[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people obsessed with the "authentic experience"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: bootlines.jpg (93KB, 615x778px) Image search: [Google]
bootlines.jpg
93KB, 615x778px
Why are people obsessed with the "authentic experience"? This guy won't play an emulated version. And he bought a cart that turned out to be a reproduction cart. He refuses to play that too.

I'm genuinely curious about people like this.
>>
People like owning stuff
>>
>cartridge made decades ago and released officially by nintendo
>cheap chink made cartridge with most likely lesser materials
>no conceivable difference.

You can delete the thread now.
>>
Why are they so half-assed about it?
He should be getting Vampire Killer for the Mega Drive instead some localization.

Not wanting to buy bootlegs is pretty understandable.
>>
IMO you need a time machine for authentic experience.
>>
I think it's more about being a collectorfag than playing the games, because a flash cart and a proper repro will both provide a 1:1 experience on console as far as playing the game goes, even if you do want to dismiss emulator. Bloodlines doesn't even save, so a repro couldn't fuck that up either.

Unless you want to argue that you have some nostalgia for switching carts in, in which case a repro works for that end as well. but for these people, it's mostly about having expensive boxes and plastic on your shelves.
>>
>>3469815
Bits remain the same, anon.
>>
>>3469816

Bloodlines (US) was released before Vampire Killer in japan.
>>
If he lives in a PAL territory, laugh at his supposed "elitism" for playing slowed down versions of games.
>>
>>3469825
By a day. It's still a Japanese game.
>>
People like to collect things and maybe put it on display. Or maybe it just helps with the nostalgia experience. Some people even get old CRT televisions to play classic games on.
>>
>>3469831
>Some people even get old CRT televisions to play classic games on.

That's a must for /vr/.

You can emulate using a CRT anyway. Most of the time people have input lag issues is because of their modern TVs.
>>
>>3469817
I'd argue it's not your opinion, but a fact
No matter how much you try to experience it like someone else did back when it was released, the sole fact that you're trying to do it consciously already makes it a different experience
>>
>>3469821
Is buying bootleg movies from some guy's trunk the same as buying a movie from the store?
>>
>>3469802
>sosagames
I bought a GBA cart from them. The back of the cartridge was fucking melted.

Stay the fuck away from them.
>>
>paid for an expensive item and got something different
>why is he mad?
>>
>>3469802
repro carts are fine if you're selling them as and they're clearly marked as repro carts
>>
>>3469846
we don't know how much he paid, and given that Bloodlines is not particularly cheap, I'm willing to bet he jumped on a "deal" when it's pretty obvious what you're getting from the price

take the $3 pokemon gba carts that ship from hong kong for example. not a big mystery.
>>
>>3469830

To be fair even some early unfinished prototypes were of the Castlevania named version.
>>
>>3469837
>buying movies
:^)
>>
>>3469802
Most collectors don't even enjoy playing games. If it's not real it won't go on his failure shelf, because to him the only thing that really matters is his failure shelf.
>>
>>3469802

Always a question of the price.
A repro is fine but it has to be clearly advertised as a repro and you pay far less for it the rare original. Otherwise it's pretty much fraud if you paid the price for a genuine little Samson and then get sent a repro cart.
>>
>>3469815
It's completely fine if the price reflect the shoddy materials cost (like 5-10$), unless they could very well fuck up your console.
>>
File: char_12842.jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_12842.jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>3469859

>not having a physical collection of your favorite movies in different formats like LD or DVD if you feel like watching on CRT, and BD or HDVD for watcing HD remasters.

What a total pleb, I bet you emulate too.
>>
>>3469837
If the quality is the same, sure. Nintendo and Konami ain't making a penny from someone reselling an authentic copy vs a bootleg. If the bootleg works then it's fine.
>>
>>3469837
>Is buying bootleg movies from some guy's trunk the same as buying a used movie from a different guy's trunk?
fix'd
>>3469871
hah, I bet you don't even own a betamax!
>>
>>3469871
Sounds like you're not projecting.
>>
File: 1369588989286.jpg (121KB, 800x849px) Image search: [Google]
1369588989286.jpg
121KB, 800x849px
>>3469871
>HDVD
>>
>>3469802
>guy pays for an authentic copy which always command a premium.
>has to return it because ebay got sick of authenticating shit and people knowingly buying repros and the claiming they were duped to get a free game

Hurdur, why's he upset? Emulating is free!
>>
>authentic experience
Because most kids were fixated with calibrated BVM CRTs and officially released Nintendo-stamped cards on their legit first party controllers.
Why can't people just accept that they grew up and move on?
>>
>>3469802
Damn, whenever I get something that's not as advertised I just return it. I don't complain on social media. I just returned a $1500 fridge because the ice maker was crap, it kept locking up. I didn't blast the company on facebook, I just got my money back and bought something from a different manifacturer. I can guarantee it won't be the last time I'm not satisfied with a product.
>>
>>3469815
I'd be genuinely pissed if I paid full prices for a repro or was otherwise deceived but other than that they're the same game. Same with hating on flashcarts, it's the same exact game, no difference, it just hasn't been in a Nintendo sweatshop.
>>
>>3470235
vocal minority, him and you (for posting that)
>>
>>3470251
How is that an opinion? I'm stating what I do comparatively.
>>
idgaf about software, just needs to load the data but I don't enjoy emulation or scaled retro as much as sitting on the floor in front of a crt with a wired controller plugged into the actual console.

>>3469871
I watch blu-ray on my crts they are the only displays in my bedroom. Looks much better than dvd even on sd sets.

>>3470051
not that fancy but we only had first party stuff and had a s-video tv and hifi audio in 1989. NES and Genesis are the only consoles I ever played in composite growing up. Nobody had a tg16
>>
>>3469819
A few things here:

1. Ebay actually doesn't allow you to sell repros.

2. If you know full well it's a repro and you don't care it's not an issue. If you want an authetnic copy and it turns out to be a repro then it's a problem.

3. Sosa games is shit. I ordered Secret of Evermore like 2 years ago and he sent me Secret of Mana. Normally I wouldn't be mad but I already had Secret of Mana and it took antoher 2 weeks to get my secret of evermore and I had bought it to play with my buddy who was visiting from out of town and I missed it.

Honestly, if you buy something and it's not what you were told it's going to be, you'd be mad.

If you ordered a red skateboard and they showed up with a green one you'd be rightfully mad. Now imagine you ordered an authetnic rare coin and it turned out to be made of chocolate, you'd be rigthfully mad as well.
>>
>>3469815
>abloobloo this was made in a normal gulag instead of a Nintendoâ„¢-approved one
>>
>>3469802
When I buy a zippo, I want it to last nearly all my life, not get a Chinese piece of junk that literally falls apart in months.

Same thing for most stuff.
>>
>>3469802
He's totally justified in being mad about being sold a fake copy. I'm fine with repros as long as they make it obvious it's a reproduction but fuck sellers who try to deceive people with them. Though most attempts at trying to pass off a reproduction Genesis cart as the real thing online have been insanely obvious in my experience so this guy may just be an idiot.
>>
>>3470415
I don't think you understand how solid state passive electronics works. Zippos have moving parts, wearable parts, and are made out of a metal that won't get eaten away by solvents, that's a lot more to go wrong than something that electricity passes through.

I get your point, but your analogy is bad, unrelatable and based off conjecture.
>>
>>3470332
I dont know man... chocolate is pretty tasty.
>>
>>3469802
Its just fun, honestly its not hurting anyone but himself so who cares? besides its nice to tell people that you own what is quickly becoming an antique rather than a god damn bootleg.
>>
>>3469815
>chink

nintendo is an asian company as well dipshit. Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>3469802
>Why are people obsessed with the "authentic experience"?

For the same reason men obsess over popping a girl's cherry.
>>
He expected a genuine copy and didn't get it, that has nothing to do with the game itself. This is like ordering a gold ring and getting a fake one.

>>3471862
>le vaginanologies
>>
>>3471862
>no hymen, no retron5
>>
>>3469802
Those people are always without fail absolutely shit players that's why they care more about muh nostalgia and owning a bunch of shit to make up for it.
>>
>>3471862
the only people who obsess over virgins are premature ejaculators who want to get away with it

and/or pedos
>>
>>3472623
like sure maybe there's novelty in wanting to be the first person to have sex with someone but can you imagine how goddamn boring and insipid it would feel to boink some nerd ass virgin?
>>
>>3469802
what is autism
>>
>>3469802
>And he bought a cart that turned out to be a reproduction cart. He refuses to play that too.

I can see why he's mad at the scenario in the pic:

as a customer, based on seller provided information, he was under the assumption that he was purchasing a genuine cart. When it turned out to be a repro, it boils down to it being false advertising.

It's fucked up that the seller lied. On the other hand, it's autistic that he won't use a repro with real hardware as his non-collectable play copy.

Probably because they either:

a) never grew up with it but want to seem sophisticated by experiencing exactly what their superiors experienced firsthand

b) they DID experience it first hand and are autistically obsessed with reliving their childhoods because their adult life is shit

c) they're speed runners/other technical gamers who need to take advantage of undocumented hardware quirks in order to save time or accomplish other amazing feats

d) they're monetized let's players who can't get caught using illegal means to produce television because they make so much money as to be worth suing
>>
>>3469802
nice try blocking out the username you forgot one though, thanks for making it easier to find this massive fucking pleb.
>>
>>3469802
>pay for A
>receive B
>get mad
Doesn't seem that weird to me.
>>
If you gave this fucker a black box with only a controller coming out, they would never ever be able to tell if the thing inside is a dedicated emulation PC or the real console.
>>
I bought a Bloodlines repro for $5 off of AliExpress just recently. I just care about being able to play the game on a Genesis on my crt TV.
>>
>>3469802
Maybe nothing in the ad stated it was a repro. I'd be pissed too.
>>
>>3476001
>Yaaaaaawn
>mmmmkay

You sound like a stupid girl. Oh wait, sorry for being redundant.
>>
>>3469802
He is deeply invested in having an "authentic" experience. He almost certainly grew up in the wake of the 90's explosion of video games. So he wants the closest thing he can get to feeling what it might have been like to play these games when they were current.

Even though a repro cart would give him the same experience in terms of the game, what he is going for is about much more than just playing the game. He needs to feel like he played it "authentically" and that means a real, original cart in a real, original system hooked up to a CRT. It's still a weak pastiche of what it was actually like playing the game in it's day, but it's the closest he can ever come and he knows it so everything has to be as perfect as possible.
>>
>>3469802
Only resellers care... Think about it.
>>
>>3469875
underrated post
>>
>>3472667
It's about trust, commitment, and validation. Lots of people have never received any of those things.

It's fine for people who just fucked someone when they were a teenager and made a big deal of it and got betrayed and followed the normal course of things, to just be normal like that.

But there are also people like me who aren't even impressed by sex or a normal relationship, and I'd probably even reject a girl who was a virgin if she just offered herself up to me without me clearly understanding why and believing that she was doing it for correct, rational and emotionally honest reasons. If a girl won't take care of herself and place a high value on her future and her relationships, then it's hard for me to really place any trust in her you know?

On the other hand, I would absolutely play any game on an emulator, just because there's no reason to give money to someone who isn't the actual developer of the game. For many old games, even if the company that owns the property now were to make a remake or a collection or virtual console release or something, the people who originally made the game don't even work at that company, won't get a cent, and I see no reason why I should give them any money. Resellers are a kind of scum even a step below that. The only reason I won't emulate and will tolerate buying a physical copy is because I physically can't emulate it because it's hardware from last gen and the emulator development and pc hardware isn't there yet.
>>
>>3478760
It's different if you have a cognitive disorder and aren't romantically inclined anyways. He seems to think sex with a virgin will be boring automatically though so he's probably not super experienced either.

When it comes to emulators, it's how I play most of my games now but if there's a way to support a game I like (like the 3DS Sega Classics) then usually take it.
>>
>>3469821

Afraid not. Lot of the fake cart makers are using shit chips and in some cases putting half the game on there to use smaller and cheaper chips.
>>
>>3469802
It's not about the authentic experience but more about I don't want fucking bootlegs. If I wanted a bootleg I'd just play roms.
>>
>>3469802
I don't understand emulated hate, many games are a lot better emulated, from fps, to resolution, to hacks, to any controller you want to play them with, etc. but repro carts is a different story, because he likely paid a lot of money for what he thought was genuine. 70 dollars for a bootleg is not defensible even if its the same game, just like i wouldnt pay 200 dollars for a repro earthbound (or regular, either, but as an example)
>>
>>3469802
Autism. Retardation. Nostalgiafag. And a lack of self awareness.
>>
>>3469875
Cute.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.