[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doing a play through of pic related for the first time ever and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118KB, 700x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118KB, 700x640px
Doing a play through of pic related for the first time ever and absolutely falling in love. The graphics, the characters, the gameplay, the music... I'm enjoying everything about this game.

Are there any other SNES RPGs that are this good? Is the sequel Chrono Cross good as well?

I guess general SNES/RPG/Chrono series thread.
>>
Lol that game sucks
>>
>>3486127
>Are there any other SNES RPGs that are this good?
No.
>>
Yes but you wont like them
>>
>>3486397
What games were you referring to?
>>
>>3486127

Final fantasy 6 is on the same level
>>
File: 1457896218337.jpg (41KB, 540x307px) Image search: [Google]
1457896218337.jpg
41KB, 540x307px
>>3486127
CT lover here I recommend these, giving only SNES/SFC recorecommendations

Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest I-II
Dragon Quest III
Metal Max Returns
Live A Live
Earthbound
Final Fantasy V/VI
>>
>>3486127
The famous ones: Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound, Secret of Mana (action rpg)

Some "hidden gems" (the term exists, you like it or not): Lufia 2 and Terranigma (action rpg too)
>>
>>3486460
Forgot to mention some really good ones.

Final Fantasy 5 (for me it's the best FF, I said 6 just because it's a famous rival to CT), FF5 is so well designed that there's a huge crowd that plays it yearly even today (see ff5 job fiesta)

The Breath of Fire series is very good too, 1 was my first RPG and I have major nostalgia glasses over it, 2 has a deep story, and Katt; 3 and 4 for PS1 are very good too
>>
>>3486127
>Is the sequel Chrono Cross good as well?
Also no.
>>
>>3486127
>>3486498
From what I heard, chrono cross was a middle finger to chrono trigger and made a lot of stupid changes to the story.
>>
>>3486127
Did you copy that post word for word from the last one or did you mix it up a bit this time?
>>
>>3486127
I played this for the first time myself not long ago and loved it to death. Absolutely a 10/10 game for me.
>>
I'll never understand threads like these. CT isn't just an entry level JRPG, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play CT? Why do you want to play it now?

>durrr, have you guys played this Super Mario Brothers?
>>
>>3486760

Not everyone grew up with access to videogames? Or maybe they only got a Genesis? Or maybe their first console was a later generation? Don't be a prick
>>
>>3486760
>being butthurt about the fresh young boipussy on /vr/
Give it a rest. Let the kid enjoy a classic. Don't be jelly just 'cause he gets to experience it for the first time.
>>
>>3486760
Can't speak for OP but in my childhood I was riding bikes, chasing lizards and maybe playing some Pong or 2600. I know others here who barely caught the tail end of the N64.
Not everyone here is a pretentious 24 year old cunt like you.
>>
>>3486127
>in a resale shit shop
browsing the snes and game boy games...
get MK3 amd I think darius twin
> " you're the guy that got breath of fire 2 last week right" " you should get the crhono trigger we have..."
I tell him I had it as a kid and loved it but it's over priced and also I can beat it in a day... so no

> BBb-but multiple endings...

Like really? Fucking kikes
its not worth 110 dollars and it never will be.

this shits going to end up like the beta max player that ed and spike had steal to play fey valentines film... its all plastic and metal and will die.
>>
>>3487317
not that anon
> but the age is too close for comfort sir
us mid 20'sers need a break.
>>
>>3487326
English versions are way overpriced. I got a boxed near mint Chrono Trigger and other games bundled with it, all complete, in japanese though, for $30.

If you can read japanese, you can save tons of money. Why english is so overpriced blows my mind.
>>
>>3487342
game informer.
declared it being the greatest game of all time. #1

kind of a stretch considering it's linear for the most part and it has an ending. a wise person said any game in the top 5 shouldn't have a good job! game over screen... I agreed.
>>
>>3486127
Luckily, there are much better ones.
Yeah, but you probably won't like it.
>>
>>3486127
From a pure presentation point, Terranigma. CT gets abit of edge over Terranigma, though, because Terranigma kinda falls short towards the end. For gameplay I like Super Mario RPG and Seiken Densetsu 3. For atmosphere, Shin Megami Tensei. For the innovation it's Live a Live, and for pushing the hardware to the absolute limit, Star Ocean.

CT is the overall package, though.
>>
>>3486127
Live A Live, FFIV, DQV, Lufia II, Treasure Of The Rudras
Chrono Cross is also cool, but most people who like trigger hate it
>>
>>3487342
BookOFF haul?
>>
>>3487557
Ebay years ago from japanese seller. Came with a converter to play them on SNES free of charge. Guy was awesome and kept his shit very well maintained.
>>
>>3486760
Not everyone played every famous game in existance. I'm pretty sure you didn't too, baka
>>
>>3486760
Some people only had a computer back then.
>>
>>3486760
I wouldn't call CT entry level because normalfags care only about FPS games like call of duty or the latest madden NFL shit.
>>
>>3487752
You mean people born in a year beginning with 2.
>>
>>3486760
Except for the fact that Super Mario World on the SNES sold 10 copies for every 1 copy of Chrono Trigger sold. Not to mention Mario sold millions on the NES and was vastly more ubiquitous than Chrono Trigger. Shitty analogy anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games
>>
>>3487553
I love both. It's really a matter of what you're used to.

Don't know why this whole
>"yeah, there's x game, but if you probably won't like it"
is getting parroted three times in this thread alone.
>>
>>3487749

CT never came out in Europe, the only way to play was ZSNES. Why didn't you get ZSNES and download the ROM like I did? noob faggot
>>
>>3486127
>for the first time ever
Lucky bastard, enjoy it anon.
>>3486127
No. But FF6 is extremely good.
Chrono Cross is nowhere near as good.In fact few JRPG's come close to being as good as CT. It's a cruel world.
>>3486460
Secret of Mana is nowhere near in the same league. The gameplay, battle system, writing and level design are crap. Great music though.
>>3486468
>The Breath of Fire series is very good too,
Nah it's b-grade schlock.
>>
File: CpV_3AVWgAA7w8H.jpg (191KB, 600x810px) Image search: [Google]
CpV_3AVWgAA7w8H.jpg
191KB, 600x810px
Cross is the best RPG to ever grace a console, only utter plebs fails to grasp its glory.
>>
>>3488479
I can't tell who's more obnoxious, Harlefag or Kattfag.
>>
>>3486760
I grew up with a SNES but didn't play chrono trigger until my senior year in high school on an emulator, back on 2008. And I loved every fucking second of it. So much, that I bought the DS remake when that came out. Hell, I'm gonna replay it again just because.
>>
File: 1373164588939.jpg (57KB, 400x524px) Image search: [Google]
1373164588939.jpg
57KB, 400x524px
>>3486127

Its a decent game but probably wont satisfy as a true sequel. Its more of a spinoff that vaguely references CT. The gameplay is totally different but still good.
>>
I'm pretty much done this game and I'm noticing how similar it is to ff9, or how much ff9 takes from this.
>>
File: The_Bourne_Hoarder.jpg (599KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
The_Bourne_Hoarder.jpg
599KB, 2592x1944px
Chrono Trigger is one of my most favorite games. I never did play Radical Dreamers. I enjoyed Chrono Cross quite a bit, but of course I am a bit swayed by nostalgia to prefer Trigger and Cross is unable to live up to it. What system is the sequel to Chrono Cross on? I seemed to have missed out since I've kind of quit getting new games.

I want to start on Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes and Crono Trigger: Prophet's Guile sometime too when I get some time.
>>
>>3486127

Nope. This is it, bro. Thankfully the NG+ and time travel design make the game almost infinitely replayable - you can just keep going and going, searching for those alternate endings and finding new ways to go through the story. They really knocked this outta the park on the NDS port but a super Famicom is fine too.

Seriously though nothing else is even close. People will tell you that final fantasy 6 is as good but it's not even in the same league. Nothing is. CT is lightning in a bottle, once-a-decade tier video game.

Enjoy, friend!
>>
The Final Fantasy games are honestly kind of better. They sure don't look as good, though. Especially if you play them back to back.
>>
>>3486127

FF6 is the only thing that rivals it.

To this day.
>>
>>3488551
>Hell,
That's cute. You need to go back to Plebbit, and you won't even understand why I know you're from there.
>>
File: 1419446330966.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1419446330966.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>3489157
>normies, reeeeeee

not even him but this shit needs to stop.
Saying Hell doesn't mean you're from reddit and being this autistic over figures of speech automatically makes you worse than reddit users. Get off your neck beard high horse ffs.
>>
I get depressed every time I think I will never meet master piece like CT again
>>
>>3489001
There are over 30 alternate endings!
>>
>>3486535
It isn't a direct sequel. More like a spirit of Chrono, but very good too. In fact I balled like a little bitch at the end. Very sad.
>>
>>3489160
It's fitting that you used Heidecker as your image. Because, as we all know, Tim sucks huge Hollywood dick, and is an enormous stain on comedy. Eric would do well to drop him entirely.
>>
Which is the ethical option: Allowing Frog his vengeance, or sparing Magnus?
>>
>>3489206
Let Magus live. He has the same goal as you and all he really did to Cyrus was kill his gay faggot friend who was too weak to defend himself.
>>
No love for Illusion of Gaia here?

That game was incredible.

I still have the music tracks running through my head to this day.
>>
another day another triggernigger thread
>>
>>3489178
Same here. IMO Chrono Cross was a way better game.
>>
>>3486127
Literally any DQ/FF.
>>
File: the_fuck.png (88KB, 176x176px) Image search: [Google]
the_fuck.png
88KB, 176x176px
>>3486760
>>
>>3487434
> a wise person said any game in the top 5 shouldn't have a good job! game over screen... I agreed.

Then what should a good game have?
>>
>>3489226
This

The whole trilogy is worth playing at least once
You'll be back.
>>
>>3489179
How is it fitting? This response just confirms how much of a contrarian faggot you are.
>>
>>3489307

>Buy the ending cinematic at our online store for only 4.99!
>>
>>3486760
I remember wanting it very badly when it first came out but nobody would buy it for me and I didn't get any kind of allowance or anything.

I wanted Earthbound too, but never got that either.

By the time I had money of my own I'd just forgotten about those games since I'd never played them.
>>
>>3486760
Chrono Trigger wasn't released in Europe.
>>
>>3489427
Until the DS port anyway
>>
>>3486760
>CT isn't just an entry level JRPG

No, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is an entry level JRPG. Chrono Trigger is a good deal above that; and games only became more complex since then in the graphics.
>>
>>3486760
I'll never understand threads like these. Goldeneye isn't just an entry level FPS, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play Goldeneye? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. Streets of Rage 2 isn't just an entry level beat-em-up, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play Streets of Rage 2? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. Ikaruga isn't just an entry level shmup, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play Ikaruga? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. Super Mario 64 isn't just an entry level platformer, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play SM64? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. Street Fighter 2/3/4 isn't just an entry level fighting game, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play Street Fighter? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. Final Fantasy isn't just an entry level RPG, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play Final Fantasy? Why do you want to play it now?

I'll never understand threads like these. GTA isn't just an entry level open-world game, it's fucking entry level gaming. What were you doing with your childhood in which you didn't play GTA? Why do you want to play it now?
>>
>>3489464
Shin Megami Tensei is on the phone
>>
>>3489470
I have a similar copypasta for when people say the classes in D&D4e are "all the same"
>>
>>3489498
...What?
>>
File: 1422880494051.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1422880494051.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
>>3489464
>and games only became more complex since then in the graphics.
>Game with not even simple weapon type damage muliplier
>Standard EXP system
>Fixed party members
>Linear as fuck
>Complex

Truly, triggerniggers are the new Earthbound fanbase.
>>
Which time period should I face lavos? I went through Black Omen at A.D. 1000 and I can either face him there or A.D. 1999.
>>
>>3489905
You only face Lavos in via the bucket or traveling directly to AD1999. What's important is when in the story you face him. Different sections of the story grant different endings
>>
>>3489919
So when I beat Black Omen in 1000 it sends me to 1999?
>>
>>3489464
>games only became more complex since then in the graphics
Chrono Trigger is in my top 5 favorite games, and you're wrong if you think this. You need to play way more JRPGs if you think Chrono Trigger's mechanics are complex.

Also, the depth of JRPG mechanics have increased as hardware limitations have decreased with each newer generation.

Chrono Trigger is a great game, but certainly not for those reasons.
>>
>>3489926
Nope, you are never sent to 1999 by anything but your own volition. Be it the Epoch or the bucket.

In fact, you can clear Black Omen multiple times if you want. I don't know if you have to do it in the future and work your way back or if it stays in each timezone regardless of order, not played it in years.
>>
>>3489464
Are you fucking retarded? Yes, I understand the meme that Mystic Quest was made by Americans because JRPGs at the time were too 'hardcore' for the USA. Fun fact: CT is literally easier than MQ.

Like seriously, line up the numbers and variables. CT is actually difficult to be bad at.
>>
>>3490035
You have to do it in reverse order. If you beat it in the past, it won't exist in the future, and all that.

t. fag who knows entirely too much about CT, but still recognizes it as baby tier
>>
What is the best version of CT? I only played the SNES one.
>>
>>3490167
DS has a better translation and a couple of shitty extra dungeons. I like Woolsey, so SNES is my shit.
>>
File: ct17.png (386KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ct17.png
386KB, 2560x1440px
Geez, is there a JRPG that isn't an anime in disguise?
>>
>>3490425
It's still a great and memorable game though.
>>
>>3490425
No? What exactly are you expecting from the genre? That's like asking if there's any good Western RPGs that aren't AD&D in disguise.
>>
>>3490425
Yes, but you wouldn't like them, and most of the good ones are JP only anyway.

>Complaining that a game for japanese children with motherfucking Toriyama as character designer is lighthearted and colourfulu

What are you even doing with your life?
>>
>>3491439
>Yes, but you wouldn't like them
Can we stop with this meme?

Just post the games you're referring to and let us see for ourselves. For fuck's sake.
>>
>>3491824
>Can we stop with this meme?
Only when people stop with this anime game meme.
>>
>>3486760
I mean, as a fellow oldfag I hear what you're saying, but how would a young person get exposure to it unless they were specifically looking up old RPGs, accidentally played the DS game, or saw it on YouTube?
>>
>>3491942
>how would an underage learn about old games without spending all their time watching LP. They wouldn't. The invasion of underage is proof this is a no issue here.
>>
>>3490062
>Fun fact: CT is literally easier than MQ.Like seriously, line up the numbers and variables. CT is actually difficult to be bad at.

So it's like... you can play it and enjoy it for the story and the setting and the detailed world, and never need to grind for hours so you can beat dungeon #297 to progress the story? Because CT is one of the only two RPGs I played that could be played like that (the other being Panzer Dragoon Saga).
>>
>>3492557

You are now aware that some people hate CT precisely because there is no grinding.
>>
>>3492860
Well technically you can still grind if you want to learn all magic attacks (the conveyer belt in... Geno Dome, I think, is the best place for farming, since chrono and magus can 1 shot nearly everything with lightning 2).

Plus you have extra endings.

But the thing is... the difficulty curve is set up in a way, so you never NEED to do that.
>>
>>3488790
>a spinoff that vaguely references CT
>every major bad guy is from CT
>every single event in the game happens because of CT
>the entire setting only makes sense if you're familiar with CT
>the entire point of the game is to prevent CT from not happening
>"vaguely references CT"
what
>>
File: Christian_Board.jpg (151KB, 1024x533px) Image search: [Google]
Christian_Board.jpg
151KB, 1024x533px
I need a new Google+ profile pic of Crono. I love the designs, but I dislike Toriyama Akira's artstyle.
>>
>>3489226
That's among SNES best games. It's weird how it's rarely mentioned in /vr/.
>>
>>3490992
>Western RPGs that aren't AD&D in disguise
Like Wasteland and Buck Rogers: CtD?
>>
>>3494146
Sauce?
>>
File: cropped_with_sauce.jpg (163KB, 1024x531px) Image search: [Google]
cropped_with_sauce.jpg
163KB, 1024x531px
>>3494357
obviously cropped, but the added sauce is ... um, toothpaste ... Quadrastate
>>
>>3488879
Crimson Echos is good as fuck.
>>
>>3494354
Buck Rogers CtD is LITERALLY AD&D. It isn't even in disguise.
>>
>>3486535
Chrono Cross is not bad. It just gets a lot of hate because it's a 8/10 game where Chrono Trigger is 10/10. Taken on it's own, it's a really good JRPG.
>>
>>3494093
the fact remains that CC and CT are thematically very different. you could easily sever the connections and make CC its own game in its own universe, and it would've been a better game had they done so.
>>
Personally found Radiant Historia to be better time travel story with superior characters, better art, superior music and arguably better combat system the fact that CT has best ATB doesn't change that is one of the worst combat systems in JRPG.

On snes:
there is always Tactics Ogre for when you need to have your dose of good storytelling with actually interesting fights.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.