[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that pushed the system to its limits. Mayhem In Monsterland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: mim.png (45KB, 320x211px) Image search: [Google]
mim.png
45KB, 320x211px
Games that pushed the system to its limits.

Mayhem In Monsterland was one of the last commercial releases for the Commodore 64 and there was some digital wizardry involved to squeeze everything out of 64k of memory.
>>
>>3450430
They just meticulously designed each tile for the best colours, same as in Creatures, and threw in some hi-res sprites. The scroll speed was impressive, but the game felt crap other than that.

Check Flimbo's Quest instead. It has silky smooth multi-layer scrolling, and very impressive looking and well animated sprites. Also good palette use - they maximize a given colour theme on each stage, instead of trying to be super colourful at all times.
>>
>>3450497
oh, and I forgot, it also has some super huge enemies. The hidden dinosaur on stage 3 is almost the size of half the screen, and the later levels have huge dragons and demons running around, all of them well animated.

The game uses the C64 limitations to drive its aesthetics extremely good, so much that it looks and sounds better than the Amiga original even.
>>
>>3450430
Ah, imagine if they'd coded it for the C128 instead. All that extra memory.
>>
Asterix and Obelix XXL is pretty impressive for a GBA game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWBUdgIa0oE
>>
>>3450537
I stlll don't know how the fuck they did this.
>>
>>3450430
Not a game per se, but obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB1a7FJF8A
>>
>>3450537
If it wasn't for the resolution, this could easily pass off for a PS1 game.
>>
Recca 94 for NES, that one GB shoot em up game with the wacky background antics that haven't been properly emulated yet, Super Mario RPG funny enough since the SA-1 is pretty much a 2nd CPU on par with the SNES's, or Doom/SMW2 for SNES, Streets of Rage 2 or Master of Darkness for SMS, Virtua Racing on the Genesis.
>>
File: Rip_Fernando.jpg (80KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Rip_Fernando.jpg
80KB, 800x450px
>>3450537
RIP
>>
>>3450565
>that one GB shoot em up game with the wacky background antics that haven't been properly emulated yet
Not true. It builds upon the fact that the original DMG had ghosting. Most emulators deactive ghosting by default, but you can turn it back on again. And with that it plays just fine.
>>
>>3450497
>and threw in some hi-res sprites.
so they just overlayed monochromatic sprites on top of each other, right?
>>
>>3450557
Demos are always nice but they have no actual game code.
>>
>>3450613
Who is this?
>>
>>3450741
>Demos are always nice but they have no actual game code.

That demo has. The corridor part was used in the unreleased X-Men game, and the voxel landscape on the end was released on the Saturn (titled AMOK), combined with hardware sprites and polygons for the enemies and the player ship. The stage 2 layout even matches perfectly the one in that demo.
>>
>>3450769
Fernando Velez, co-founder of Vd-dev and their main programmer. He started by coding Jim Power on Amiga, and was the technical genius who did stuff like V-Rally or Asterix on GBA.
He died two months ago.
>>
>>3450769
Are you fucking kidding me? You must be over 25 to post on vr.
>>
>>3450794
I didn't recognize him either.
Not everyone follows retro gaming obituaries.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.