[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can I get any reasonably common 2600 game for $2-$5 but have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: atari_2600_8.jpg (2MB, 3680x2120px) Image search: [Google]
atari_2600_8.jpg
2MB, 3680x2120px
Why can I get any reasonably common 2600 game for $2-$5 but have to shell out $15+ for any mildly popular game on any other system?

I don't think it's demand, 2600 collecting has gotten pretty big over the last few years but the prices aren't rising at all. Is this the calm before the storm?

Also, are there any other /vr/ consoles that still have cheap games?
>>
Because Atari games were so overproduced they literally became trash.
>>
>>3446607
PS1 and Master System are pretty cheap, from experience.

I don't see normies all of a sudden stepping over their mother to get a 2600 any time soon, same with PS1 and SMS. You should be good.

But it's usually something in pop culture like Pokemon Go or an e-celeb endorsement that shoots up prices. Then there's also stuff like gaming blogs writing articles about how underrated stuff like the Saturn/Dreamcast and Jaguar is (hence the higher than normal prices on them now, coupled with lower production).
>>
>>3447538
Popular PS1 games have gotten pretty pricey. Spyro and Crash games have almost reached the $50 mark where I live.
>>
Unlike Sega and Nintendo, Atari has been ignoring the 2600 instead of keeping it within popular culture. Its place in the Great Video Game Narrative is "the console that killed the video game industry because of its shitty games". But unlike the Jaguar, it was massively popular in its time. So there's high supply and low demand.

There won't be a 2600 bubble in the same way that there won't be a Furby bubble.
>>
the old butt munches who grew up with the 2600 are old and senile and half dead by now and nobody else cares abot that old wood grain grandpaw shit lmao :D
>>
>>3448173
Eh, the atari flashbacks sell ok and they're at 6 soon.
>>
>>3448173
Get out.
>>
>>3448173
yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>3447957
>Its place in the Great Video Game Narrative is "the console that killed the video game industry because of its shitty games".
That's actually not it's narrative in video game history, unless that's literally the title of a shitty book written by revisionists.

It's history was the first viable game console that wasn't shit and that had plenty of decent arcade style titles. It wasn't the console that killed the video game industry, it was the console that effectively made it for homes. Before it were pong clones out the ass. The earliest competitors outside of getting a microcomputer like the Apple II or TRS-80 model 1 which were still kind of crap for gaming, was the Fairchild Channel F. The others following suit closely were the Bally Astroarcade and Magnavox Odyssey and Intellivision. None of which were actually as good as the 2600 before it, which had higher resolution, more colors and sprites and was just great in comparison to basically everything you'd bring into your home.

Anyone who thinks that the effectively first viable console for the home is what killed video gaming is just outright fucking delusional.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.