[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Damn, this game is incredible. I'm loving everything about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

File: 001.jpg (69KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
69KB, 500x641px
Damn, this game is incredible. I'm loving everything about it.

Only problem is, it runs a bit slow, especially when there's tons of ships on screen. I'm playing the GOG version, which runs it through DosBox.

Is there any way of running it smoothly, or at least faster than this, without having to adjust emulation speed with ctrl+11 and ctrl+12 in the middle of a dogfight?
>>
>>3429939

Wcnews.com has wonderful tech support guides for running all of the Wing Commander games on modern systems. Here's a link I would try first:

http://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc1

Wing Commander is in my top 5 all-time favorites. Try the Secret Missions add-on and the sequels. You can even transfer your pilot data over all the way until III or IV, I can't remember which.
>>
cycles=4000 to 5000 seems to work for me

one thing i really fucking hate about WC1 is landing the ships and how random damage seems to be
>>
>>3429973
On that link, obviously skip to #14 since you have the Gog version.
>>
>>3429980
This. 4500 for me iirc.
>>
>>3429973
>>3429980

Thanks a lot, guys.

I'm loving the game. It's really immersive, and hit the sweet spot between complexity and streamlined mechanics.

I love the organic way missions progress, and the ranking system. It really makes me question why the fuck they stopped making these types of games, this and Tie Fighter are better than literally anything spaceship related that has come out in the last 15 years.
>>
File: wc_020.png (7KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
wc_020.png
7KB, 320x200px
>>3429980
>landing the ships

It's just kind of ambiguous how to do it. I had to look it up, admittedly. Just target Tiger's Claw, open communications and ask for permission to land, then approach.
>>
>>3430001
it's not just that though unfortunately

you also need to face the right side of the tiger's claw sprite, it's way too fucking hard

they got rid of that requirement in 2 i think
>>
File: f310-gaming-gamepad-images.png (43KB, 521x342px) Image search: [Google]
f310-gaming-gamepad-images.png
43KB, 521x342px
I love playing it with pic related. Dosbox lets you map controls by pressing ctrl+F1.
>>
File: 250px-Wc1bengal4.gif (13KB, 250x153px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Wc1bengal4.gif
13KB, 250x153px
>>3430006
>you also need to face the right side of the tiger's claw sprite

I'm not sure about that, anon. I always go front, and I've never heard of sides mattering.
>>
>>3430008
You're suppose to fly spaceships with joysticks, not controllers!
>>
File: wcum.jpg (833KB, 2853x1745px) Image search: [Google]
wcum.jpg
833KB, 2853x1745px
Who remembers this beauty that came with WC Prophecy? The fact that the whole series used a consistent map always gave me such a hard-on.
>>
>>3430017
right side as in you need to face the front or at least have the landing strip visible

that's what i meant
>>
File: star5.jpg (84KB, 600x239px) Image search: [Google]
star5.jpg
84KB, 600x239px
>>3430027
Ah, my mistake.
>>
OP here, 4500 cycles works perfectly, got highscore on the FlightSim at the Bar.
>>
Are the sequels as good as the first? Do they follow the same structure of the story progressing even if you fail a mission, and wingmen coming and going, changing squadrons, and rising up the ranks, or are they more linear in that regard?
>>
File: star5redcircle.jpg (39KB, 600x239px) Image search: [Google]
star5redcircle.jpg
39KB, 600x239px
>>3430032
All I do is make sure I'm pointed toward this area marked with the red circle. I never worry about the angle.
>>
>>3430041
In 2, and 3 your wingmen can get shot down but won't die unless the story calls for it. In 4, some can die at any time and some are bound to the story. In 3, you don't change ranks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: Wc1-mission-tree.png (5KB, 235x185px) Image search: [Google]
Wc1-mission-tree.png
5KB, 235x185px
>>3430041
>>3430048
multiple paths (all games)
multiple endings (1,2, can't remember if 3)
story progressing if you fail a mission (all)
wingmen coming and going (all)
changing squadrons (all)
rising up the ranks (1,2,4)
>>
>>3430060
>rising up the ranks (1,2,4)

meant 1,2 and 5
>>
>>3430060
>>3430048

That's really cool.

Do you guys recommend playing all of them? I actually have 3 in physical format, I got it a long ass time ago from a friend of mine who didn't want it and gave it to me, but I didn't really like spacesims back then, so it remains untouched to this day. It's a really big ass box, with multiple CD-ROMS and manuals.
>>
>>3430060
4 also has multiple endings. 3 kind of does, but nothing important.
>>
>>3430064
It's really fun, grew up playing it on a MS flight stick and recently dosvox'd the series with a Logitech USB joystick and loved it just as much. Me and my buddy would hot seat it and take turns on deaths and such
>>
File: 18062004-36.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
18062004-36.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>3430064
3,4, and 5 have FMV cutscenes with studio sets and live actors. To a lot of people these days, that's a big turn-off. And admittedly, it can be very corny. But the gameplay, the most important thing, improves with every game in my opinion. 3, 4 and 5 greatly benefit from having 3d graphics and smooth framerates.

I say go for it, without a doubt. But I grew up with the games. I play 1 and 2 the most, but I go back to 3, 4 and 5 as well. If you like 1, the rest will gladly give you what you want and maybe more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28_W-cM2xg&list=PL_s0yc4Q1GI-e_LJgaTaQpiX3nvVvI489&index=4
>>
>>3430079
>>3430067

Nice. You guys think I can install 3 and run it from these old CDs? How compatible is it with modern pcs?
>>
>>3430084
Since it's a DOS game, you should be good to go just by using Dosbox. If you don't have any luck, I'd try the Gog version, but you should be fine.

http://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc3
>>
>>3429997
>why the fuck they stopped making these types of games
Game dev changed from a labor of love to a business. It's not profitable to add cool shit
>>
>>3430018
that thing has two itty-bitty joysticks right there
>>
>>3430112

Yeah, call me nostalgia-glassed or whatever, but I think it's undeniable that the DOS games we grew up with had so much more care put into them.

These were programmers testing out what was possible with the technology they had available, and putting all their influences and inspirations into a product that they themselves really wanted to play.

We get this time and again with some indie games that come out, but it's really rare. It used to be the norm.

I think there was a point when video games stopped being a hobby, and became an industry, and that really changed the whole dynamic of how things work in the business.
>>
>>3430131
>call me nostalgia-glassed or whatever
I'd not dare to. I think the transition is fairly noticeable. Be prepared to get shit from others though. The idea that people may do something because they enjoy it first and foremost, and not just to get paid, is entirely foreign to them.

As for the indies, they have the spirit, occasionally, but they're really damaged by modern games doing things very very wrong. That, and misguided "retro" ambitions stopped many a game from actually becoming something good.
>>
File: 15 (2).jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
15 (2).jpg
27KB, 400x300px
Reminder that there's an episode of Doug, "Doug's Lost Weekend", where he starts failing his classes because he can't stop thinking about his new game, Spacemunks (which is obviously Wing Commander)

Seen here in a terribly distorted youtube video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8t1otXppM
>>
>>3430169

Haha, I didn't even remember that episode.

Also, try Kiss Cartoon when looking for old cartoon episodes. They have the complete doug series there, in acceptable quality.
>>
>>3430084
I have the original CDs for WC3 and WC4. They work perfectly in DOSBox

Make images of the CDs - cycle through them with Ctrl-F4

The imgmount command has a character limit, so be thrifty with folder (and image) names

Here is my [autoexec] for WC3 -

mount c e:\dosgames
imgmount d "e:\dosgames\w\wc3-1.cue" "e:\dosgames\w\wc3-2.cue" "e:\dosgames\w\wc3-3.cue" "e:\dosgames\w\wc3-4.cue" -t iso
d:
wc3
exit
>>
>>3429973
It's too bad no-one has managed to mod the speech packs from the Sega CD version into the PC version.

All around the Sega CD version is a pretty solid port but it runs a bit slow, and the load times are kind of atrocious. They're not particularly long, but there are many pauses in the dialogue scenes which breaks immersion and they do add up. It's a shame we can't have the best of both.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of all my old PC game boxes. I only managed to save a handful of of them when my parents demanded I clear out my collection some 15-20 years ago when we moved, and Wing Commander didn't make it. "It's just empty cardboard and it's not worth anything." Oh how little they knew. Only boxed copy of WC I own is the Sega CD version that I bought in a shop for a few bucks.
>>
>>3430201

Thanks a lot, man. I'll save this for later reference.
>>
File: wc2supplydepot.png (108KB, 328x209px) Image search: [Google]
wc2supplydepot.png
108KB, 328x209px
>>3430079
Using torpedoes in 2, 3, 4 and 5 to kill capital ships felt so satisfying. It could almost be a fetish.
>>
>>3430212
I thought it was kind of tedious. It took forever and nothing was really a threat to you because you'd clear out the fighters before doing it because it took so damn long and you couldn't break contact.

Flying broadsword and longbow were my favorites though because they felt so huge and had huge guns.
>>
File: wc1screenshot18.gif (17KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
wc1screenshot18.gif
17KB, 640x400px
>>3429939
I remember when I found out I could press n and switch waypoints in order to avoid asteroid fields, or just fly around them altogether. After that, I could actually play the game.
>>
the only thing that bugs me, is that WCnews, loaf and even chris had received the source code, and its even on the WCnews website so everyone may see it

but then

>you cant use it to create a source port, because EA...

i would be happy if someone here at /vr/, could dabble with that a bit and create something like a GZWing Commander
>>
>>3430008
>I love playing precision games with MASSIVE fucking deadzones
>>
>>3430060
It's weird though, how did they even expect you to lose in Enyo except on purpose?
>>
>>3430206
The worst thing about WC1, 3 and 4 is the fact that the source code was given out to fans and then they never released it.

If that came out, it would be SO easy to mod that in, you know?
>>
>>3430895
Oh, that anon beat me to it here >>3430680

Still really ass though. I think all old PC games should just be open sourced after a while since they just rot eventually.
>>
>>3430680
don't source port it, just provide a patch file, or patch tree, that just so happens to patch the original source into something that plays very well on modern hardware. The patch on its own does nothing, no harm in making and distributing it, it can't infringe. And as you said, the original source is available, so it's easy for people to patch it with code they found online.
>>
>>3430904
>The original source code is available

Not him, but the source code is not available. Not to the general public, that is. Wcnews has it, a couple others have it, but they have never leaked it as far as I know. I wish they would.
>>
>>3430008

I have one of those.

You were too cheap to just buy an Xbox One controller, yeah?
>>
>>3430768
GTFO, no-fun nigger.
>>
>>3430026
Damn, I wish the GBA version came with that!
>>
>>3434247
Yeah, I was. It was $21.39 at Best Buy after they matched Amazon's price.
>>
File: sm1_snes_advertisement.jpg (145KB, 717x973px) Image search: [Google]
sm1_snes_advertisement.jpg
145KB, 717x973px
>>3434394
No worries, friend. Here's a high quality .png of it, as well as documents from the rest of the series.

http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Category:Manuals_and_Game_Documentation#Wing_Commander:_Prophecy
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.