[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The comparisons to Castlevania are obvious, and we all know about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: demons-souls.jpg (558KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
demons-souls.jpg
558KB, 2560x1600px
The comparisons to Castlevania are obvious, and we all know about King's Field.

But what are some non-metroidvania and non-king's field retro games that have similar level design to the best Souls games?
>>
What do you mean with "similar level design"?
>>
Castlevania Bloodlines. Contra. Shadow Tower. Tomb Raider. Deathtrap Dungeon. The first Turok game. Gunstar Heroes Expert mode. Umihara Kawase. King Arthur's World. Immortal. Comix Zone.
>>
>>3464661
Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>3464685
Deathtrap Dungeon is the only one that fits the bill, and would well and truly benefit from a remake that worked on the Souls or even Dragons Dogma engine.
>>
>>3464715
I think you're being too literal
>>
>>3464715
Goddamn I would love to see that. I need to give that game another try.
>>
Shadowgate64 has a Souls-ish vibe from the first chunk I played.
>>
File: 1465528159365.jpg (70KB, 535x655px) Image search: [Google]
1465528159365.jpg
70KB, 535x655px
Oh look. It's one of these threads again.
>>
File: Demons n Goblins.jpg (208KB, 600x707px) Image search: [Google]
Demons n Goblins.jpg
208KB, 600x707px
>The comparisons to Castlevania are obvious

Not really.

I never really understood soulfags' fixation with Castlevania, the games are nothing alike.

If I had to make a (non-serious) comparison, I'd say it's more like ghost n goblins, at least the main character wears an armor, but really souls games are 3rd person action rpgs and castlevania (and GnG) are action-platformers.

There is no platforming in Souls. End of discussion.

Might as well say any video game ever is similar to Souls because reasons, like this faggot did >>3464685
>>
>>3465228
I'm not sure what armor and swords and magic has to do with the question he actually asked
>>
>>3464685
this is a certifiably stupid list of games. they have absolutely nothing in common with the souls series. contra? umihara kawase? fucks sake, king arthur's world is a goddamn strategy game...
>>
>>3465247

If it's about level design, there's a fundamental reason why Souls aren't like Castlevania: 2D =/= 3D.
The fact Souls games are not platformers is also a determinant factor about the difference in design philosophy.
It's like comparing Doom to Contra.
>>
Are you ready? Because this is the only real answer.

Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3464661
What comparison? The only strong comparison I can make is in tone and theme. Souls progression isn't linear like Classicvania and it isn't quite the same as Igavanias either. Sure, you can backtrack, but a majority of obstacles in the game are bypassed with player skill, made easier by leveling up. The only obstacle I can remember requiring an arbitray item/upgrade like a metroidvania was the Painted world in DS1 and Boreal Valley in DS3. Ironically, the combat is more similar to 2D classicvania than it is to the 3D games, considering those games somewhat punish you for spamming attack/jump by locking you into a lengthy animation or not letting you change the direction of a jump.
>>
>>3464661
Yaoming
>>
>>3465257
He's talking about level design as in the feel of the level from the art you autist, not the gameplay.
>>
>>3464685
what
>>
>>3465339
That's called atmosphere or style, you double nigger.
>>
>>3464661
Ultima Underworld.
>>
i would say zelda 2's level design is most like souls.

really, i feel like souls games are modern versions of zelda 2, they really share a LOT of similarities.
>>
>>3465339
>He's talking about level design as in the feel of the level

That's not what anyone else on earth means when they say level design. It's a pure gameplay term.
>>
File: IMG_20160831_104832.jpg (9KB, 192x173px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160831_104832.jpg
9KB, 192x173px
>>3465346
You are correct
>>
>>3464661
My only experience with Dark Souls was starting game and almost immediately having an off-screen boulder roll down some stairs and kill me. I can't think of any retro games that retarded.
>>
>>3465378
>off screen
You can straight up see it sitting at the top of the stairs with a Hollow. Naturally, it's meant to be hard to notice, but it isn't totally off screen bullshit.
>>
>>3465378

You can dodge that scrub-master
>>
>>3465378
The whole point of that boulder is to teach players that there will be traps in the game. And not sure exactly how it killed you, considering you shouldn't even be low on health at that section.
>>
>>3465389
>>3465410
I'm sure you can, otherwise the game would be impossible. It was just the combination of it coming from seemingly out of nowhere and then the giant YOU DIED! graphic that gave me a sense that's what the game as a whole was going for. Combined with it looking ass ugly I just never bothered to boot it up again. It was a free games with gold game anyways though so I don't really care about not giving it a fair shake.
>>
>>3465257
look at something like salt and sanctuary, its a 2d game with obvious similarities to dark souls. same with dark mouse.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (332KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
332KB, 1920x1080px
>>3465419
The whole thing is pretty much YOU DIED!: The Game. But the sense of accomplishment makes it worth it. Something retro gamers should understand.
Traps like those are rare.

>Combined with it looking ass ugly
You start off in a prison where the undead are sent to rot. It gets better. But the visual theme is that the world itself is decaying.
>>
File: som_scan_p03.jpg (50KB, 192x600px) Image search: [Google]
som_scan_p03.jpg
50KB, 192x600px
Hmm, a non-linear action-adventure/RPG. I wonder where I've played one of those before: Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, etc.

And Secret of Mana, that game was a real fucking downer.
>banished from village
>life energy being drained from the world
>monsters appear
>learn fun and unique mana arts
>upgrade weapons with boss orbs
>>
>stupidass dying simulator games on /vr/ with some flimsyass premise to make them on-topic which is immediately discarded just to discuss these retarded dying simulator games
Damn, /v/, stay on your own board.
>>
>>3465251
The games are all ones in which the player enters every situation already possessing the tools he needs to succeed, and needs to assess the placement and flow of challenges set against them with a rational mind before putting into practice some sort of strategy which must be executed with skill and precision in order to progress. The structure of the games are based on variations that both increase in the complexity of existing concepts and subvert the expectations of the player at times in order to form a dialogue between the player using the content of the game's levels and the player's own toolset used to challenge them.
>>
File: Wizardry4_1988_ad_zps2540bccc.jpg (89KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry4_1988_ad_zps2540bccc.jpg
89KB, 775x1024px
>>3465479
Dying simulator you say?
>>
>>3465453
Yeah, I knew all that going in. And I could tell from the look and what I knew of it that it very likely wasn't for me. But I've been a Monster Hunter superfan since the first game so Souls was one of those things everyone I knew kept telling me OHH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT.

But really, besides being tough and having big monsters the games aren't very much alike. So when it came for free I decided to at least download and try it out but that first five minutes was enough to let me know my instincts were probably right.

I'm sure it's a good game, and I'm sure in a vacuum with tons of free time I'd probably enjoy it if I got into it. But I have way more games than free time to play them so I only go back to stuff I really like.
>>
>>3465492
>The games are all ones in which the player enters every situation already possessing the tools he needs to succeed, and needs to assess the placement and flow of challenges set against them with a rational mind before putting into practice some sort of strategy which must be executed with skill and precision in order to progress. The structure of the games are based on variations that both increase in the complexity of existing concepts and subvert the expectations of the player at times in order to form a dialogue between the player using the content of the game's levels and the player's own toolset used to challenge them.

That all also applies to Super Mario Brothers, Gradius and thousands of other games.
>>
File: ny6gg22v5F1qarrk2o1_500.jpg (160KB, 384x750px) Image search: [Google]
ny6gg22v5F1qarrk2o1_500.jpg
160KB, 384x750px
>>3465453
How about the original?
>>
>>3465264
Dragon whatever land too, in 3.
>>
>>3464674
This. I can tell this is a bait thread because the most important question was the first reply and OP didn't answer.. There are tons of retro games that actively try to kill you every step of your journey.
>>
>>3465492
Stop posting.
>>
>>3465575
why tho
>>
>>3465550
it was a pretty open ended question in the first place
>>
>>3465651
Because it's a troll thread.
>>
>>3465658
yes I know
>>
>>3465492
This guy wins the daily autism award.
>>
>>3464661
Souls games are just Ocarina of Time with Castlevania-tier difficulty.
>>
>>3465378
>I can't think of any retro games that retarded.
OH BOY, I LOVE WHEN NEWFAGS COME TO /vr/
>>
File: 3 Ninjas Kick Back.jpg (41KB, 260x226px) Image search: [Google]
3 Ninjas Kick Back.jpg
41KB, 260x226px
>>3465378
>>
File: darksoulscombat.gif (2MB, 325x232px) Image search: [Google]
darksoulscombat.gif
2MB, 325x232px
>>3464661
>what is le Souls of retro times xDDD

Luckily, classic games are much better than that overhyped garbage that you kids obsess over these days.
>>
>>3465824

that gif is old but always get me
>>
>>3465814
>>3465821
0/10
>>
>>3465824
Yup.
Every.
Single.
Retro.
Game.
>>
>>3464661
Zelda 1
Ultima Underworld
Deathtrap dungeon
Excalibur 2155
Nightmare Creatures (very linear, though)
Die by the Sword
Tomb Raider 1 (and to a lesser degree, 2,3 and 4)

And more platform/aventure/puzzly and less action:

Soul Reaver
>>
>>3465949
Also have a look at
Asghan: Dragon Slayer
King's Quest VIII
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Rune (more hack and slash, but atmosphere is similar)
>>
File: 1472387372672.jpg (30KB, 582x329px) Image search: [Google]
1472387372672.jpg
30KB, 582x329px
>>3464661
>>3465949
>>3465952

Severance is an amazing game.
I would had Enclave
Shadow Tower AByss
Arx Fatalis
I understand the thematic comparisons with SOTN, the move sets the inventory, the backtracking but people take it a bit far sometimes. Souls games are simple retro.
>>
File: 1460957815910.png (344KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1460957815910.png
344KB, 1000x1412px
Shantae GBC
>>
>>3465378
> I can't think of any retro games that retarded

The entire game of Deathtrap Dungeon was like this.
Hell, the making of video was basically just Ian Livingstone telling you for seven minutes how much you're going to get fucked in the ass by it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34BsA2PE1qA
>>
>ctrl+v
no Vagrant Story
play Vagrant Story
>>
>>3465228
The comparison comes from the fact that they're both games taking place on a single, open-map with many sub-areas that are interconnected via looparounds & shortcuts that aren't immediately obvious.

Some also equate having to find keys to unlock some gates to open shortcuts/new locations in Souls games to metroidvanias often requiring you obtain abilities to reach new areas or pass through old ones quicker.

I personally think it's a pretty shallow comparison, but it is what it is.
>>
>>3465362
I'd agree with this.
>>
>>3465949
>Nightmare Creatures
How
>>
>>3466107
It's an e-celeb meme, ignore it, only youtubefags parrot it.
>>
>>3466021
This.
>>
>>3465453
I really tried to like secret of mana, but the party system just felt fucked to me. I got tired of watching my AI controlled teamates walk into death-traps when I explicitly tell them to stay back.

Ys games are great though. Oath in Felghana is very souls-like.
>>
>>3466169
>Oath in Felghana is very souls-like

The only thing it has in common with Souls is that you hit things with a sword and your character doesn't talk.
>>
>>3464685
wut?
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.