[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate on Rayman Revolution so much even though it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: rayman_revolution.jpg (83KB, 640x904px) Image search: [Google]
rayman_revolution.jpg
83KB, 640x904px
Why do people hate on Rayman Revolution so much even though it is the best version of Rayman 2?

It has quite a lot of extra content (such as a hub world and a remixed progression system), much higher polygonal levels, sophisticated lighting and shadow upgrades and even the option to choose between voiced dialogue or Rayman gibberish.

I know it runs at 30 FPS while the Dreamcast version runs at 60 FPS, but it also looks a lot better to make up for it. Plus, platforms aren't fighting games, they don't have to be 60 FPS.

Is this just another example of people overpraising the Dreamcast (and under-praising the PS2) purely out of sympathy for the console's death?
>>
>>3485339
Ports of retro games are permitted for discussion.
>>
File: CoGjiw.jpg (789KB, 1921x2025px) Image search: [Google]
CoGjiw.jpg
789KB, 1921x2025px
>>3485339
>>
PC is the best.
>>
>>3485339
SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
File: 1473127320231.png (49KB, 640x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473127320231.png
49KB, 640x1200px
>>3485515
>>
>>3485514
PC version is literally high-res N64 version.
>>
It's okay, it's more that nothing it changes really adds anything meaningful to the Rayman 2 experience. It's all filler, the hub world especially is just wandering around for the sake of extending the game's length. It's totally fine if you just want to play Rayman 2, but some would just rather just play it stage to stage in a more traditional fashion, such as the Island of Doors map on the DC version.

Also, while there were some improved textures in the PS2 version, the framerate is a little too hard to ignore at points - it can barely even sustain 30 some of the time. DC also has native widescreen support, which is always a plus.
>>
>>3485552

It a high-res DC version bro, N64 has midi music and DC/PC/PS1 have redbook.
>>
>>3485565

Scratch that, just remembered the DC version had some minigames that weren't carried over to the PC. So I guess it's somewhere between the N64 and DC versions.
>>
For what it's worth Michael Ancel himself considers the Dreamcast version the best and the most in-tune with his 'vision' of the game. Gotta keep in mind that Rayman 2's a very artsy game that, once you start making compromises on, loses a lot of the vibe they worked so hard to build. Adding English voice acting for instance just doesn't fit and takes away a lot of otherworldly charm.
>>
>>3485561
>the framerate is a little too hard to ignore at points - it can barely even sustain 30 some of the time

The thing is that the PS2 version's framerate is only poor (below 30) in the levels exclusive to that version, so it can't be directly compared to the Dreamcast in that department.
>>
>playing the dreamcast version with a vga box
Holy fucking shit my dick was not prepared
>>
>>3485652

Well, it's not like there's a "Dreamcast mode" for you to tick in options or anything, if you're playing the PS2 version you're stuck with its 'features' for better or worse. It dips for me in the hub world too, making it pretty hard to ignore.
>>
What's the best version of this to play if original hardware isn't an option? Does the PC version work on modern versions of Windows?
>>
>>3485782
>Does the PC version work on modern versions of Windows?
The GOG one should just werk, I think.
Otherwise there's nGlide for physical copies.
>>
>>3485495
No they aren't fuck off.
>>
File: 1413721195268.jpg (89KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1413721195268.jpg
89KB, 1440x1080px
>>3485213
>even though it is the best version of Rayman 2
Said no one ever.
>pointless hubworld
>shitty framerate
>480i
It's shit.

Also you made this thread before, troll.
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/2763031
>>
File: smug24.jpg (23KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
smug24.jpg
23KB, 490x480px
>>3486319

>he plays PS2 games at 480i
>>
File: 1473285826816.jpg (154KB, 540x936px) Image search: [Google]
1473285826816.jpg
154KB, 540x936px
>>3486324
>he plays PS2 games
>>
>>3485587
The PS1 version was a mistake. The game wasn't even complete and lacked a whole range of levels. The Grolgroth dogfight was replaced with a rail shooter, even.
>800 lums
>>
>>3485782
PC version is dope, but if you play it with an Xbox 360 controller, it maps the buttons weird by default. B is jump and A is shoot, among other things.

GOG version (what I played) works great on modern Windows and scales to 1080p but with 4:3 aspect ratio (so 1440x1080 I think?)
>>
Which version of Rayman 2 did Michel Ancel work directly on first?
>>
File: 1472114853724.png (181KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
1472114853724.png
181KB, 425x340px
>>3486324
>>3486334
>he plays
>>
>>3486473
>GOG version (what I played) works great on modern Windows and scales to 1080p but with 4:3 aspect ratio (so 1440x1080 I think?)
Yeah, that's right. IIRC, it's using nglide or whatever that 3dfx wrapper is to make running it at higher res easier on newer systems. They do that with a few other games, too.
>>
>>3485495
So why we can't talk Game Cube Animal Crossing? Animal Crossing is an enhanced port of N64 Doubutsu no Mori.
>>
>>3486530
Because that other anon was lying to you. Ports of retro games on non-retro systems were not, are not, and never will be considered retro.
>>
>>3486291
Yes, you're allowed to talk about a port of a retro game to a non retro console and remakes of retro games.

>>3486530
My guess it's because it was never released outside of japan and most people outside of japan never heard of it.
>>
>>3486539
Yes, they're allowed. Full threads of remakes and ports to non retro consoles have been allowed plenty of times before. The janitor sometimes forgets this is allowed or doesn't know it was a remake/port and deletes it anyways.
>>
>>3485213
No game will ever blow my mind again like rayman 2 did as a kid.
If Mario invented 3d plataformers rayman set the rules and the standard for them
>>
>>3485339
AUTISM
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>3486356
Still a decent port though, and it's nice they included the original prototype 2D build of the game as a bonus.
>>
>>3486319

It's good to know there isn't actually somebody out there that thinks Rayman Revolution is the best version, at least he's an anti-SEGA troll and not completely retarded I guess.
>>
>>3486560
What are some standards that rayman set that were later adopted by other platformers?
Real question. I've just never really got around to playing rayman games.
>>
>>3485514
It has N64 assets, though. Watch videos of it compared to the DC version. There's a distinct scene in the first stage where it's missing a lot of foliage and butterflies.
>>
>>3486530
It's not a fucking port, though. It adds so many mechanics, along with items/assets, that it certainly qualifies as a sequel. Especially considering how samey the follow ups are. It's on N64ish in polygon count.
>>
>>3485213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etH2Py4xsQw

>The goy thought the PS2 version was on par with the DC version...
>30fps, but you got that out of the way
>less detailed textures
>less geometry and particles

All on clear display in the video. Can we let the "it's da same guise" meme end?
>>
>>3487653
>less detailed geometry
>PS2

you're blind right?
>>
>>3487710

You can't really see it from the small squares in the video but the poly count is definitely decreased in places, everything looks really smooth in the DC version even on a modern TV. PS2 adds some more effects to try and distract you but the change is there. It's not something to hold against the PS2 though, the console wasn't even a year old yet and the developers probably didn't know how to fully utilize it.
>>
PC is the best version
>No extra shit
>Hall of doors
>Rock solid framerate
>>
>>3487948
>but the poly count is definitely decreased in places

But that's totally bullshit. Almost every single place in the PS2 version has been overhauled with shitloads more geometry.

Just compare the room where Ly is imprisoned near the beginning of the game. On Dreamcast it's a very basic forest clearing while on PS2 it's mechanized prison integrated into said forest clearing.

Dreamcast has an occasional better texture, which gives it a superficial appearance of more geometrical detail, but that's all it is: superficial.
>>
>>3486479
PC was the original version, but some time during development Ubisoft bigwigs came in and forced him to put it on the N64 and make that the flagship version of the game. Nowadays he says the Dreamcast version is the best.

My source for this is here, been a while since I watched this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6AgSHT8Ve0
>>
Im going to go on a limb and say that the three best versions of this game are PC, N64 and Dreamcast. All of them are equal in that they all play almost identical and dont fuck with anything.

So, the GoG version of Rayman 2 is totally fine (the same cannot be said about their version of Rayman 1). Or if you want to go out of your way to buy/pirate the dreamcast version for that different level layout/minigames, go ahead.

With all that being said, I would stay far away from any other port of Rayman 2. Only stick with these three. Im all for republishing good games so they can reach broader audiences, but man, Ubisoft does not have any limits when it comes to exploiting Rayman 2.
>>
>>3488082
Who cares what he says? He said French are more original than other country devs and proceeds to make NOT PLOK which came 2 years earlier.
>>
File: 1468515220283.png (520KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
1468515220283.png
520KB, 500x558px
>>3488154

Not really feeling your 'fellate Plok in every thread" gimmick, anon. Maybe try another.

>>3488151

>Pirate the Dreamcast version
>Sacrifice all the stereo sound/music to fit it on a CD-R

It's so tempting but I can't do that, not to this game.
>>
>>3488185
virtual clone drive + dreamcast emulator
>>
>>3487972

You're right, looking at more footage it's definitely a texture thing, it makes a surprising amount of difference. It does beg the question why they didn't carry over the improved textures to the PS2 though, not sure if they changed them once again or if they went back to the PC/N64 originals, but they're definitely lacking.
>>
>>3488203
>why they didn't carry over the improved textures to the PS2 though, not sure if they changed them once again or if they went back to the PC/N64 originals

A lot of textures were actually changed for the PS2 versions.

But if it's just a lower resolution version of what the Dreamcast had, then that would be down to the PS2 having less VRAM, no out of the box VQ texture compression, and coupled with the fact that Rayman Revolution was a very early PS2 game before those issues were addressed by developers.

PS2 will flat out kill Dreamcast when it comes to polygon rates though, which is reflected in the extra geometrical detail.
>>
>>3488219

Ancel mentioned in the video linked on >>3488082
that the textures in the PC version were huge for their time, with only the Dreamcast initially being able to handle them. The Dreamcast tech was probably understood a lot more than the PS2's at the time, resulting in better use of its hardware. You can look at a lot of PS2 games from 1999/2000 and see horrendous textures though, I figure it's a side effect of Sony wanting PS1 developers to feel like they could seamlessly move across platforms - for instance the PS2 can still use TIM (PS1) format textures, even though there's very few cases where it's worth using over the much higher resolution TIM2 format. If Rayman had been ported in 2009 it'd be a much more polished game, I'm sure.
>>
what do you guys think of the ds and 3ds ports?
>>
>>3485495
>>3486539
Except they are. We have threads on shit like Twin Snakes, REmake and arcade collections for the PS2 for example, all the time. Right now there's a thread about shmups with the GC version of Ikaruga as the OP >>3478394.

Stop being retarded.
>>
>>3488481
DC/PC > PS2 > N64 > 3DS > PS1 > DS
>>
>>3485568
>that weren't carried over to the PC
That's because there was nothing to carry over. the PC version was made before the DC version. It was created as a high-res version of the N64 game, like >>3485552 said. They're literally the same game, while the DC version was rebuilt specifically for the DC.
>>
>>3488539
Why N64 over 3DS? 3DS has Dreamcast music/graphics plus 3D.
>>
>>3488589
Cuz portables are gross.
>>
>>3488481
DS is the worst port, silky smooth 10fps with d-pad controls that are somehow worse than ps1 version.

3ds is alright, but it can barely run 60fps, even when running it at n3ds speed(oc). Also sound issues(by default its too loud, and sound effects cuts-off all the time).
>>
>>3488626
I actually have the 3DS version and I know it's a shitty port. The graphics and music are good, I don't have sound cutout but it's definitely not optimised for stereo, at max volume you can hear static, same for Origins (whoever did sound when porting fucked up hard) but it's decent if good with headphones. The 3D is nice but again not optimised, if you get too close to certain objects the vanishing point overlaps and you need to cross you eyes to make it max again - on the upside it creates some brainfucking geometries if you're into it.

But probably the worst part (aside from the lack of mini games) is they fucked up the 1000th lum area. You don't bounce off the spderwebs, meaning you have to take damage from the small spiders that appear just to get knockbacked into the skull. Then the slope that leads to the next area isn't steep enough to slide down. Doesn't sound like a huge issue, except the game will go into cutscenes mode and Rayman will just stand there until you hard reset.

Also the trap hole in the Temple of Fire and Stone is bright white, making it even more obvious theres a trap there. Oh yeah and every time you die you get full health so most of the challenge is gone, but both of these are pretty minor issues.
>>
File: 1418703694460.png (250KB, 448x376px) Image search: [Google]
1418703694460.png
250KB, 448x376px
>>3486490
>he
>>
>>3488626
And it uses the top screen despite the bottom screen being better for graphics
>>
Just got Rayman Revolution. As someone who played the N64 as a kid, then emulated it as an teen, then played the 3DS version as an adult, what am I in for? I'm pretty keen to see the new hub worlds and minigames.
>>
>>3491459
Bump?
>>
>>3493482
Well everything is different. Rayman and Globox has off-putting English voices, Rayman had some weird melee attack, cages have Tings in them now instead of Lums, the hubs between levels are like levels themselves (I thought they would just be linear areas, like Peach's Castle), the Fairy Glade has pirates everywhere, there's a flower to reach that section you normally have to reach through the Flying Barrel tunnels (so I assume their removed that tiny, inexplicable level join there), and Ly (pronounced Lee not Lie like I always thought) is in an actual prison, not a tiny little field.

This is pretty dope. It's almost like a new game.
>>
>>3495434
You can change the voices in the main menu
>>
>>3485213
Honestly, my only gripes are the slow progression compared to OG Rayman 2 (like with how you buy your punches) and the fact that framedrops are super-frequent. If we get one last end-all port of Rayman 2 that builds off Revolution and runs at 60FPS, I'll be happy.
>>
>>3485565
Nah, it's glaringly similar to the N64 version. The biggest tell is the difference in color tones and the level selection (DC has the Isle of Doors, which is a big world map, while the N64/PC version uses the Hall of Doors)
More evidence of this can be found in how the only two versions of Tonic Trouble are N64 and PC, which was meant to be a sort of benchmark for the Rayman 2 engine. It's likely these two versions spearheaded development, and every other version of the game was a port or remake, like with how the PS1 port was by a different Ubisoft branch
>>
>>3495434
>>3493482
>>3485587
You can select the original "Raymanian" voices in the options. Hell, you could even select French if you were so inclined
>>
>>3496808
French is a pretty cool language...
>>
I always wondered if the Cave of Bad Dreams was real or just in Rayman's head. The entry/exit cutscene would imply in Rayman's head, but then you could reach it through the Hall of Doors and there were Lums in it... But Rayman Revolution has confirmed to me it is in his head.
>>
What's the best Rayman to start with? The first one?
>>
>>3499937
For context maybe, but be forewarned it can be brutally difficult, and finding all the cages can be a bit challenging, you have to have a keen eye and even be prepared for a few leaps of faith.

The second is a bit easier. My favourite. Very atmospheric.

The third takes the second and makes it a bit more combat oriented. About as challenging. Less atmospheric.

Origins/Legends is a 2D platformer that sort of reinvents the original, infinite lives, the hidden cages are easier to find, and has multiplayer if you have friends.
>>
>>3500205
I personally found Rayman 3 to be very atmospheric. Maybe not as much as Rayman 2, but still very atmospheric. Places like the Swamp world, The land of the Livin' Dead, and the Fairy Council were just straight up beautiful.

But alas, It's not Retro, so I'll shut up now.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.