[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did they ever make a bad game (retro period)? Not one that is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: Rareware.jpg (22KB, 233x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rareware.jpg
22KB, 233x300px
Did they ever make a bad game (retro period)? Not one that is mediocre but just terrible?
>>
File: taboo-the-sixth-sense-usa-rev-a.png (270KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
taboo-the-sixth-sense-usa-rev-a.png
270KB, 360x500px
>>
All their Spectrum games.
>>
>>3459823
I remember playing this when I was 10 or 11. This game really creeped me out back then because of the creepy music.
>>
You can make an argument for dk64
>>
Arguably a lot of them if collecting shit or playing for ~the real ending~ triggers your OCD
>>
Anticipation, I guess.
>>
>>3460147
I can't believe Rare made Anticipation. That was one of my favorite NES games growing up.
>>
Donkey kong 64 is legitimately a terrible game.
>>
Donkey Kong Country 1
Every Donkey Kong Land
Conker GBC
Donkey Kong 64
Arguably Banjo Tooie

There, I said it
>>
Mickey's Speedway USA
>>
they made stuff under LJN
>>
Rare was pretty much a shovelware developer back on the NES before they got their act together.

A lot of bad games that get attributed to "LJN" were actually developed by them.
>>
>talking about Rare "good graphics zero substance" Ware
>literally the definition on modern vidya

Sorry OP but we are on /vr/
>>
I hope nobody here thinks Battletoads was bad.
>>
>>3460848
Battletoads Arcade was okay.

If you meant the NES game, it's dogshit.
>>
>>3459845
>argument
dk64 is horrible, collect-a-thon done terribly wrong

even if you ignore all the spectrum crap and the LJN games, DK64 and Jet Force Gemini are enough to prove Rare were talentless hacks with ungodly luck

Yeah, i called Jet Force Gemini crap. Because it is. Replay it instead of relying on nostalgia googles and you will agree with me.
>>
>>3460878
>shitting on JFG
OH NO YOU FUCKING DIDNT NIGGER YOU BEST TAKE THAT BACK
>>
>>3460878
You're a fool.
>>
>>3460872
You're dogshit.
Just because the game is hard doesn't mean it's bad. It was an amazing variety of combat, obstacle courses, gameplay mechanics, themes and areas and a technological achievement on the system. You probably played it on Nesticle or some shit to come to that conclusion.
>>
I had one called "Conker's Bad Fur Day"

it was from around the time that South Park was getting popular, and this game was trying hard to cash in on "raunchy" humor

first off, the humor was godawful. conker and every other character's voice was annoying and goofy. none of the jokes were funny

but the gameplay was even worse. the game is almost unplayably hard. there are cheat codes, so if you want to see all the different levels, you can.

I gave my copy away some years ago. I certainly was never going to play the game again.
>>
>>3460892
It's got bad hitboxes, horrible 2-player, and schizophrenic game design in that it can't decide whether it's a beat 'em up or platformer or racer. Also all the bosses can be easily cheesed by getting them stuck in a loop.

SHIT. GAME.
>>
>>3460912
>bad hitboxes
Nesticle emulator user confirmed.
The game's hitboxes were shifted completely wrong as an emulation bug. Also having a wide variety of gameplay was its strength, if you disliked it for that you were just trying to force it into a box it doesn't fit in and again, it's your fault not the game's.
>>
File: 1448757753275.jpg (109KB, 428x325px) Image search: [Google]
1448757753275.jpg
109KB, 428x325px
>>3460907
>>
>>3460878
I replayed JFG a year ago. It's not up to the standard of a modern shooter, no. No shooter the N64 controller would be. But it's still fun. Mostly because a lot of the game was about exploring and finding secrets. That and the neat sci-fi visual style both hold up decently.
>he doesn't like blowing up ants in an orgy of green and blue blood using the tri-rocket launcher
>>
>>3460912
You have mental problems and don't know shit about vidya.
>>
>>3461693
Maybe, but at least I don't like shit games like Battletoads.
>>
Any 3D game
>>
>>3459819
all of their games are bad
>>
>>3461721
Including pseudo-3d like captain skyhawk?
>>
starfox adventure and everything since
>>
File: 2219621-nes_battletoads.jpg (443KB, 701x960px) Image search: [Google]
2219621-nes_battletoads.jpg
443KB, 701x960px
>>
>Sabre Wulf was Ultimate (Rare)'s first game to use what would become the company's standard price and mysterious, unadorned packaging. Ultimate nearly doubled its usual retail price in what they saw as a "bold step" to combat piracy. They expected legal owners to be more protective over letting friends copy their more expensive copies.

>The company's game packaging was nondescript and showed no screenshots of the in-game world. Ultimate's games did not display internal credits.

>They had already prepared Knight Lore, the third game in the Sabreman series, before the character's introduction in Sabre Wulf. Ultimate founders Tim and Chris Stamper withheld Knight Lore for about a year because they felt Sabre Wulf would not have sold as well once players saw the former's graphical advancements.

They're complete shitheads and they only have their good reputation now because Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore are forgotten games.
>>
Battletoads was a great game. Stop being a pussy. But a truly horrible retro game would be
Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hide.
>>
>>3461892
The Mega Drive version was good, but I agree that the NES version sucked.
>>
>>3460350
>Donkey Kong Country 1
stop listening right there ur opinion is obviously invalid, this is one of the best platformers of all time
>>
>>3460379
This was definitely a bad game.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.