[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why weren't many of the classic SNES RPGs released for UK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg (60KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg
60KB, 640x443px
Why weren't many of the classic SNES RPGs released for UK consoles? Even basic shit like Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG didn't get a release.
>>
UK only releases? I thought european releases had to have 5 different languages for a full on european release.

Was there really such a thing as a UK/France/Italy/Germany only release?
>>
At the time it was difficult to convert games from NTSC to PAL/SECAM, the snes wasn't doing so good in Europe and most games got multiple languages which they just didn't really have space or time for so Europe got shafted.
>>
>>3477757
>UK only releases?
That's the world for a British game. UK, USA and Japan.

>Was there really such a thing as a UK/France/Italy/Germany only release?
A couple. Banana Prince was only released in Germany, Sailor Moon/DBZ only in France and a Time Bokan game only in Italy.
>>
>>3477749
Because nobody gave a shit about Nintendo in Europe because we actually have taste here, unlike you Burgers.
>>
>>3477768
There were some DBZ and SM games released in Spain and maybe Italy too.

>>3477769
Go back to your budget micro computers.
>>
File: neat.gif (682KB, 493x361px) Image search: [Google]
neat.gif
682KB, 493x361px
>>3477769
Wow! An America hating Europoor, truly a unique sight.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 292x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 292x268px
>RP'G's
Be honest, the only reason you play those ridiculous story 'games' is because you don't have the dexterity for a real game.
>>
>>3477782
THIS

We really need a containment general for all these shitty RPG threads on /vr/
>>
>>3477782
>>3477784
>samefagging
>tomokoposting
>I-I didn't want those anyway, m-my A-Amiga games are way better
Like it or not there are a lot of classics you bongs missed out on.
>>
>>3477801
I'm not him, but the guy that posted Tomoko is right. RPG is an autistic genre.
>>
>>3477803
Then go fuck each other you motherfucking bitches, RPG FOREVER
>>
>>3477803
Catalog > right click OP pic > hide.

Problem solved, my man.
>>
>>3477782
>doesnt play all sorts of games
what a bleak existance
>>
>>3477782
+1
>>
>>3477749
Because

1. Nintendo had a retarded policy that treated Europe as a second-rate continent to America and Japan. It's the reason the Genesis was more popular in Europe than the SNES; half the countries didn't have any SNES available in stores.
2. RPG's are for neckbeards.
>>
>>3477837
Sega was always going to be more popular in Europe than Nintendo. Nintendo didn't have the arcade brand recognition or notable titles to be popular in Europe.
>>
>>3477782
>dexterity

You're fucking ancient and closer to death than anyone here, you can't talk about dexterity, aus.
>>
>>3477937
Guy could just be in his 30's though, that's not that old.
>>
>>3477971
30 years old and acting like that?
>>
>>3477782

doesn't tomoko like RPGs?

I don't like that manga, can't stomach the poor drawing skills, but I seem to remember she played text-based games, she plays dating sims for girls, right? What a slut,
>>
>>3477971

He's in his 40s at least, and I'm thinking he's more like 50.

>>3477978
He's autistic (legit autistic, not "4chan autistic")
>>
>>3477983
She's autistic, of course she plays RPGs.
>>
>>3477985
All we have to go on is he worked at an electronics shop in the '90s, you can be a teenager and working at a place like that.
>>
>>3477997

I didn't know that, I go by the fact he just seems like an old man. the way he's angry at the world (he's not just mad at "yanks" I've seen insulting fellow euros too) screams an old man who is very resentful with his wasted youth.
>>
>>3478001
Nah, being a salty cunt is just how British people are.
>>
>>3478004
Bollocks, m8
>>
>>3478004

>>3478004

Being a salty cunt is how British people are but most of us love RPGs, don't believe the hype. The Master System and Mega Drive in particular had several classics and did a lot to get the genre a cult following before it hit the mainstream in '97.
>>
>>3477749
PAL isn't just an English territory. If a game got a PAL release back then it had to get translated into about 500 different languages. This cost too much.
>>
>>3477757
I think terranigma had multiple releases for each language.
>>
>>3478004
If anything we are sour, as salty is an american term.
>>
>>3478626
I'm still mad US never got this.
>>
>>3477775
Wow! An Europe hating Ameripoor, truly a unique sight.
>>
>>3478654
What makes you guys such sour pusses anyway? All the immigrants raping your white women?
>>
>>3481761
Defective britbong genes.
>>
>>3481772
>tfw you will never be a pure German Aryan

Feels bad, man.
>>
In sweden we have a company called bergsala. and bergsala was the first company to import the NES to europe. And they continued to import every itteration of nintendo consoles. here in scandinavia we got our own stamp like uk hade UKV on the cartridges and scandinavia got the SCN mark. so in northern europe nintendo rules the market. (sorry for my spelling. english is my second language)
>>
>>3481814

To be honest I'm from Spain, supposedly Spain is "sega territory", but Nintendo was quite popular too. I'd say it was a very neck to neck race from beginning to end during the 4th gen. I had a MegaDrive but I knew plenty of kids with SNES and I'd go to their place to play, so I've played a lot of classic SNES games, especially multiplayer ones.
I believe the whole "nintendo was never popular in Europe" refers mostly to UK, because I know Nintendo was big in France as well. Went there for vacations a lot of times during the 90s and I saw more Nintendo than Sega overall.
>>
>>3481893
Yeah well, at least we haven't enacted sharia law yet. Bitch faggot.
>>
few things as a 30 yr old from the uk -

rpgs didn't get translated and ported to pal due to a perceived lack of market for them. occasionally games like mana 2 had programming that relied on '60hz tricks'. also ff6 end sequence doesn't work on pal snes due to '60hz'

secondly ;

in the uk Nintendo was huge. bigger than sega, easily. mario was everywhere. we had the Nintendo hotline etc.
>>
>>3481952
>mana 2

What?
>>
>>3482046

Secret of Mana was the 2nd game in the Mana series.
>>
>>3482047
Seiken Densetsu series. Not Mana series. No other game is the (original trilogy) is "of Mana".

Just like the Mother Series. Not the Earthbound series.
>>
>>3482125

I know, but I wanted to explain why the other anon said "mana 2".
>>
>>3482146
When people say Mana 2, they're usually referring to Seiken Densetsu 3, as FFA wasn't ever called Mana.
>>
>>3477782

>mfw I love rpgs
>can still clear arcade games on one credit and beat Dante Must Die Mode/Path of the Master Ninja

what is it like being a dick AND incorrect?
>>
>>3482151

Yeah, makes sense, but since anon was talking about games that only got published in the west, I thought "mana 2" refered to Secret of Mana.
>>
File: vanilluxe-dude.png (27KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
vanilluxe-dude.png
27KB, 500x360px
>>3477782

is this ironic shitposting? You retards aren't actually stupid enough to believe that the only way you can enjoy that genre is if you lack dexterity right?....right?

I knew this board went to shit, but fucking christ i had no idea it was this bad
>>
>>3482161
>>3482176

>not knowing australia-kun
>>
File: lol.gif (264KB, 160x158px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
264KB, 160x158px
>>3481756
>europoor originality
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.