[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experiences with these arm A9 based boards for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: wb20121024-002-900.jpg (337KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
wb20121024-002-900.jpg
337KB, 900x750px
Anyone have any experiences with these arm A9 based boards for retro games?

And I mean, any of the I.MX6 based ones. (though the Wandboard Solo specifically looks worth consdering. Equivalent hummingboards seem very similar too.)

It's not actually the CPU that's of interest, it's the Vivante graphics chips - supposedly they support desktop openGL, and have strongly developed open drivers. (and presumably emulate SNES and CPS2 or thereabouts)

(err, odd SBC general, I guess, especially ones other than your standard issue raspberry-pi and Odroid)
>>
you could build a brand new x86 machine for the same price.
>>
>>3494634
No you can't.
>>
>>3494698
the wanderboard solo is 1Cx1ghz 512mb ram $79
that is am1 quad core money.
>>
File: 1453054456324.png (81KB, 553x585px) Image search: [Google]
1453054456324.png
81KB, 553x585px
Can I talk about RASPBERRY PI in here?

>inb4 people shit all over RPI emulation
>>
>>3494776
Raspeberry pi doesn't even have actual openGL. Mesa a shit!
>>
>>3494776
Obviously.

Emulation is all RPI is good for anyway.
>>
>>3494627
You don't need that GPU to emulate that stuff.

>>3494698
No, you can't. The rest of us can.
>>
>>3494807
No. The hardware is under powered and the software is terrible. Emulation station is shit eye candy wrapped around Retroarch which has always just been shit running on under powered overpriced shit hardware. Shitception.
>>
>>3495873
Oh, I'm sorry for not being brilliant enough to reach for an L&C or Deer power supply and whatever macro-ATX case actually sells for less than anything compact.

And the SNES/CPS2 comment was just a statement about what the SoC seems capable of; okay, it was misworded. Emulation relates to this the same way as everything - A9 being a step up from A7 would be useful for single threaded emulators, clockspeeds notwithstanding. Though it is due to be the main use.
>>
>>3497217
>brilliant enough
Most downies could manage it. Not sure what's wrong with you. You could have just said you want a hipster memeulation box and are too hardcore for a mere pi.

The SNES/CPS2 comment was perfectly worded. It illustrated exactly how little you know and why you should just get whatever you feel like getting and enjoy the lag and stutter. Because your goal isn't to emulate games. If it was you'd just get a cheap PC like everyone else.

I have a buttload of single board computers because I work with them. These cheap Arm systems are pretty shitty for emulation. I'm sure you'd be able to fool yourself into believing they're perfect like so many others have. But that doesn't change the facts.
>>
>>3497567
If I wanted a hipster counter-pi. I could have gotten that at the start with a VIA APC.

That's just being silly, no one would actually believe openGL mattered for SNES and CPS2. For 5th gen consoles and Namco Sys 22, it's believable, but then if it was important for something popular like that, the emulators would simply be written for openGL ES. Fine, CPS2 was an awful guess for a single core ghz A9, no idea why that didn't say CPS1. But no one said this had to be exclusively about emulation!

I'm sorry you have tons of octa-cores at hand and have your heart set on Saturn emulation or whatever of that sort.
>>
>>3497917
>That's just being silly
Sure is. That's why I'm glad you said that at the start to establish a baseline of your level of knowledge. It's far too low for there to ever be hope of you building even a clock boy tier memeulation box.

>octa-cores are the only SBCs produced.
It's even worse than I thought. I'm worried you might harm yourself trying to tie your shoes.
>>
File: you no mess with wang!.png (155KB, 320x300px) Image search: [Google]
you no mess with wang!.png
155KB, 320x300px
>>3494627
>that wand image on the PCB

I always read it as "wangboard".
>>
>>3499949
>wang
Apparently OP isn't the only faggot.
>>
>>3499992
Hey, don't look at me, I just assumed it was from some Chinese creator, like the Banana or Orange Pi, or from some oddly named Korean, like the Odroid or Arndale board.
>>
>>3500129
>hey look at me. im underage and drunk.
There's a reason for them age limits on teh hooch kiddo.
>>
>>3494634
>>3494698
>>3494732
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7rqFrH

4Cx2ghz 4GB ram igp compatible with DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.2.
>>
>>3500715
Pretty good price.
>>
>>3500715
That's hardly a complete system. A thumb drive isn't going to run as smoothly as a simple class 10 SD card - assuming that board doesn't hassle you over such an odd booting setup. And it needs a 3-rail power supply, and a case - which are what are due to have the significant shipping costs.

And then there's the fact that they're not comparable in the first place - that can't be swiftly made portable the same way. And the stock HSF on that thing will be damn whiny. Not equivalent...
http://shop.udoo.org/usa/neo/udoo-neo-basic.html
http://www.auseparts.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=89&product_id=201
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.