[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have a copy of "The Untold History of Japanese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: large[1].jpg (68KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
68KB, 960x720px
Does anyone have a copy of "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers"? It includes the only known photo of Akira Kitamura, Mega Man's reclusive creator. The only verison of this image is here, and it's pretty crappy.
>>
>>3446228
Still no copy of volume 2 to download.
>>
I backed the Kickstarter but the creator refunded my pledge because there was an issue with distributing the digital edition? The refund happened right before release, but every update I remember from the guy was full of drama about some translator woman wanting to ruin his life. While it might have been true, the book creator sounded insane in every update. Like this woman was going to sabotage him. The whole experience was awful and even though I'm sure the book is informative; I don't know if I want to give the guy any money after that.
>>
>>3446279
That's what they get for trash talking based Kojima.
>>
File: Capcom group photo.png (621KB, 832x427px) Image search: [Google]
Capcom group photo.png
621KB, 832x427px
This is the pic as it appears in my pirated .pdf. But every image is shit quality in this thing. Probably to save space. An official copy is probably better quality.
>>
>>3446279

Can someone summarize what that's about? When researching the book I came across very detailed blog posts that I didn't want to wade through about some kind of controversy. Is the guy nuts?
>>
>>3446289
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/670089

His first post on the situation. If you follow the Kickstarter updates after that date, there's more, including the translator trying to sue him.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/775871

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/775871

"Hanako Abe (formerly Kaku) 安倍 華子 (賀来), her sister Shigeko Kaku (aka: Agness Kaku) 賀来 慈子(アグネス), and Agness' husband Peter Daimu (according to his website he spells his name 醍夢ピーター), have enacted a calculated attack to end my career, destroy my life, and put a stop to this project."

I'm sure these people were being assholes to John, but his endless long-winded and over dramatic posts on the matter were not necessary. As a backer, I didn't really care about any of this. It seemed like in the end, nothing happened, so every post he made on the subject was completely pointless. Or he was trying to get sympathy out of people that already gave him money? I'd say he certainly isn't normal.
>>
>>3446342

I've scanned blog posts, and it seems the initial spark was that he was not happy with their translations, and it spiraled from there. He-said she-said affairs. I can't tell who is right or wrong. But I can say that the long winded rants paint him as a crazy person and unprofessional.

But it ultimately doesn't matter as it's behind the scenes drama.
>>
Author is a twat, but those books are great and pretty much required reading if you're interested by old Japanese computer games.
>>
Reading version 1. The Gold version has different translations.

>Roy OZAKI : Almost three sections were making arcade and console stuff. Later on it was divided betweenarcades and console. Kitamura was in section two. And he did Megaman for consoles because he wasn’t liked by his bosses. He’s a strange guy – real strange. He screwed me a lot of times. And I thought I saw through him, but I didn’t I guess. Basically he has a weak personality. He has talent, but he’s weak. He doesn’t know how to use the people who do graphics or... He just can’t get on with people. So while he was at Capcom, and they had console and arcade staff, they made him do console, because nobody wanted him.

>RO: Kitamura wanted to make Rockman 2, but Fujiwara wouldn’t allow it. They weren’t getting along. That’s why he left.

>RO: Kitamura wanted to make Rockman 2, Fujiwara always said no. But Sakai said: “You know, Kitamura got a pretty good hit with Rockman 1, so let him make it.” So Kitamura started making it, and then he got pulled into [inaudible] Nishiyama-san. Then he went to SNK, then he went to Takeru.

With Inafune:

>JS: When you joined the Mega Man team, the Rockman character was partially designed?

>KI: When I joined the Mega Man team his outline existed, his basic pixel art was done. Not even pixel art, rather his pixel structure was done. Kind of the skeleton, if you will. Things like his final look, as well as things like his jumping animation and so on, still had to be completed. He existed as a single sprite when I joined, no animations existed, no poses existed, and they had not been designed when I joined the team.

>JS: Your mentor, Akira Kitamura, he created that rough outline? Was he in charge of the team?

>KI: He was the leader of the team for Mega Man and Mega Man 2 – nowadays you would call this role “the director”
>>
>>3446412

>JS: What was it like working for him?

>KI: He was an incredibly strict person! He was strict but it was because he had a real love for games. He was always in the office, slept at his desk, and he was always researching or working on the games. He taught me about the required strictness of game development. You can’t slack off. You have to do your best all the time. That’s sort of the message, of what I learned from him. Kitamura-san would sleep through the night, at his desk, and then the next morning he would do the checks for the content that I had produced the day before. Obviously he didn’t sleep so well, and since he was a very, very strict person, often some of the stuff that was good – the stuff that we had all worked on – he would say, “This is no good, and this is no good,” and so on. You could say he was a perfectionist. He was incredibly hard to please, with incredibly high standards, and his rules towards character development were so obsessively careful, true perfectionism. That bled over into his approach to game development as a whole. My team in particular really bore the brunt of his drive I guess, his demand for perfection, and we were directly under him. So it was... Yes, we had his full attention. He taught me about the concept of getting exactly what you want for the character on to paper and into the game, not settling merely for something close to your design. It’s about getting exactly what you want in the game. He taught me that. I would say that I think the way he taught me, that very strict way, is what kept me interested, and kept me going. Even after he stopped, and I worked on the games without him, I do believe his influence and his approach, which I now believe in, shines through all the products I’ve worked on, and all the Mega Man games. So even though he was not involved in some of them, I do believe that they are games produced under his methods, even if not by him.
>>
>JS: Did you know any of the team from the first Akumajou Dracula? They’re not credited.

>MK: Yes. I also know the sound composer of Castlevania, she joined the company the same year as I did. Now she lives in the United States. Ms Kinuyo Yamashita was the composer of the original score. Ms Muramatsu was the lead artist. Mr Akamatsu was the lead programmer. The other guys I don’t remember. There was another person who did the sound programming, he now lives in
Osaka. He became independent. I sometimes work with him. The gentleman I’m talking about, the sound programmer, is Mizutani-san. Right now we’re on the same project.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.