[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's another USB NES http://www.usgamer.net/articl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

File: avs-open-nes.jpg (209KB, 1280x920px) Image search: [Google]
avs-open-nes.jpg
209KB, 1280x920px
>it's another USB NES

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retrousb-avs-review-the-all-purpose-modern-nes

What do you think, /vr/?
>>
File: diy-famicom-2.jpg (225KB, 1153x1600px) Image search: [Google]
diy-famicom-2.jpg
225KB, 1153x1600px
>>3461803
It's basically a DIY-Famicom-2, which has been available for years. I haven't seen its board but it wouldn't surprise me if it were literally the same.
>>
>>3461803
I think you should stop making these threads.
>>
>>3461841
Oh shit is this a shill thread? I should have just said something about my wife and maybe it needing wireless controllers like GenNex
>>
It's just a software emulation. You couldn't recreate the real hardware unless you had the schematics for the PPU and 2A01 or decapped them.
>>
>>3461852
Dendy had an extremely accurate PPU clone, but they probably decapped them or even got the schematics from Ricoh.

Supposing you did have them, I don't think you could recreate the NES chipset because they used the now obsolete NMOS process.
>>
>>3461874
There might be some chink sweatshop somewhere that does NMOS/HMOS.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (232KB, 1186x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
232KB, 1186x1600px
>>3461874
>>3461852
FPGA clones are definitely a full step above "emulator"
>>
>>3461886
Not really. It's all the same. If it's not real hardware it's the same level of faking it.
>>
>>3461962
Not really, FPGA is cycle accurate by definition.
>>
>>3462016
Yeah but it still sounds like garbage and doesn't look right.
>>
>>3462198
I really don't think you know as much as you want us to think you know about microprocessors.
>>
>>3461827
Pictures of the board are widely available and they are different
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (220KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
220KB, 1600x1200px
>>3462285
Hmmmm so I see. Well, if it really does sell for $185 I'll be interested to see what that hardcore reviewers have to say about it.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (151KB, 958x689px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
151KB, 958x689px
>>3461803
At first I thought it looked pretty good.
Then I saw pic related.
>>
>>3462324
Fuck. It's not a rectangle? Wonder if they are dodging a patent since to looks similar outside of that.
>>
>>3462324
>>3462341
Yeah, I really hated the rhombus design at first, but it's kind of grown on me. At it least it looks attractive from the front, which is how I'll be seeing it most of the time anyway. At least it's not as ugly as the top-loader.

What I think it's REALLY missing is simple: the red NES logo. I'm glad he left it blank, because as soon as my pre-order rolls in I'm going to slap the original logo on the front.
>>
>>3462308
Several reviews have already rolled in and they're pretty positive. It's not as sophisticated or capable as the Hi-Def mod (less video options, 720p only), but it's a very good plug-n-play solution.
>>
>>3461803

do normalfags still not know how to download a fucking emulator yet?
>>
>>3462618
Yes because people who spend a ton of money on an original NES cartridge and want to be able to play those carts on a modern TV will definitely be normalfags, even if the NES mini releases later this year when they will massively hop on that. Why even bother spending almost 200 bucks for this thing alone AND who knows how much exactly for other NES carts if you can play 30 of them on the on such a mini for only 60 bucks, 80 at max with an extra controller? Pretty sure that your "normalfag" wouldn't bother with this.

Besides, what's up with guys like you having to butt in about "MUH EMULATORS" in every god damn thread on this board anyway?
>>
>>3461803
Op, I ordered one. It's supposed to arrive mid to late Sept.
Honeslty, I do want to play my nes games in better clarity and I have over 70 carts. I thought about looking at an rgb kit or hdmi but for the price this is a better option.
I have owned my carts a long time and want to use them...so I don't emulate unless I want to try a new game.

We'll see if I get buyers remorse.
>>
>>3462324
>/ u /
I would love to trade my RGB Modded AV Famicom for this, i was planning to import this, but the shipping was like $60 to Europe, so i had to pass this one, unless there are European stores that are selling this.
>>
Since it is topic related, is the Analog NT good?
>>
>another fucking NES

goddamnit, we have enough chink nes around, it's probably the best console if you have carts but not yet a console, you can find a clone at every fucking corner. Will those faggots do a SNES, Genesis, Master System or N64 clone someday?
>>
>>3462816
It's as good as it gets but you could shell out for all the mods to a regular NES that it has integrated and still have budget for an N8 everdrive. The milled aluminum case is cool but not $200 cool especially considering it apparently shaves plastic off carts.
>>
>>3462618
Emulators have been normie since like 2002 pal
>>
>>3461874
Nah, they just bought them from the chinks.
The manufacturing process is irrelevant. Once you have the logic you can reproduce however you want.

>>3461886
>FPGA iz teh magic
Reading this and the rest of your posts leads me to only one conclusion. You're a tard.
>>
>>3463073
>Reading this and the rest of your posts leads me to only one conclusion. You're a tard.
So a FPGA version is on par with an emulator? Worse? Or maybe a half-press above?
>>
>>3461803
The only real flaw I can see is that it only outputs at 720p, if this had been released ten years ago I would have definitely bought one but today why would I buy this when I can just plug my laptop into my TV and enjoy NES games at perfect 4K resolution via an emulator?
>>
>>3462884
Anything above NES is much more complex, and I am pretty sure that N64/PS1 and above is so complex that modern FPGA chips don't have enough components inside to rebuild the same chip layout.
>>
>>3463083
He's projecting. Ignore him and just read up on FPGAs for yourself they're pretty neat, if not quite "teh magic"
>>
>>3463117
>why would I buy this when I can just plug my laptop into my TV and enjoy NES games at perfect 4K resolution via an emulator?
If you have to compare this to emulation, then it isn't for you.
>>
>>3463083
Take the lads advice and read up on FPGAs. You're just another clueless fool spewing maymays on teh intarwebs at this point.

>>3463624
Only projecting I do is DLP sport.
>>
>>3462976
So no hope for the Analogue Nt Mini?
>>
>>3462341

Ah yes, the famous "Make a cosole boxy"- patent.
>>
>>3462341
>patent
patents only last for 14 years...
The only reasonable consideration is trademarking, because they last as long as they are in use.

It's the reason why anyone can make a Mauser, but only Mauser can make a rifle marked/described as 'Original Mauser' and/or with the (read: a) Mauser logo.

Anyone can make a 1:1 identical copy of any retro hardware, they just can't use trademarked names or logos on the product or in advertising.
>>
Is this AVS better than that bullshit 500 dollar Analogue NT?
>>
>>3461803
This information isn't new, but you must be.
>>
>>3463807
The AVS seems to lack some of the fancier video features and stuff, but the NT is just so fucking expensive compared to the AVS
>>
>>3461803
Hol up, so is dis actually NES/Famicom hardware or is it Emu-lation?
>>
>>3463690
> Not CRT projecting
At least you're consistent on not giving a fuck about accuracy

>>3463698
It would be nice to be able to get an ANT without the aluminum case but the buzz has sort of died down now so I don't it'll ever be offered.

>>3463836
No, an ANT is real Famicom hardware harvested from real broken Famicoms partnered with the legit NESRGB PPU developed for years to keep all the Playchoice 10s from getting cannibalized.

>>3463868
It's an FPGA which is basically a new kind of microprocessor that can be configured electronically to physically reproduce the functions of other microprocessors.
>>
>>3463886
So AVS would be a good choice then to play NES and Famicom games. Think I'll get one then, thanks for the info.
>>
>>3463886
>No, an ANT is real Famicom hardware harvested from real broken Famicoms partnered with the legit NESRGB PPU developed for years to keep all the Playchoice 10s from getting cannibalized.
While that's true, it doesn't really have anything to do with my post. Also they're discontinuing the one with the famicom guts in favor of an FPGA.
>>
>>3463118
PS1 is emulated perfectly; there's no need to recreate that in an FPGA. As for N64, Rackable Systems would own the docs and schematics for the RPA.
>>
>>3463913
If the retail ends up being $185 like they announced, yeah I do think this thing is an okay deal for someone wanting to pay nes and famicom on hdtvs. The Chinese equivalent I posted earlier doesn't have hdmi, nes controller ports or a case but it's about the same price so yeah assuming there's no nasty surprises it seems like an acceptable purchase. The DIY-Famicom-2 has more vintage chips and a real crystal though. I'll leave it to the e-celebs to truly compare, though they probably won't even bother since relatively few people care about extreme accuracy.

>>3463914
Real hardware will be perfectly accurate so the ANT is better. Unless it goes FPGA then it'll probably be the same.
>>
>>3463949
>Real hardware will be perfectly accurate so the ANT is better. Unless it goes FPGA then it'll probably be the same.
Except they don't make the ones with real hardware anymore. The only thing they are offering now is the NT Mini which is FPGA based
>>
>>3463961
>Except they don't make the ones with real hardware anymore

They still have the schematics for the chipset in a file cabinet somewhere, no?
>>
>>3463949
>I'll leave it to the e-celebs to truly compare, though they probably won't even bother since relatively few people care about extreme accuracy

It's a bit less important for the NES since the PPU isn't that extensively explored. For stuff like a Commodore 64, it's a lot bigger deal to have complete accuracy.
>>
>>3463964
what is your point?
>>
>>3463978
They couldn't just make a new batch of chips instead of resorting to FPGAs?
>>
>>3463990
Not possible with the PPU since it used obsolete NMOS fabrication. The later Nintendo chipsets I guess used CMOS so those could be remade.
>>
>>3463990
That would likely be obscenely expensive. Besides, a properly configured FPGA is identical to the originals for all intents and purposes.
>>
>>3464001
But we just got done explaining that the SNES and up stuff is likely too complicated to recreate in an FPGA.
>>
we need fucking multiplayer mods for the n64 !!!!
>>
>>3464005
Holy shit dude, are you retarded? We're talking about NES chips and clone systems here.
>>
Ok. The NES chipset is very very very simple compared with the N64. I think more likely they just can't reproduce the stuff because nobody still does NMOS.
>>
>>3464015
and small production runs of obsolete 80's microprocessors are hella expensive
>>
>>3464024
The microprocessor in the NES was a 6502 derivative; 6502s are still made by WDC for the embedded market.
>>
>>3464030
Yeah but it also included the sound hardware on the chip. And then that doesn't cover the PPU which I'm convinced can't be recreated at all unless some chink sweatshop somewhere does NMOS/HMOS still.
>>
>>3462664

>people who spend a ton of money on an original NES cartridge

Exactly. Just download the rom for free. It's the exact same rom as the one on the cartridge. You are paying for a crappy grey plastic box and a board.
>>
>>3464039
But again, the PPU isn't that extensively explored so emulation doesn't necessary need to be 100% cycle accurate to run most NES games.
>>
>>3464030
>derivative
That's the problem. The 6502 may still be in production, but the ricoh 2a03 (the NES chip) isn't.
>>
What were the specific differences between the 2A03 and a normal 6502?
>>
>>3464051
2A03 lacks the decimal mode and it also doesn't have illegal opcodes. Otherwise, the main relevant difference is that it also incorporates the sound hardware on the chip.
>>
>>3464051
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricoh_2A03
>>
Dendy made a very accurate PPU clone fwiw.
>>
>>3463886
At least you're consistent about being an ignorant baby. What kind of mutant monstrosities do you print with your CRT projector sport?

>>3464024
Spotted the underage. Well one of them. Like finding a grain of sand at the beach ITT.
>>
>>3464087
Yes but I think they did use NMOS fabrication. That was in the 90s however and nobody still does it.
>>
>>3464009
what, like an ethernet port?
That wouldn't do shit.
>>
>>3464170
Yes it would. You would flash data to the port about how to connect multiplayer of each game online.
So you could pop in Smash and then literally just play multiplayer and automatically connect as if other players were plugged in.
>>
So if I want to play this console on an HDTV, and use the famicom disc system, can I do it?

Also, is this basically an actual console? Or is it a clone/fake?
>>
>>3462618
What normal fag is going to want to play NES games?
>>
>>3464176
>So if I want to play this console on an HDTV, and use the famicom disc system, can I do it?
yes
>>
Oh look another fucking thing for millenials to jump aboard on and continue to ruin the hobby with dumbass prices because they think they need all the megamans, contra, final fantasy, and a slew of "rare" games that they then realize they're shit at and don't have the time to git gud so they sit it on the shelf and talk about it with all their buddies for retro cred.
>>
>>3464203
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>3464203
you're an idiot
>>
>>3464448
He's also projecting hardcore.
>>
File: All part of a healthy breakfast.png (236KB, 1137x1068px) Image search: [Google]
All part of a healthy breakfast.png
236KB, 1137x1068px
>>3464203
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NORMIES GET OUT OF MY HOBBY
screamed the autist. A passerby quietly called his caretaker to bring him back home to mummy for chicken tendies and gbp
>>
>>3464203
Shelf collecting has been a thing since books and records.
>>
>>3464176
>So if I want to play this console on an HDTV, and use the famicom disc system, can I do it?

Yes, FDS works fine. The RAM Adapter just barely fits in it, though. You have to bend the cable a lot to reach the FDS drive.

I'd recommend getting one of these instead of using the actual disk drive: http://famicom.tech/. You can just stuff this into the cart slot behind the RAM Adapter so you don't bend the cable too much. It's more reliable than the actual disk drive, anyway.

>Also, is this basically an actual console? Or is it a clone/fake?

It's a clone. But rather than trying to reproduce the original CPU/PPU or use an SoC like most Chinese famiclones, it uses FPGAs to replicate the CPU/PPU. It appears to have pretty much perfect accuracy so far, but it can be updated via USB if any problems arise.
>>
>>3464463
That was really fucking stupid.
I bet that person thinks hes edgy or hilarious or epic or some shit.

ROACHES HURR OH MY GOD GROSS

What a fucking retard. I want to find the people who write this and think they're clever or funny and fucking break their noses.
>>
>>3464203
Its actually those who grew up with it, sold it off, and want it back. They're the ones who are willing to pay through the nose and live by the "buy it now" button.
>>
>>3464479
The reeses puffs meme was a thing back before there was greentext stories and when we had motivationals. This is some OG 4chan shit you're making fun of you little bitch
>>
>>3464505
I remember the meme. That's what made me madder when I read it at the bottom, you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>3464478
I dunno how I feel about clones. I like original hardware, even if it's modified.
>>
>>3464510
Best option for real hardware is the "Hi-Def" mod. Goes up to 1080p with a few extra video options too, so it's even better than the AVS.
>>
>>3464531
Link?
>>
>>3464203
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3464531
Best option for real hardware is NESRGB + XRGB-3
>>
>>3464541
http://retrorgb.com/hidefnes.html

>>3464554
If the desired end result is HDMI, then no, the Hi-Def mod is superior. Directly transcoding the PPU's digital signal to HDMI results in a cleaner and faster image than running an analog signal through a scaler. For any other console the RGB+scaler route would be best, but NES has its own HDMI mod that bypasses the middleman.
>>
File: avs-front-closed.jpg (406KB, 1280x720px)
avs-front-closed.jpg
406KB, 1280x720px
>>3461803
Something was bugging me about this thing's design, and I think I figured out what it is. It just needed a little more red.
>>
>>3464562
It's not like pixels really look that different. As long as the video source is pretty clear, pixels are pixels.

3D games, however...
>>
File: nes-classic-edition.png (58KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
nes-classic-edition.png
58KB, 640x443px
>>3464569
If you want the red you'll get it in November.
>>
>>3464617
gross
>>
If you're changing the design of the nes why the duck would you make it a front loader?
>>
>>3464694
Probably to keep it at a lower profile. NES carts are stupid tall, and it's all because of the original side-loading design. So it makes sense to use a side-loading design if you want to keep the height down.
>>
>>3464569
It's so creepy and unnatural looking.
>>
File: ggindex.jpg (54KB, 607x483px) Image search: [Google]
ggindex.jpg
54KB, 607x483px
>>3464784
YOU, sir, are creepy and unnatural looking.
>>
>>3464554
Vp30 w abt102 is faster.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (38KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
>>3462605
> rhombus
>>
>>3461803
Why would you bring this beauty as a subject of discussion to this cesspool of elitists and ignorants? You ordered yours already, does it matter what the people here have to say about it? Now more retards are aware of it, not to mention those who'll trash it because "not muh original hardware"

The man behind this is a true NES fan, it caters to all your greatest needs, with some neat extra features. This is the next best thing after Kevtris' RGB mod.
>>
>>3465310
I get it, Anon. I get it.
>>
>>3464569
Honestly that improves it a lot. Probably why it's left blank in the first place.
>>
>>3465632
lol I agree now I want one
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.