[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People still pretend to dislike this game you cozy you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>People still pretend to dislike this game

you cozy you lose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQeYDTcSk8
>>
>>3483880
I have literally never once read anything even vaguely negative about that game anywhere on the entire Internet.
>>
Yeah I just don't understand the animosity that Curse gets. It's my favorite. I love the visuals, the humor is top-notch, and voiced acting only served to further enrich the series. I bust this game out every couple years.

"Ohhh, cabana boy..."
>>
>>3483884
Then you haven't been paying attention to /vr/. People here splooge over the first two games, then claim Curse is where the series went to shit. it was actually Escape where that happened.
>>
>>3483885

The music and overall atmosphere on that beach is god tier. You can literally smell the sea and feel the heat. I don't know how they did it.
>>
>>3483891
I thought the typical concensus was that Curse was the last good one. I always loved it.

Shit, I need to play this again before summer is over.
>>
>>3483891

I even have a bit of a soft spot for Escape. It's not outright terrible, even if they made a mistake with the visual style.

It still looks incomparably better than Tales. Whoever was put in charge of visuals there should be shot. I refuse to play that game.
>>
>>3483880
I hate every single adventure game that has stupid obscure solutions to problems.

Monkey Island isn't an exception to that, and it plagues the entire genre.
>>
>>3483901
Escape has its moments.
It starts sucking towards the end, but some parts are still good. The time paradox puzzle is one of my favorite in the series.
>>
>>3483912

I fucking hate it, I was stuck on it for weeks.

Did someone make a mouse mod for it like that guy did for Grim Fandango? They even hired him for the remake so he can carry it over.
>>
>>3483909
Monkey Island is very easy except for the second game.
>>
>>3483909
>I hate every single adventure game

fixed that 4 u XD
>>
>>3483901
Tales is just lazy with its visuals. They'll have maybe 3 or 4 base character models for the NPCs, and each character is just that model with a different beard, costume, skintone, whatever. Really the episodic format was their biggest detriment, because four out of the five episodes follow the "You need 3 of ____ item" structure, and that starts to get old the third time you recognize what you're doing. But even with all its faults, I wouldn't call tales "terrible." They're still fun and the monkey island humor is still there, but I'd recommend waiting for a Steam sale so you can buy them on the cheap.
>>
>>3483891

Curse made a big mistake having him get with Elaine, completely against the original writer's vision. Telltale guys were further cucks by not having them divorce
>>
File: 12123_4a24070124c81[1].jpg (187KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
12123_4a24070124c81[1].jpg
187KB, 600x338px
>>3483924

Dude, what is this color palette? What the fuck is it supposed to be? It looks like someone took a piss on the game. And the modeling and texture work is about on par with Lego Island.

I don't know, I always felt that visuals and overall atmosphere are extremely important for point & click games. At the very least, it shouldn't be offensively bad.

On the other hand, it's definitely not enough though. Whispered World has amazing visuals, but the game is really sort of crap. Maybe something was lost in the translation, but there's nothing endearing, funny or likable about that game.
>>
>>3483931
Honestly, who gives a shit. Any sequel is a treason after MI2's crazy ending.
>>
File: wrong_choice_kaboom.jpg (117KB, 327x579px) Image search: [Google]
wrong_choice_kaboom.jpg
117KB, 327x579px
>>3483909
>stupid obscure solutions
Maybe you're not as smart as you think. Maybe there are a lot of clues that you miss. Maybe you quit too easily and are the type of person that thinks "what's wrong with this game?" instead of "what am I missing?"
>>
>>3483950

I've recently watched gf play through Grim Fandango. In watching her play, I realized just how many clues there are in conversations for almost every "crazy, insane, unsolvable" puzzle that I had so much trouble with as a kid. You just can't get those clues more than once though. You really need to pay attention.
>>
>>3483891
>>3483885
Everything on 4chan is exaggerated. A lot of fans think it's a significant step down from 2, but I doubt many of them think it suuuuuuucks shiiiiiit.

The only thing that grates me about it is Guybrush's redesign. The artwork in the game is all well-done, but they picked such a faggy style for his character.
>>
>>3483940
I couldn't even run Whispered World on my computer above 5 FPS. Other Daedelic games don't even start and I never found a fix so I had to use an old laptop for them. Since that laptop died, no more "German quality" adventure games for me.
>>
>>3483973

That's very strange.

You're not really missing out on anything though. Their puzzles are pretty good, their visual design is top notch, but the atmosphere is kind of just not there because all conversations feel like uncanny valley. Of course, this is due to the fact that they are translated (from German no less, notoriously difficult to translate German humor due to their weird sentence structures), but I kind of think their games are poorly written in German as well. The jokes that do make it through translation are pretty stupid.

I tried Deponia and quickly gave up on it, it just wasn't really fun at all.
>>
>>3483957
>I realized just how many clues there are in conversations for almost every "crazy, insane, unsolvable" puzzle that I had so much trouble with as a kid. You just can't get those clues more than once though. You really need to pay attention.
Reminds me of this video on adventure games puzzle desgins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDt6XXsRXag
>>
>>3483997

Great video. For a moment there, I was afraid he wasn't gonna give a nod to the rubber ducky puzzle.
>>
>>3483997
This is a pretty lame video. 9 minutes for something that can stated in three sentences. 1) clear goals, 2) clues, 3) feedback.

His explanations and examples don't really add anything because these are pretty simple ideas to begin with.

It's also really lame when people spoil puzzles as a way of "getting back" at a puzzle they think is bad.
>>
>>3483891

I don't think Escape was where the series went to "shit". Especially considering it's the last game in the series so Monkey Island has 3 good games and 1 bad (and one bad telltale game if you will) hardly making the series any kind of shit.

Speaking of Escape.. The jokes, puzzles, and dialog still feel like Monkey island. The music isn't half bad. It just has some awful puzzles thrown into the mix and some shit graphics and controls.
>>
File: talesofmonkeyisland4_3a.jpg (168KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
talesofmonkeyisland4_3a.jpg
168KB, 1024x576px
>>3483924
Episode 1 and 2 of the Tales game are awful and aren't even really needed from a story standpoint. Making the player re-do the fucking jungle puzzle was such fucking bullshit. Episode 3 is borderline filler but is where the story actually picks up. Episodes 4 and 5 are worthwhile for hardcore fans but I wouldn't ever recommend this game to another human being. It's pretty worthless and the graphics aged poorly the second it stepped out of the door.
>>
>>3483997
He just seems to be whining about adventure games being too hard for his baby-like brain.

He kept using Grim Fandango as an example of bad game design. He literally criticized Day of the Tentance for having puzzles that require real-world knowlege.
>>
>>3484116
Grim Fandango has some terrible puzzles. Rest of the game is pretty damn good.
>>
>>3484096
And they ended with a sequel teaser of the voodoo lady actually being evil. You think they'll follow through on that?
>>
>>3483979
I played the first deponia. The humor relied completely on slapstick and "hurr durr Rufus is dumb and arrogant."
>>
>>3483979
>>3484208
I find the story/humor in Deponia a little wearying (every joke and conversation goes on too long), but I liked the games more once I started playing with German VA and subtitles. The English VA is just too dorky.
>>
They pretend to dislike it, or that its a bad game?

I dont like it, but i dont like any games of the genre. Id say it is a good game though.
>>
Monkey Island 3 is a fucking strong entry, considering the ending 2 gave them to work with they pulled out a great game. I'd like 4 a lot better if it had decent controls, even then it's still mostly enjoyable. I wanted to like Tales but I couldn't get through the first episode, didn't help I was playing the choppy Wii version either. Might try it again someday.
>>
>>3483931
The original writer's vision was shit and ignoring it was for the best.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.