[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Best friend gives me a dusty old Nintendo 64 he didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: Original-Nintendo-64.jpg (33KB, 597x396px) Image search: [Google]
Original-Nintendo-64.jpg
33KB, 597x396px
>Best friend gives me a dusty old Nintendo 64 he didn't want
>No complaints cause I lost mine but still have the games.
>AV cable is busted
>get new one
>Start blowing into 64 to clean it up a bit
>hook it up to CRT tv
>Start up Mario 64
>Black screen, no sound
>Unplug and plug stuff in, even remove the jumper pak
>Load up Mario 64 again
>Stars aligned and it worked
>Shut it off to play Rogue Squadron
>Black screen
>Put Mario 64 back in
>Black screen

What do /vr/ ?
Also 64 thread
>>
Clean off the dust off the pins and cart slot. Don't just blow at them, your saliva might make things even worse.
>>
>>3472129
With a q-tip?
>>
>>3472132

Yes, and some isopropyl alcohol
>>
File: 1460845229176.jpg (192KB, 665x630px) Image search: [Google]
1460845229176.jpg
192KB, 665x630px
>>3472120
>>Start blowing into 64 to clean it up a bit
>>
File: 1463358703339.png (167KB, 637x708px)
1463358703339.png
167KB, 637x708px
>>3472147
I don't have a can of compressed air on me.
>>
>>3472161
>i don't have a screwdriver so I just started hitting it with a hammer
>>
Blowing on the cart works because

1. It removes dust/debris (not usually the issue)
2. It adds a small amount of moisture that helps the connection.

The moisture does cause SOME corrosion in the long term but it's not as big a deal as some fags claim.

Compressed air can be a source of ESD damage, anyways.
>>
>>3472219
>this entire post
>>
File: 1463089278633.png (250KB, 1024x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1463089278633.png
250KB, 1024x1038px
>>3472219
>>
Just use a qtip with some rubbing alcohol on it. Rub with the wet side, then the dry side. Do this until the qtip stops turning black.
>>
File: Iwata-Bow.jpg (87KB, 646x359px) Image search: [Google]
Iwata-Bow.jpg
87KB, 646x359px
>>3472485
Thanks. A friend of mine just left the house so I'll have him pick some up on the way home.
>>
Found some alcohol in the bathroom.
Rogue Squadron is up and running. Gonna clean the rest of my library after a couple of levels and chores. Thanks so much guys.
64 general thread.
>>
>>3472235
>>3472243

IPC-A-610 "Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies" states that compressed air is an electrostatic discharge hazard as the air can pick up a charge as it moves across insulators.

Air blown from the mouth is slower and carries much higher humidity, both of which reduce charge build-up.

I did the miss the part where he was blowing on the actual N64 cart slot. The moisture build-up effect is still likely to occur, aiding conduction and corrosion, but he is unlikely to remove any debris that it in the cart slot.

If you have a more authoritative source than IPC stating that compressed air is safe to use I'd love to hear it as it would make several process steps easier at work.
>>
>>3472641
OP here
See the main post.
I blew air through the air vents into the 64 to try and clean it of dust.
I just used some rubbing alcohol and q tips and that got it working again.
>>
File: FRIEND.jpg (18KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
FRIEND.jpg
18KB, 450x253px
>>3472641
So you are citing an infintessimal chance of electrostatic damage to large process ICs in order to justify spraying bodily fluids wholesale over electrical contacts?

Gotcha
>>
Another trick with the N64 is to make sure the jumper/expansion pak is seated properly. Also gamebits make cleaning cartridges easier.
>>
File: subway-man.jpg (76KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
subway-man.jpg
76KB, 650x366px
>>3472779

>Blown IC from static discharge

>contacts which will corrode over 50k insertion cycles vs 100k

Corroded contacts can be cleaned, jumper wires can be added, and worst case you can desolder the mask ROMs and transfer them to another board. N64 cart slot itself can be desoldered and replaced.

No, blowing with your mouth is not the "correct" solution, but it's better than your dumb solution.

"Bodily fluids" -> your N64 is inert and can't catch your autism virus. Breath mostly only contains a little bit of organic vapors and trace amounts of saliva, the remainder being moisture which I already discussed. Saliva enzymes alone aren't going to oxidize copper and the trace salts aren't really going to matter.

Also OP, blowing the dust out really doesn't do anything unless it was caught in the cart slot or you've been grinding metal nearby.

>pic related, it's you
>>
>>3472120
>>Start blowing into 64 to clean it up a bit
you idiot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.