[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this worth giving a spin nowadays? I kept hearing it getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

File: SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg (60KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg
60KB, 640x443px
is this worth giving a spin nowadays? I kept hearing it getting praised for years and years but never tried it. Can a grown adult enjoy it, or is it too childish?
>>
You are the only one that can answer that question.
>>
>>3499026
Not really, other people can too.
>>
Yes, no. It's not quite Mystic Quest-level of Babby's First RPG but you're probably not going to struggle much. That said, it's full of fun references (both Nintendo and Square), fun timing-based gameplay and a fun story with great characterization of all the cast. Nintendo owes a lot to it as they used its charming meta-style for many games after.
>>
It's a lot of fun, but don't go in expecting the greatest rpg ever. It's one of my favorites, but that's probably just because the nostalgia.
>>
>>3499016
I've beaten it several times and know every secret about it there is to know and still replay it every couple years.
>>
It'd still be fun for an adult to play. It's not the most amazing game ever but worth playing.
>>
Do these Mario RPGs fit into a consistent canon? Or does it follow the Super Mario 3 idea of everyone just being actors in a play? I never played Paper Mario TTYD, but I saw in videos that all the battles are set on a stage.
>>
>>3499016
It's still one of the greatest RPGs of the SNES era, right alongside Chrono Trigger and FF6.
>>
>>3499091

Mario RPG exists in its own canon and presents itself as legit, albeit pretty meta and comical. Paper Mario uses the Mario 3 style like you said, though it doesn't come up in dialogue or anything like that, it's purely a visual aesthetic.
>>
>>3499016
>Can a grown adult enjoy it
Played it for the first time this year, i'm 36, it's a decent game.
>>3499091
>canon
It's mario for fucks sake.
>>
>>3499237
>It's mario for fucks sake.
well I'm an autist and I desperately need order in everything.
>>
>>3499091
No. They aren't even consistent with each other.
>>
>>3499026
This. Fucking this. Form your own opinion OP.
>>
>>3499358
Don't tell me what to do, pal! I'll ask for other people's opinions if I wanna!
>>
>>3499370
>Don't tell me what to do
>I'll do what other people tell me what to do if I want!
>>
It's almost definitely nostalgia talking, but I still like this game more than any of the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games.

I think most people would find it enjoyable but ultimately inferior to the N64, Gamecube, and DS RPGS.
>>
>>3499016
The gameplay didn't age very well in comparison to other Mario RPGs. Most fans of the game only like it for Geno and/or the story, which itself is mediocre.
>>
>>3499471
I actually didn't care for Geno or Mallow, as soon as I got Bowser and Peach on my team, I'd never see them again outside of cutscenes.
>>
>>3499478
This. I think one time I used Geno and Mallow for the final boss fight just to prove I could and that was it.
>>
Is a good RPG. Of course you wont find anything special in the gameplay, because this one was clearly focused for little kids, very linear and too little exploration. But it has some neat secrets, the story and the graphics have aged well.
>>
It's a great game, and I said it before and I'll say it again. IMO it's not just a great RPG it's one of the best RPG'S ever made.
>>
>>3499016
It doesn't feel childish at all, maybe because it was developed by Square so it does have that familiar atmosphere. Plot and dialogues are well scripted and the setting has a lot of personality, substance.
>>
>>3499091
Well, the Mario and Luigi series has a constant canon, but that's only like 4 of the mario rpgs.
>>
The characters are fairly well fleshed out and it has one of the best translations of its time, it's still fairly enjoyable to read and low on cringe moments

Gameplay-wise it's more "interactive" and not as hard as most traditional RPGs (unless you pursue the hidden bosses) but still harder than a game like Mystic Quest, there are some items like Rock Candy that can be abused to great effect though
>>
Ask yourself the same question without the word nowadays.
>>
>>3500170
There's 2 Paper Mario games that are real RPGS, and there's 6 M&L games...
>>
>>3501059
>there's 6 M&L games

>SSS
>PiT
>BIS
>DT
>PJ

Which one am I missing?
Also, I hope the next M&L game is better... I couldn't finish Dream Team, and I didn't even pick up paper jam when I saw that it was bringing it's new "only established mario characters allowed" meme with it.
>>
I played it a few months ago and it's really fun. You should play it
>>
>>3501401
Mario RPG is de facto Mario & Luigi episode 0. In Japan they are even called Mario & Luigi RPG and they share a lot of the same crew.

1. Mario RPG
2. SuperStar Saga
3. Partners in Time
4. Bowser Inside Story
5. Dream Team
6. Paper Jam

1. Paper Mario
2. The Thousand Year Door
3. (Spin-off) Super Paper Mario
4. (Reboot) Sticker Star
5. Color Splash
>>
>>3499016

I imagine so. If you like SNES rpgs. Mario was never childish it is all ages
>>
>>3499016
Playing it for the first time right now and yes, it's definitely worth giving a spin. If you're not a braindead retard it will give you zero trouble but it's filled to the brim with charming interactions between characters and the gimmick of timing attacks is enough to keep you engaged in fights, which combined with its short length and lack of forced padding keeps it from feeling like a slog unlike a lot of more recent 60+ hour JRPGs I've played.
>>
>>3501429
>Mario RPG is de facto Mario & Luigi

Wtf are you talking about? Luigi isn't even in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>>
File: ngp.png (30KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ngp.png
30KB, 256x224px
>>3501881
Guess the fuck again faggot.
>>
>>3501894
Nice rom hack, dumb ass.
>>
>>3499016
the game is fun
>>
File: SMRPG2_BetaScreenshot1.jpg (40KB, 719x545px) Image search: [Google]
SMRPG2_BetaScreenshot1.jpg
40KB, 719x545px
>>3501429
>Mario RPG is de facto Mario & Luigi episode 0
Then why was Paper Mario originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2?
>>
>>3501429
>>3501894

/vr/ can be very embarrassing sometimes...
>>
>>3504349
Yeah, it's too easy to bait sometimes.
>>
File: vivan-pm-ttyd.jpg (39KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
vivan-pm-ttyd.jpg
39KB, 564x564px
>>3499091
>I never played Paper Mario TTYD
You need to get on that shit ASAP. It's a really good game.
>>
it's a fine game. go play it now
>>
>>3504058
Yeah technically Paper Mario was going to be the true sequel to Mario RPG
>>
>>3504478
When did being wrong become bait?
>>
>>3499016
For children, of all ages.
>>
I guess I'll ask this here since I'm in the same position as OP and have been thinking of giving it a whirl.

Has anyone played the SMRPG in Japanese? I've heard people claim that the localization is actually better than the original text, but I normally play JRPGs in Japanese since that was the language they were originally written in. Which language should I go for?
>>
>>3499471
I'll agree with you that the gameplay is a bit clunky compared to today's games, but the game makes up for it in art style and charm, which hold their own next to the best of modern games
>>
>>3504826
All I know that as a German native speaker that anything translated to English reads like shit.

It's always best to enjoy the media in the original language it was made in if you can. Unless significant improvements were made to the release...

Magic of Scheherazade comes to mind.
>>
>>3504751
Purposefully falsifying information in a very obvious way is absolutely bait to get mad responses, and has been for some time.

Alternatively you could be a cool guy and play along. But I guess Mario is too serious for that.
>>
>>3505013
There's actual bait, then there's being straight wrong and trying to play it off as bait
>>
>>3506989
Ok you caught me champ.

I really did think that MS Paint edit of Mario was the real deal.
>>
>>3507312
That isn't even an MS paint edit. It's an actual rom hack done to make Luigi the main character instead of Mario.
>>
>>3499016
I was in high schoil when this came out, but played it for the first time 4 months ago. It's not very good after playing things like Paper Mario.

The last boss + minions felt very "tacked on" as well. It's like they didn't know how to end it and went "fuck it, throw this dude in there really quick".
>>
>>3501894
Not a ROM hack, Luigi is a hidden cameo, kind of. It's not actually him, just a hidden optional boss posing as himl
>>
>>3508521
>Bait: The Post
>>
>>3501401
>>3501429
Superstar Saga is classic af senpai. Now only if I can find my cart and play that shit again fml.
>>
>>3499478
>>3499484
No way! Mario, Geno, Peach has been my go to since childhood
>>
>>3511957
I think I did a Mario, Geno, Peach run once, actually. I've played through so many times it's hard to remember, really.
>>
>>3513515
Are you a bad enough dude to do Mario, Mallow, and Peach run?
>>
>>3514069

Are YOU a bad enough dude to do mario, geno, and mallow?
>>
>>3514075
I should try it, but at the moment, I have no means to play the game
>>
>>3514069
>>3514075
It's not like it's hard.
>>
>>3514214

You're probably right, and something tells me SMRPG isn't one of those games that is fun if you do self imposed challenges to increase difficulty anyway.
>>
>>3504557
http://www.mariowiki.com/Vivian#Gender
>>
>>3514310
Yeah we know. It's not like it's a big secret.
>>
would've been cool if you could get freebies with timed hits
some people say you can, but I think that was just a myth
>>
>>3514069
Yeah, I used to use Mallow a lot so I could see the funny things Psychic would say for all the monsters.
>>
File: latest[1].png (8KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
8KB, 480x320px
>>3499451

>I think most people would find it enjoyable but ultimately inferior to the N64, Gamecube, and DS RPGS.

I basically came here to say this. It's still a good game. But it's been honed and tweaked and generally improved on by most of it's spin off games. I've been playing Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga recently and it really blows Super Mario RPG out of the water in most areas (apart from music and length). The combat in particular has been nicely upgraded.

But yeah, OP, still worth playing. But if you can, try some of the Mario RPGs that came after it too.
>>
File: temp.png (33KB, 180x176px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
33KB, 180x176px
>>3516365

The Mario & Luigi games also do a better job of actually feeling like it could take place in the Mario universe.

I love SMRPG to death, but some of those enemy and environment designs look so out of place for Mario.
>>
No, I feel anyone can play this game without being ridiculed for being childish.
>>
I feel that my other reply wasn't detailed enough in my reasoning so I will give more thorough detail. So this game is AMAZING, it's fun, great, EVEN MORE AMAZING. It's a nice game to play. So I wouldn't mind.
>>
>>3514150
snes9x or bsnes won't bug out
>>
>>3499016
The atmosphere and plot is no more childish than any other Mario game, that being said it's not exactly Battletoads-tier difficult tho
>>
>>3516753
I'd argue that the atmosphere is somewhat less childish than the average Mario game.. Not in an attempt to bolster SMRPG or anything, but the art style kind of goes in a slightly more realistic direction without the cartoonish Mario aesthetic.
>>
I played it for the first time a few months ago. It's a great game. The dialogue/writing, timed gameplay, art style, and characters are all great. I had a ton of fun playing this game.
>>
>>3516417
That's case it's another world taking over. It won't only have Mario enemies.
>>
>>3518351

But only a handful of the Mario RPG enemies are actually from another world. There's even several bosses with no affiliation with Smithy ( what the fuck even is Belome and Punchinello?) There were plenty of oddities that we're expected to believe were living in the Mushroom Kingdom the whole time, like everything in Nimbus Land, Booster Tower, Mole Ville, The Sunken Ship, Ect.

Even some of the Mario enemies got their design a little fucked up. And the environment design doesn't really scream Mario either outside of Bowsers Keep maybe.

I'm really not knocking the game, but the whole aesthetic of the game doesn't scream Mario, while Mario and Luigi feels more like it could take place in the Mario Universe ( except maybe that stupid Tooth Beach in BiS )
>>
you like Mario?
you like RPGs?

you'll probably like Mario RPG
>>
>>3514075
>>3514069
>>3513515
>>3513515
>>3511957

Mario geno and bowser is the only right choise. Maybe peach to tank water blast in the yaridovich fight
>>
>>3501429
So as someone who loves Mario RPG (top all time) but has never played any of the Mario and Luigi games (art style looks off putting to me) is it worth commiting to the GBA one which seems to be the only one everyone agrees is good?
>>
>>3519923

I feel like most Mario & Luigi fans would enjoy Super Mario RPG, but not all Super Mario RPG fans would like Mario & Luigi.

The battle system is fine, but the overworld mechanics can be a pain in the ass.

Just give it a try, and if you're still unimpressed after a few bosses, then that's all there is to it.
>>
>>3519193

You want Peach.

She can do crazy damage with frying pan, and has good special abilities. My part was always Mario with lazy shell and armor, Peach, and Bowser.

Ive heard Geno is better than Bowser, but I didnt use him right and I was 11.

Everyone agrees Cloud sucks.
>>
>>3499016
It definitively makes a better work recreating the mushroom kingdom than any other Mario RPG made by Nintendo, it has that medieval atmosphere squaresoft games had.

Storywise it has some stuff that will make you chuckle here and there.

I don't remember if this was turn based or active-time but it was way more fun than other RPGs at the time. It is easy but that means less grind.
>>
>>3519974
This. Back when I was a kid, sucked at videogames, and had two of my three party members (Mario and Geno IIRC) killed really early in the Culex battle, Peach pretty much ended up soloing Culex with Lazy Shell and Frying Pan.
>>
>>3499016
I think this game is pretty great for the sheer weirdness alone, but it really is a solid title. Do recommend.
>>
Overrated IMO. I really don't like the writing style that the dialogue uses. I mean, I guess it might be a decent game if I could stand to play it for more than 15 minutes. But I feel like the ship has sailed, I'm too old to really "get" it now and I have no sense of nostalgia when I play it. I'd rather play something like FF6 or Chrono Trigger.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.