[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is SCART the best kind of cable to use for consoles like SNES/N64/Wii/PS2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: scart-stecker.jpg (41KB, 425x319px) Image search: [Google]
scart-stecker.jpg
41KB, 425x319px
Is SCART the best kind of cable to use for consoles like SNES/N64/Wii/PS2?

Do you use SCART to HDMI adapters or do they cause image quality loss?
>>
If you want to upscale rgb, do it correctly with a framemeister.
>>
>>3429736
Never heard of that. I just want the best way to hook an old console up to a modern TV
>>
>>3429748
Well for Wii and PS2 just use component cables and switch to/force progressive scan. For interlaced only consoles if you insist on using an hdtv you'll want to upscale correctly with something like a framemeister. Some scart to hdmi adapter will introduce significant lag and/or any number of other shits. Also, only fat SNES can output RGB without modification and ALL N64s require mods for RGB.
>>
>>3429776
>for Wii and PS2 just use component cables
Okay, already got component cables for those, so that's done

>For interlaced only consoles... Framemeister
I'll look into this more - looks like yo plug in either composite or s-video, then HDMI to TV. If that's what is best for SNES/64 then that's what I'll do. I've currently just got composite for both. I could have sworn I heard SCART was best for SNES.

>fat SNES
I have an original PAL SNES, I'm guessing it's probably not 'fat'?

>ALL N64s require mods for RGB
Fine I can live without it.
>>
>>3429794
Framemeisters do accept composite and svideo but they do best with rgb they even come with an adapter to plug Euro scart into their jap format port. I'm not sure exactly what the deal with Euro snes and rgb is. Since you're euro I'll assume your hdtv already has a scart input and you're unhappy with the quality of it's internal upscaler. Framemeister is a much much better upscaler.
>>
>>3429712
NES: HDMI (Hi-Def NES) or CSync RGB SCART
PS1: Sync-on-Luma RGB SCART
SNES: CSync RGB SCART
Genesis: CSync RGB SCART
N64: HDMI (UltraHDMI) or CSync RGB SCART
GameCube: Component
PS2: Sync-on-Green RGB SCART
Wii: Component
>>
>>3429816
cool thanks

if your tv is hdmi only, is this where the framemeister will help?
>>
>>3429837
If you TV only has HDMI inputs, then it's a digital HDTV. So yes, the Framemeister will help a lot for upscaling low-res consoles that use analog signals.
>>
>>3429748
why
>>
File: psx.png (6KB, 488x278px) Image search: [Google]
psx.png
6KB, 488x278px
>>3429816
>PS1: Sync-on-Luma RGB SCART

What is pic related pinout called? How do you make a Sync-On-Luma cable, can't find pinouts...
>>
File: ps2-pinout.png (11KB, 364x196px) Image search: [Google]
ps2-pinout.png
11KB, 364x196px
>>3429860
As I understand it I have to use PIN 5 on the PS AV connector for Sync instead on PIN 6?
>>
>>3429857
It's all I have right now. Good CRT's are hard to find
>>
>>3429860
>>3429868
ask in /g/, /vr/ is full of weeboos without any technical knowledge nowadays
>>
>>3429748
Don't. Use an emulator. Do not fall for the "framemeister" meme.
>>
>>3429712

I've had a weird setup that was born out of curiousity and convienience.

old consoles (s-video) -> hdmi converter -> hdmi matrix -> output 1 straight to tv; output 2 -> component converter -> vga converter -> projector

input lag was surprisingly low and the hdmi conversion was very, very good.

I still think that RGB -> Framemeister is the best option but S-video -> hdmi was affordable and very good.
>>
File: slowpoke[1].png (12KB, 312x295px) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke[1].png
12KB, 312x295px
>>3430372
>I converted analog to digital then fucking back to analog then ran it through DLP and the delay was suprisingly low
>>
File: IMG_20160605_003401.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_003401.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3429712
Don't get confused, scart is just the carrier of the signal rather than the signal itself. What you want is rgbsync. That is separate lines for all 3 colours plus a sync line. Most consoles that support rgb had scar t cables available but not all. Some people in the USA don't bother with scar t because of there being no support for it on the output or input end and that is understandable. You can wire the however you like and scar t and scar t adapter s won't always work necessarily hope you might think they work. Beyond that, having any of these signals work on a HDTV is next to impossible to do without it looking like ass due to the shoddy upscaling almost all modern TVs do. Your options are to use an external upscaler which are either expensive (xrgb mini et al) or crappy and laggy (you might as well emulate). The simplest/cheapest option is to use an actual CRT. I personally have a mini but I get that's not for everyone and before that I had various CRTs including professional and broadcast grade.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.