[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always wanted to like when I was a kid Hexen but with all the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: Menu_cleric.png (18KB, 224x272px) Image search: [Google]
Menu_cleric.png
18KB, 224x272px
I always wanted to like when I was a kid Hexen but with all the switches and keys the game never once tells you what you've done by pulling the levers I was always lost and had no idea what the fuck to do.

With nothing new I care about coming out unitl Pokemon Sun; should I try the game again? Does this annoying not telling you anything ruin the game? Or is it not as bad as I remember?
>>
I'm a complete whore for switches and secrets but I agree that it's just tedious to play. You're sure you've found a super duper hidden secret, but it's actually just the way to continue the game.
Are there any good Hexen WADs ?
>>
Every time I tried to play this game I felt sick and got nauseous.
>>
>he likes the fighter

KEK
>>
File: image.png (218KB, 540x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218KB, 540x280px
>liking Hexen 2
>>
>>3490249
I liked it up to the Egypt levels. Then I got completely lost.
>>
>tfw thought the whole game was the 7 portals shit
>it isnt
>there is more game beyond
>tfw have never seen with own eyes
>>
I actually played it for the first time a few years ago and got stuck multiple times hunting for switches.
>>
UGH UGH UGH
>>
>>3490349
had it for 64 back in the day and tried again this year

cant get anywhere
>>
>>3490061
Just play Heretic if you want a weird medieval fantasy shooter. It's a much better game.
>>
>play this game as a kid
>scared of the ambient sounds
>the dripping sounds
>ravens cawwing
>>
>>3490061
>should I try the game again?

No. Hexen was really cool in almost every aspect except level design.
>>
Finished in on N64 as a kid and PC about a decade ago. Not a great game. Super tedious, spend a lot of time lost. The weapon upgrade system is okay at best. Classes are pretty weak, too. Heretic is better if you need the atmosphere, but Doom is more fun than either.
>>
>>3490061
>>3490067
>>3490349
>>3490360
>>3490535
wow. nice to see that i wasn't the only one.

I absolutely loved the presentation, the multiple badass characters and weapon choices, the atmosphere, the graphics, sound, etc. I basically love everything about the game except playing it.

It's just not fun. It's confusing and tedious.

i gave the game multiple tries. never got anywhere.
>>
File: 1473541945783.jpg (15KB, 246x250px) Image search: [Google]
1473541945783.jpg
15KB, 246x250px
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt lost 24/7 in this game. Someone said earlier, you'd find what you think were hidden or secret switches, travel back and forth pressing more thinking you found a secret level.....but it was all needed to progress to next area.
>>
No, it really isn't that hard to get through.
>>
I remember getting semi-far in it, but yeah, it was shit level design.
>>
>>3490916
No it really is, the level design is shit.
>>
>>3490140
Fighter works best for speed runs
>>
Personally, I like the game. There's no feeling that's quite like rubbing your face along a wall for hours just for the game to suddenly tell you "1/1000th of the puzzle has been solved." It's a unique feeling of gratification
>>
>>3490953
I replayed it earlier this year. It was fun and I never got stuck.

I do not have the game memorized beyond the seven portals.
>>
>>3490980
>I do not have the game memorized beyond the seven portals.

It's not cool to lie on the internet.
>>
>>3491021
That would be quite a feat of memorization given that last time I beat the game was in 2003 and I never got past the second hub as a kid.
>>
>>3491097
Dude seriously stop with the lying it's starting to tick me off now.
>>
I went back to the game recently and beat it for the first time a few months back. I gave up about 15 years.

You will definitely need a walkthrough or at least be taking notes. As frustrating as the game is, it is a fairly solid game, except for the limited weapon choices and centaurs in general. I'd recommend it with a guide. I did not have fun getting lost for an hour finding an obscure switch
>>
>>3490916
It's not 'hard' to get through, it's just tedious and lengthy.
>>
>>3490061
I wonder what it'd have been like if Hexen was more similar to Strife. That is, having quests and NPCs, rather than obtuse puzzle solving.
>>
>>3491220
It felt over too soon, honestly.

I should probably try the expansion one of these days.
>>
>>3492458
I don't think that would fit with the tone very well
>>
>>3492658
...huh? I've played plenty of games with a similar tone that did NPCs and/or Quests.
>>
Hexen is probably the only game where I wouldn't mind quest markers and a objective arrow.
>>
>>3490140
Fighter is best. He's a berserker packin' man and a half. Enjoy your moving slow and taking half the game to get a half decent weapon, m8. I'll be here dishing out plenty of damage from the start.
>>
>>3490061
I really liked Hexen's aesthetic as a kid too but I was never really good at it and didn't get very far

Now that I'm older I find the game fascinating and have plans to sit down and finish it. Some of the best games will frustrate the everloving shit out you but it's there to unlock your true potential.
>>
>>3490249
But hexen 2 was a great game. There needs to be more dark fantasy games like it.
>>
>>3492458

>I wonder what it'd have been like if Hexen was more similar to Strife.
>That is, having quests and NPCs, rather than obtuse puzzle solving.

But anon, Strife has obtuse puzzle solving too.

Go play the Bishop's Castle maps and tell me that isn't some fucking aimless switch hunting.
>>
>>
>>3490563
It took me a few tries. But it "clicked" and suddenly I had to play through the game. Honestly, the games gets 10x better after 7 portals. What a shitty stage to start the game off with.
>>
>>3494471
It was nowhere near hexen levels of obtuse.
>>
>>3492458
Having NPCs and quests would have been the way to go. You could play the Serpent: resurrection mod, its pretty much that. Very well made too, cut scenes, huge open worlds, boat journeys and everything.
>>
>>3492458

Strife is so underappreciated.

It was the 90s Deus Ex.
>>
>>3493254
I disagree. Objective markers are an incredibly lazy way of directing players, and diminishes the experience due to it removing the need for the player to think and explore.

What Hexen needed was better level design with helpful clues.
>>
>>3493373
Hexen is a game a kid most likely can't really get into. Same way here, I never beat it until I was older. Appreciated the graphics and mood, but couldn't "get it".
>>
>>3494471
>Strife
>Obtuse puzzle solving

I don't think we played the same game.
>>
>>3495680
So how come no one ever made a wad that unfucks Hexen's levels?
>>
Never properly finished it as a kid (my father did though, so I saw the final levels and the boss) and decided to properly play it last year. It went surprisingly smooth apart from having to use a walkthrough in the third hub. As long as you pay attention and investigate everything you're good to go. Some "puzzles" could be streamlined though, I guess. Cleric best class.
>>
>>3497963
Theres hardly any mods for hexen to begin with.
>>
>>3497963
Because you would need to design whole new levels, and its a lot of work.

Necrosis is excellent, as is Serpent: Resurrection. Scourge of Viscerus and Shadows of Chronos is ok, as is Wolfen.

a Morte could be worth checking out but its a cluster fuck of genres - hexen meets ww2 meets blood meets outlaws meets S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>3495586
90s Deus Ex is UU and System Shock
>>
>>3497963
Because they're not fucked to begin with.
>>
I recall at some point there was a Hero Quest mod for Hexen. It was kinda cute in a way.
>>
>>3490061
>Does this annoying not telling you anything ruin the game? Or is it not as bad as I remember?

Your post was actually a bit confusing to follow. You need to learn to break up your sentences better. I beat the game for the first time last year. I had played a tiny bit of it a long time ago on the N64.

It could be that I wasn't awful at the game but I didn't think it was confusing at all. In fact I never even needed a guide. You just got to get yourself in the mindset of lever hunting and be observant. I guess if I didn't enjoy the game I wouldn't have had the patience to do this but I found the game really fun so the level design didn't really bother me at all. With that said it could have been done much better I admit.
>>
>>3498586
Deus Ex is very different to those, though.
>>
File: 2009-09-01-heretic.jpg (276KB, 579x3017px) Image search: [Google]
2009-09-01-heretic.jpg
276KB, 579x3017px
I prefer Heretic, but that's mainly because I love Doom and Heretic is just Doom.
>>
Reminder that Heretic 2 exists and is pretty good.
>>
>>3492458
>Obtuse puzzle solving
Pulling a switch or trying to find a damn switch you haven't pulled isn't puzzle solving. It is just scouring areas, the most tedious sort of exploration.
>>
>>3500742
Semantics.
>>
>>3500542
Yes, yes it is.
>>
>>3490113
That's happened to me a couple times.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.