[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's an old pre-'90s game that you assumed was simplistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun (J).png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun (J).png
2KB, 256x240px
What's an old pre-'90s game that you assumed was simplistic and didn't age well, but turned out way more fun than you expected?

For me, it's picrelated. Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun, turned into Renegade in US. It's kinda short but so damn fun.
>>
This was the game I bought with my NES when I was a kid because I confused it with RCR
>>
>>3478712
Same series (Nekketsu), same creators.

How did you do in the game? At first it seems really clunky, but once you get the hang of jump kicking, throwing and beating the opponents on the ground, it becomes much more smooth to control.
>>
>>3478707
What, no one? That's sad.

Another game that really caught me off-guard was Gradius. Expected it to be as basic as possible, but it's pretty deep when you learn to play it.
>>
It got 2 sequels for the home market, if you're interested. Just stay the fuck away from Renegade 3.
>>
File: mule_colony.gif (4KB, 306x218px) Image search: [Google]
mule_colony.gif
4KB, 306x218px
M.U.L.E. is significantly more fun than I thought it would be. Still been meaning to play it with three other actual humans.
>>
>>3479663
Thanks, I've played most Nekketsu games after this one. Samurai one really caught me for some reason. Gotta love Japan-themed games.

Ironically, I'm not that huge of RCR fan. The later upgrades in the game are just broken.
>>
>>3479669
that game is a fucking masterpiece
>>
>>3479669
Played it once with my parents on an NES emulator, can confirm it is awesome. I've heard the original Atari 8 bit version is better though.
>>
I never got hold of those games (Renegade/Kunio-kun) until the day I realized it were easier to play putting the joystick in my lap and hitting the attack buttons with the other fingers instead my thumb, games are pretty good
>>
>>3478715
I beat it like the second day and stopped playing
>>
Bump?
>>
>>3478707
I'm a lot more surprised when a post-80s game turns out to be fun.
>>
>>3478707
It's when Kunio turned chibi that the franchise really takes off. 'Murricans can only settle for River City Ransom, however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_WmeMmRgpc
>>
>>3484186
I miss that reckless vibe of the first game though. Throwing people from the train platform, beating them on the floor. You know, Final Fight or RCR didn't have that. Also, I like that you can't jump, other games allow for too much jump kick abuse.
>>
File: CH8VXJlUwAAwg1s.jpg orig.jpg (134KB, 787x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CH8VXJlUwAAwg1s.jpg orig.jpg
134KB, 787x1024px
>>3478712
Nintendo Power covered both in an issue, but never bothered to make the connection between them clear.

>>3478715
>Same series (Nekketsu), same creators.
Sort of, but not quite. Nekktsu Kouha Kunio-kun was directed by Yoshihisa Kishimoto (who went on to do the Double Dragon trilogy on the arcade, pictured here in cosplay as Kunio), while Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari was directed by Hiroyuki Sekimoto and Mitsuhiro Yoshida.

Sekimoto and Yoshida directed most of the Downtown Nekketsu games, including Koushinkyoku (the 4-player track 'n field one), Jidaigeki (the one with Samurai Kunio), Baseball and the SFC sequel to Dodge Ball. Most of the later Kunio games on the Famicom were done by another team though.

>>3484252
There's Kunio-tachi no Banka, which is the only true sequel to the original Nekketsu Kouha in the sense that Kishimoto directed it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.