/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is the best version of Link's Awakening? I sometimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 18

File: ZeldaLA-DX_comparison.png (9KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaLA-DX_comparison.png
9KB, 160x144px
Which is the best version of Link's Awakening? I sometimes read the colors aren't that good and ruins the atmosphere of the original game
>>
If link's sprite in LA was a stick figure and got changed to a normal looking link in LA DX I am sure there would be people saying the original sprite had more charm or some bs.

There is a such thing as real improvements, not the George Lucas style additions, but genuine improvements.

I feel DX is superior to LA in every way. Or.. Perhaps they should release all zelda games in black and white to add "charm" that apparently gets lost when there is color.
>>
>>3455903
>black and white
green and green ... and green and green
>>
>>3455903
>an additional dungeon, color, pictures
Hell of an improvement. Anyway, enjoy unskippable text for every guardian acorn and piece of power. You can b out of that shit immediately in the original cart.
>>
File: Links-Awakening-1.jpg (155KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
Links-Awakening-1.jpg
155KB, 640x576px
DX is a good revamp, it added new content, but I thought the colors weren't necessarily a good addition. I think LA looks better in monochrome (plus it adds to the dreamy atmosphere)
>>
>>3455965
you dream in low resolution green? Also, spoilers.
>>
>>3455970

It's a common resource in film making that dreams are presented in black and white, sepia, etc. Same with memories.
>>
>>3455972
that would be a good decision against monochrome, as that's a twist late in the game. It's also a retarded trope, another good reason to not do it
>>
>>3455975

Meh, I like it.
>>
>>3455978
that's fair. The post tried to paint it as some inherently superior and almost necessary thing though, which is bullshit
>>
I like the colors, but the added dungeon is not one of the reason I'd recommend playing the DX version.

It's fucking shit, probably the worst Zelda dungeon I've played.
>>
>>3455986
>It's fucking shit, probably the worst Zelda dungeon I've played
why?
>>
File: MapadeCaracolasLinksAwakening.png (3MB, 1212x877px) Image search: [Google]
MapadeCaracolasLinksAwakening.png
3MB, 1212x877px
>>3455896
needs a fresh coat of paint
>>
>>3455965
This just in: literally every non-colour GB game is set in a dream world.
>>
>>3455993
The inverse of an implication does not hold
>>
>>3455998
Apparently monochrome green = dreaminess.
>>
>>3456003
the suggestion was
dreamy -> monochrome
the inverse would be
monochrome -> dreamy
inverse of an implication does not hold though, only the inverse of a biconditional does, but none was stated.
>>
>>3455989
Because it's simplistic and dumb as fuck. It's like it was designed in one day by a toddler for toddlers.
>>
>>3456016
more simplistic than the first dungeon?
>>
>>3456019
Yes
>>
>>3455896
http://vocaroo.com/i/s176eUHmg6mV
>>
>>3455970
>>3455993
Forty keks

As someone who has only played DX, I can't say either way. But I think you can't go wrong with one of the best Zelda titles, period.

Fuck, I'm just thinking back to all these great Game Boy games- Nintendo didn't skimp on that handheld, for sure.
>>
>>3455896
I grew up with the green one. Dunno why you wouldn't play with colour given the choice.
>>
>>3456405
different look (preference, nostalgia) and altered mechanics
>>
>>3456425
>altered mechanics
what was altered? i played through the colour version three years ago and didnt notice anything different mechanically
>>
>>3456434
>what was altered?
introduction of the colored tunics, introduction of the photographs, I think, and someone up there mentioned unskippable text. You could argue it's minor shit, and I'd completely agree with you. I could understand people though that want none of it.
>>
>>3455906
If you wan't to be techincal, it's
00, 01, 10, and 11.

The color depends on what screen is displaying it, or what color pallet is being used on the GBC.
>>
>>3456443
>and someone up there mentioned unskippable text
eh, the unskippable text was in the original, too. did you not play the original?
>>
>>3456473
>did you not play the original?
No, I did not. That's why I referenced the anon, I have no idea what the original version is like
>>
I can't remember but isn't the seagull ending DX only? If Marin is your waifu that might give it an edge.
>>
>>3455972
Dream sequences and flashbacks are a telltale sign of bad screen-writing along with voice overs and title card screens uses solely to set up time skips and geographic locations.

It's especially bad when the director has to make the scene black & white/sepia just to effectively communicate to the audience that it's a dream/flashback just to avoid confusing them.
>>
>>3456494
the original has winged marin in the credits instead
>>
>>3455896
Color has an extra dungeon, so I would go with that one. I think it fixed some bugs too, but I am not sure.
>>
>>3456513
would you still say so, if, as some people on here mentioned, the new dungeon is kind of lackluster, and its rewards fundamentally alters the game, and having it means also having to deal with all the other changes?
>>
>>3456526
If you don't like the new dungeon or the tunics, then why don't you just skip them then?
>>
>>3456652
I'm indifferent on the dungeon. Anon at >>3456513
said the DX version has the extra dungeon, as a good thing. I merely asked about their position on the other changes. Like, if the extra dungeon makes up for other changes they consider problematic, or if the other changes are good enough on their own, so they'd recommend DX even if you don't want to do the dungeon. You know, making conversation, without trying to win an argument. Strange concept, isn't it?
>>
>>3455965
Those faggots don't get you but I get you bro, they won't know the feel of owning a gameboy and playing this as babbies literal first arpg.
>>
>>3456652
>not 100%ing a Zelda game
>neck spasm
>>
I had Link's Awakening DX and thought it was great.

Probably the only Gameboy game I spent anywhere near as much time on as I spent on Pokemon.
>>
>>3456669
How was I arguing with you? Stop being so defensive
>>
>>3456498
Wow you really suck dicks
>>
>>3455896
Link's Awakening DX

Color
New GBC-exclusive dungeon called the Color Dungeon added
Red Tunic (Offense) and Blue Tunic (Defense) added
The Photographer, Camera Shop and photography sidequest added
More detail and better graphics
Super GameBoy Border added
The Start menu has been modified to show the different color tunics, if Select is pressed.
Typos fixed
Improved title screen and secret ending
>>
>>3455896
The original. It wasn't designed in colour, so slapping colours over it a few years later just made it look shit, doesn't help that the palette is awful.
>>
>>3455896
DX kinda looks like an amateur fan mod. The new dungeon is crap too.
>>
>>3455896

I prefer the original because of the map warp glitch. It's really fun to warp around the game and seeing how everything fits together. Never had more fun in a Zelda game, honestly.
>>
>>3457053
>It wasn't designed in colour
>colour
DX looks a million times better than the original.

>slapping colours over it a few years later just made it look shit, doesn't help that the palette is awful.
What's it like being blind

>>3457056
>DX kinda looks like an amateur fan mod.
A mod that ends up being better.

>The new dungeon is crap too.
But that's wrong.
>>
For the most part I feel DX is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. It's not worse but it's hard to say it's specifically better.
The exception is the Mysterious Woods--that full-screen darkening effect in that area is effective at setting it apart from the other areas.
>>
Best version is Link's Awakening, played in the original 4-shades-of-green.

The DMG display has that bad motion blur though, so I'm sort of agnostic as to original hardware vs emulator for this one.
>>
>>3455903
>There is a such thing as real improvements

Some improvements aren't always better though
>>
File: 4459353701_826a3c120d.jpg (126KB, 489x400px) Image search: [Google]
4459353701_826a3c120d.jpg
126KB, 489x400px
>>3457191
>improvements aren't always better though
>>
File: 1441237810484.jpg (26KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
1441237810484.jpg
26KB, 698x672px
>>3457191
Please, look into buying a dictionary.
>>
>>3457106
Thanks for correcting the record

It's a mediocre attempt at an improvement, not much better or worse

For a first play it honestly doesn't matter all that much, the alleged improvements are mostly pointless but not necessarily all that bad
>>
I much prefer the original. the additional "dungeon" is mediocre and not even worthy of being considered a dungeon
>>
>>3457267
>full GBC color palette, akin to Yellow versus Red/Blue
>additional sidequest and dungeon
>new items
>improved visuals
>fixed typos
>mediocre attempt

>>3457291
>sour grapes the post
>>
>>3457350
No see, it's bad because it's not original.
It was flawless at first, everything else is pointless.
Nope, taking pictures and a bonus dungeons can't be fun. Nope, it actually takes away from the experience.
And colour?! Green and green wasn't a limitation, it was intended that way! Broccoli atmosphere.

So, like, eat shit for being rational.
>>
>>3455970
Apparently, it's not uncommon for people to dream in black-and-white instead of color (in particular, people who watched black-and-white TV as kids did so more often than those who grew up with either color TV or no TV at all).
>>
>>3457061
this

the select glitch is the real reason to play the original over DX.
>>
>>3457350
>sour grapes the post

what exactly is sour grapes about preferring one version over the other?

>>3457363

you seem upset
>>
>>3457363
Even though you're being sarcastic, the bonus dungeon sucks and the pictures don't fit at all.
>>
File: 4442253235.jpg (65KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
4442253235.jpg
65KB, 774x1032px
>>3456450
>he knows how GB graphics are stored

Mmm, that's pretty sexy, sir.
>>
>>3457442
>the bonus dungeon sucks
It doesn't suck though.

>>3457382
It's great for speedruns and sequence breaking.
>>
>>3455903
Greyscale is just a stylistic choice.
If you do a shitty colorization of good B&W source material, it will be shittier.
>>
>>3457541
GBC Shantae? That's rare
>>
>>3455896
Dx is best only poser children think otherwise
>>
>>3457026
What are you? 12?

You do know you have to be 18 to post here, right?
>>
>>3457736
but he's right. you do suck dicks. what has his age got to do with that?
>>
>>3458183
Besides Jerome, what's up your ass? Is there any reasonable answer to being so assblasted over a comment that has zero to do with video games to begin with? Hurry up and run back to the playground already and stop shitposting
>>
Know what would've been better than that color dungeon? Turning off the fucking power acorn text.
>>
>>3458286
stay BTFO and upset, anti-flashback anon
>>
>>3457191
>some improvements aren't always better though

Jesus man, I get what you mean and sorry, but that sounded retarded.

Well intended improvements that are pulled off wrong aren't actually improvements but fuck ups, they're not a betterment but misguided actions, for lack of a better term.

I guess you could say that improvements are a thing of perspective and ergo relative if you want to get technical about it, an improvement on a game mechanic to you could be a huge dick move for me and I can highly dislike it, but that's what happens when I know your taste is shit, and you think everything added is an improvement, and others know what an actual "improvement" worthy of the word is. Git Gud
>>
I liked DX a lot although the map opening glitch made the original way more fun (lv 0 shield, keeping marin walking around with you for the whole game, etc.)

although the kennel glitch is in both

and let's be honest the color dungeon was mediocre

that being said taking pictures was comfy af and having an extra dungeon definitely wasn't a bad thing
>>
>>3455903
>durr, this game that takes place in a dream is much better when the dream-like black&white coloring is gone
Spoken like a true casual.
>>
>>3459562
>dream-like black&white coloring is gone
>implying the black and white was a choice
>implying black and white is dream-like
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>3459216
The Map Select glitch is the only reason to play the original version.

If you want the original intended experience, it also needs to be the Japanese version too.
>>
File: worthless.png (7KB, 468x286px) Image search: [Google]
worthless.png
7KB, 468x286px
>>3459572
>lel, the limitations of the gameboy leading to incidentally better aesthetics doesn't count
>implying anyone thinks this was because of choice
>not having seen any game, movie or television show that uses black&white in flashbacks or dream sequences
>>
File: kill yourself.jpg (136KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.jpg
136KB, 1200x1200px
>>3459638
>incidentally better aesthetics doesn't count
Hahaha, your comedy is gold. The monochromatic palette is monotonous and objectively inferior to the updated GBC palette.
>>
File: beaver fsntng.jpg (27KB, 322x377px) Image search: [Google]
beaver fsntng.jpg
27KB, 322x377px
Here's a crazy idea I just had.

What if, we just play whichever version we prefer, and not try to force our opinions on everyone else?
>>
>>3459649
>can't actually refute argument, so instead makes broad statements instead of actually responding
>ignores the rest of the post
Concession accepted.
>>
File: 1405717734704.jpg (15KB, 175x231px) Image search: [Google]
1405717734704.jpg
15KB, 175x231px
>>3459713
Here's a crazy idea I just had.

What if, we stay anonymous fuck off tripfag.
>>
>>3459758
Both of you faggots suck at arguing.
>>
>>3459758
I did respond. You're just too retarded to realize it.

>>3459860
And you don't?
>>
>>3459638
>not having seen any game, movie or television show that uses black&white in flashbacks or dream sequences
That's irrelevant. There are no standards or set aesthetic for dreams or flashback sequences. Pretty much all *real* dreams and flashbacks are seen in color, unless you're colorblind or consciously choosing to dream/remember in black and white.
>>
I for one prefer the 2bit color version, as I find this game to have grown iconic and the color is not that great. Were it a complete reboot that gave it deeper color, I would probably go for color. But GBC is kind of a middle ground that I personally don't like, similar to how some games were moved into 3D prematurely.
>>
>>3459913
The GameBoy and GameBoy Color are both 8-bit. The color isn't as good as the Oracle games, but it's still marginally better than the original black and white. You mean a GBA remake of Link's Awakening?
>>
>>3459930
He said 2 bit color, not 2 bit system.

The DMG can only display 4 "colors"
These are represented by a 2 bit number.
>>
>>3459930
no, I mean, the color itself. It is 4 shades of gray:
00 White
01 Light Gray
10 Dark Gray
11 Black

Hence the 2bit color.

The GameBoy itself is 8bit, of course.

A GBA remake would have been ideal, that was my point. The GBC one was a bit pointless IMO.

Then again, I think in perspective GBC itself was a bit pointless.
>>
>>3459935
>I think in perspective GBC itself was a bit pointless.

I wouldn't say that.
Sure it had a pretty short life, but it got some really good games, Like S-11, MGS, or Warioland 3.

Even the black carts generaly had pretty good improvements when played on a gbc.
>>
Pokemon Red & Blue are similar cases to Link's Awakening. Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition is the the DX Version of Link's Awakening.
>>
>>3459941
Yeah, there were some amazing games, sure. It's just that it was technologically underwhelming.

Nearly ten years after the original one, the CPU only doubled, the sprites were still locked to 8x8, and in general it was a quick stopgap measure that only succeeded because of the huge catalog already available and the Nintendo name.
>>
>>3459956
>the sprites were still locked to 8x8
just like on the GBA that you worship so much
>>
>>3459956
Spec-wise, yeah the GameBoy Color was very underwhelming in terms of hardware progression. But being in full color and having slightly more power made it feel like an entirely new generation of handheld.
>>
>>3459953

thats a terrible comparison
>>
>>3459956
>only doubled
>slightly more power
a world of a difference if you're bottlenecked by the CPU
>>
>>3459969
meaning, that was everything they did. No more changes to the CPU.
>>
>>3459967
I guess. The only difference between Link's Awakening (GB) and Red/Blue is the latter each have a Super GameBoy border.

Even though Yellow is still a standard GB game like Red/Blue, it has a more advanced color palette that changes depending on your location, and has more colors onscreen.
>>
>>3459975
>that was everything they did. No more changes to the CPU.
wrong
>>
File: 1395021293349.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1395021293349.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3455896
this one
>>
>>3459649
That's relative to the experience buddy, although I'm not the one you're discussing this with, I have to disagree with your shitty argument, it's fundamentally flawed, even if you mention it is in fact objectively inferior, you can't force the fact that others might in fact enjoy a colorless perspective on a game, even less when you feel it's a fact, that's a skewed biased sentiment, even more when it's appealing that a portable game like this one that had originally intended a black and white palette for it's main release due to limitations was sold like this in the first place and re-released as a deluxe version with an enhanced palette, it's obvious that was done to enrich the player's experience and give a broader mass appeal to the consumers, I'm sorry but your argument is not only invalid, it's objectively inferior.

tl:dr: I made a joke with your argument that is a joke to begin with, that your argument is shit.

Have a good day playing with your "superior" colored GBC graphically enhanced palette games upgraded versions.
>>
>>3459713
Because tripfriend, we must let chaos loose in this place so we can filter out the posts that are irrelevant to our informative palettes.
>>
DX palettes clash with each other so hard and are way too oversaturated. I would rather play LA in a GBC bios preset color than DX.
>>
>>3460949
>way too oversaturated
play it on the hardware, instead of an emulator without color correction
>>
File: ignorant_babby_award.gif (59KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
ignorant_babby_award.gif
59KB, 1000x1192px
>>3459870
>no u
Again, concession accepted. Now, go back to YouTube, babby boy.
>>
>>3461387
You lost the argument, bub. Let it go.
>>
File: LADX and OoA.png (39KB, 322x144px) Image search: [Google]
LADX and OoA.png
39KB, 322x144px
>>3460949
The DX palette does not clash at all. All of the colors mesh well together and are proper representations of the sprites and tiles they're assigned to. The colors are not over-saturated. If anything, they're under-saturated compared to the Oracle games.
>>
>>3461418
>Mysterious Woods
I think that may be cheating.
But I agree it's the area that benefits the most from the DX colors.
>>
The colours are great.

I strongly dislike the additional hints they put in (almost) every dungeon, though. And switching rupees for potions in the later dungeons... eh. You don't need either that late into the game, makes no difference, I suppose.

Some of the new texts (the house where you get the second sword now explicitly tells you what you'll get, rather than keeping it a surprise, and thereby matching the theme of the game. The changed entry text to the mountains when you have only two more dungeons to go) were also bad decisions.

Aesthetically, the DX version is an improvement. But they did make it too easy and repeatedly broke the mood of the game, so to speak.
>>
I think the colors that were added don't really add anything to the experience (I even prefer the SGB palette) and the new color dungeon sucked balls.

It being any better is highly questionable and it may even be worse given the fact that it was released years later on a marginally stronger console.
>>
>>3455991

This map is triggering me.
>>
File: 8iS47Bn.png (21KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
8iS47Bn.png
21KB, 300x100px
I think the photographies side quest is actually one of the high point of the game, it really flesh out the world and give the player more connection with it, making the ending much more impactful.
>>
Oh boy, would you look at that. James plays Link's Awakening and here we have Link's Awakening threads. Like clockwork.
>>
>>3459713
>عابدہسبعةورقة
wtf kabgyage us ghus?
>>
>>3463276
>the new color dungeon sucked balls.
But that's wrong you fucking retard.
>>
>>3459985
Red and Blue do have different color pallettes for different areas too, but it only works on the Super Game Boy and not the GBC.
>>
>>3464281

I'm sure Mike browses /vr/.

last week we had a beavis and butthead thread, james and mike play it AND make avgn episode.
now we have LA thread, and they release a monday vid.
>>
>>3466159
You ever hear of these strange things called coincidences? I'm sure that AVGN episode was being worked on for months and they decided to do a J&M Monday around its release.
>>
>>3455896
Fuck off James and Mike retard. Why don't you try asking on /v/ you fucking underage?
>>
>>3466256

I was being sarcastic, it's funny how it turned around, people would complain about threads poping up after new J&M episodes, but now it's been the inverse, twice.
>>
>>3455896
the "atmosphere" is in the heads of the people imagining what a Game Boy game would be like in color, then getting mad when the color version isn't 100% of what they wanted. US GAMERS HUH
>>
>>3455970
Damn cinemassacre groupies, the game is 23 years old get over it.
>>
One thing that needs to be considered when analyzing this shit is that emulators are not a fair representation of how the game looked on actual hardware at all, save a "real colors" option I've seen in BGB and others.

Every GBC palette looks way worse with default emulated colors, but even aside from that, its up to personal preference. I've played both versions and its just different, I didn't miss the colors when I played GB and didn't think any charm was lost on GBC.
>>
>>3457548
>Greyscale is just a stylistic choice.

But it wasn't
>>
>>3466267
this IS the VR board. people here are allowed to like old shit just for the trappings of old shit man

personally I like the snes and psx eras for their aesthetic quirks, but find most of the ps2 catalog hideous, and start finding ps3 acceptable again

just let people like old shit. this is theboard for it
>>
>tfw couldnt beat LA
>got lost
>>
>>3468162

Call Ulrira
>>
>>3459930
He means 2 bits per pixel.

If you're interested in computer technology: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth
>>
>>3459713
How about we forget our insecurities and learn to listen to different opinions?
>>
Original because
-Screen warp
-And by extension, the Fisherman's world, which is the greatest glitch world in a video game ever
>>
>>3457053
>/vr/ naturalistic fallacy
>>
I've never played the DX version, only one I have is the oldest version on a standard cart. Beyond color, what does it add? I've heard anons say another dungeon, but nothing else really.
>>
>>3474467
have you bothered reading the thread, at all?
>>
The colorized version is inferior and actually easy mode. Enemy behavior was altered to make them easier to deal with. The Genie is the most glaring example. He fires half as many fireballs and they move slower.
>>
>>3459964
The GBA supports sprites up to 64x64, dumbass.
>>
>>3471082
>Fisherman's world
Can be done in the DX Version as well.
>>
>>3477375
How?
>>
File: 2016-09-06 16.04.57.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-06 16.04.57.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
i recently dusted off my ds lite after not touching it for a few years. bought it and a flash card in 2007 and everything still works fine.

currently playing the dx version using gameyob. looks surprisingly good on the back lit dsl sceen, not that my blurry pic of a random area really does it justice
>>
>>3478397
I really wish I still had my DS Lite
I have an O3DS but it's 11.0
I have a PSP
But DS is comfier and can play DS and GBA games natively and emulate NES GB and GBC
>>
It's funny how the sgb version fo red and blue were superior to red and blue on the gbc and even yellow. but zelda seems to benefit from actual color on the gbc.
>>
Original has the select bug so that
>>
>>3455896
>I sometimes read the colors aren't that good and ruins the atmosphere of the original game
someone had sense then
>>
>>3478786
I think they fixed that after the first couple runs?
>>
>>3461387
Why do I keep seeing this image?
>>
>>3482407
Some faggot loves to use it as his go to reaction image for maximum pretentiousness.
>>
>>3482563
>thinking it's just one guy

Next I bet you think Australia-Kun is a real person and not just a label for a specific genre of shitposting.
>>
>>3482801
It was one person for a long time, then it became a forced meme.
>>
>>3482801

AK is very specific: hates Nintendo, America/yanks, posts Tomoko pics, fanboys over 80s euro computers.

There may be one other guy who mimics AK, but the real AK exists, he's a regular here.
>>
>>3471082
personally i found the doghouse world to be better than the fishermans
>>
i personally think most gbc games are ugly because the gbc has an ugly pallete, just like the gba.
>>
>>3484247
Both are capable of producing 32,768 unique colors though.

The pallet you see on a GBC game would be 56 of those colors chosen by the dev, assuming the game only has one pallet.
>>
>>3484265
>assuming the game only has one pallet
and that for some reason all background and sprite colors are unique, and that they don't use hdma, and ... let's just say the 56 is not a very useful number for statements like that.

Anon was, depending on how much they emulate badly, talking about the typically washed out look of their reflective LCDs, or the over-saturation of their emulators
>>
>>3484294
Well then that's not a pallet issue then, is it?
>>
File: 1293516160115.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1293516160115.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>re-release the game with improvements
>keep the nag that pop up every time you brush against a rock
>>
>>3484664
why not? The overall palette of the platform is defined by low saturation, that's just how it is
>>
>>3484671
just avoid the rocks retard. are you dumber than james rolf or something?
>>
>>3484675
the problem is that the punishment is unreasonably hard for the mistake made, and worse, the punishment is taken out on the player, not the character. It's bad design
>>
>>3484294
yeah right, the gbc color shader....idk man...and the rgb colors....i dont feel both.
>>
I'd argue the color in DX does a disservice to the original sprite work and art direction the team had to work with in a monochrome palette. Coloring it felt like a gimmick to sell more copies of a popular game on the newest version of the hardware.

That said, the addition of the photo thing was a nice touch.
>>
>>3484913
>shader
hardware
>>
>>3484731
i agree. its a little thing, but its til bad game design
>>
>>3456443
Wait, the photographs weren't in the original? I only played the DX version as a kid, and I never decided to hunt down the original because I had a Super Gameboy, and I could put it in black and white if I wanted to.
>>
>>3455896
>MUH DREAMS

DX is better. You're not wrong.
>>
>>3460020
That's beautiful. How was it done?
>>
>>3489768
screen grabs, map dump + post processing
>>
Original is better. Color dungeon item destroys game balance, and you can't get the maximum number of photographs without being a THIEF.
>>
>>3489772
>you can't get the maximum number of photographs without being a THIEF
why is that a problem?
>>
>>3489769
Fuck. Anyone know a way to emulate & filter like that?

Man I expanded that image on my 4k tv and I think I saw god.
>>
>>3489778
some emulators do have a similar filter (search for gb/dmg emulation and filters). You won't get the resolution though, obviously
>>
>>3489775
It drives completists crazy.
>>
>>3489792
I fail to see the downside
>>
>>3489792
You can still get the best ending. Just never go back, like a good criminal.
>>
>>3489797
people trying to "beat" games are such pathetic creatures
>>
>>3489798
Preach it sister
>Play every rom for 2 minutes master race
>>
>>3489797
The Wind Fish will call you THIEF, though.
>>
>>3456008
no, he said that MONOCHROME -> (add to) DREAMY ATMOSPHERE
>>
>>3489801
You're trying to be funny, and it's just not working out for you. So I'll just assume you're one of the retards that's playing games to "beat" them
>>
>>3457267
fuck off /pol/ retard
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 2560x2048px
DX is the best one. A big part of this game's appeal is the fun characters and general feel of the island, and the photos are an incredible addition because of this. The game DOES look better in colour (see pic) and the HUD works better too.
>>
>>3489815
>the HUD works better too
how so?
>>
>>3489815
I never realized how the overworld was built in chuncks.
Zoomed out it looks more like a 4x4 grid.
>>
File: PoH02Map.png (8KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
PoH02Map.png
8KB, 480x432px
>>3489820
>I never realized how the overworld was built in chuncks.
Did you play the game?
>>
>>3489830
It's more obvious when you can see the trees and cliffs make literal outlines.
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.