[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amiga - an overrated system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: 989px-Amiga500_system.jpg (109KB, 989x768px) Image search: [Google]
989px-Amiga500_system.jpg
109KB, 989x768px
While it can't be denied that the Amiga had its place in gaming history, in certain regions it was regrettably ignored and was great for music, video, animation effects circa 1987-92 however as graphically powerful as it was it lacked something overall in games, compared to other consoles and computers at the time

While there are classics that defined the system, there seems to be something about a large chunk of popular well known games that are disguised or centered around over designed graphics for its day that overshadow fundamentally flawed game mechanics and issues with quality control of games of the era that can be definitely be seen as weakening the gaming aspect of the system. The issue of too many mediocre games too choose from, which not unique to the Amiga, added to the problem.

While the C64 suffered from similar issues there seems to be less of this particular issue compared other computers of this era. I'm not defending Atari ST nor going into that.

16 bit and higher was already perfected in the arcades (circa 1984-1987) and truly was best on the Mega Drive, Turbografx/PC Engine ( i know 8 bit that looks 16 let it pass) and the SNES all encompassing the era of 16 bit games at different points roughly during the same period of Amiga 500.
>>
It's only overrated by poorfag Europlebs, everyone else doesn't give a fuck about the thing.
>>
>>3450995
I'm not a 'Europleb' and I give a fuck.
>>
I would have to agree. Most Amiga games don't have the polish you see on the likes of console games. Most of the Amiga "classics" are subpar if you compare them to the latter. My main exception however would be the likes of Turrican, Populous and Lemmings - all really good.

I think a lot of it is to do with the retarded decision to have a one button controller configuration for MOST games. It really limits the games made or makes them awkward to use since it requires using the keyboard too. Being used to multi-button controllers, I can't get used to this.

It is too bad since the Amiga was more than capable of having much more really good quality games. Instead it was bloated with generic platformers, bad ports of other games and graphics-yet-no-gameplay games like Shadow of the Beast (which does have good music, I have to admit).

Also I need to put this out there - I don't understand what's so great about Superfrog. I find it to be a horribly boring game. Sorry, guys.
>>
I love the Amiga and there were some fantastic games on the 500 specifically. However I would say that those years were the start of the era of game development as a practical career path. We went from a few bedroom coders to teams of people all trying to get their share of a booming console market, which then made it a very competitive industry. A few software houses managed to survive and prosper, but most went under or were bought out. In short, developing for consoles became lucrative - developing for 16 bit computers, not so much.
>>
The Amiga was a cool computer BUT it had many weaknesses.

>slow as molasses disk access
>horrible copy protection schemes
>one button joystick
>price

A usable Amiga setup was significantly more money than a console. Game devs didn't invest money into making A-list games on it, so most Amiga stuff was low quality and rushed (with exceptions of course). Games like Shadow of the Beast and Blood Money look beautiful but play terrible.
>>
File: 4chan in amiga mode.png (32KB, 1884x426px) Image search: [Google]
4chan in amiga mode.png
32KB, 1884x426px
>>
File: IMG_20160820_091616.jpg (133KB, 1000x1041px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160820_091616.jpg
133KB, 1000x1041px
>>3450985
What Amiga are we talking about? What chipset?
>>
>>3451092
May as well mean the OCS since about 85% of Amiga games are designed for that.
>>
>>3451096
Not really, maybe half, the other half is ECS and AGA.
There are sites that categorize games by chipsets.
>>
Problem with the Amiga is that almost everything was for a lowest common denominator setup, ie an A500 with no hard disk.
>>
>>3450985
I love playing a lot of Amiga games, specially there are a lot of definitive games for it that play best on the Amiga.
A lot of good series have their roots in the Amiga.

I was pretty old already when I got my own Amiga, so no real nostalgic connection to it, but I agree there are a lot of crappy games because everybody could make a game for it, which is actually cool because you could have mods, but then again console released cartridge games had to get a seal of approval to be released, so you knew someone did at least quality checking before releasing, of course you could do the same on the Amiga by just buying big brand games.

All in all it's a must have system if you are into retro gaming.
>>
When it comes to arcade ports, a lot of them were bad. If you mean the more traditional computer genres like RPGs and sims, the Amiga almost couldn't be beaten.
>>
>>3451010
I have no fucking clue actually why companies made one button controllers and devs went with it?
The system itself can support easily a d-pad+8 buttons, like the 6 button Genesis controller or CD32 controller.
>>
>>3450995
Oh look, a person who does not give a fuck about retro gaming in a retro gaming thread!
>>
Amiga games can rarely get over 25 fps because of how dog slow the graphics handling is.
>>
>>3451161
Look, some bullshit from someone who does not know anything about the system!

Actually the games where frame locked to their regions, 50 in PAL and 60 in NTSC.

Also some 3D games like Frontier or newer FPS games it depend on the actual hardware, but that was way later. When the actual problem was more CPU memory access then graphics handling.
>>
>>3450985
Because it's a piece of crap that need 100 overpriced expansions and life support to do anything
They didn't even release Doom for it because of that, even when a normal PC at the time could play it fine
>>
I honestly don't know what it is with Europeans and their inferiority complex that forces them to rabidly defend their niche shit, but it's easily the worst thing about this board.
>>
It's too bad Uridium 2 was only available on the Amiga, that game was fucking awesome. Though honestly if it was on something else I likely would never have bought an Amiga.
>>
>>3451520
>They didn't even release Doom for it because of that, even when a normal PC at the time could play it fine

On low graphic setting at 15fps maybe.

You needed a high end PC to run Doom fine in 1993.
>>
>>3451520
>Because it's a piece of crap that need 100 overpriced expansions and life support to do anything
Not even remotely true. In fact, game devs of the era used to say that programming for PC was a nightmare due to the number of manufacturers making slightly different hardware and add-ins to no standard but their own. The Amiga was dead easy to program for by comparison.

The high-end expansions existed for the Amiga, sure, but if you had a 1200 or up you were pretty serious about your hobby, and into it for a lot more than the games.

>>3450985
Post is disjointed garbage. All the systems you cite were good at what they did, but the SNES and the Megadrive can't compete with the Amiga at what it does best. And what you see as quality control meant that the parent companies of the SNES and the Genesis stifled creativity and enforced standardisation. There was no indie content, no demo scene, no coverdisks, etc.
>>
>>3451752
>All the systems you cite were good at what they did, but the SNES and the Megadrive can't compete with the Amiga at what it does best. And what you see as quality control meant that the parent companies of the SNES and the Genesis stifled creativity and enforced standardisation.

Yeh but how many mindless generic Yuroshmups and platformers were there?
>>
File: 70.jpg (13KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
70.jpg
13KB, 480x359px
>>3451121
>I was pretty old already when I got my own Amiga, so no real nostalgic connection to it
>>
>>3452019
Late 90's
>>
>>3452019
>LOLCats
>2016
>>
>>3450985
The Amiga computers have a huge library, obviously it's going to have a lot of bad games in it. But just like, say, the NES you can find a lot of gems in it if you avoid the garbage.
>>
>>3452010
And? The SNES was full of JPRGs, a few of which stand out at the top of the pack. Same deal.

Also, there were a shitload more Amiga games than SNES games. Don't let the emu sites fool you, their libraries aren't nearly complete. I suspect a lot of the dross has been lost to time.
>>
>>3450985
>circa 1987-92
You mean '85 to '97
>>
>>3451689
>PC, Doom at 15fps, totally playable
>Amiga, No Doom at no fps, not playable
>>
>>3451116
The Amiga 500 was a budget system you pleb.
>>
>>3451010
Fuck Superfrog. Play Lionheart and Ruff n' Tumble. Two amazing Amiga-exclusive platformers that shiny on both graphics and gameplay.
>>
>>3453739
>1997
Amiga was already long dead at that point. Even before Commodore folded, it was getting replaced by PC clones.
>>
>>3454125
Some models where still actively produced until 1997, because there was still high demand for them in content creation. I just pointed that out because that's something OP mentioned.
>>
>>3453741
>1985 computer can't run fine a game made for highest end 1993 computers

Amiga also did not have Crysis and Halo, clearly reasons why the system died.
>>
>>3450985
>While it can't be denied that the Amiga had its place in gaming history…
I'm not sure about that.

>>3451752
> There was no indie content
> no demo scene
> no coverdisks
Thank god

>>3452867
> The SNES was full of JPRGs, a few of which stand out at the top of the pack. Same deal.
I have a question for you, have you ever played a single SNES game? Your idea of its library is vague at best

> Also, there were a shitload more Amiga games than SNES games.
Hahaha, but of course, with so much shovelware and no licensing
>>
>>3454198
/bait
>>
>>3454193
They didn't put Doom on the Amiga because the following reasons:

1. The Amiga's planar video memory was unsuited for this kind of game, as opposed to the completely linear VGA Mode 13
2. The only relevant Amiga markets were Germany, Britain, and Eastern Europe. Brits only had A500s with no hard disk, so that was out and in Eastern Europe it would get pirated.
3. Doom needed a 32-bit Amiga to run, but there weren't enough of those around to make it a viable product
>>
>>3454232
>1. The Amiga's planar video memory was unsuited for this kind of game, as opposed to the completely linear VGA Mode 13
Doom runs fine on OCS chipset, just in lesser color, Amigas video is not a restriction for it, AGA was out anyways when Doom came out.

>2. The only relevant Amiga markets were Germany, Britain, and Eastern Europe. Brits only had A500s with no hard disk, so that was out and in Eastern Europe it would get pirated.
Commodore was a sinking ship when Doom came out, it was know for a fact for years already, they would have easily released a later release of Doom for it like they did for the 68k Macs if Amiga would have thrived.

>3. Doom needed a 32-bit Amiga to run, but there weren't enough of those around to make it a viable product
There are no non-32bit Amigas, there where indeed 32-bit Amigas with 16-bit buses, but that was a OCS thing.

>They didn't put Doom on the Amiga because the following reasons:
You don't release a product for a specific platform if you're going to lose money developing/supporting, specially if the future of the platform is unknow, a stock Amiga 4000 could play Doom fine, just like every other machine that came out that year.
>>
>>3454303
And on that note, it's not like many PCs from the 80s could play Doom any better than what an Amiga could, anyway.
>>
>>3454339
The game came out in 93 though. At that time, everyone had 386/486 PCs unless they were a poorfag.
>>
>>3454357
Or a Amiga 1200/4000 unless they were a poorfag.
>>
>>3454383
The thing is, you didn't find any PC software in 1993 that still was designed for a 286 with EGA graphics while 85% of Amiga shit right down to the end was designed for A500s with no hard disk.
>>
>>3454383
Nobody did that.
>>
>>3454393
>you didn't find any PC software in 1993 that still was designed for a 286 with EGA
Even Windows 3.1 was designed to run on 286 and EGA.

>while 85% of Amiga shit right down to the end was designed for A500s
How is that possible, software designed for 256 colors and hard drives is clearly not designed for A500s, you clearly have no clue about the Amiga software library.
>>
>>3454417
>Even Windows 3.1 was designed to run on 286 and EGA

If you want to sit and wait for screens to slowly draw themselves. Besides, no applications or almost no applications or games out in 93 still ran on that outdated shit.
>>
>>3454393
Since when is 85% of Amiga software British shovelware games?
>>
File: 1471553157271.png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
1471553157271.png
461KB, 870x722px
>>3454395
>>
It really is, any 80s/early 90s system relying solely on western games is doomed.
>>
Only Eurofags care about Amiga.
>>
>>3455678
Agree, just like they care about every other system without being bias.
>>
>>3455692
Topkek, that sarcasm
>>
>>3451108
I've never encountered a game that cared if I had an ECS or OCS Denise.
>>
>>3457594
Shitloads, mostly backports of AGA games.
>>
>>3450985
>op a blogging faggot?
Unfortunately you didn't make any real points in your blog that don't apply to everything else at the time, as you said.
Not sure if you're an assmad jackintosh fanboi or just weren't there at the time. The Amiga is in no way overrated.
>>
>>3458521
It's just cheap bait dude, some people are bored and seek out shit instead of actual discussions.
>>
>>3451083
>furrfag
>>
>>3453741
>Amiga, No Doom at no fps, not playable

The Amiga had plenty of FPS games, some were actually decent too:

https://youtu.be/Tv6aJRGpz_A
>>
>>3460334
Always want to play Alien Breed 3D and its sequel especially.

Breathless and Genetic Species look interesting too.
>>
>>3460334
Wow, what an amazing vid. Thx for sharing, anon.
>>
>>3460334
Yeah, we can see they are good games, that's probably why there's a Amiga in every house nowadays....oh wait....
>>
>>3460670
Commodore, Gould and Ali screwed Amiga over before the marketplace even had a chance to.
>>
>>3460334
>some were actually decent too
Amiga in a nutshell, topkek
>>
>It's a daily american thread about how they don't get the Amiga because they didn't had it so it must be shit.

When will you fat fucks ever get tired of it
We get it, americans are weeaboo nintendrones that got fed up japshit their entire life so they don't know best, don't try to force your mental issues on us Europeans.
>>
>>3460946
We know, but this is actually a weeaboo baiting thread to make them whine.
>>
>>3460954
>>3460946
This is a weeaboo board on a weeaboo site.
>>
>>3460961
Exactly, what didn't you understand?
>>
>>3460961
No, this is a retro gaming board on an american website.
>>
>>3460972
That's where their delusions kick in, they don't understand that.
>>
File: 1472501370574.jpg (1MB, 1448x2492px) Image search: [Google]
1472501370574.jpg
1MB, 1448x2492px
>>3460972
>>
>>3461180
>4chan is an anime imageboard as a whole because it has anime banners

guess we're a daft punk board too, there's a daft punk banner right now

you are so retarded you can't even realize your image single out the weeb boards... and this is not one of them
>>
>>3461187
Daft Punk are weeaboos so they fit in.
>>
File: stevenseagalbushido.jpg (30KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
stevenseagalbushido.jpg
30KB, 500x385px
>>3461180

>tfw I'm an actual weeaboo

Feels great desu, japanophiles are the highest cultured people on Earth.
>>
>>3462581
?
>>
>>3450985
>no real games
>shitty hardware
>>
It seems to me like the Amiga had a lot of great games, but the problem is, most of the best ones, like Populous, Lemmings, Worms, etc. eventually got ported onto systems that are more well known (especially in America), so going back to the library today, it's more difficult to find stand-out Amiga exclusives.

It's kind of the same with the dreamcast, I think. It was a great system with great games, but there are hardly any Dreamcast games that haven't been ported to more popular platforms.
>>
>>3464868
Even those ported games, the Amiga versions are the better ones.
>>
>>3464875
Yeah, they are, which is why I have an Amiga. But some people might find no reason to get an Amiga when they can play all the best games on their Mega Drive/SNES/PC.
>>
>>3464881
If you're a true retro fag you will have one.
>>
>>3464913
You mean fanboy :^)
>>
>>3451092
sauce?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.