[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come japware always seem to be closed source freeware that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: SSF.png (72KB, 656x525px) Image search: [Google]
SSF.png
72KB, 656x525px
How come japware always seem to be closed source freeware that only runs on Windows?
>>
mac as a home computer is a fresh iphone-born meme that's yet to get far enough for every single piece of software to exist on it and windows
no-one bothers with linux because it's home use is promoted mainly by a bunch of geeks
>>
Ootake and Neko Project 2 are open source.
>>
>>3442247
No FLOSS culture until recently (e.g., with Ruby). Japan has generally been behind the West in all things Internet.
>>
>>3442247
because open source doesn't automatically mean someone else is going to care enough and improve emulation.
everything else you have runs on windows, why switch oses?
>>
>>3442364
>everything else you have runs on windows
Uh, pretty much only shitty AAA-games only run on Windows nowadays.
>>
>>3442369
How many eroge get released for Linux?
>>
>>3442370
Yeah, that too, Japware seems to only run on Windows for some reason. Japs seem to be totally unaware of Renpy.
>>
>>3442247
is this really relevant to /vr/? japs didn't used to port games to windows at all, only to pc98 and fmtowns. in any case its because japs are stupid, half their games only run on specifically windows 98 or xp if they are ported at all and ive not had a single nip game ported to not be a fucking mess
>>
>>3442418
They switched from PC98 to IBM Windows in the late 90s.
Op seems to be more about emulators like SSF though.
>>
>>3442425
Nah, I meant Japanese hobbyist-made software in general.
>>
>>3442426
i am looking now and don't actually see any of these open source licenses actually translated to japanese. no gpl or *bsd or anything. might not be able to read and therefore comprehend what these things are. if they did they probably wouldnt adopt gpl because it ensures down the line they couldnt try and sell it or load an assload of ads. also some games like osu spy on their users and wouldnt want that getting out either
>>
>>3442438
You can't have looked very hard.
http://www.opensource.jp/gpl/gpl.ja.html
>>
File: 64687687.png (505KB, 545x564px) Image search: [Google]
64687687.png
505KB, 545x564px
>>3442446
oh i see where i messed up
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.ja.html
>>
>>3442446
>http://www.opensource.jp/gpl/gpl.ja.html
>This is an unofficial translation of the GNU General Public License into Japanese. It was not published by the Free Software Foundation, and does not legally state the distribution terms for software that uses the GNU GPL--only the original English text of the GNU GPL does that. However, we hope that this translation will help Japanese speakers understand the GNU GPL better.
>gpl 1.4 2002
>>
>>3442465
It was the first result when I searched for gpl 日本語版.
Is it important whether it's official or not? Not like the GPL has any legal power either way.
>>
>>3442247
DOS died and windows took its place.
>>
>>3442473
And it is the only result from over 14 years ago by an unofficial translator. GPL is a legal document, with sufficient evidence FSF has been proven to sue people who break the license agreement. It is important because what is stated on that document could not represent what GPL is accurately and may have loopholes among other things. Not only that but GPL is cancerous and the moment they make that their license they can never revoke it even if it turns out they dislike it. It is easier to just keep the source closed than to assume a fat white guy isn't going to screw them over
>>
>>3442247
A lot of people think SSF is built on stolen code.
>>
>>3442541
I wasn't specifically referring to that piece of software, I was referring to Japware in general.
>>
>>3442247
>How come japware always seem to be closed source freeware that only runs on Windows?

Because they are aiming for their program to be useful for the biggest possible userbase.

Imagine if SSF was, say, BSD only.
>>
>why dont they like what 'we' like
>why dont they hate what 'we' hate
>>
>it's another "linuxfags get upset because no one else but them support their shitty hipster shit OS" episode
>>
>>3442943
Too bad for you that Mednafen-Saturn exists now and runs well on Linux.

There's no excuse for not writing your emulator in a cross-plaform, portable way so it works anywhere.
>>
>>3442418
Some late PC98s actually could run win 95...
>>
>>3442578
Doesn't address the fact that it isn't open sourced. There is in fact quite a bit of Windows only open source software out there.
>>
>Winkiddies used to being shafted by nonfree shitware
Microsoft has proved that it doesn't care about you, your privacy, your OS, or anything with Windows 10 and is about to rape your legacy 7/8.1 OSes as well with the same forced autoupdate, no privacy bullshit 10 has.

Why do you put up with it? Games? A few bullshit games that if you would actually use GNU, companies would start making games for it rather than cancerous Windows?

Come the fuck on, guys. It's over. Windows is dying. Get the fuck with the program. Stop apologizing and defending that pile of shit marketing company trying to sell you shitty technology and use a real OS. Hell, as cancerous as Macs are, I would much rather people use those over Windows.
>>
>>3442950
There's still a lot of closed source Windows exclusive emulators. If you're interested in Japanese computers there's nearly no alternatives for them.
PC98 is the main exception and even then you don't have the more advanced NP2 fmgen.
>>
>>3443062
Only when computer assemblers will suddenly drop support of MS Windows, only then there would be a chance Windows would lower its share on PCs.
>>
File: a_bloo_bloo_bloo.jpg (368KB, 900x674px) Image search: [Google]
a_bloo_bloo_bloo.jpg
368KB, 900x674px
>>3443062
>>
>>3443158
>typicalwindowsuser.jpg
>>
>>3443062
>Hell, as cancerous as Macs are, I would much rather people use those over Windows.
>Tells people to use GNU but prefers Mac over Windows
>Tells people to use an os that is even more cancerous, runs on and promotes overpriced machines and isn't nearly as open and functional as Windows at its worst
laughingstallman.png
>>
>>3443195
Let me know when Apple does half the bullshit Microsoft has pulled lately with Windows.

And I did say it was a cancerous pile of shit, but that it's at least better than Windows.

Do you all have Microsoft Stockholm Syndrome, or are you the same paid Microsoft employees that come on boards and try to keep their sinking ship afloat using FUD and lies that has invaded and are the main cancer of /g/?
>>
>>3442247
Japanese are bad programmers, more news at 11.
>>
>>3443212
Apple pretty much patented the bullshit Microsoft is doing now.
>>
>>3443212
>but that it's at least better than Windows.
The only thing that Apple OS does better than Windows is being relatively more stable, I'll give you that, al the rest is worse than Windows in any possible way, it's literally a OS for dumb fucks who can't even rename folders.
>Let me know when Apple does half the bullshit Microsoft has pulled lately with Windows.
Let me know when Windows forces shitty overpriced proprietary hardware and sofware on their products to the point that I have to buy Windows USB cables to connect my stuff on a machine.
The only shill here is you, I don't know any serious GNU user that would tell people to go Apple over Windows, it is a cognitive dissonance of the highest degree.
>>
>>3443231
Um, no.

Like I said, Apple is cancer and you probably shouldn't use a Mac, at all.

But if you are that hateful towards GNU or *BSD (the only real OSes that people should use), then it would be better for you to use a Mac instead of the privacy-raping, pile of shit, unstable pile of garbage Windows.

Again, don't, but if you are deluded to the point that you don't think GNU or *BSD are good, just please don't use Windows. Ever.
>>
>>3443247
But OSX is a BSD.
You'd have to use a PPC Mac with OS9 or earlier. (or a 68k with System 7 or earlier if you want more retro-cred).
>>
The japanese are xenophobic island people AT BEST, and AT BEST they are a closed society that only 80 years ago legit believed their Emporer was God Almighty.

You weebs read so much of their literature, it's shocking that you don't understand that they are elitist assholes who regularly depict whites as hairy, bumbling apes.

You'd think the bomb would've broke them of that shit, but no.
>>
>>3442247
There's simply too much text in modern open source licences for them to interpret with their squinty eyes
>>
>closed source freeware

I think the Japanese tend to have a different view when it comes to software.

I mean, how many dumped unreleased/pre-final games have been put online by a Japanese gamer? Maybe they just don't get attention from the west, but it seems like the majority of released proto ROMs originate from from non-JP sources, even for Japanese developed games.
>>
>>3442247
Just think how Japanese companies typically deal with piracy and you might get into their mindset.
>>
>>3443279
>osx is a bsd
I don't know where this retardation came from, but it needs to end. Macs are based on NeXTSTEP, and only a few parts of some BSD components were used, and that doesn't fucking make it BSD.
>>
>>3443808
>I don't know where this retardation came from
/g/, where all of 4chans technology related retardation stems from.
>>
there just isn't any incentive to release open source. I mean i could bust my ass and spend the next few years creating a sega saturn emulator but what would I get in return for it? some sperglords complaining about pixel accuracy?

I've got other shit to do cause im broke and unemployed. most emulator programmers seem to be doing it to grow their e-peen, which implies they're all set for life and got lots of free time. Japs are probably in the same position, they don't get paid as gloriously as american programmers and lack the free time.
>>
>>3443692
>and AT BEST they are a closed society that only 80 years ago legit believed their Emporer was God Almighty.
Could be worse, they could be mormons.
>it's shocking that you don't understand that they are elitist assholes who regularly depict whites as hairy, bumbling apes.
Well, judging from your post they probably aren't too far off the mark.
>>
>>3443692
>who regularly depict whites as hairy, bumbling apes

Just by reading your comment they seem to be right
>>
>>3442315
This. Proud samurai honor prevents them sharing source.

They also don't give a shit about pcs other than running sex games.
>>
>>3442274
Japan has been big on Macs for decades. Windows wouldn't exist without ripping off Macintosh UI anyway; enjoy your dos shell faggot.
>>
>>3445030
>le Apple was first and the only one with GUI for a long time meme
>>
>>3445041
>le

You can return to reddit anytime, friend.
I didn't say that Apple had the first GUI. Doesn't change the fact that Windows ripped of the Macintosh UI wholesale. Keep it up shill, maybe you'll get a few bucks in your Microsoft account later.
>>
>>3445098
>Keep it up shill, maybe you'll get a few bucks in your Microsoft account later.
I haven't used Windows since XP, I use GNU/Linux in my daily life, Applefag. Enjoy paying like double the price for standard x86-hardware.
>>
>>3445112
Bash inside of Windows 10 doesn't count, micro$hill.
>>
>>3443048
>Doesn't address the fact that it isn't open sourced.

What are you, a communist?
>>
>>3443212
>Let me know when Apple does half the bullshit Microsoft has pulled lately with Windows.

Both Apple and Google has done what is Microsoft doing right now times 1000.

Everything Microsoft has been sued or called out for, regarding privacy or antitrust, Google is doing it and Apple is doing it too.

Microsoft is literally just catching up to them - but if they try doing the same thing, people bitch about it non stop, even if they don't give a fuck if their iphone/android device does the same.
>>
>>3443710
>I mean, how many dumped unreleased/pre-final games have been put online by a Japanese gamer?

Treasure included the Gunstar Heroes prototype when they released the PS2 Treasure Collection, from what I recall they also had a full manual for it.

Yes, they included a prototype version on a commercial compilation of their games.
>>
>>3445098
>>3445030
Both Apple and Microsoft ripped off the Xerox PARC.
>>
What's you guys' favorite obscure old Japanese computer games?
I imagine Tong-Nou/Chu-Teng and Garage are the obvious choices.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.