[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ZX Spectrum vs. C64. Let's fight about it. Which of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: sasas.jpg (149KB, 806x756px) Image search: [Google]
sasas.jpg
149KB, 806x756px
ZX Spectrum vs. C64. Let's fight about it.

Which of these two does /vr/ think is better?
>>
Atari 800.
>>
A lot of it depends on personal preference and what you grew up with.
That being said, the C64 shits all over the Spectrum.
>>
>>3498283
Pretty much exactly this.

>>3498271
Have you even looked at the games on the two platforms?
>>
File: Sabre_Wulf_4.png (15KB, 257x388px) Image search: [Google]
Sabre_Wulf_4.png
15KB, 257x388px
>>3498313

I have.
>>
>>3498271
I had a C64 growing up. It used to piss me off when "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" would come up because I never got a tape deck for it.
>>
>>3498271
C64 is objectively better; it can do either multicoloured background + sprites simultaneously (even multi-layer backgrounds) at a lower resolution, or single colour sprites at a higher resolution, than the ZX can. And it doesn't have the stupid 8x8 limitation.

And I'm not even getting into the sound chip, because that would be simply embarrasing.
>>
>>3498459

It does have that limitation, it's just hard to notice because the C64 has sprites and the Spectrum doesn't.

Plus, the C64's colors are so muted you wouldn't be able to tell if it did :^)
>>
>>3498423
Of course ports are going to have some corners cut but look at the top 10 games for both.
>>
>>3498468
>C64's colors are so muted you wouldn't be able to tell if it did
you cheeky bastard
>>
File: rtypespectrum.jpg (14KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
rtypespectrum.jpg
14KB, 256x192px
C64 is better but there are still lots of fun games on the spectrum
>>
File: TheGreatEscape.png (18KB, 580x441px) Image search: [Google]
TheGreatEscape.png
18KB, 580x441px
>>3498484

Top 64 game according to Lemon64 is Zak McKracken. Top on World of Spectrum (besides R-type) is The Great Escape. Obviously Zak McKracken looks a lot nicer, but they're both great adventure games.
>>
C64 easily wins in the sound department, but I think just about every other aspect is subjective. I love the look of c64 games but I also really like the crude almost VHD quality of spectrum graphics. Spectrum games tend to play a bit more fast and loose than c64 ones, which makes arcade style action games a little more satisfying than on c64 I think.

It's hardly the same as comparing something like the xbone and ps4, the same game on both computers will look and play differently. Personally I think embracing both platforms is best and you'd be missing out on a bunch of great stuff if you only stuck with one of the two machines.

>tfw living in Clapistan and knowing I'll never own original hardware for either without a shitload of shipping costs and then hassles getting the hardware to run properly on NTSC shit
>>
>>3498536
Woops, meant VFD not VHD. Don't work in IT and browse 4chan at the same time, kids.
>>
>>3498468
>It does have that limitation, it's just hard to notice because the C64 has sprites and the Spectrum doesn't.

... that's EXACTLY why it doesn't have that limitation.
>>
>>3498536
>VHD
What is VHD?
>>
>>3498682
Virtual Hard Drive.
>>
>>3498423
c64 colors look washed out as fuck
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>3498682
Meant to say VFD, which is vacuum fluorescent display. The coleco tabletop arcade mini cabs and a lot of late 70s/early 80s handheld games used VFDs. While obviously they're totally different technologies, the spectrum games that are primarily black remind me of VFDs quite a bit. Sabre wulf especially.
>>
Bruce lee shits all over any game on the spectrum
>>
>>3498523
That version of R-Type always leaves me in awe. I'm a United Statian so I've never had a chance to play a real speccy but I find it very interesting.
>>
>>3498769
You must have fucked up your filters emubaby.
>>
File: dontthink_feel.gif (12KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
dontthink_feel.gif
12KB, 256x192px
>>3498814
It sure does.
>>
>>3499340
I never thought about this stuff as a kid but... some of the artistic decisions in these games are just baffling

I mean, filling almost half the screen with the company's logo displayed three times? The blinking effect on the game logo? What?
>>
File: Apple ][.jpg (40KB, 550x374px) Image search: [Google]
Apple ][.jpg
40KB, 550x374px
Neither. Apple master race.
>>
>>3499363

Not really comparable since the Apple II was so expensive.
>>
I had both and C64>ZX.
The 64KB of ram and SID make ALL the difference.
>>
>>3499387
Poorfag.
>>
Aw nigga, I lived in Speccy land (not UK, Spain) where the C64 was unseen. And I always preferred the C64. Doomed by birth location. :(
>>
>>3498271
If it weren't for the SID chip in the C64 they would be equal, but C64 is superior hardware wise, hands down.
>>
>>3499387
Not only that, C64 is far better in anything than office work.
>>
C64. No contest. If you think otherwise you are a Britbong dad clouded by nostalgia. Not that the Spectrum was terrible, it has it's share of neat exclusives, but the Commodore outclasses it in so many ways.

>>3498769
>>3498468
Because PAL. The NTSC C64 palette is much nicer.
>>
>>3498523
>>3498843
I need to try that sometime.
>>
>>3498429
You didn't have a disk drive either?
>>
>>3498271
The Spectrum has some fucky colors, but it still has some charm. It didn't have any built in joystick ports, that was something you needed an interface for, there were 3 standards, but the Sinclair standard wasn't dominant, I think the Cheetah standard was.
>>
>>3503001
Pretty sure Kempston was the most common since it was compatible with the Atari DE-9 standard that almost every home computer supported.
>>
>>3503047
All standards used DE-9 pin joysticks, but the games had to be compatible with specific interfaces.
>>
File: comparison.webm (2MB, 584x396px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.webm
2MB, 584x396px
>>3501938

Don't bother. The C64 version, while not very good, is better than the supposed "greatest Speccy game ever".
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.