[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm wanting to build an arcade machine, something that runs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1443222616165.jpg (964KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1443222616165.jpg
964KB, 2048x1536px
I'm wanting to build an arcade machine, something that runs MAME. I have a wooden cabinet, a control panel that runs off of USB, and an older windows PC that runs up to Dreamcast effectively.

I want to get a CRT and then put a good frontend on the arcade, something that is user-friendly, shows off previews of the game, and gives the control layout before the game starts. Anybody have one to recommend? Thanks.
>>
>>3471438
>>>/vr/crt
>>
>>3473379
do they talk much about frontends there?
>>
>>3473401
I don't know who metaljesusrocks is, but google told me that gameex, hyperspin, and a few others are used. I'm looking for info and opinions on them. And since it took longer than 2 seconds both to google search arcade frontends and to post this thread here, I don't really see how either thing implies a lack of care.

I don't think anyone uses an arcade machine 'all the time' but I don't think anybody uses any game device all the time either. But do tell, is there a better way for me to get my arcade fix at a stand-up unit, given I'm in a town that has no arcades?
>>
>>3473410
I'm not interested in playing fighting games, I'm more about playing good old atari and williams games, maybe some namco and other company stuff. The multi-cade route looks better because I can put more games in a machine and save space, but still get the proper feel of playing against the machine. I mean, if I just wanted to emulate normally then I could play all the home compilations that came out on the later systems.

Why would I use an LCD for CRT games? I've already seen Asteroids emulated on an LCD for example, and it doesn't look right at all. Same for a number of other games I want to play on it.

I'm welcome to some alternatives here, but you just seem like you want to bash my ideas for some ulterior reason, be it for fun or to let out anger or for something else. Is there a reason you're being so negative in your responses?
>>
>>3473418
I've been doing something like that, but it's not quite the same for me, even when I am playing on my CRT with an arcade stick. I want to get something flashier and a bit more authentic.
>>
>>3473447
>>3473447

It seems largely focused on fighting games, with only certain older games being supported, and I'm not really interested in arcade netplay, unless it's something like Gauntlet, which doesn't look like it's supported anyway.

But all this is really kind of beyond the point, I'm still looking for a frontend for an arcade machine. Are Hyperspin or GameEx good, or is something else better, or what?
>>
Hyperspin is good, though it requires a LOT of work to keep stable. It's mainly a problem for older emulators/games that fuck with the resolution. GameEx is probably easier to set-up though it's a bit too plain for me.
>>
>>3474053
so will mame work well with it, or is that a no-go on the resolutions point? I wasn't sure if you meant older emulators as in emulators released long ago or older emulators as in emulations of older games.

I agree on the plainness element, not sure that GameEx really satisfies the pizzazz levels I'm looking for.
>>
I'm using attractmode. It's not complicated, but it's still a fair amount of work to get everything together, roms, pics, vids, emulator commandlines, etc. It's meant to be about the most straightforward frontend out there that isn't totally archaic.
>>
Spending shitloads of time on a fancy front end is a sure symptom that you're not actually going to play any particular game very much. If you ask me, a much classier way to do it is to either get or reproduce a cabinet of a favorite arcade title and have your mame auto-start that game then for there to be a "hidden" access to the rom list.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.