[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We can all agree it's a perfect game, but what gave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: LTTP.jpg (184KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LTTP.jpg
184KB, 1920x1080px
We can all agree it's a perfect game, but what gave it such a retro feel?
>>
Being on SNES?
>>
Your nostalgia?
>>
>>3478062
The only way it has a "retro feel" is if you didn't play it when it came out. If your only other experience prior was nes or master system games it felt like the future, not the past.

Also, I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's pretty damn good.
>>
>>3478062
>what gave it such a retro feel?
The fact that it was made for a platform launched in 1999 or earlier.
>>
We can all agree it has a retro feel, but what makes it such a perfect game?
>>
>>3478062
I would argue that anything newer than NES / Master System aren't really that retro
SNES / Genesis are totally playable by normies / little kids / youngfags
>>
>>3478795
No, literally everyone in the thread has called you underage for thinking it has a "retro feel". Fuck off, child.
>>
>>3478062
"Now that the dust has settled." "What gave LttP such a retro feel" ALL THE CANCEROUS MAY MAYS ARE COMING BACK.
>>
>>3478062

>retro feel

what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>3478851
It means he played it for the first time yesterday and noticed it plays like any other game released in 1993
>>
>>3478916
Except he didn't. This "what gave ____ game a retro feel?" was a plague of meme threads that were all over /vr/ many months ago. And the fact that nobody else in this thread fails to remember that is proof that it's mostly newfags here.
>>
>>3478062
Better question: what makes the gameplay timeless? I'd vote for the responsive controls and quick animations; without either, it'd be a slog getting even to the mid-game boss.
>>
>>3478958
How do you know he didn't play it for the first time yesterday? Cite some reeeeeal solid sources or fuck off.
>>
>>3479187
I gladly would cite some sources if there was a 4chan archive that lasted more than 2 months before dying.
>>
>>3478795
We can all agree it has a retro game, but what makes it such a perfect feel?
>>
>>3478062
you know the first 8 times it wasn't funny but his time I laughed

good on you for sticking to it
>>
>>3479213
Here you go http://archived.moe/

Idk how that's going to prove he didn't play it for the first ime yesterday
>>
>>3479306
"Error!
Sorry, this board does not have search enabled. "

Thanks for the worthless link.
>>
>>3479308
http://google.com

There, try that. The burden of proof is on you
>>
>>3479314
Nah man, >>3479251 has my back. He remembers this too. It's not my fault you're a newfag.
>>
>>3478062
>We can all agree it's a perfect game
No we can't. LTTP is very flawed. Pure example of critical acclaim from marketing. You Zelda babbies will call any Zelda masterpiece, when none of them even were very good to begin with.
>>
>>3479527
>flawed.

What is flawed about it?
>>
File: retro feel.jpg (145KB, 552x1161px) Image search: [Google]
retro feel.jpg
145KB, 552x1161px
>>3479314
>>
>>3478851
>what the fuck does that even mean?

A game that reminds you of when your where 10 and didn't have a shitty life and responsibilities
>>
>>3479551
Such shitposting is b&worthy.
>>
>>3479551
You're my hero, anon.
>>
>>3478839
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ZELDA AND WHY IS IT LTTP?
>>
>>3479538
Slow, clunky movement and battle system. Pointless combat. Empty overworld. Very basic, bare-bone RPG elements. Towns/citizens with as much personality as those in Pokemon. The gameplay follows a very strict, repetitive formula: go to dungeon X -> find the keys to unlock doors, or items to advance forward -> boss fight -> go to the next dungeon Y. Boss fights for which you mostly have to wait for the boss to open up his weak spot.

Zelda is basically top-down Metroid. Some things it does better, some things worse. I like it for its dungeons, their labyrinth/puzzle sense. But just as Metroid, the combat in it is complete shit, and aside from puzzle/labyrinth solving, it's boring as fuck really.

That's why my favorite Zelda game is II. Call me contrarian, but it had much more interesting fighting, and felt more like an RPG. In any case, I prefer Crystalis over any 2D Zelda.
>>
>>3479551
>dem serifs
>>
>>3479610
But Zelda was never meant to be a "proper" RPG.
>>
>>3479551
Congratulations, you backed our argument up with proof. Now do it in the first post and you could avoid a lot of shitposting and trolling. I hope you learned something today, kid.
>>
>>3479952
I'm not him I just know how to use the archive. I've been here since the beginning (of /vr/ and of this thread >>3478065) but I didn't remember this particular pasta.
>>
>>3479610
You're a contrarian.
>>
File: 1415322264497.jpg (7KB, 255x220px) Image search: [Google]
1415322264497.jpg
7KB, 255x220px
>>3479610
>complains about "repetitive" gameplay and "shit" combat
>yet likes JRPGs of all fucking things
>>
File: sword_in_the_stone_still.jpg (243KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
sword_in_the_stone_still.jpg
243KB, 1296x730px
>>3479950
But Zelda TRIES to be like an RPG. There's a huge overworld there, many NPCs to talk to, many land objects to visit… But most of them are just so boring, flat and are basically there for decoration. There isn't even any leveling to fill that empty space. Would you play, say, Diablo without experience?

>>3479972
People in US have always been claiming that Zelda games are masterpieces. The games certainly are not bad, but they don't deserve a quarter of the praise they get. From the series' lore, which is essentially Sword in the Stone with quirky bland characters, to anything aside from dungeons, it's just average. Very very average. The series' ongoing fame exists mostly only in US. The rest of the world, including Japan, doesn't care nearly as much about Zelda.

>>3479991
Are you retarded? Where did I say I like JRPGs? I hate all of them, I'd much rather pick any Western RPG any day, or hack'n'slash like Diablo.
>>
Zelda is a fucking meme game for neckbeards.

If you see one praise like "oh one of THE GREATS", it's a freaking neckbeard so their opinion is worthless

hey, at least these zelda games have a use
>>
>>3480063
>meme game

Entire post invalidated.
>>
>>3480067
Stop sucking my fucking dick you fat virgin who doesnt shave
>>
>>3480069
Learn to contribute and maybe your posts will be regarded in the future. Until then, crawl back into your mother's shithole.
>>
>>3480063
I'm just curious which games are among THE GREATS in your book then.
>>
>>3480101
>>3480105

There they are, the neckbeards have come out of the woodwork.

Your game is shit and you should stop having gay taste.
>>
>>3479551
Then why haven't you thought of an answer yet?

Checkmate.
>>
>>3480114
Answer the question please. Just list your top 3 games or so.
>>
>>3480060
>There isn't even any leveling to fill that empty space.
What need is there for one when item and health upgrades along with the whole equipment system (which can go hand in hand with the former) exist?
>>
>>3480137

I could but I won't, my mission was to inform you bitches that it's time to stop liking gay shit like Zelda, which make you look ridiculous, and GET SOME FUCKING TASTE

I'm DONE
>>
>>3480152
Well then how can we possibly know what good games we should play instead if you won't tell us what they are?

Me thinks you'd rather just shitpost instead of putting yourself in a position of defending what's your own taste of games which are almost certainly crap.
>>
>>3480140
I'm saying that Zelda's attempts at being an action RPG weren't fruitful.

I like Super Metroid more than LTTP for 2 big reasons: 1) the whole game is one big interconnected "dungeon", there's no useless overworld; 2) combat and movement is much more intuitive than in Zelda.

If Zelda was anything like it, it'd be twice as fun to play for me. But no: Link moves with the speed of a cow, can only attack in 4 directions and the combat is uncomfortable and clunky as fuck; there's a lot of dull, bland dialogue, completely needless citizens no one remembers, vast empty overworld with nothing but enemies and grass to cut, the screens need time to scroll for some reason, and so on.

Killing enemies in Metroid also was needless. But at least Samus ran really fast, the controls were responsive, and there was almost no dialogue.

Or take Crystalis: much faster running, combat is quick and always gets rewarded. Yep, it's nowhere near Zelda level in dungeon design. But—fighting enemies doesn't feel like a chore in it.
>>
>>3480192
Not the guy you've been arguing with, but Zelda has never been, nor attempted to be, an Action RPG. It falls snugly in the "action adventure" category.
>>
>>3479610
>Slow, clunky movement and battle system
Slow? Compared to what? You can walk in 8 directions, on fixed speed. In what way could it ever be clunky?

>Pointless combat
That's like saying "pointless driving" on a racing game.

>Empty overworld
Lol, no. There are several things to do on your way, items to find, enemies to fight, etc.

>Very basic, bare-bone RPG elements
Oh, really? The RPG elements are basic? I wonder why it isn't even an RPG to start with.

>Towns/citizens with as much personality as those in Pokemon.
Npcs don't usually have any personality in any game. That includes the games you mentioned, Zelda II and Crystalis (which are great games, regardless).

>The gameplay follows a very strict, repetitive formula: go to dungeon X -> find the keys to unlock doors, or items to advance forward -> boss fight -> go to the next dungeon Y.
Nice try. The Legend of Zelda has a very fun gameplay formula, one that has been extremely influential for decades of its success. You however, make it look bad by describing it that way. You can basically do that with any single game. I'll show it for you:

>Mario Bros -> hurr all you do is jump on enemies and get pointless items ->jump on the pole at the end of the level ->repeat

>Sonic The Hedgehog -> it's all only about running and avoiding obstacles durr -> hurr run to the end of the level with the rings ->repeat

>Beat em ups -> hurr you just smash buttons ->fight a boss ->repeat

>Pacman -> hurr you just need to collect dots and that's it

That's how retarded you sound.

>Zelda is basically top-down Metroid.
Who could tell you'd actually say something that makes sense. Zelda is basically a top-down Metroid. Two great adventure series that are critically acclaimed and a market success for a reason. It makes perfect sense for you to expect people to call you a "contrarian". You might as well say "call me retarded" or even "tell me I have a horrible taste", because even you are aware that you're stupid.
>>
>>3480060

>But Zelda TRIES to be like an RPG
no it doesnt. Accpet different shades of genres, but it really doesnt. It just shows that a huge map, places to explore, a magic meter and a buy system also works in non-rpgs.

Next thing you will tell Metroid tries to be a RPG.

>People in US have always been claiming that Zelda games are masterpieces.

Its the mix and slow but fulfilling progress that just works in this game. The big arsenal of items which changes what you can do in the world and often has important gameplay changes was always a keystone of Zelda. As was clever crafted dungeons. And side quests that make you want to explore the world more.

In that regard you were right about it having something of metroid.

>metroid
>combat is complete shit

ok, dropped.
>>
>>3480063
t. PC neckbeard

And its not like I dont think there are better games on other systems. But the shitting on Zelda is just totally out of proportions. I guess people just get triggered about how overly popular Zelda is, and peopl run around with Triforce-purses, so they have to hate the game.
>>
>>3480209
>Slow? Compared to what?
To every other top-down game in existence. See for example Pocky and Rocky.

Link runs and fights like he's 100 pounds overweight. Moreover: you can't attack in diagonals. Sure, this wouldn't be so bad, if only he didn't move so clumsily, and there was no need to shoot arrows, use items like grappling hook, etc.

> That's like saying "pointless driving" on a racing game.
Not that isn't. In racing games, the whole point is driving. If you drive well, you will win in the game. And the engine is not clunky too (unless you're playing some really, REALLY shitty racing game).

In Zelda and Metroid though, the combat is pointless, but for different reasons. In both games, you barely get anything from it: a little health, ammo, and, in Zelda, some rupees. But where in Metroid you have lethargic amoebas who can't even attack properly, in Zelda you have enemies who block most attacks and can often fuck you up.

Moreover, aiming in Metroid is a lot like in Contra, and everything feels way more intuitive and responsive. In Zelda, you can slash with your sword really fast, but it matters shit because of pushback/enemy invincibility. Moreover, the sword is so fucking short and hits only in 4 directions. Add to this that you can't dash or do anything really to quickly evade enemy attacks; and maybe you'll get why I think the combat in Zelda is atrocious.
>>
File: 1472159230879.png (444KB, 504x740px) Image search: [Google]
1472159230879.png
444KB, 504x740px
>>3480209
>>3480284
> The Legend of Zelda has a very fun gameplay formula, one that has been extremely influential for decades of its success.
> Two great adventure series that are critically acclaimed and a market success for a reason. It makes perfect sense for you to expect people to call you a "contrarian". You might as well say "call me retarded" or even "tell me I have a horrible taste"
Stopped reading here. "Great", "extremely influential", "acclaimed for a reason" is hiding behind others' authority, without saying much on the point.

What do you want me to do? Accept others' authority over my own memories about the actual substance of the game? So, if Time Magazine said Minecraft is one of the best games ever, and it's played by millions of people, and successful as fuck—this must mean that I'm wrong for not liking it, that I'm a contrarian, right?

Legend of Zelda has always had Nintendo marketing behind it in America. This easily explains its popularity in the region. If we were talking about, say, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, you'd have some point: the game didn't sell as well as other PS games, and its eventual iconic status was the result of praise from critics and gamers, not the result of an effective PR campaign/millions of units sold.

But with Zelda, it has always had the Nintendo hype machine behind it. You think "more popular" equals "better"? Then I have a question for you: what the fck are you doing on /vr/? Oh yeah, I forgot: shilling your overhyped game from the '90s.
>>
File: 25.png (1MB, 648x605px) Image search: [Google]
25.png
1MB, 648x605px
>>3480304
>fck
>>
nothing with a combat system that clunky could be called perfect

not to mention every cutscene after you rescue a princess
>>
>>3480284
>Add to this that you can't dash or do anything really to quickly evade enemy attacks
>Moreover, the sword is so fucking short and hits only in 4 directions.

>>3479610
>I prefer Crystalis over any 2D Zelda.
>2D Zelda
Something honestly tells me now that you've started your Zelda career on the 3D ones and experienced some heavy baby duck syndrome when playing the 2D ones.
>>
>>3481289
Not really. Being a poorfag, I only got to play Zelda when I got emulators. LTTP was one of the first games I've ever downloaded. I was still surprised how slow the movement was in it.

I admit I do like N64 Zelda combat much, much more. This is the thing the games got much better; maybe it was not completely perfect, but still very good while staying more or less close to the roots.

But even then, I beat Minish Cap. The quick roll ability was really useful. Link's movement was much less clunky, screen scrolling was smoother… Virtually everything felt more responsive to me.

And LTTP is just completely the opposite. Say, you have the boots. Without them, running is really slow. But with them, you have a startup animation every time you try to run; then, you ram forward with much less control, and so fast you barely even see where you're going. If you ram into the wall, you stop. Could this have been made any less convenient?

So in the end, I feel LTTP is a great puzzle/exploration game. Heck, it's amazing in this regard, I admit. But its action parts are, well, not my cup of tea. A tea of a very questionable, surprisingly low quality.
>>
File: mgs2.png (75KB, 500x551px) Image search: [Google]
mgs2.png
75KB, 500x551px
Link To The Past, more like GAY TO THE MAX! hehehehehehheh
>>
What gives this thread such a retro feel?
>>
>>3478062
Retro designers back in it's day had a much better understanding of what made a game retro
>>
>>3484713
>back in it's day
>>
File: Lttp_mastersword_sprite.jpg (36KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
Lttp_mastersword_sprite.jpg
36KB, 256x223px
>>3478062
>>3478112
Yeah exactly. What retro feel? This was state of the art at the time. It was very popular, not a niche game for retro enthusiasts.
It's not perfect. There are some characters you meet in the early game but their characters development reaches its conclusion relatively early on, and I ended up attached to them, but avoiding them because they never had anything new to say and it broke the immersion.
>>
>>3485592
>but their characters development
>>
>>3485595
yeah can't edit so fuck it
>>
File: PXdI8h9TSHY?t=1h20m15s.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
PXdI8h9TSHY?t=1h20m15s.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
What does /vr/ think of the ALttP Randomizer?

Raged hard when I found out the moon pearl was just lying around in the fucking desert for fuckall reasons.
>>
>>3478062

That game was made in a time when games started being deliberate in terms of there controls, physics, responsiveness, hitboxes, game balancing, et cetera. NES era games were mostly slapped together and occasionally hit it out of the park. Perhaps the "retro feel" of it is something so old looking actually being well constructed and lacking in clunkiness.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.