[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT retro game secrets people wouldn't have found without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: 300w.jpg (16KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300w.jpg
16KB, 300x225px
ITT retro game secrets people wouldn't have found without guides or the internet

>Mario has to defeat a Chomp Chomp and jump three times to make an invisible platform appear
>>
File: Tantarian.gif (17KB, 285x275px) Image search: [Google]
Tantarian.gif
17KB, 285x275px
A lot of shit in FF9, actually.
>>
>>3474971
Castlevania 2
>>
Using strength to move the truck and face Mew is possible and has been done, but only via arbitrary code execution.
>>
>>3475006
Considering the shit I've seen with arbitrary code execution, I hesitate to call you a liar.
>>
>>3475001
>the only option you have to kill this fucker is right after a long ass story development. If you die (which I fucking did over and over) you're fucked
>>
File: toot.png (27KB, 860x2070px) Image search: [Google]
toot.png
27KB, 860x2070px
At least one of these
>>
>>3475003

Finished it with nothing but dedication by the age of 10.
>>
>>3475006

You can get Mew with a glitch, I tested it on an actual cartridge and it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79qsEvHCz4w#t=3m55s
>>
>>3475665
Works on the virtual console versions too.
>>
All kind of cheat codes that required specific inputs like the konami code, or stuff like Sonic 2's sound test level select cheat.
>>
>>3475665
Is it only pokemon yellow, or can you do it in red and blue?
>>
File: Mewcertificate.jpg (51KB, 400x281px) Image search: [Google]
Mewcertificate.jpg
51KB, 400x281px
>>3476463

I've done it on Blue.

The whole time I was afraid it'd be another scam like the truck, but nope, it actually works. You can also make any other of the 150 pokemon depending on where you trigger the glitch.
>>
>>3475001
Me and my friend both found this during the escape from the castle and we're idiots, what's your excuse? You can even go back later if you avoided him the first time
>>
>>3476470
I haven't played the games since '99, but was thinking of getting one of them on the 3DS eshop for the hell of it. I love me some drinks and comfy rpg's after work.
>>
The Tetris rant.
>>
>>3475001
FF games have always been full of cryptic/hidden shit, and the 5th and 6th gen games seem to be the worst offenders. I'd bet it's just a way to sell a ton of strategy guides.
>>
warp zone on level 2 of super mario
>>
File: fffffffff.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fffffffff.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>3476540
> offenders

Adding esoteric secrets would be a bad thing if they didn't do it by the cartload. With so much hidden stuff, you were bound to find some of it by yourself and learn about others "online" (i.e. friends, magazines and guides back then) while leaving potential for some remaining hidden for years -pic related-. Feeling compelled to play this kind of game the first time around with a guide around as some kind of checklist feels a bit sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYMDCuS_lA
>>
File: mariofacewhen.gif (986KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
mariofacewhen.gif
986KB, 500x384px
>>3476602
> MFW 20 years later you find online you can jump on goombas to kill them
>>
File: Shadowrun4.jpg (95KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun4.jpg
95KB, 640x480px
The cheat/debug mode in the Super Nintendo Shadowrun.

You have to equip the matchbox near a certain lamppost outside of the morgue where you wake up at the very beginning of the game, use it like five times until you hear like two beeps in quick succession, walk back into the morgue building, use it again, and then you teleport into a room where you can get free karma (experience points) and nu-yen (money), and teleport to any location in the game. Apparently, no one ever found out about this, so the devs revealed it in an interview like 20 years after the game's release.
>>
>>3474971
You don't even need to defeat that Chomp, as indicated by the pic.
>>
>>3476602

I found that myself. Kids try lots of stupid shit.

I missed getting Magus's best gear the first few times going through CT. He really needed some DTs and real TTs though.
>>
>>3476862
I did when I was 7 and had autism

its okay sometimes I don't believe me either
>>
>>3476862
That's a dev room you mong. Your not supposed to find it. It's only there for the people to test things out in the game. Hence the term development room. We're talking about legit secrets left for players to find.
>>
The hidden UFO on the first level of Kirby's Adventure comes to mind. Who would have stumbled across that?

The hidden room in Alttp. Sure, someone might accidentally stumble into it, but not very likely.

The SF2 upgrade in Mega Man X. You really got to know it's there to bother going after it.

realMyst is full of this stuff, like the hidden cannon, the hidden gun, etc.
>>
File: duh.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
duh.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>3477020
>The hidden UFO on the first level of Kirby's Adventure

I didn't learn about that one until I played the 3DS remake, and I honestly thought it *was* my own fault for not paying attention. It's not even an invisible door with no visual cue or anything
>>
>>3476463
I did it with my Red physical cart years ago.
>>
>>3476862
But that's a debug room, it doesn't count. Sim City has one too, by the way.
>>
>>3477020
SMB3 had the white block in the first level you could use to get in the background, right?
>>
>>3477026
This is my first time hearing about this. Then again I only played through Kirby's Adventure once, and the remake once.
>>
no one knew about the golden torizo code until like 2002.

>The code must be inputted using the controls in either room before the Golden Torizo, and it will not work if the Torizo has been destroyed. To perform this code, the player must hold the A, B, X and Y buttons all at once as they enter the battle room. Doing so will grant them seven Energy Tanks (700 units of energy), three Reserve Tanks (300 reserve units of energy), 100 Missiles, 20 Super Missiles, 20 Power Bombs, and every item in the game, except for the Screw Attack and X-Ray Scope (the former can be obtained depending on what entrance to the Torizo room is used). Notably, it enables both the Spazer and Plasma Beams, which will crash the game if fired unless the player enters in Morph Ball mode, or if fired when facing the door.
>>
File: superman s landing page.png (6KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
superman s landing page.png
6KB, 600x300px
>>3477048
My older brothers knew about this.
They knew every fucking secret in that game.

It's nuts how information spreads through schools before the internet was commonplace.
>>
>>3477086
Yeah, it's almost like 1 out of the 30+ kids in your class statistically had a subscription to Nintendo Power or something. Nuts, I tell you.
>>
>>3477073
but you can glitch the menu to enable both plasma and spazer normally and it doesn't crash the game?
>>
>>3477554
That makes sense. I totally forgot about nintendo power. We never subscribed to magazines.

I'm too used to /vr/ saying shit like, "Kids these days don't have the patience to try everything on every tile like we did!"
>>
>>3477591
the var beam/murder beam is very finicky. Depending how you use it you need to have certain beams off or make sure the room you are in arent a certain shape/size. I forget all the details. I haven't messed with it in a long time.
>>
>>3474971
I still have no idea how people figure out undocumented moves in fighting games, especially fatalities and shit in Mortal Kombat.
>>
>>3477748
They press buttons and try random things and go oh shit when they work then try to reproduce.
>>
>>3477748
GamePro
>>
>>3477748
Usually, stickers on arcade machines had movesets printed on them back in the day.
>>
>>3475026
We found all three without help.
None of them are obscure.

But back then when you didn't have a shit ton of games, we played the shit out of the ones we had.
>>
File: block.png (11KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
block.png
11KB, 1920x1080px
>>3480701
Come on, anon; everybody learned of the white block whistle through some magazine, or through some kid at school doing so and then telling everybody (but more often than not claiming he/she totally found it without help)
>>
I have a theory that no one ever figured out kneeling with the crystal in Simon's Quest on their own. It was all the Nintendo Power hints being passed from kid to kid.
>>
>>3481532

I remember we had a thread about this before and one guy showed up being all like "nah, you're just fucking stupid, it was really obvious, maybe if you weren't so used to being spoonfed by modern games you'd be able to figure it out too". I fully expect another one of 'those guys' to show up again if we talk about this. As far as I see it though, I'm sure maybe one or two kids figured it out through pure luck and persistence. I just don't believe anyone who says they were one of those kids. Especially if they're getting all up their own ass about it. Probably a lot of them just misremember it and honestly think they solved it themselves as a child but actually it was some kid in the schoolyard who told them how to do it.
>>
>>3481542
>Yeah nah you're so stupid if you weren't so spoonfed by modern games you wouldn't think to use the saddle on the snake to turn it into a pegasus you need to read your greek myths faggot.
This is pretty much them. Game I referenced was King's Quest 2
>>
>>3481542
Yeah that sounds like super obvious trolling. Anyone who actually did figure it out on their own wouldn't have talked about it like that. We have many people around here who spew that kind of thing just for shits and giggles though.
>>
>>3481318
Not at all, shit like this shows you kids ages. We learned that shit from the wizard. I saw that in that movie before I played the game and it is permanently burned to memory.
>>
the EJB menu in Mortal Kombat 1-3
>>
>>3482240
I absolutely figured it out on my own, never even watched the wizard

probably cause I'm fucking psychic niggers

you all just jelly cause you're normal people who can have normal lives and be happy and accepted by others and shit
>>
>>3482817
A local arcade of mine has MK 1-3 and I used the code to put my initials at the top of mk2 and mk3

Could never get the timing right for mk1 for some reason
>>
>>3475001
If you have a habit of examining everything (which you should, if you play rpgs) he's easy to find. I can understand how people could miss it, but I wouldn't be surprised if most people stumbled upon him first time playing.
>>
>>3474971
>3 jumps and a bright card will get you in

Hmmm, well I have the bright card now and I have the Jump, Super Jump and Ultra Jump so now what do I do? This is what I thought as a kid and never figured it out until I got the internet.
>>
>>3476919
if they leave it accessible you're supposed to find it you fat fuck. you usually need a game genie to find a dev room and sometimes those don't even work. go suck yourself.
>>
>>3482886
For some reason I find exploring in ff9 tedious and exhausting.
>>
>>3482824
Watching movies wasn't normal for you as a kid?

Oh shit..... nvm I just realised. You're underage.

Ah well sorry about that.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.