[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sprite editing question (I guess this is more /vr/ territory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: knight sprite sheet.png (130KB, 1981x280px) Image search: [Google]
knight sprite sheet.png
130KB, 1981x280px
Sprite editing question (I guess this is more /vr/ territory than /gd/)

Does anyone know how to edit this kind of sprite sheets? Basically, there's an enemy in the game that has 3 different colors (and you can see them to the left, given for reference). But the actual animations are all given in magenta color (to the right), to not make duplicates.

How am I supposed to restore the real colors? I tried using "rotate color" in gimp, it was more or less OK but made colors much brighter.
>>
>>3466309
The reason color shifting might not work, is because they probably palette swapped the sprite in-game.

You can use IrfanView to reduce the color depth and extract a custom palette from the variously colored knights, and then apply them to a color shifted copy. That might work. If you're lucky.
>>
>>3466386
Thanks for the suggestion. I assume there might exist a tool to quickly restore the original colors, but I see no references to such a thing anywhere.
>>
>>3466309
That's called palettising. Basically put, an area that gonna have different color variants is given a distinct color that never occures anywhere else on the sprite, usually bright pink, green or cyan.

In the game, a palette is applied, that repalces each shade of that color with whatever you want, keeping the shading in tact.

What you need to do is get an editing software and do the same thing - replace colors according to shading via select/replace color tool that is present in most editors. Note though,m that there is often a replacement threshold that makes the tool to replace not only the selected color, but also any similar color within threshold, so if you want a good result set that threshold to 0.

IDK if there's any automated tool to do that.
>>
>>3466309
Sure is 2010 in here.
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-indexed-palette-dialog.html
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html
Your knight had an indexed color pallet like virtually all vga and many 16bit sprites. The sprite sheet has a bunch of info but those various shades of magenta are there for being swapped out by the game to different colors. You don't do shot with rotating colors or replacing colors. Nah. Both these faggots are under 20 and don't know this shit.

Load your png as am indexed file, if it's not already, then edit the pallet and click on the magenta color, then change magenta to whatever you want. The sprite references the spot in the indexed palette for it's color, whatever that color is. Magenta , blue, red, whateve.
>>
>>3467256
I did convert it to indexed. But first of all, 256 colors is not enough for this image.

Second, even if I cut out only the magenta knight, I don't have just one shade of magenta. There are like 10–15 of them. Moreover: they don't have identical hues. They varies by +/-10 or so.

I found identical frames in different color schemes. But I can just copy palette from one sprite (pre-converted to indexed) and apply it to the other, for some reason this just doesn't work
>>
>>3467308
THis means that the sprite rip was done wrong. Go do it yourself, it's not hard with M&M6-8 where this sprite was obvioulsy taken from.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.