[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I had, like, a thousand and five hundred dollars I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: cockroach.webm (129KB, 878x672px) Image search: [Google]
cockroach.webm
129KB, 878x672px
If I had, like, a thousand and five hundred dollars I'd like to hire /vr/ to translate Quiz Nanairo dreams.

Rather, I should ask. How much money is needed for translation projects like that?
>>
File: hero_pdt_quarter_pounder.png (84KB, 700x363px) Image search: [Google]
hero_pdt_quarter_pounder.png
84KB, 700x363px
>>3466629
I'll do it for a Quarter Pounder and a handy-j.
>>
>>3466629
Considering it's a dating sim, I assume it has a fair bit of text. Not full-length RPG level, but maybe 1/4 of that.

I reached out to a professional localization manager recently regarding a fan translation of Earth Seeker, a Wii RPG. While it's a bit different, he said the job would take around 5-7 thousand dollars. So figure that proportion.
>>
Didn't you see what happened on /a/? Even when people understand the questions they have trouble knowing the answers.

If people really want to play it they should learn the language, the culture and the history.
>>
>>3466790
Ooh, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info anon. I know what I'm saving up for.

>>3467110
There's always the option of just guessing your way through a lot of the problems. Or just flat-out replacing the questions with something else.
>>
>>3467152
So what's the point of a translation when you just ignore everything written?
>>
>>3467170
not everything. just the quiz questions. there's still story scenarios
>>
>>3467174
What makes them so remarkable compared to the countless other untranslated games?
It's not even famous Capcom characters.
>>
>>3467185
Saki is famous.
>>
Give me 50 bucks and I'll translate it
>>
Isn't this the game that had some nude scene?
>>
I might have my numbers wrong but I remember reading in Nintendo Power saying it cost about $20,000 to translate Earthbound but that may have been factoring in other stuff too. I just remember at the time thinking it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. If I won the lottery and had 500 million dollars I'd pay to have like every /vr/ game translated.
>>
From what I've seen of the game, the story segments are pretty brief because it's an arcade game, I'd probably charge somewhere around 500-750 bucks for all of them, but then you'd probably need an editor/romhacker to both rip all the text in the first place, and then insert it into the rom after the translation work was done.

I imagine someone could then just load up a list of "Who wants to be a millionaire" questions and just rote replace all the text, it'd be easy to do with a script as long as you had some way of finding the correct answer (which could be time consuming), and then you'd have a fully functioning game.
>>
>>3467269
A quick google shows the figure was about 50k, which is about 70k in today's money. A little on the pricey side, but they had multiple staff working to get the translation out faster.

Honestly, you'd probably have to pay a fair amount, or basically open your own company to get all the retro titles translated, often illegally. Or you could just hire a private tutor for a fraction of the money, or hire a live-in interpreter to voice act all your weeb games for you in Engrish.
>>
>>3467269
Aside from the translation, wasn't Earthbound's text a technical nightmare to work with?
>>
>>3467174
I wish I had a cute tiny girl in my life
>>
>>3467807
Seconding this. Earthbound was a nightmare mode example, but usually the reason games are still untranslated, despite readily available teenagers who speak japanese and haven't been jaded out of fan translation, is because the hacking involved is too difficult. Optimizing a game for japanese text can create character limits which make squeezing in english text impossible, and altering the game code to allow things like plurality checks can break the game. Even if you had the source code, there probably won't be any notes in it in order to save space.
>>
>>3468020
>despite readily available teenagers who speak japanese and haven't been jaded out of fan translation,
Most don't really speak it. They think they can learn Japanese by translating games and do others a favor along the way.
Most translations are full of simple errors due to that.
>>
>>3468067
What's particularly sad is that while 10 years ago, translating as a complete beginner was incredibly time consuming, these days it's a complete cinch to release some absolute crap you ran through Google and cleaned up slightly, and nobody is any the wiser.
>>
>>3468020
Doesn't help that Japanese code is a massive clusterfuck in general.
>>
>>3468086
And they make money with it because readers don't know or don't care.
>>
>>3468205
There's basically no money to be made off fan projects anyway. People like to point at the odd group making 500 dollars a month, but when you split that between half a dozen lazy members and paying off the chink scanners to sabotage everyone else, you're really not raking it in.

You can make far more money from legitimate work, as long as you're native English, and don't have delusions about getting into the awful localisation industry instead of actual respectable fields where they pay decent wages.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.