[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best version and way to play the original Ultima?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: Ultima_1_box.jpg (33KB, 239x338px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_1_box.jpg
33KB, 239x338px
What's the best version and way to play the original Ultima? Is the first Apple II version significantly worse than the 1986 version? How is the early 90's DOS rerelease?
>>
File: thief comparison.png (99KB, 1280x880px) Image search: [Google]
thief comparison.png
99KB, 1280x880px
The first version was written in BASIC and runs shoddily, the remake was written in Assembler and runs a lot better as well as fixing various issues.
There should be only one IBM-DOS release from 1986, everything after that should just be a repackaging.

The FM Towns port is the best. It has the most advanced graphics and actual music.
The towns and castles are no longer shown as a single screen but I don't think that's a problem.
>>
File: 1469894231783.jpg (1MB, 2008x2249px) Image search: [Google]
1469894231783.jpg
1MB, 2008x2249px
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-Part-2-Serpent-Isle/
>>
>>3489260
I think that the weird wireframe house looks like a better thief than the kid in the Punisher shirt.
>>
>>3489349
Sorry to find out you're retarded anon.
rip in peace.
>>
>>3489647
Rest in peace in peace? I think you may be retarded.
>>
>>3490821
It's stupid internet meme jokes, and I agree, the wireframe one looks better simply because the t-shirt dude looks so out of place.
>>
>>3490825
>stupid joke
>yet it oust newfag redditors ever single time
>>
What, scared to play the original, the real, the true version as originally intended by the creator, or shall I say, the auteur of this sparkling gem of video entertainment?
>>
>>3491105
I'm not sure which version LB suggests but it ain't the Basic one. That was just the best he could do at the time.
>>
>>3491195
Consider this: LB is a fucking idiot. Self Inserts like crazy (at least LB and Shamino, maybe more),making an NPC named after a girl he had a crush on confess her love for the Avatar, he dindu Nuffin.

And most damning of all, Shroud of the Avatar. Ultima is fun, but despite not because of, LB. Ultima 1 is fun, 2 is a disaster, and 3 and up are fun, ironically as more and more duties LB had got replaced with staff at Origin.
>>
>>3491238
>Dude LB is a fucking idiot because he self inserts

damn you convinced me bro! never playing ultima again! that guy is a big dummy!
>>
File: 197027.jpg (37KB, 225x242px) Image search: [Google]
197027.jpg
37KB, 225x242px
>>3491240
Shroud of the Avatar.
How he handles inventory management. Bags in Bags in Bags.
The text font in U7. The terrible light restrictions at night in U5-7. Even indoors.
How U4-5 clues to finish the game WERE LEFT OUT OF THE GAME. U2 too for that matter.
>>
>>3491247
Bags inside of bags is realistic bro. I like it.
Also; Leave Richard alone, bully.
>>
>>3491238
It's a shame they never remade 2.
The Towns port fixed some bugs but that effectively made it worse since you actually had to go into dungeons to get the tri-lithium and could no longer grind with ships.
The setup with the different times was pretty exiting.
>>
>>3491247
>How U4-5 clues to finish the game WERE LEFT OUT OF THE GAME. U2 too for that matter.
Tell me more.
>>
File: 1386411461883.gif (928KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1386411461883.gif
928KB, 444x250px
>>3491250
Bags inside bags is not realistic in the game sense. Its not unlimmited. Its restrained by the size of the outer bag. Might be useful say a backpack hold a small pouch full of coins. Whats not okay is a backpack to hold a pouch holding a sword whilst your backpack was burgeoning already.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.