3?
>>
>recognized as the creator of Alone in the Dark
Isn't that something you'd try to avoid?
>>
>>3501594
It lacks almost all fo the atmosphere of the first installations.
>>
>>3501602
Okay, is it still a good game?
>>
>>3501590
>>3501601
How did the "Alone in the Dark is bad" meme start? The series isn't perfect but the first couple of games were solid and certainly don't merit the bad reputation. Was it because of a RE vs AitD cola war?
>>
>>3501603
Extremely forgettable.
>>
File: -.jpg (81KB, 765x318px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
81KB, 765x318px
>>
>>3501584
Back then Infogrames (the current Atari) had acquired the call of cthulhu license from Chaosium. Infogrames is kind of a shitty company. At that point they were already known for publishing the cult french sci-fi game Captain Blood and then destroying the devs by not paying them royalties for years. Also you may know this or not, but Infogrames kinda was the french king of shitty licensed games, and so several "filler" games were planned for Cthulhu.

Enter Raynal, a young fresh hotshot hire, author of a freeware arkanoid clone known as popcorn, assigned to one of the Cthulhu games as a side project to a french localization of Sim City. Because no one gave a fuck about the Cthulhu project, he could kinda do whatever he wanted, freewheeling unsupervised. It was, after all an expendable project.

And it turns out "whatever he wanted" was single-handedly building one of the first ever realtime 3D skeletal animation engines, the like of which we would not get again until Half-Life, and the matching toolchain, and making the granddaddy of survival horror with it. When Infograme's boss, Bruno Bonnell, finally checked the project, he discovered he had struck gold and assigned artists to the team so the game could be finished, and started a media blitz.

When time came to publish the game, Bonnell requested one change. The credits said "Created by Frederic Raynal", and Bonnell argued that although is contribution had been essential was would be recognized, Raynal should be more of a team player. Raynal accepted that the line be changed to "Created by Infogrames", thus unwittingly renouncing any rights he may have over his own creation. He expected recognition, and instead got a warning for delivering the game late and nothing else than his regular monthly salary. All the awards the game got went to Bonnell, all the royalties went to Infogrames, and there's more, thanks to a japanese company.
>>
>>3501607
I AM THE LIGHT...BRINGHUR
>>
>>3501623
Ah well, the Capcom story is in >>3501614
so I won't have to tell it. Suffice to say there may be more money due than it first appeared, not to mention the credit denied to Raynal as one of the creators of survival horror.

>>3501601
the first AITD sold millions and turned into a profitable franchise, not to mention the toolchain that was used in several other Infogrames games. Now that Raynal's claim on all that has been not only recognized, but that it is established Infogrames actually committed copyright fraud by robbing him of his rights, he's basically gonna get 25 years of royalties and some damage. That's gonna amount to a whole bunch of chapeaux de monnaie.
>>
>>3501623
Wow, that's some next level of being a complete scumbag. Hope Atari dies.
>>
>>3501667
Bonnell bailed out from the sinking ship a while ago though.
>>
>>3501623
I always thought Infrogrames wasn't that bad as a company, partly because I associated them with Alone in the Dark.
Buying the Atari name always felt like a shitty move.
>>
>>3501623
Huh.
>>
File: cptblood-intro.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cptblood-intro.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>3501581
>>3501623
Thank you for sharing this!
On a marginally related note, Captain Blood is as weird as it is innovative (that is, very much so). Can you shed any light on how Infogrames managed to not pay any royalties and get away with it?
>>
>>3501768
Infogrames was having money problems back then and after delaying payment for as long as they could, declared bankruptcy. That being said, they didn't get away with it. Blood's maker, Ere Informatique, still existed even though it could not fund developments anymore, and through persistance and a good lawyer eventually forced a recovering Infogrames to pay in full. The Ere people went on to create Cryo and make Dune.
>>
>>3501607
It was because Retsupurae made fun of it like two years ago.
>>
>>3501607
Honestly, I believe the meme started with the 2008 "Alone in the Dark" game on 7th gen consoles. It only got worse with the AWFUL movie and "Illumination". Which is sad, because up until that point, AitD had a pretty solid line of games (even New Nightmare was alright)
>>
>>3501623
>shitty licensed games
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.