[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just played this today and dear christ... If I didn't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

File: Castlevania_2.png (8KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_2.png
8KB, 320x256px
Just played this today and dear christ...

If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a product of some ironic "let's make a bad European computer conversion" game jam.

>dat sparkly Eurotrash demoscene looking UI
>ratio and scaling of assets all over the goddamn place
>music that's almost there but still off key and off tempo in spots, and often at the wrong tempo from the source material regardless
>physics and gameplay that seem merely eyeballed once or twice and replicated carelessly

General britbong port discussion I guess. Was there a single euro port that didn't suffer from these problems?
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>3475447
Literally why? What about my post wasn't /vr/, idiot? It's not like I shitposted "lawl it sure sucks mirite?" I prompted a discussion about the game, it's specific flaws, and euro conversion flaws. Fuck you.
>>
>>3475447
/v/ doesn't care about Classicvania, the oldest CV they've played is Aria of Sorrow.

Also OP, European computers didn't have any standards, so they just shat out whatever most of the time, which is why Amiga is such a joke.
>>
>>3475453
>>3475465
How many eurobashing threads do we need weekly? This board is fucking dead.
>>
>>3475478
>How many eurobashing threads do we need weekly?

>implying that there can ever be enough
>>
>>3475478
Until those smug pommy bastards admit that the Spectrum and Amiga are trash.
>>
>>3475478
There are plenty of great original Euro games. I was just asking if there were decent ports, too. Just out of curiosity. Maybe even one that surpassed the original.
>>
1. What is 'game jam'
2. The coders probably only played part of the game or saw footage of it
3. The coders were German, not British
>>
>>3475493
Where a bunch of coder hipsters get together and mash out games in a small time frame. I dunno, "let's make a port of a classic game in an eyeballed, Euro-port kinda way" also seems funny to me.
>>
>>3475465
How could a computer have 'standards'? Do you think Commodore would make all software developers go through then for approval? That'd be both retarded and tyrannical.
>>3475486
Compared to what? The Spectrum was good for a budget computer, being extremely cheap and capable, while the Amiga was a top of the line computer and remained prominent for a decade.
>>
>>3475497
They were hired by Konami, by the way.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKY87e6j04

>awesome music
>awesome intro
>awesome art
>stiff as fuck boring gameplay

godfuckingdammit yurop
>>
>>3475505
Yep, that it was sanctioned by them is also kinda funny. Reminds me a bit of the shithouse TMNT1 DOS port.
>>
/vr/ is the only place on the Internet who cares deeply about the Amiga port.
>>
>>3475517
/vr/ is deeply concerned about everything that has little to no relevance..
>>
>>3475517
Amiga does what Nintendon't.
>>
>>3475528
Sega's European Mega Drive slogan was better than that Nintendon't shit. I guess because Nintendo was irrelevant here they didn't have to go after them.
>>
File: fuckingmasterpiece.webm (344KB, 576x360px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingmasterpiece.webm
344KB, 576x360px
>>3475443
>better aesthetics than Castlevania (NES)
>more diverse gameplay than Castlevania (NES)
>far superior sound quality than Castlevania (NES)
>more challenging game design than Castlevania (NES)

I dunno OP, I'd rather play Amigavania than the shitty NES version.
>>
File: castlevania_amiga_03.gif (41KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania_amiga_03.gif
41KB, 640x400px
>>3475539
>that gay ass wizard that appears after that segment
>those fucking zombies
>better aesthetics
>better
>aesthetics
>b... *strokes out*

Just fucking no. The rest of your post is similarly (you)
>>
>>3475552
What the fuck is an 'ass wizard'?
>>
>>3475552
dat jojo pose tho
>>
>>3475570
Is this supposed to be English?
>>
Amiga Castlevania is great, but it's inferior to the arcade Castlevania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpJhJfe5f_4
>>
>>3475574
Haha, oh man. Haunted Castle. It's a bad game but goddamn it, Cross Your Heart almost convinces me it's good every time I play it.
>>
>>3475539
I think you're talking about the MSX version
>>
>>3475497
Eh no. its just a competition, anyone can take part. my buddy works for an acutal game dev company and won a few years ago. The Devs who skyrim had one too and make some cool shit that never got released into the game.
>>
>>3475682
[semantic ackshyuallyism]
>>
>>3475443
>ratio and scaling of assets all over the goddamn place

What is it with kids all the sudden bitching up a storm about this kind of thing?
>>
>>3475725
Game Grumps started talking about it. Egoraptor's year of 'game design' study has really paid off.
>>
>>3475725
Look at those fucking zombies. Does that really not look retarded to you? Look at how things seem to be randomly stretched horizontally throughout the whole game. Oh sure, I'm just meming though.
>>
Oh, and I didn't even mention what seems to be a 20fps lock in a 2D game. Absolutely trash.
>>
>>3475574
>Amiga Castlevania is great

In what bizarre parallel universe?
>>
File: jotaro kujo.png (278KB, 624x448px) Image search: [Google]
jotaro kujo.png
278KB, 624x448px
>>3475573
Why yes, good sir. I am afraid this poster might be very well referring to the works of Hirohiko Araki, and to be more precise, "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". He's pointing out in the general direction of the fact that one of the sprites depicted in the previously offered capture of a video frame (which pertains to the game in discussion through the many posts comprising this thread, by the way) resembles with some degree of accuracy a pose usually demonstrated by one of the characters belonging to Mr. Araki's magnum opus. It is with my most intense of intentions that you will find my expressions sufficiently adept. I will also concede that anonymous person was extremely succinct in his remarks; however, I am afraid none of the aforementioned translates directly into some manner of a free pass for you to conduct yourself like a douchebag, good sir.
>>
When will the Amiga bashing meme finally stop? Or is it one person this dedicated to hating that computer?
>>
>>3476085
Fuck off, Australia-kun.
>>
File: Enduro Racer.webm (872KB, 768x564px) Image search: [Google]
Enduro Racer.webm
872KB, 768x564px
Bad home computer ports general?
>>
>>3476152
Webm not related. The C64 port is great
>>
>>3476158

4fps aside, it's almost impossible to stay on the road compared to the arcade or even the Spectrum versions. Zzap gave it a 16% score.

OutRun and Space Harrier played alright, though.
>>
>>3476152
That fucking mouse cursor!
>>
>>3475952
Define 'dat' and 'tho', then.
>>
>>3476091
Fuck off, anti-Australia-kun.
>>
>>3475517
Amigavania is a /vr/ meme. There's no better way to explain it, it's a meme.
>>
>>3475502
compared to consoles. they might have been the best options for computers but that doesnt change the fact that they were clearly inferior compared to consoles.
>>
>>3475813
Complaining in 2016 that the graphics of a game that more than likely came out before you were born aren't up to your standards is meming, yes.
>>
>>3477672

I don't think he's talking about the graphics, but about the art direction.

The NES and MSX Castlevanias look fine, Amigavania looks retarded.
>>
I see screenshots of Amigavania and I think "oh that might be kinda fun to try" and then I see video of it and remember why I haven't bothered.
>>
>>3476726
How was the Amiga inferior to any 8 or 16 bit console?
>>
>>3478221
It wasn't.

But its games were.
>>
>>3475486
Amiga was cool.

t. not a pom
>>
I had a Megadrive and NES, played some SNES, and I found the games and graphics on my cousins amiga were VASTLY better. Moonstone. Cannon fodder. Turrican. I could go on.
>>
>>3478242
The amiga was just like any other console or computer of the time. It had a library of games which the vast majority was crap, but also a very solid library of originals. Most of you simply haven't played or heard of the best Amiga games. So I would advise you to go back and play:

Ruff and Tumble
Chaos Engine
GODS
Xenon 2
Cannon Fodder
Moonstone
Speedball 2
Lionheart
Misadventures of Flik
Legend
Lost Patrol
Worms: Director's Cut
Alien Breed series
Sensible Soccer and SWOS
Ishar series

Also keep in mind that certain classics of the era were first created and programmed for Amiga. Early SCUMM games being a prime example.
>>
File: top-banana.png (45KB, 640x256px) Image search: [Google]
top-banana.png
45KB, 640x256px
>Amiga
>good
>>
>>3475443

These kinds of ports got ZERO official support. They just told the company to make a version and then let them make whatever.

You know those threads where people get confused what sprites are supposed to be? That happens there too. They devs are just eyeballing the game, then trying to figure out what it is. Konami never did anything as basic as give them art work to help them disern the sprites. This results in them being wildly wrong on enemies, like thinking the zombies are long haired, people who hop on their fucking toes.
>>
>>3478481

And this is their take on Dracula.
>>
>>3478453
All of those games have better examples of their given genres on other platforms, with maybe the exception of worms. The Amiga itself isn't bad but its best games are just decent to mediocre when compared to similar games on genesis, SNES or PS1.
>>
>>3478493
Holy crap, I assume that's his final form.
>>
>>3475486
>pommy
Australia pls go.
>>
>>3475508
It's tragic really. Psygnosis are the same.

At least The Chaos Engine was great though.
>>
>>3475568
Kek. This is what happens when people don't hyphenate.
>>
>>3478493
Fucking hell that's comical!
>>
>>3475502
>That'd be both retarded and tyrannical.
huh, considering that this is exactly what Nintendo did, and the nes castlevania is actually good...
>>
>>3476228
(You)
>>
>>3478481
At least they made the text in the top left corner shiny. Easily makes this the most polished and playable version of castlevania and really shows off the power of the Amiga.
>>
Anyone knows if Mike and James from Cinemassacre own an Amiga? I'd be willing to send them a copy of Amigavania.

I'm sure a new AVGN episode would come out of it.
>>
>>3480336
Bad bait. Some of those games are Amiga exclusives, and all of the rest have been widely considered to be played best on Amiga or CD32.
>>
>>3485362
I don't think so. You could send them an email, I guess.
>>
>>3485362

They could emulate it.
>>
>>3485761
But they won't.
>>
>>3485362

I have a spare Amiga 500 I could send them, but I assume the shipping costs from Europe to USA of it would be not too cheap... I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>3485372
>what is reading comprehension
I said better examples of their genres, not better ports of the same games.
>>
>>3485362
>>3485798
They don't bother with hardly anything PC related, except maybe the odd tiny bit of c64 here and there. And even then I'm pretty sure the only reason they have the c64 was so they could make the "superman on Commodore 64" joke.
>>
>>3486215

Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iEn5rzMnw

He bothered with the DOS Mega Man games.

I can imagine them flipping their shit if they see Amigavania, high chances of it getting a full episode, maybe including the C64 version as well, but mainly Amigavania.
>>
File: spectral-interlude.png (16KB, 536x408px) Image search: [Google]
spectral-interlude.png
16KB, 536x408px
>>3486230
How about a "Lesser Known Castlevanias" episode that includes MSX Vampire Killer, Amigavania, DOS/C64 Castlevania, and Spectral Interlude? Just in time for Halloween.
>>
>>3486238
Don't forget Haunted Castle and Castlevania 68K.
>>
>>3486238

Yeah, that'd be pretty good actually.

He already has an old IBM PC and a C64, not sure if they have any MSX, Spectrum or Amiga though. I hope the other anon who said he might send him an Amiga is able to.
>>
>>3486230
Pretty sure that's just because it's mega man. But still, I'd love to see 80s microcomputer and Amiga and the like on avgn but I don't think its gonna happen. >>3486238's suggestion would be awesome material for an episode but it's too far out of their very narrow comfort zone.
>>
>>3486245

>just because it's mega man

and? I think James and Mike are bigger Castlevania fans than Mega Man.

They've done episodes for shit like Jaguar and other bizarre stuff. Most likely they aren't even aware of Amigavania's existence. They'd most likely do an episode on it.
>>
>>3486250
Well then email them to your heart's content, anon
>>
>>3486251

Will do probably. Everyone else wanting that episode should email them too.
>>
>>3475443
Why would you think this is ironic? Are you dumb?
>>
>>3486238
I would drop Spectral, seeing as it wasn't officially endorsed or published by Konami, but James might like it since it's based off Simon's Quest, his favorite Castlevania game after IV. Replace it with maybe the Sharp game and call it "Computer Castlevanias". They wouldn't need to get an actual Sharp X68K to play it since the original mode on Playstation is identical.
>>
>>3486263

Are you? You apparently can't fucking read.

I said if I didn't know better, and even then it's fairly obvious it was a low budget barely sanctioned computer port of the time.

Just face it, your port sucks.
>>
File: im done.gif (897KB, 352x199px) Image search: [Google]
im done.gif
897KB, 352x199px
>>3478493
>>
>>3486259

Already sent them a mail just now. Let's see if they reply.

I can't imagine they'd ignore something like Amigavania, it's too funny not to make an episode out of it.
>>
>>3485798
Please don't do that. They could've easily afford that if they wanted to and I'm sure they're aware of the system after a decade of running the show.
>>
>>3486657

He said he has a spare one he wouldn't mind giving away, and if they don't have an Amiga, receiving one for free from a fan will give them an extra incentive to make an episode with it.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.