[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the worst /vr/ games that were massive commercial successes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: cart_PacMan.jpg (45KB, 400x480px)
cart_PacMan.jpg
45KB, 400x480px
What were the worst /vr/ games that were massive commercial successes?

I'm trying to win a "mass audiences are more likely to enjoy eating shit now than they were in the past" argument.
>>
California Games.
>>
>inb4 FFVII
>>
>>3441805
The 3D Zelda games for N64

Fucking swing, /vr/
>>
Ocarina of Time
>>
>>3441809
California Games was great though
>>
The entire belt scroller genre
>>
File: 1471752530770.jpg (274KB, 850x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1471752530770.jpg
274KB, 850x1036px
>>3441805
Resident evils
Castlevania
Metroid
Sonic
Final Fantasy 2 (4)
Loz 1
Bomberman
Banjo Kazooie
Golden Sun
>>
File: vixenYSposter.jpg (469KB, 950x1326px)
vixenYSposter.jpg
469KB, 950x1326px
Shadow of the Beast? Even people who liked the game back then are a lot cooler on it now.

There's also Defender of the Crown, which wasn't "the worst" so much as a game packed with flashy graphics but no substance to the gameplay. Which makes it a perfect parallel to modern video games.

Ice Climber is a piece of shit that doesn't deserve the retroactive success that it got from Smash, but that's just my opinion.

Finally, pic related and Night Trap sold way more copies than they should have thanks to sex appeal, though they were hardly massive success.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
>>
>>3441891
What kind of voodoo magic do I need to do to get girls to start wearing their hair like that again?
>>
>>3441978

What, don't you like the "dry hair hanging lifelessly to the shoulders that eventually evolves into unwashed hair lazily pulled into a scrunchied ponytail" look?
>>
>>3441846
Fuck off.
>>
Any game made after 1999 is shit.
>>
>>3441832
>The 3D Zelda games for N64

Make that the Zelda series in general
>>
>>3441978
A time machine bro...
>>
>>3441805
You're not going to win that argument. Generally people like good stuff. You just sound like an edge lord.
>>
>>3441805
Mortal Kombat immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>3441891
Shadow of the Beast and Defender of the Crown were never massively successful. They were, however, unmitigated dogshit.
>>
>>3441805
Now mass audiences like great games like Call of Duty, Mario Games, GTA and other greats. You lost your gay little argument bro
>>
>>3442702
>Mc Donalds
>Top 10 music charts
>Top grossing movies of all time
>good stuff
Aaayyyyylmao
>>
>>3442807
Yeah good stuff. Snobs who don't have a personality will pretend liking obscure stuff makes up for it.
>>
>>3442807

>everything popular is bad!

you need to be at least 18 years old to post on 4chan. please come back in a few years.
>>
>>3442807
McDonald is popular because it's cheap, but everyone know it's not good food. The top grossing movies aren't generally terrible movies. Only thing I agree with is music, and even then, it's only right now, since there used to be good music in the top ten charts.
>>
>>3442807
You go in acting like this, you're going to lose the argument insanely bad
>>
>>3442825
>>3442813

>Things are popular because the majority are intelligent people who think for themselves

No.
>>
>>3442787
This is probably the best example.

It sold on novelty of gore and digitized stop motion graphics while being a dumpster fire mechanically
>>
>>3442825

I don't think you have to be a hipster to think that most people have garbage taste. Nearly every superhero movie rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars even when they're genuinely bad. Most people are influenced by marketing and brand loyalty, not quality.

Just look at Beats, those headphones are fucking garbage for what they cost, any number of headphones in the same price range would be a far better option. People willingly forked over hundreds of dollars for shitty headphones because a guys name was on them and because cool people in music videos were wearing them.

That doesn't mean everything popular is bad, or that something obscure is inherently good, but the argument that popularity=quality is equally retarded.
>>
Dragon's Lair
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.