[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he doesn't replace his shitty stock Microsoft GS sy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

>he doesn't replace his shitty stock Microsoft GS synth with the superior Yamaha S-YXG50

Do you guys enjoy shitty MIDIs or what?

http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
>>
>shitty MIDIs
extremely fun to say
>>
The Sound Canvas VA also works really well if you use SAVIHost and loopMidi. Generally you need to research which games/files sound best using which VST/module emulator.
>>
>>3467773
I use VirtualMIDISynth so I can swap softsynths on the fly. Works great with DOSBox.
>>
>>3467773
>he doesn't replace his shitty stock Microsoft GS synth with the superior Yamaha S-YXG50

I have Midi files opened with Foobar 2000 which plays them back using either a software synth that can select outputs between a ym2413, a sample synth that can use custom soundfonts, a MT-32 emulator, or any dedicated VST instruments.

Most of the time I use it with Roland Virtual Sound Canvas, which is better than Yamaha XG, at least for the old 90s midis I play back (most of those were written for either OPL2 or Roland Soundcanvas).
>>
File: 71R55pMAACL.jpg (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
71R55pMAACL.jpg
236KB, 1920x1080px
>not using real hardware
>>
>>3467956
FB2K seems to load hosted VSTs slowly, so I stick with vanBasco Karaoke Player if I want quick MIDI playback with barely any loss in accuracy. It's almost as good for building file playlists.
>>
>>3467773
How do you do that? I'd love to replace the old GM with XG for MIDI playback, but I don't want to use another media player (i.e. Foobar2000) to do so.
>>
>>3467773
Thanks for this!
>>
>>3468030
Sorry, I'm a retard. I thought the link was for something else, but it contains details on how to install it as the default MIDI driver.

It's awesome that you don't have to go through a bunch of shit anymore to get XG.
>>
>>3467773
Doesn't the Microsoft GS synth use a licensed Yamaha one? It's been a while since I checked but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the Yamaha XG notice on its tab.
>>
>>3468054
It uses an old, incomplete version of Roland Sound Canvas. Unless I misunderstood your question. It could be since I haven't slept in over 24 hours.
>>
>>3467773
I use VirtualMidiSynth with a Roland SC-55 soundfont. Doom sounds great with it.
>>
>>3468951
Soundfonts can't 100% reproduce it. But there's no reason to settle for it when most source ports of the game will let you use mp3/ogg recorded straight from the actual device itself.

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom
>>
I just use BASSMIDI with a soundfont
>>
Followed the instructions and loaded syxg50 as a VST, but it's still not used globally.
>>
i dont get it, wheres that advanced tab the guide mentions?

>In the Advanced tab choose “VST MIDI synth” as the default MIDI synth.

is it because im using windows 10?
>>
>>3468981
Did anyone ever made a recording of Doom and Doom 2 on a SC-55 with echo and surround turned up a bit? It makes them sound 5x more powerful.

The only recordings I found were either crap quality, or had looping and fadeout on them.
>>
>>3472087
That's what I was wondering as well. There's no advanced tab for me either.
>>
>>3472087
IIRC, VirtualMIDISynth site had some explanations for Windows 8/10 (that I haven't read).

Even with better synth engines, you still have to find and switch soundfonts that match the intended ones.
>>
File: Advanced.png (18KB, 390x306px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced.png
18KB, 390x306px
>>3472087
>>
>>3467773
Just saw this and decided to set up foobar with it. I'm listening to some Telenet Megaten Midi's and it sounds great. Thanks OP!
>>
>>3472824
i dont have that tab...

again, is it because win 10?
>>
File: no tab.png (6KB, 386x305px) Image search: [Google]
no tab.png
6KB, 386x305px
>>3472930
heres my window, maybe someone knows...
>>
>>3472930
>>3472932
It's because MIDI mapper was removed from Windows 8 and 10. Your only hope is if your software can let you explicitly pick your MIDI-out device (which is unlikely for games), otherwise the first installed device will be used (which is 99% almost always shitty MSGS thing). According what was said in VirturalMIDISynth's configurator.
>>
File: Clipboarder.2016.09.03.png (81KB, 1069x569px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboarder.2016.09.03.png
81KB, 1069x569px
Since this thread is slightly relevant to what I wanted to show off, here's what I've been working on for the past few months:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0o7GkfWTbNHRHhiSEpraE0ybzQ

Linked should a Google Drive folder containing a soundfont collection using audio recorded from softsynths like MUNT and Sound Canvas VA. The MT-32 one is kind of done, the SC-55 one is still WIP but all it needs are some final touches and that SFX drumkit.

r8 & h8
>>
>>3473090
Not him, but that explains it.

I'd assume that you could probably copy the file(s) for the MIDI Mapper from 7 to 10, but I don't know.

This S-YXG50 is really nice though in foobar2000. Makes canyon.mid sound better than it ever did before.
>>
>>3473090
thanks dude...

damnit, i installed something for nothing...
>>
File: Windows 10 midi output selection.png (537KB, 1174x893px) Image search: [Google]
Windows 10 midi output selection.png
537KB, 1174x893px
>>3472087
>>3472932
>>3473090
>>3473173
>>3473198
You can accomplish it by editing the registry to point the default midi device to the DLL of the virtual device. I know it at least works for loopMIDI because that's how I rerouted MIDI out to a physical USB MIDI device.
You may be able to put the DLL for your virtual device into that spot in the registry as well. If that doesn't work, you'll need to use something like loopMIDI + something with MIDI THRU.
>>
You can also hook midiOutOpen() call and change its second parameter to a value different from 0.

This shouldn't be a problem even for unexperienced users.
>>
File: gashi.jpg (16KB, 215x195px) Image search: [Google]
gashi.jpg
16KB, 215x195px
>tfw GSXCC.sf2
>>
>>3467773
i am using virtual midi synth with fluidr3, what exactly is this? it wont fuck up my shit if i try it out will it?
>>
>>3467773
Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the fucking ass it is to change the midi driver on Windows 7?
>>
>>3473160
I was using a 8MB MT-32 soundfont named 8mbgm-emu MT32.sf2 before and I must say the MT-32 in your link really sounds different and mostly better. Though I admit the test samples on which I draw my opinion are MIDI versions of Majin Tensei music compared to OST arrangements and SNES originals. Honestly the new soundfont fits them perfectly.
>>
>>3474264
actually it's really easy with vstmidi driver
>>
>>3474368
Mt32 emulation is even better with actual mt32 games/music because of the effects and chabges to instruments it can do.
>>
>>3467773
Very interesting OP, used to use the win9x XG driver years ago.

>gets midi up and running in foobar
whoa what, theres fm renderers that have a load of different drivers from dos games? this too was a welcome surprise.
now im curious if people have replicated drivers from console and arcade games as well
>>
>>3474454
Seeing how Super Street Fighter 2 is on the list I think they did.
>>
Ok so the default MIDI wavetable that comes with Windows (Microsoft GS) is fake and sounds awful.

What MIDI wave table comes default with Mac OS?
Does it sound any good?
If not what soundfont should I replace it with and how do I install it?

What MIDI wave table comes default with Linux?
Does it sound any good?
If not what soundfont should I replace it with and how do I install it?
>>
>>3475625
>What MIDI wave table comes default with Mac OS?
Assuming you're playing the MIDI through Quicktime, it's the same low-quality SC55 patches thing that come with Windows except that Quicktime supports reverb allowing it sound better.

All that MSGS needed was Reverb and Chorus to make it sound okay.

>What MIDI wave table comes default with Linux?
Depending on your distro and/or app, either no MIDI out of the box or some implementation of TIMIDIY with the EAW patches (Which is only GM, no GS support). Last I checked TIMIDIY can use any Soundfont or (if you can find it) Ultrasound Patches of your choice but it requires lot's of CFG editing.
>>
>>3475625
>>3475817
>Ultrasound Patches of your choice but it requires lot's of CFG editing

The long configs are just for the GUS patches though. However, most patchsets come with either a timidity cfg or an ULTRASND.INI (ULTRAMIDI.INI?) file that is compatible as well.

Soundfonts in timidity are a one liner config:
soundfont "/path/to/soundfont.sf2"

In addition to Timidity, there is also FluidSynth, which I personally prefer. Eats less CPU time and imo sounds better. Supports SF2 and .DLS soundfonts, but not GUS patches.Timidity however you can tweak the hell out of, and even emulate specific MIDI hardware modules.

Either can be run as a daemon to provide MIDI support to any application.

>>3474454
>whoa what, theres fm renderers that have a load of different drivers from dos games? this too was a welcome surprise.
>now im curious if people have replicated drivers from console and arcade games as well

Check out GXSCC. It emulates the Konami SCC-1 (not to be confused with the Roland SCC-1) which was a custom FM chip on some cartridge games for the MSX computer.
>>
Thais have some beautiful sounding soundfonts for their karaoke software. Can't get them to work with GS though.
>>
>>3467773
Thanks, this is cool.
>>
Time for a bump.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.