[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did Ganondorf's supposed surname Dragmire come from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

Where did Ganondorf's supposed surname Dragmire come from? It's something I've always heard but I don't believe was ever listed in any official source.
>>
File: ALTTP manual pg 5-6.png (2MB, 1206x872px) Image search: [Google]
ALTTP manual pg 5-6.png
2MB, 1206x872px
Just above where it says "The Imprisoning War" in big letters.
>>
>>3461335
Is the games manual unofficial now or something?
>>
>>3461360
To an extent. His surname has never been referenced in any other work, so it may have been a fabrication by the localization team.
>>
>>3461351
>ガノンドロフのフルネームは、海外版の神々のトライフォースに付属していたガイドブックによると、ガノンドロフ・ドラグマイア(Ganondorf Dragmire)で、別名「魅惑の盗賊、ガノン」を意味する、マンドラグ ガノン(Mandrag Ganon)。

Looks like it was something that was cooked up for the US version, since it specifically mentions the names being used in the "overseas" edition of the game.
>>
File: U WOT M8.jpg (53KB, 732x729px) Image search: [Google]
U WOT M8.jpg
53KB, 732x729px
>>3461351
The strangest thing about it isn't even that it's all bullshit made up by NoA, but that they had the audacity to make up TWO names.

Like Bill and Dan got in an argument over whose fanon name should use for Ganondorf's last name, so they settled for doing both.

Hot damn, that makes my blood boil.
>>
>>3461542
Ellaborate
>>
>>3462152
On what?

I'm saying that in the process of translating it, the guys in charge at the time (Bill Trinen and Dan Olsen), both must have wanted to come up with their own OC DONUT STEEL name for the villain of the lauded Zelda series. But they couldn't agree on Mandrag or Dragmire so they did both. They're both right there in the manual.
>>
And that's why every vr shit should be retranslated.
Please get rid of Mandrag Ganon and Castlevania, give me just Ganon and Demoncastle Dracula
>>
>>3461335
i think the cartoon
>>
>>3461485
>Man Drag Ganon

And that explains Yuga
>>
>>3461360
Give op a break, hes an underageb& that only played zelda games after hearing about them on yotube
>>
>>3462513
Castlevania sounds cool though
>>
>>3465313
>Only heard Zelda because of YouTube
What? Not even OP but everybody knows what Zelda is. What kind of third world shit hole are you from?
>>
File: question mark girl.png (189KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
question mark girl.png
189KB, 500x500px
If you think about it, it's unlikely that Gerudo would even have last names at all, due to lacking a traditional family structure. Their whole entire race is basically one big extended family.
>>
>>3465369
I always found it weird, the whole one male per generation deal. It's basically a harem race, with some /ss/ implied by a gaggle of tall fuckless warrior women raising a strong-willed boy.
>>
>>3465372
>fuckless
One of the gossip stones say that the gerudo women capture hylian men as boyfriends.
>>
File: robocop oh shit.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
robocop oh shit.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
>>3465376
I never did check all those stones for what they said, damn. At least their population can be kept up despite 99/100 births being girls in the tribe.
>>
>>3465313
how in the FUCK did you come to that conclusion
>>
>>3465380
They probably have a high mortality rate though, since they're a warrior race and they live in a desert. They have to breed like crazy just to keep their population static (R-type reproduction).
>>
File: sweat2.jpg (29KB, 277x252px) Image search: [Google]
sweat2.jpg
29KB, 277x252px
>>3465392
As I kid I always felt bad killing/KOing the guards in the Gerudo jail, but you're probably right about them breeding like rabbits.
goddamn Gerudos
>>
>>3465387
Its called trolling, and it looks like i got a bite.
>>
>>3465369
Fun fact: Gerudo are actually spelled Geldo on the Gerudo script page of Hyrule Historia. Which actually makes more sense, since then they share the root word Geld- with enemies such as Geldarm and Geldman, both desert enemies.
>>
>>3465502
Woah, I never would have made that connection. "Geldo" must be Hylian for desert or something.

Maybe "alfos" is Hylian for warrior. As in stalfos, lizalfos, dinolfos, etc.
>>
ITT
>>
>>3465541
Nerds? On a retro games board? You don't say!
>>
>>3462513
Nintendo never mentions it so it's been quietly retconned.
>>
File: RetroArch-0831-205041.png (88KB, 1172x896px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0831-205041.png
88KB, 1172x896px
>>3465535
You have a lot of those in Zelda. Stal for example is anything skeletal (stalfos, stalchild, stallord etc) and blin is used for goblin-like monsters (moblin, bokoblin, miniblin, bulblin). You can definitely tell someone on the dev team had a thing for languages, making up rootwords for different concepts in the gameworld. Too bad they never went far enough to go with an actual pseudolanguage and instead settled for kana and letter replacement instead.
>>
>>3465502
>Gerudo are actually spelled Geldo on the Gerudo script page of Hyrule Historia

Well, in japanese it makes sense like this too.

no r/l distinction, and japanese subs the -u syllable for isolated consonants (-u fades out, as in desu, which is said "des") in most cases, so geldo is spelled ge-ru-do.

Geldarm and Geldman in japanese both render with "gerudo" in their name (ge-ru-do-aa-mu; geldarm and ge-ru-do-ma-n; geldman).
>>
>>3461335
100% NoA localization addition.

>>3462513
>Demoncastle Dracula

Akumajou Dracula is a word that, imo, should be localized.

If you render it to sound cool, it ends up sounding like some nonsense anime title (Demon Castle Dracula). If you keep the meaning and correct the grammar, you end up with a dump and long title (Dracula's demon castle/Dracula's hell house).

Castlevania works, imo, because it doesn't sound like retarded nip anime shit, and it introduces a catchy name for a franchise that's easily recognized.
>>
>>3461360
A lot of the Zelda games have no direct connection with each other aside from characters, places, and objects. People will try to shoe horn them together, but inconsistencies imply it's a different story altogether.

There are things from Majoras Mask that contradict things from OoT. And same with LttP. As far as I see it, the only thing canon is Zelda is the princess of hyrule, Ganon is a wizard/magician who wants to take over for selfish reasons, and and link is the kokiri boy who tries to do what he thinks is right.
>>
>>3466809
>There are things from Majoras Mask that contradict things from OoT. And same with LttP.
What sort of things do you have in mind that contradict each other?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.