[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I pull the trigger on the gpd win pre-order to get the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: mndd6z1holidgexywwp3.jpg (42KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
mndd6z1holidgexywwp3.jpg
42KB, 620x465px
Should I pull the trigger on the gpd win pre-order to get the discounted price? Will it be everything it's promised to be? Will be I let down and forced to kms?
>>
>>3461996
>Should I pull the trigger

yes. rip.
>>
>buy 5 inch slate
>xbox 360 controller
>chatpad
>???
>Save $230
>>
>>3461996
Why is there an xbox key?
>>
>>3462123
Xinput center button.
>>
>>3462123
Presumably it imitates a wired 360 controller. I don't know of any Windows games that use the 360 button but maybe there are.
>>
>>3462127
retroarch can use it to open the menu, if you get windows and steam to stop hijacking it.
>>
how the fuck am i supposed to reach those analogue sticks
>>
>>3462140
Fuck that always pisses me off when steam tries to enter big picture mode with the xinput button. Screws up my emulation constantly.

Also, should I get a Surface tablet for MS-DOS and windows games? I know some modern games work well on them (I was playing EVE on a Surface Pro 3), but if it's stuck with Windows 8, I don't think I'll be able to play old games like X-COM or Baldur's Gate very well.
>>
>>3462149
There's a dll you can download that fixes that
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936083&page=2
The Windows 8 one also works on 10
>>
I saw a video recently of them running pcsx2 on it. It ran a bit slow but that was on the old z8500 ver. That would be a real feat. Maybe play! would run better.
>>
>>3462194
At the very least it will probably run the toaster-tier games like Disgaea and Katamari Damacy. Definitely won't be running Shadow of the Collosus or Dragon Quest VIII.
>>
>>3462197
It was arc the lad. Not sure how that ranks as far as difficulty to emulate goes.
>>
File: wibrain_b1h[1].jpg (31KB, 450x283px)
wibrain_b1h[1].jpg
31KB, 450x283px
>>3462149
I've fucked around with retro-compatible handheld PCs and basically they suck. Get familiar with DOSbox and virtual machines.
>>
>>3462214
I didn't think about installing a VM on a Surface, that'd probably work pretty well. I think I'll try that out.
>>
>>3462220
Yeah it doesn't take long to realize slates are PCs and get used to them. Between them and my MCPC if I open up a laptop it's out of the ordinary and it's literally been months since I've touched a mouse.
>>
>>3462046
>360 controller
>Portable device with intention of retro gaming

Nigga what.
>>
>>3461996
You should. A fool and his money and all that.
It will be nothing like you imagine it will be but it will be exactly the shitty spec they promise.
You'll be let down but you'll pretend it's great because you don't want to look like a fool for blowing so much on it.
Any more questions?
>>
The Surface 3 is great for emulation. It only has one USB slot, but you can get a hub that turns it into four for less than $10.
>>
>>3462542
Windows, Nigger.
>>
>>3461996
I'm buying one. Can't wait, looks like it'll be a black to play with. I'm also really looking forward to the Pyra.
>>
>>3463623
Yeah I think I've convinced myself to get one as well. I will wait for some reviews first. I love retro games but I have a huge steam library that I really need to dig in to soon. This should help to scratch both of those itches. Although I really can't see playing anything WASD based on here.
>>
>>3461996
>Use your current smartphone
>Buy NES30 Pro on aliexpress for $30
>Buy mobile battery bank for $30
There you go, you don't have to buy dumb bullshit now.
>>
>>3464592
My phone doesn't run win10 though so no steam or pcsx2/play!. And there's no way I'm lugging around a controller and battery pack as well. That's really not even comparable to this. Plus I'm always getting messages and calls and shit which is annoying mid game.
>>
A challenger appears. Not until March next year though. Can be used as a phone as well. Two screens instead of physical keyboard with the option of touch keyboard. Win10 and Android. Same SoC though.

http://pgslab.com/
>>
>>3463305
Basically this. Though the latest most highend Surface would still cost more than an undepowered indie console.
>>
>>3464789

This is a scam.
>>
>>3466054
You always say that.

Do you have any evidence?

And where is my rooster gif?
>>
>>3461996
For what purpose? I mean, unless you want to play pseudo-retro Windows games like AM2R or whatever.

A smartphone + moga + bluetooth keyboard can do basically anything /vr/ related that this thing can do.

A netbook could do anything this thing can't do.

It's a dumb product that answers questions no one has ever asked.
>>
>>3466360
This can do PCSX2 and probably Dolphin. Not /vr/, but it's something Android can't do atm.
>>
>>3464789
Agree with >>3466054

1) It is designed by russians.
As a russian myself, I can assure you, we aren't very good at designing tech.

2) They have no recorded hystory of making similar products

3) The tech specs they throw around are based on the moment where CPU reaches the burst speed (it can retain it for 20-30 sec max) at the holy blessed day when all stars align, while it has absolutely the same internals as GPD Win.

4) Screen resolution and additional screen gonna murder the battery life. Phone capabilities are going to murder it further.

>>3466360
I'm getting it as a substitute to my netbook, since I found that even device that compact still too cumbersome for me, and It will still have better specs at the same time. Ability to play games with built in controller is just a cherry on top.
>>
>>3464789
It's a scam
>>
File: 何.png (75KB, 400x300px)
何.png
75KB, 400x300px
>>3462214
Why would that matter?
Wouldn't you need an emulator anyway, you're not going to be running legacy games on fucking Windows 10.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.