[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /vr/ hate the Amiga so much? I've never seen such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 16

File: Amiga.jpg (357KB, 1200x738px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga.jpg
357KB, 1200x738px
Why does /vr/ hate the Amiga so much? I've never seen such a disdain and resentment for a system before.
>>
>>3494180
no japanese games
>>
File: turrican 3.jpg (89KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
turrican 3.jpg
89KB, 640x448px
>>3494183
Turrican 3
>>
Nobody hates the Amiga, it's a great computer for its time.

We just don't care too much about its game catalogue.
>>
>>3494180
Because most games only used 1 button and for sidescrollers, pushing up to jump sucks.
>>
>>3494190
lol
>>
>>3494190
Was that made in MS Paint?
>>
I don't see much Amiga hate, more like people just not agreeing with all the yuros who say it's better than SNES/Genesis/PCE.
>>
>>3494180
>I've never seen such a disdain and resentment for a system before.
Then you haven't been in any Nintendo or Sega threads, where the two sides are constantly shitting on each other.
>>
I don't hate Amiga but I fucking hate obnocious yuropoors on /vr/ and so have to shit on all their inferiority-complex machines by proxy.
>>
>>3494180
>I've never seen such a disdain and resentment for a system before.
That reaction stemmed against "Australia-kun's" comments on the Amiga version of Castlevania (which even Amiga fans in general consider a bad port). People kept diminishing the system to counter his shitposting, but it ended up infuriating Amiga fans who began to defend it.
The heat seems to have passed now, kinda. We even had a good Amiga thread a while ago that had virtually no hate.
>>
File: Fate_-_Gates_of_Dawn-1.jpg (91KB, 640x412px) Image search: [Google]
Fate_-_Gates_of_Dawn-1.jpg
91KB, 640x412px
>>3494180
/vr/ is full of literal children
>>
>>3494208
>with all the yuros

Didn't follow this board enough for confirm it or not, but most of the europeans I know played with SNES and let the Amiga being the "serious/not game-designed device" which I too think it is.
>>
>>3494329
>and let the Amiga being the "serious/not game-designed device"
The only country where consoles were really popular in the 80s-early 90s was the UK rest of europe was leaning towards the home computer side.
>>
>>3494359

Not really, consoles were popular in France, Spain, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and more.

I'd say, if anything, UK was more computer-centric than the rest of Europe.
Maybe eastern-european countries were more PC-centric, but they also had a lot of Famiclones and Segaclones thanks to Russia, China and communism.
>>
>>3494180
>Why does /vr/ hate the Amiga so much?

Because 4chan has a predominantly American userbase. They were too busy jerking off to 4 color NES games and measure Amiga stuff exclusively to how it compares to Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania.
>>
>>3494180
/vr/ = / v /= nintendogaf
That's why
>>
>>3494416

So you mean Segafags, Sonyfags, PCfags, emulationfags, etc can't bash the Amiga? Only Nintendofags are allowed to make fun of it?
>>
>>3494379
>Not really, consoles were popular in France, Spain, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and more.

I was born in Italy so I can confirm. Consoles were popular enough so that we even got jap imports in some areas back in the day.
>>
As an Amerifat I think it is great.
Just got done playing Arabian Nights not long ago. Been playing Moonstone here and there too.
Going to start up Cannon Fodder soon.
I find the graphics to be very beautiful and many of the games are still playable.
>>
>>3494449

You're breaking australia-kun's scheme that yanks shit on it. Delete your post ASAP before it's too late.
>>
>>3494180
No one talks about Amiga here, what are you talking about?
>>
>>3494494
I think there was a thing for like a short while where people were shitting on the Amiga basically to spite Australia-kun, because one of his main things is that he thinks it's the best system ever.

So basically to answer OP it's because of a really annoying shitposter who likes it.
>>
>>3494419
Other fanbases aren't even on this site. Just weebs that don't play everything but (j)rpgs and games that bore even children due to the (lack of) challenge.
>>
File: ruff_n_tumble_02.png (12KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
ruff_n_tumble_02.png
12KB, 320x256px
The reason any of us are here, instead of /v/ talking about The Last of Us or something, is because we care about old games despite their primitive graphics and low production values. We all, at least a little, chose substance over style.

And here's the Amiga, the epitome of style over substance. Its developers started out making low-budget C64 tape games controlled by a single button; with the Amiga, they graduated to low-budget disk games controlled by a single button. They did not have a background in console games (like the Americans) or arcade games (like the Japanese). They played (and copied) Great Giana Sisters instead of Super Mario Bros, or worse. But man, its games looked pretty! Crap developers or not, the Amiga 1000 was the best audio-visual experience 1985 could buy. The likes of Defender of the Crown and Shadow of the Beast were mind-blowing then, even thought their gameplay was complete shite.

The Amiga was plundered by its own developers, and its best games were all ported to every system in the 90s; anything left is just not worth playing. Look at Lemon Amiga's top 100. You cannot seriously tell us that Superfrog (#50) and IK+ (#66) are the pinnacles of their respective genres.

And if pretty graphics and lots of arpeggios is enough for you, then that's okay. Play whatever you want. But don't expect anyone on /vr/ to see things your way, and don't try to tell us that Ruff & Tumble would have been a hit on the SNES.
>>
>>3494379
Famiclone boom in eastern europe started in 93-94. Before that there were no consoles there, well at least not for normal people.
t.person from eastern europe
>>
>>3494516
That's true of like every retro game community though always ff3 earthbound and chronotrigger fags on every forum
>>
>>3494180
It's a good system with a lot of top tier RPGs. Unfortunately /vr/ is full of manchildren that have to justify whatever platform their mommy bought them back in the day by shitting on everything else. I recommend going to a site where people have played more than just Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy if you want to discuss Amiga games.
>>
>>3494516

Then if 4chan is full of nintendofags, why are you here? Stockholm syndrome?
>>
>>3494538
Biggest beef with the Amiga: A majority of games felt like they were fueled by enthusiasm for how it all looked and sounded rather than how it came together.

The best games of the platform effectively amounts to what, Sensible Soccer, Lemmings, and The Settlers? All of which eventually got ports even if it meant some graphical downgrades - but that's my point; you don't get ports if your game is shit.

Most Amiga games are uninspired copies of better games, or were technical efforts like pinball simulation, or efforts to simulate arcade visuals for racing games. Few European studios of that era ever developed a level head for game design. It was only once foreign video games became much much more mainstream that people suddenly realized "oh, what we've been doing is quite rubbish isn't it?"
>>
Majority of games on it were shit, as people have said, but the standouts were terrific. Turrican I-III might be available elsewhere but the Amiga versions haven't been topped, same with Cannon Fodder.
>>
File: 1300444405181.jpg (38KB, 449x458px) Image search: [Google]
1300444405181.jpg
38KB, 449x458px
>>3494180
Because /vr/ is full of weebs.
It's as simple as that, the Amiga was a great machine with great games.

This thread will probably turn into a bait and catch again.
>>
>>3494419
There are always Amiga thread and the first 3 posts someone says the SNES is better.

So yeah, haven't seen anyone else bash it.
>>
>>3494646
Settlers got the SVGA mode which was a massive graphical upgrade.
>>
>>3494538
>and its best games were all ported to every system in the 90s
I agree with everything, but if you're gonna play any of those games, then the Amiga versions are the go to, nobody bought an Atari to play Amiga games.
>>
>>3495060

Pretty sure on Amiga threads it's always just people saying japanese games are better. SNES is japanese but so are Mega Drive or PC Engine.

Your enemy is the "weebs", not just the nintendofags.

Unless you want your enemy to be specifically the nintendo side, but that's not your only enemy, let me tell you.
>>
>>3494550
>t.person from eastern europe
That's because it was part of the east bloc, that's not the same for other parts of EU
>>
>>3495065
Sorry, I don't have an enemy, I'm a retrofag and not a fanboi.

But someone always posts a pic of SNES specs and A500 specs and bitches.
Neither am I a weeb, so I can't see the point in mindless bashing and shitposts about one system over the other, I notice that kind of shit right away and sadly it's always with the Nintendo fanbois.
>>
>>3495071

Well, again, it's not just SNES fans.
I mean, look at the very first post itt: >>3494183

There's your answer.
>>
>>3495054
>>3495065
A real weeaboo appreciates the Amiga in the way the Japanese did.
>>
>>3495076
Indeed, but where you here a few weeks ago, there was like 3 Amiga related threads that ran for like a week or more and the firsts posts of all of them had the word "NES" or "SNES" in it.

This thread is an improvement, at least it's acknowledging all Japanese games.
>>
>>3495079
>real weeaboo
Do those even exists? A weeb is an delusional autist, closely related in it's mindset to a feminazi, he/she distorts reality to hes/her own liking.
>>
>>3495079

Nobody really hates the Amiga, people just comment that the games aren't that great, but the computer itself was a beast for 1985.
>>
>>3495090
Indeed, it's mostly just trolls who start bashing the system for other reasons.

It's a matter of opinion, taste, nothing you can actually argue about.
>>
>>3495101

Yeah, also, every system here gets hate, there is no sacred cow on /vr/.

The main reason Amiga gets more backlash than any other retro computer is because of what this anon said: >>3494293
>>
>>3495087
A true weeaboo strives to become as Japanese as possible.
Eating things that Japanese eat, watching things that Japanese watch and playing things that Japanese play. The ultimate goal is to move to Japan to live as a Japanese.
It's overall more akin to a religion.

Hating everything non-Japanese is not the Japanese way and therefore not fit for a true weeaboo. The main thing to hate are Corean and Chinese.
>>
>>3495148
>Hating everything non-Japanese is not the Japanese way and therefore not fit for a true weeaboo.

I agree, but what todays weeaboos are like feminazis, they aren't real weebs like feminazis ain't actual feminists.
Sadly, 99% of weebs are delusional autists who try too hard. The term "weeaboo" nowadays is more an insult than anything and they are disliked by everyone.
>>
>>3495154
This is /vr/ and not the modern world. We have different standards than the rest.
>>
>>3495184
That's exactly what I'm talking about, 4chan's weebs and not the rest of the world.
>>
>>3494180
I've never even seen Amiga hardware in real life. Every PC gamer I knew was playing DOS games.
>>
>>3495154
A weabo is essentially a feminazis, got it.
Funny thing Japan is so shit right now nobody wants to be like them.
>>
>>3495231
>I've never even seen Amiga hardware in real life.

Like 99% of /vr/ who like to shitpost about it.
>>
>>3495248
>A weabo is essentially a feminazis, got it.
As in they both distort reality and substitute it with their own.
As in, they are always right, no matter the argument.

That's the common thing they have.
>>
>>3495258
>As in, they are always right, no matter the argument.
Gotcha, weabos is 4chan.
>>
>>3494197
for you
>>
It's just a couple of insecure Americans overcompensating for their Australia-Kun boogeyman.

>>3494359
>rest of europe was leaning towards the home computer side
No, consoles became popular around 89/91 here because of the Megadrive and Master System/Nes being piss cheap. Amiga was for older kids that grew up with another home computer.
>>
People like to shit in any platform they didn't grow with, and specially its an """european""" platform people only will nitpick the horrible arcade ports or bad games there to prove I don't know the fuck point. I grew up with consoles and the first experience with a PC was using a DOS/Win3.1 when I was a kid back in 1996 and I can state: Amiga is amazing, it's a fucking shame I can only emulate it. Having some games to work using only one button sucks tho
>>
>>3495353
>Amiga was for older kids that grew up with another home computer.
Amiga was the home computer of that time in EU.
>>
>>3495393
Yes, most of /vr/ is like that, there's only a small number of true retro fags who appreciate every platform and don't fanboi just one.
>>
>>3495397
I meant older ones. In my experience, only teens and young adults that grew up with the ZX/CPC/C64 in the early 80s bought an Amiga later on, young kids from the 90s just got a console.

Obviously this is pretty anecdotal and limited to my country, but still...
>>
- a lot of people here hate everything euro for some dumb fucking reason
- They are not aware that most game developers for the amiga were amateurs who literally worked in their basements for fun, with little to no pay other than their game sales
- They are not aware that the amiga has some fantastic exclusives regardless of that
- They forget that the amiga was not supported by most major publishers, who simply had no interest in home computers with what was pretty much a europe-only market.
- They also forget that the library for Amiga was pretty much the same as the one for PC-DOS during its height. Does this mean that most PC-DOS games sucked as well? No, these guys simply didn't have an amiga.

In short it's just people being dickwads. Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>3495416
I rather have games from a guy in his basement than from some suit in a cubicle sweatshop.
>>
>>3495416
>They also forget that the library for Amiga was pretty much the same as the one for PC-DOS during its height. Does this mean that most PC-DOS games sucked as well??

They kind of did. DOS was a decade old when it started to get a decent library.
>>
>>3495416
>They also forget that the library for Amiga was pretty much the same as the one for PC-DOS during its height. Does this mean that most PC-DOS games sucked as well? No, these guys simply didn't have an amiga.
Disagree.
>>
>>3495416
>a lot of people here hate everything euro for some dumb fucking reason
Because 90% of this sites users are either weaboos or 'Murifags.

As you said, welcome to 4chin.
>>
>>3495449
It got good when the developers graduated from 8 bit computers and started getting dragged along by the hardware progress.
>>
>>3494180
I have no beef with the Amiga. However I hate the Atari 2600 as well as the C-64, the latter due to all of its fags we have in this country.
>>
>>3495449
NESbabby please. Home computers in general have had good games since the '80s.
>>
>>3494180

Woah man, I'm getting a massive nostalgia hit. Can any anon tell me what the third game on the top row is? The one with the purple blob.
>>
>>3495758

Why do you assume he's a NES fan?
>>
>>3494538

>sleep deprived
>write what I think is an ebin takedown of the Amiga and its fans
>wake up
>realize that I kept going off tangents and that it's overall badly written

My point was that Amiga fans are hated because they're the only "faction" on /vr/ who places graphics above gameplay. We don't gawk at scenery here.
>>
>>3495786
Its not a sin to gawk at graphics.
Why does everyone think that liking graphics = vain bastard that hates gameplay?
Its part of the retro experience to sit there and think "fuck how did they squeeze these graphics out of this shit hardware?"
I do it when I'm playing everything from the 2600 to the dreamcast.
>>
>>3495920
Ironically he glosses over all the RPGs on the amiga with deep mechanics in favor of action games for children.
>>
>>3494180
because most of them are jealous murifags.
>>
>>3494180
The Amiga is amazing, I wish I had one when I was a kid.

European programmers were the best at that time and some of their pixel artists were unbelievably talented.
>>
/vr/ hates the amiga? I don't think that's true. There's some pretty nice games on it.
>>
I think OP is referring to these threads, where there was a lot of vitrol toward the Amiga and the games for it:

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3417475
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3426492
>>
>>3496374
You can find those to most popular systems.
>>
>>3495416
>They are not aware that most game developers for the amiga were amateurs who literally worked in their basements for fun, with little to no pay other than their game sales
>implying that changes anything
>>
>>3495460
You hate a platform because of the people who like it? Check out the turbo faggot here.
>>
>>3495786
>Amiga fans are hated because they're the only "faction" on /vr/ who places graphics above gameplay.
Since when? Liking good graphics isn't related to not liking gameplay.
>>
>>3496659

That's like the main reason people hate on games/systems/brands, the fanbases.

Not justifying them, but that's how it works.
>>
>>3496374
There was one more thread, but I'm too lazy to search for it, the overrated Amiga thread.
>>
>>3496665
>Not justifying them, but that's how it works.
Lol no, that's no better than being a fanboi yourself.
>>
>>3496665
But that's just not true, by that logic I would have to stop playing and throw out 90% of my hardware and so would my friends who are into it.
>>
>>3496675

That's because you aren't a stupid fanboy who takes other fanboy's opinions as personal attack.

But it's true for most people who have an irrational hatred for pieces of old tech or software. They don't hate the systems or games, they hate the people that enjoy them.
>>
>>3496692
>But it's true for most people who have an irrational hatred for pieces of old tech or software.
Those kind of people should fuck off from /vr/ like the fanbois.
>>
Every Amiga game worth playing has a superior port to another platform.

The only good thing about the Amiga was tracker modules. The aliasing distortion is part of the appeal (kind of like JP-8000 supersaw).
>>
>>3496747
>Every Amiga game worth playing has a superior port to another platform.
Holy shit, people actually believe that?
>>
File: aygtmb.jpg (37KB, 415x570px) Image search: [Google]
aygtmb.jpg
37KB, 415x570px
>>3496747
you mean vice versa, the only reason to buy an amiga is because of those games that have their superior versions on the system

yeah tracker music and demos where a thing too
>>
>>3496759
Superior euroshit is still euroshit.
>>
>>3496762
Fuck off.
See >>3496705
>>
>>3494209
I don't understand why either, both are fun and have lots of great games
>>
>>3497194
Welcome to /vr/
>>
>>3495060
>There are always Amiga thread and the first 3 posts someone says the SNES is better

You mean just like when we have a SNES thread and in the first 3 posts someone says the Genesis is better and vice versa? It's called mindless shitposting, no one really pays attention to it.
>>
>>3497521
I know and that's where the SNES vs Genesis shit comes from, but he asked about why is it SNES vs Amiga and I told him where it comes from.
>>
>>3494180
My first computer was a C64 and I always wanted an Amiga, but we ended up becoming a PC house. I've still got my eyes peeled for an Amiga 500 or A1200.
>>
>>3497665
>Amiga 500 or A1200
Don't waste money on a 500, just go for the 1200 right away.
>>
>>3497669
There was an Amiga 1200 with upgrades on Craigslist a few weeks ago for $400 but I didn't have the money for it. I really need to start keeping more money in my savings for when these sorts of things pop up.
>>
File: 00j0j_bkcuHRJ1cIy_600x450.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00j0j_bkcuHRJ1cIy_600x450.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
>>3497673
I fucking know.
It wasn't also the best deal, you only need one with a Blizzard accelerator or a proper Indivision new old stock one, CF card and Indivision AGA, rest is optional.
>>
>>3497678
I'm sure that a deal that good or better will come my way eventually, but the most important thing for me is always that I don't end up paying the eBay price. I just need to make sure I am committed enough to check CL regularly instead of just at random times so I know I'm not missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity or if it's something that shows up fairly often in my area.
>>
>>3497694
IF anything even shows up, might think about getting one from farther away.
Depending what it comes with and what condition it is in, there isn't really a set price, some might go for $500 or more, only because some of the parts used in them are $100-$300 alone.
>>
>>3496659
>>3496692
Well, in the case of the Atari 2600, hating it is easy since 98% of the games are clones of each other and were built with the mindset that would later almost destroy the industry.

For the Commodore, it's the endless shilling by people that as if it were the best thing ever sours the deal for me. I played a bunch of C64 games at a friend's place back in elementary and they weren't all that great. International Karate + and a Bomberman clone were some of the better ones.

I grew up with the SNES though.
>>
>>3497856

The 2600 was a fucking pioneer though, much respect.

Coleco Vision is much better anyways

>tfw /vr/'s userbase will never be old enough to engage into heated 2nd gen console wars because there is no childhood memories to defend since they didn't exist yet

Feels lonely up here.
>>
>>3497856
>it's the endless shilling by people
It's like that for every platform here someone grew up with, most people here aren't open minded retro gamers but just shills that grew up with one platform and will defend it no matter what, if the sense someone does not agree with them.
>>
If I was to buy an actual Amiga computer, which version would be the best for compatibility for games?

Is a 500 too primative? the problem is that I can get a cheap 500 on ebay but there is also the higher end early-mid 90 models that are too expensive, nothing inbetween.
>>
>>3498035
See
>>3497669
>>3497678
>>
File: Untitled.png (150KB, 469x409px)
Untitled.png
150KB, 469x409px
Amiga Forever is supposed to be the best of the best. Around 2/3rds of the library is rated 3 stars or under. Only 3 got a 5 star rating.
>>
>>3498163
>Amiga Forever is supposed to be the best of the best.
Where did you hear that? Even actual Amiga folk hate it, it's a normie thing.
The Game and Demo library included in nonexistent, it's missing so many games.
Go check out HOL if you want games.
>>
>>3499368
>amiga isnt popular
>im not popular
>im an amiga expert normie
Fuck right back off to frog posting land
You sick broken faggot
>>
>>3499867
Butthurt much? Mad your trolling attempts fail?
>>
You'll want the Amiga 1200.

I also recommend compact flash, Indivision Scan doubler, and an accelerator.

You'll want WHDLoad as well. It makes it a lot easier to bridge the caps between AGA/ECS/OCS Games.
>>
>>3499931
someone already said that
>>
File: 1080bait.png (521KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1080bait.png
521KB, 1920x1080px
>>3499978
>>
>>3499961
But he didn't google it until just now.
>>
>>3500190
What?
>>
>>3500190
>Provides useful information. Is a dick to him.
kys.
>>
>>3499368
>HOL

Terrible name for a website that's supposed to deal with all things amiga.
>>
>>3500816
>HOL
>Hall Of Light
No, it's just a game database.
>>
>>3499872
>Butthurt much? Mad your trolling attempts fail?

What do you think? Pay attention to the "normie" on that post.
>>
Wasn't impressed by the Amiga compared to other platforms available at the time or before.

Graphics were great on the Amiga, often had the superior end of color palettes and detail. But some games required exclusively choosing between sound effects or music. Really? Kind of a bad trade-off.

Not enough exclusives, although they had the superior versions of multi-platform titles.

Too many garbage titles, as with every platform throughout history, but had a lower ratio of great games to really shit games. For every groundbreaking or beautiful title, there were five or six shit games that did nothing new or were mind-numbingly repetitive.

I love Motorhead, but the Motorhead beat 'em up on the Amiga was shit.

Games on the platform personified the European graphics aesthetic; surfaces looking rounded and shiny got old very quickly.

Shadow of the Beast was a shit game despite looking great.

Alien Breed wasn't as good as people report it to be, at least in terms of variety.
>>
>>3501805
>Alien Breed wasn't as good as people report it to be, at least in terms of variety.
It's terrible. Most team 17 games are.
>>
>>3501805
>>3501823
Appreciate you opinion, thanks.
>>
>>3501805
>Too many garbage titles
Yes, after all, everybody could make a game for it, nothing weird about that.
>>
>>3501827
Fuck you amigafags, stop trying to act all cool, all you have is yurotard games that suck dick and the platform itself was already outdated at release
>>
>>3500823
Stupid name nonetheless
>>
>>3501805
>Wasn't impressed by the Amiga compared to other platforms available at the time or before.
This, needed expensive addons just to get by
>>
>>3498035
Don't, just get an Atari ST, way more capable machine
>>
>>3501805
>Not enough exclusives, although they had the superior versions of multi-platform titles.
Why does a system have to take hostages?
>>
>>3502409
Console faggot logic.
>>
>>3495786
Honestly I'm an Amiga fan because that's what I had growing up. I only played games on it half the time, the rest I was dicking about in dpaint or octamed.

I'm nowhere near equipped to talk objectively about the amiga, because all my love for it stems from my childhood
>>
>>3501805
You should be ashamed of this post
>the platform is too open!
>>
>>3494180
back in the day only polish people had amiga, probably due to the amount of piracy?
>>
>>3502564
Only? Common, make up some better shit.
>>
>>3502548
See
>>3502443
>>
File: Speedball-2-4.jpg (112KB, 560x300px) Image search: [Google]
Speedball-2-4.jpg
112KB, 560x300px
>MFW I WAS WEALTHY ENOUGH TO GROW UP WITH AN AMIGA 500, SNES AND MEGADRIVE AND KNOW THAT AMIGA PISSED ALL OVER THEM BECAUSE IT ALSO HAD A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD INTERFACE THAT DID NOT TURN IT INTO A PLATFORM GAMING-ONLY PIECE OF SHIT, WAS VASTLY BETTER IN GRAPHICS AND SOUND, HAD A HOMEBREW GAME SCENE, HAD A DEMOSCENE, HAD STRATEGY GAMES (LOL CONSOLEFAGS), HAD POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURES (LOL CONSOLEFAGS), AND ALSO DISTINCTLY AND PROUDY LACKED THE AUTISTIC, INARTISTIC AESTHETIC THAT JAPANESE GAMES HAVE WHERE EVERYTHING IS SOME BIG EYED, BIG HAIRED TINY MOUTHED AUTIST FEVER DREAM WHERE THERE IS NO SENSE OF RESTRAINT NOR AESTHETICS OR SUBTLETY. PLUS YOU COULD COPY GAMES WHICH IS WHY I HAD FUCKING HUNDREDS OF THEM.

REALLY IF YOU PREFERRED JAP SHIT OVER THE AMIGA, YOU SIMPLY DIDN'T HAVE AN AMIGA

CHEERS
>>
>>3502678

You're right. Amiga games looked better, you could pirate them, and the platform had way more games in way more genres compared to consoles.

But the games all played like shit.
>>
>>3502682
>But the games all played like shit.
Muh opinions
>>
>>3494180
Because /vr/ was taken over by weeabos.
>>
>>3502687

>/vr/
>takenover

4chan was founded by a weeaboo.
>>
>>3502701
Hello newfriend.
>>
>>3502721

?
>>
>>3494359
>I'm talking out of my ass: the post
>>
>>3502724
It wasn't that kind of retarded weeb shit earlier, that's a latter phenomenon.
>>
>>3502728

Uh, sure thing chap. "Weeb" is just a strawman used ironically, if you're using unironically you probably shouldn't be on 4chan, unless you're masochist.
>>
File: 1262384489116.jpg (56KB, 680x680px)
1262384489116.jpg
56KB, 680x680px
>>3502732
You surely haven't been around for long to even know the evolution of the word, even less the board or site.
>>
>>3494180
/vr/ is no place for western hardware or games, go to a /g/ retro thread if you want to actually discuss a system without random shitposts.
>>
>>3502736
>the evolution of the word
What? that it originated from a random comic that had nothing to do with japanophiles, and moot used it as a wordfilter to avoid more shitposting, then resulting in even more shitposting?

>>3502738

Then how come /vr/ has a Doom general?
>>
>>3502743
>Then how come /vr/ has a Doom general?
Sheer numbers, a few of occasional shitposts from time to time but mostly the people in these threads don't give a fuck.
>>
>>3502747

Then why do Amiga fans give a fuck?

There isn't even that many shitposts here or people talking about japanese saviors.

If anything, you should direct your hate to american PC users, rather than "weebs" who don't even care about PC other than J-PCs.
>>
>>3502743
>What?
Exactly, it's the actual anons we like to call "weebs" nowadays that shitpost in these threads. Like western games are shit or all western computer suck, without reason.
>>
>>3502754
>Then why do Amiga fans give a fuck?
>There isn't even that many shitposts here or people talking about japanese saviors.
Because it's easy for them to shit on a few Amiga fags on this board, this thread is kind of good even, usually it's some brainless Nintendo babble.

>If anything, you should direct your hate to american PC users, rather than "weebs" who don't even care about PC other than J-PCs.
I don't even hate anybody, I'm just telling about the shit I have seen, I like many old games and platforms, including oldie PC and Japanese ones.
>>
>>3502738
Are there even any more retro threads on /g/?
>>
>>3502821
There's one right now, >>>/g/56637272 it's not that good like usually, sometimes there are 10 continuous threads a week because the reach bump limit and actually are worth spending time in
>>
>>3502827
Thanks
>>
Can someone point me to an Amiga emulation tutorial / basic tutorial about the system? My knowledge is pretty much "see hand, insert floppy, change floppies when game tells me", I tried WinUAE but it's kinda daunting.

Also, is there an Amiga recommended games collage like those for other systems I can see floating around here? Would appreciate it if so.
>>
>>3502873
Get Amiga Forever, check piratebay.
>>
>>3502873
Your best bet for ease of use would actually be Cloanto's Amiga Forever. As for games try:

Traps 'n' Treasures
Moonstone
Lemmings (if you haven't played that already)
D/Generation
Odyssey
Paradroid 90
Benefactor
>>
>>3502879
>>3502902
Got it. Any weird RPGs from that age? I loved the aesthetics but didn't get a chance to play them at the time. Current plans are: Black Crypt, Amber*, Perihelion.
>>
>>3502916
Dungeon Master, Hired Guns
>>
>>3502918
>Dungeon Master
Clarification: if there's a PC version I probably played it to death so no need to recommend it unless the Amiga version is noticeably better.
>>
>>3502916
DreamWeb is the only other one I can think of.

As for non RPGs there's Land of Genesis which is technically not retro, because it was released in 2001

https://youtu.be/LTRZcIwRg5A
>>
>>3502916
Fate: Gates of Dawn
Chaos Strikes Back
I think the Amiga Gold Box games were superior
>>
>>3494190
>>3494206
>>3494204
Don't talk shit about Turrican 3 Although Genesis version is superior
>>
>>3502873
>I tried WinUAE but it's kinda daunting.
A few years ago it didn't even have quickstart/model presets - so you had to choose the exact correct combination of cpu/fpu, chipset, rom, ram (chip, fast/slow) etc of the machine you wanted to emulate or it wouldn't work.

Now all you need to do is select either a500 or a1200 and it will run 99% of the games you throw at it.
>>
>>3504339
>few years ago
Son, that was a decade ago.
>>
>>3504406
Time flies when you're an old cunt :(
>>
more like amigay lol
>>
>>3504654
Ug-uh, I'm such a smug smart motherfucker
>>
>>3504657
stay exposed you fossil lmao
>>
>>3504658
What are you talking about?
>>
File: fascinating.png (340KB, 480x480px)
fascinating.png
340KB, 480x480px
>>3504654
Good one.
>>
>>3504654
did you come up with that all by yourself?
>>
>>3503341
it WAS the original developed version before they made the Amiga one
>>
>>3505254
No, work on the Amiga version started first but it was finished latter, after the Genesis version was already released.
You can thank the shitty market and Commodore that the Amiga port was shit and slow in development.
>>
>>3505259
Albion was originally going to be an Amiga game as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvh601ZRlk
>>
>>3494550
That's because you were former Communist states with no money. Meanwhile I remember a ton of people having consoles back in 1992.
>>
>>3505469
>with no money
At the time, money was not a issue, people where wealthy but you could not easy just buy anything you wanted.

>>3494550
We had a C64 what a family friend from Sweden bought us, with shitloads of software, in the mid 80's.

Early 90's was already a boom, around 91-93, I already had an Amiga and Genesis.

>t. person from eastern europe
>>
>>3505367
Interesting. I remember reading that Albion was a spiritual sequel to the Ambermoon series. That demo is vastly different from what was released and looks more like an Amber game.
>>
>>3505478
>I already had an Amiga and Genesis.
a fucking banana child
>>
>>3505807
>child
I was in my early 20's at the time.
>>
File: Atari2600.png (2MB, 1600x748px) Image search: [Google]
Atari2600.png
2MB, 1600x748px
>>3502548
>>
>>3505823
*a fucking banana manchild
>>
>>3505259
The Amiga version of Turrican 3 is considered shit? How come? Definitely not when it comes to sound, the soundtrack is stellar.
>>
>>3506706
Graphics, like the background, the Amiga version didn't get as much time and dedication.
>>
>Hate the Amiga
It's literally the best PC catalogue before Windows became the standard. You'd have to be a complete fucking douchebag to hate on it.
>>
>>3497194
>>3497210

Blame the marketing war between Nintendo and Sega in the 1990's. In the US there was a big marketing battle that turned into a war on the playground. It all stems from that really.
>>
>>3497859
I'd indulge but I don't know enough, I only have a 2600.

I will say needing overlays to play your games is dumb.
>>
>>3494274
burgershits, ladies and gents.
>>
>>3494274
Same. I don't actually give a fuck about the Amiga and am only vaguely aware of what games were on it, but it triggers yuropoors when I insult their precious game system so fuck the Amigay.
>>
File: amiga-defender-comparison.jpg (787KB, 1446x1330px) Image search: [Google]
amiga-defender-comparison.jpg
787KB, 1446x1330px
Better than the ST. ST had muddier colors, shittier sound. DOS was worse till SVGA and Sound Blaster
>>
>>3509385

yet one of the biggest sega vs nintendo shitposters isn't american, but british and/or ozzie.
>>
>>3509759
The best rapper is also white and the best golfer is a black dude, your point?
>>
>>3509797

I guess the difference is that shitposting doesn't make you rich.
>>
>>3509797
Eminem is shit
>>
>>3509821

He's talking about Vanilla Ice.
>>
>>3494180
Everyone is here because they hopped on one band wagon, this is just them jumping onto another. This new one is more niche though, so it helps their hipster cred.
>>
>>3510410
wut
>>
>>3510419
"Retro" games was the first bandwagon, hating a computer that is completely obscure in their country of origin is the current one.
>>
>>3509821
You don't know hip hop if you think that. some of his lyrics are pointless or cringy but his delivery is ridiculous and varied, flow, internal rhymes, alliteration, metaphors/juxtaposition/analogies, the guy has mastered a lot of what the legends like Tupac and big l are still known for. The guys incredible to this day, but since he's not young and angry anymore he doesn't have anything interesting to say, and he tries to hard. The only guy to come out in the last decade and break into the mainstream who can do what he can do is Kendrick.

Sage for completely off topic

>>3509826
This guy is GOAT though next to Lil B
>>
>>3494183
But ... but it's good.
>>
Best amiga emulator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_a6qMeWP8

I want to play alpha waves
>>
>>3511836
FS-UAE
>>
>>3497859
I can attest to colecovision being 100% awesome.
Pepper II and Nova Blast have yet to be topped
>>
>>3511836
>>3511872
Also that's not the Amiga version.
This is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOY0b_2zyM
>>
>>3511836
Winuae
>>
>>3513416
You mean UAE
>>
>>3494538
Wait... What background does the American developer have in console games? America stopped making games before the Amiga. I mean, it's clear you have no idea what games are actually on the Amiga, like the idiot you are, but to start raving about Japanese console games not having a preference for style is ridiculous. Look at the early SNES titles, like Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, F Zero, and Pilotwings. Shocking games. Awfully coded messes. They let the gameplay take hit after hit just to make the games look good.
>>
>>3514661

>Awfully coded messes. They let the gameplay take hit after hit just to make the games look good.

?
>>
>>3514671
I guess you haven't played them.
>>
>>3494538
>I played 3 Amiga games and think I know all about it because I'm deluded into thinking everything was consoles then
>>>/v/
>>
>>3514680

I did.

What about, for example, F-Zero is a "coded mess"? When I played it, everything worked fine.
>>
>>3514661
You will also notice that a lot of Japanese developers started out on computers in the 80s.
>>
>>3514693
Uh... Okay. I'd rather talk to people who know what they're talking about.
>>
>>3494197
>pushing up to jump sucks
On keyboard? No.
>>
>>3514719

>playing platformers with keyboard
>>
>>3494180
No one on here REALLY hates any particular computer. That's just silly.
>>
>>3514719
On a joystick
>>
>>3502916
Check Periphelion: the prophecy.
>>
>>3514782
That does suck.

>>3514730
>playing on a computer with """controller"""
>>
>>3514719
>>3514782
>>3514817
One good thing is, if you decide to emulate it you can map up to a button, so the game becomes more playable.
>>
>>3514817
>playing on a computer with """controller"""
Well, yeah, that's the point. If you want to use your computer for pie charts and spreadsheets then the one-button stick is irrelevant. Wanna play games? Games that rival the console releases of the day? Then it becomes very relevant.
>>
File: amiga.png (442KB, 1593x1246px) Image search: [Google]
amiga.png
442KB, 1593x1246px
Pretty shit Arcade homeports and fanbase of european autists.

Also they still make new Amigas, sort of
>>
>>3515953
Nice b8, I r8 8/8
>>
>>3514812
It's right there in the list.
>>
Alright lets just put this shitfest to rest already.

The NES/SNES and all the Sega equivalents had huge companies backing them with inhouse developed games, and were completely and utterly focused on delivering games whereas the amiga tried to do everything at once.

The Amiga was essentially the PC to their consoles, so it's games were mostly multiplats, alternative genres and low-grade enthusiast works stepping up to cash in on the absence of Sega/Nintendo's blockbusters.

tl;dr the Amiga was a fairly decent to good machine, but wasn't game-dedicated and didn't have a bigshot brand mascot to draw in all the dollah dollah. Cue fanboy wars.

And no, a furry skunk 5 years late is not a viable mascot.
>>
>>3516924
Yeah, but most ports of arcade games to Amiga were pretty crap, especially since there were many instances where it took a weekend. Also a good majority of Amiga users now are British fanboys who think that the picture I just posted is a good purchase, even if it is just "2550 dollar 2004 machine that does next to nothing!"

Amiga was a pretty nice computer and had some nice exclusives though.
>>
>>3519552
What the fuck are you talking about, that thing is only related to Amiga in name. Nobody gives a fuck about it.
>>
>>3518302
Was it really all about the mascots? I mean the C64 did fairly well although I doubt its library of games is known to Americans. Also, your tl;dr is almost as long as your original post.
>>
My cousin had a Amiga 32 with this sort of Diablo clone. It's a shame I could never get far since we stayed there for a few hours.
>>
>>3494183
>>3494180
Tell me, I am curious. What ages are the Amiga smees posting here?
>>
>>3495774
Altered Beast?
>>
>>3519871
Come on man. That doesn't look like Altered Beast at all.

>>3519814
>I could never get far since we stayed there for a few hours

Stayed where? What game? What is even happening?
>>
>>3519552
Yeah those British fanboys and their dollars, s m h pham
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.