[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So if American/Japanese-made games run slower than intended on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: pal_ntsc_tile.jpg (9KB, 289x100px) Image search: [Google]
pal_ntsc_tile.jpg
9KB, 289x100px
So if American/Japanese-made games run slower than intended on PAL, does the same apply to the reverse meaning European-made run faster than intended on NTSC?
>>
>>3495482
Doesn't matter. There aren't any worthwhile European-made games anyway.
>>
>>3495482
They probably run just as shit as in PAL.
>>
I don't know why the worthless parts of the world chose the worthless video standard. Bad colors and bad refresh rate.
>>
>>3495489
The thing is, they could run far worse. Game-breakingly worse even. I've had some games like NTSC MediEvil seemingly run faster than intended, but I didn't compare it.

The question is not wanking about which standard is better at what but which is the optimal way to play a given game considering its own technical aspects
>>
>>3495490
I know this is meme but I though PAL "colours" were better?
>>
File: beyond.jpg (295KB, 1000x604px) Image search: [Google]
beyond.jpg
295KB, 1000x604px
>>3495482
>>3495482
In my limited experience, no. I heard a lot that Beyond Oasis had shitty, choppy controls and I never knew what people were talking about. But then one day when starting another run I decided to play the PAL version called Story of Thor to see if anything was different.

It didn't play any faster, it just looked choppy as hell like animation frames were cut and the response time didn't seem right.
>>
I know some games like streets of rage used the extra resolution, but most games didnt fix the speed. Wish there was an easy way to patch my pal games to be 60hz
>>
You can find European game soundtracks online in 50hz and 60hz versions, so probably.
>>
It greatly depends on the console, lots of stuff to explain.

>>3495583
>Wish there was an easy way to patch my pal games to be 60hz

Since you mentioned SoR, I suppose you're talking about MD games. You don't need to patch those, because the thing running them at 50Hz is the console itself, so you need make a 50Hz/60Hz switch mod. Some games won't boot because they are region-locked, but they're a minority, and most of the times switching refresh rate after boot won't produce any unintended side-effect (except from speeding up the music). There's not much that can be done for Sonic 3 alone for example since it's very demanding in terms of hardware, and the default PAL v-sync code to get rid of those crazy pixels on the lower border (being PAL you probably never saw those) area makes it impossible to run as good on 60Hz, which has much less time to process stuff in between v-blanks.
>>
Shadow of the Beast: Ports
>European television systems run at a 50 Hz refresh rate, whereas television systems in North America and Japan have a 60 Hz refresh rate. The conversion team for the Genesis version did not change the amount of time each frame remained on screen when the refresh rate was increased to 60 Hz, making it run 16.7% faster than the original. The Japanese Mega Drive version runs at the correct speed and has enhanced in-game graphics as well as a toned down difficulty setting.

I think there are some other games. What I do know is that the PAL exclusive NES game Super Turrican will play in the correct speed on NTSC consoles.
>>
>>3495486
European games > Japanese games > misc. games >>>>>> shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> American "games"
>>
File: keen3.gif (8KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
keen3.gif
8KB, 320x200px
>this passed for a '90s American game

I kind of pity the lards.
>>
File: ecco.jpg (428KB, 912x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ecco.jpg
428KB, 912x1200px
>>3495486
>There aren't any worthwhile European-made games anyway.

Nigger I'm gonna fight you.
>>
>>3495482
No one knows. There has never been a PAL only game anyone ever wanted to play. kek.
Yes. Depending on the system it can run slower, not run at all, etc
>>
>>3495482
Yes that's correct if the game was designed for PAL territories from the ground up. or with games that only got a PAL release. For example the Master System games Power Strike 2 and Ninja Gaiden - in NTSC mode are waaayyy too fucking fast. They are meant to be run at 50hz. There are plenty more examples.
>>
File: 1472852731879.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1472852731879.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3496824
>European games > Japanese games
>>
RoboCop vs The Terminator on Megadrive/Genesis was clearly intended for 50hz.

It looks and sounds like a Benny Hill sketch on NTSC systems.
>>
>>3497913
Weeb
>>
>>3496696
Shadow of the Beast is hell at 60 Hz.
>>
>>3497913
>anything > penguin posting faggot
FTFYK
>>
>>3495486
Rare (now Playtonic) will like to have a word with you.
>>
>>3498258
>will
>>
>>3498258
They're a mid tier European dev. Nowhere near Psygnosis.
>>
>>3498267
Only because Microsoft bought them out, when they were with Nintendo were great-tier but not god-tier like HAL Laboratory & Intelligent Systems.

LJN & GameTech however were another story.
>>
>>3498276
No, not because Microsoft bought them. They were never great.
I don't care about those Japanese and American developers you mentioned, we're talking about European developers here.
>>
>>3495482
Yes, assuming from trying to play PAL roms on an emulator that forces 60 FPS.

I downloaded a ROM pack and put it on my PSP, most of the ROMs are in PAL format. The emulator I have for it doesn't scale down the FPS by default, so when I'm playing at 60 frames, everything runs a little faster. Thankfully, it has a speed switch I can customize to slow it down to 50, so it's not so horrible.
>>
>>3495482
Depends on what game you're talking about. There's American or Japanese games that were released in PAL and they adjusted the music and speed of the game etc, so I'd guess there's cases where they did the opposite.
>>
>>3496824
>European games > Japanese games

I wonder if anyone actually believe this unironically
>>
>>3499142
The 0.1% of the euro population who is old enough to remember good euro games and wasn't born in Africa does.
>>
File: Infogrames_1996.png (22KB, 369x214px) Image search: [Google]
Infogrames_1996.png
22KB, 369x214px
>>3499142
Yes
>>
>>3499554

So you think Infogrames are better than, say, Capcom, Taito, Sega, Namco, etc?
>>
>>3495490
they didn't want their country to get addicted to video games. It's hard to get immersed when the game is a fucking slide show. just look at the mess that is every nation that adapted 60hz, we're unbelievably so enthused about video games.
>>
>>3496824
and this is why people shit on euro games so hard.
just look at how easy it is to upset them.
there are tons of good euro games but the automatic reaction to anything is this shitty sort of post.
>>
>>3499564

Infogrames published Driver, nothing japan ever made comes close to it.
>>
>>3498362
Yes they were great, now that greatness is now at Playtonic.

If you want a mid-tier European dev try Ubisoft where they only have 2 good IPs (and one of them is not retro yet).

>Ubisoft's good IPs are Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil.
>>3499584
>Super Mario Kart (and it's sequels)
>Daytona USA
>Even Rage Racer is better then Driver.
>>
File: 002-178-45.jpg (84KB, 412x398px) Image search: [Google]
002-178-45.jpg
84KB, 412x398px
>>3500019
>Super Mario Kart
>>
>>3500019

>Pixel shit
>Being better at racing than 3d

Anon, get your nostalgia glasses off. Not a single game you listed comes even fucking close to Driver, yet alone V-Rally 2.

Anyway, the nips are experts on churning out the same game constantly with slight changes here and there.
>>
>>3500223
>Anyway, the nips are experts on churning out the same game constantly with slight changes here and there.

Activision and EA aren't Japanese.
>>
>>3500228

The 20 billion beat em ups that are practically the same shit come from japan, almost all the fighting games that are beat em ups without the stages come from japan, you listed some companies that release a yearly franchise, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE WHOLE FUCKING INDUSTRY HERE fucking weeaboo.
>>
>>3500236

Woah calm down, I was just pointing out japan aren't the only ones who do it.
>>
>>3500240

>What are two or three companies out of a country vs all of them out of another

Anon, are you really this dense?
>>
>>3500261

Yeah, let's completely ignore the entire western industry plagued with open world bullshit and zombie shit, japanese are the worst! they make too much beat 'em ups!
>>
>>3500261
Every Japanese developer only makes beat 'em ups? Interesting, you learn something new every day.
>>
>>3500267
>>3500274

Beat em ups
Platformers
RPGs

99% of the Japanese industry
>>
>>3500276
Don't forget visual novels. They shit a lot of those.
>>
>>3500276

I thought you said they only do fighting games and beat 'em ups. Now we add RPGs and platformers? Suddenly it gets more diverse.
>>
>>3500276
And shmups, and puzzle games, and adventure games, and racing games. But other than that, sure, I guess.

Better than nothing, which is what Europoor devs make.
>>
>>3500276

what about run 'n guns?
rail shooters as well.
>>
>>3500276

don't forget TBSs like Romance of the three kingdom and many other Koei games
>>
>>3500276
and wrestling games.

capcom and AKI made the best wrestling games available, japan or not.
>>
All of them conveyor belts churning out shit after shit until they struck gold in one or two games
>>
The Japanese market is probably the most diverse one there is, so someone seriously claiming all they make is beat 'em ups is just outright hilarious. Hell, that's not even the first (or second, or third) genre most people would think of when it comes to Japanese games.
>>
>>3500307
That doesn't mean that hey aren't experts on reselling the same game with slight tweaks, 6 megaman games on the nes nigger, 6.
>>
>>3500315
But Megaman aren't beat em up games, are they?
>>
>>3495508
I assumed people said this because of SCART
>>
>>3500315
Some companies found success with that, sure. Much like American companies did with sports games and FPS. And European companies did with... well, I guess they haven't found long-lasting success with much of anything, have they?

On the other hand, Japan is also responsible for some of the most quirky, inventive shit on the market.
>>
>>3500327
No, PAL actually does have better colors. We just say it doesn't t trigger Australians.
>>
>>3495486
That's not true at all.
>>
>>3500223
Yes they do, those games ass rape Driver & V-Rally 2.

>Pixel
Daytona USA & Rage Racer are 3D games, also...
>Mario Kart 64 (the only other Mario Kart game this board allows).
>>
>>3499584
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.