[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So there's a new PSX emulator called PGXP that fixes ge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 27

File: Ch3TOvl[1].png (1MB, 3200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ch3TOvl[1].png
1MB, 3200x1200px
So there's a new PSX emulator called PGXP that fixes geometry and textures. Now PS1 in HD looks more like old PC games.

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=pgxp&sp=CAI%253D
>>
File: Rage Racer.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Rage Racer.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>3427406
Thanks?
>>
File: pgxp before and after.png (1MB, 2757x925px) Image search: [Google]
pgxp before and after.png
1MB, 2757x925px
Aother example.

Left is epsxe.

Right is pgxp.
>>
>>3427408
>4chan textures
How?
>>
>>3427448
You can texture hack Playstation games...

Nah just kiddin :^) Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4 has decal editors
>>
>>3427406
New? It's a fork of PCSXR.
>>
File: PSD3D233.png (254KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PSD3D233.png
254KB, 1920x1080px
>>3427473
Oh, I love editors.
>>
>>3427406
How accurate is the emulation itself compared to epsxe and mednafen?
>>
>just downloaded epsxe today
fuck up my shit senpai
>>
>>3427694
You cant really call it accurate since the output obviously doesn't look like a real console.
>>
>>3427406
Didn't mednafen had this feature?
Also i can't see any god damned difference.
>>
>>3427694
considering it's using the plugin system and applying corrections, you can probably guess that accuracy is not high on their feature list
>>
>>3427801
mednafen would not do any corrections, their purpose is accuracy. As for the differences, look at the wall on the front right
>>
>>3427807
I see. That's all?
I meant a shader not the emulator.
>>
>>3427809
Yes, that is all. The whole purpose of PGXP is to correct the zigzag distorted textures at low angles.
And no, a pixel shader cannot do that, on mednafen or anywhere else
>>
>>3427812
It's not much but it's nice, i hope a core comes to retroarch.
>>
>tfw I still use epsxe
this shit never works properly with anything, it feels like zsnes now, I guess I should be on that mednafen kick these days?
>>
>>3427834
give mednafen a try, see if it works for you. epsxe and mednafen have different purposes. Mednafen tries to presevere PS behavior where possible. That includes slowdowns, resolution, stuff like that. Its configuration is largely for the interface, like your controller, and the setup of your screen. You can not tune the emulator as such. Meanwhile epsxe/pcsxr is more about making PS games look and run as good as possible, even if that may not match the original hardware. As such they include a lot of mechanisms to deal with shortcomings of the PS, like its rendering mechanisms, slowdowns, resolution and so on.
>>
>>3427842
You can run Mednafen at higher resolution via the fork in Retroarch.
It's extremely CPU intensive so don't expect more than x2.
>>
>>3427406
Fucking shit says "configuration not OK" after I add the plugins and bios, only link cable is the one blank yet previous versions of pcsxr work fine, what a piece of shit.
>>
>>3427873
there's a very experimental fork in progress that does most of the rendering on the GPU too
>>
File: 1450645482707.jpg (11KB, 118x176px) Image search: [Google]
1450645482707.jpg
11KB, 118x176px
How does Steiner's face looks with this new crap?
>>
File: autism.jpg (50KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
50KB, 514x536px
Is there a way to correct the geometry but to leave 2D elements alone? I'm trying to play breath of fire 3 with this on a tube TV through a VGA cord & it looks like ass.

Is this only meant for 100% 3D games?
>>
>>3427410
Nice try. The image from the right is from the n64 version.
>>
>>3427406
I still find it odd how Silent Hill 1 wasn't ported to PC, but all the other games were. 5th gen was THE gen with the most console/PC overlap, while 6th gen was the one with the least.
>>
>>3427694

PGXP is a fork of PCSXR. It uses OGL 1.78 and OGL2 plugins found in epsxe and pcsxr. So the accuracy is decent. The main appeal is the new features.

>>3427801
>Didn't mednafen had this feature?

No. Medanfen is just native res + software rendering. It has no enhancements. Beetle-libretro, the fork for RetroArch has some enhancements but no texture perspective correction.

>Also i can't see any god damned difference.

Look at harry's face, the fence, the roof of the building behind him, or the bricks to the right. See >>3427410 for a more extreme example.
>>
>>3427895
>but to leave 2D elements alone?

You mean the texture filtering? It does xbr filtering by default. You can turn it off entirely or use bilinear filtering. It's in the .ini config.
>>
Why would you want to break the original designer's vision?

They knew how the ps1 messed with lines so they designed tye look of the game with this in mind.
>>
>>3427406
Don't like it, doesn't look good in motion, you can see how it struggles to fix the textures.

Plus it's retro gaming, what kind of pleb doesn't like texture stretching and flickering?
>>
>>3428523
>Don't like it, doesn't look good in motion, you can see how it struggles to fix the textures.

It looks fine in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G97SxZ88wg

>Plus it's retro gaming, what kind of pleb doesn't like texture stretching and flickering?

I never liked it.
>>
>>3428530
Yeah, in that game it does.

Check out the playlist in OP, you can see black spots everywhere where its trying to fix the geometry, it takes you right out of the game.

It's a product of its time so it doesn't bother me.
>>
>>3428543
>you can see black spots everywhere where its trying to fix the geometry,

That's because it's incomplete. The plugin is being worked on and improved all the time. When a game does not work perfectly with it, some geometry is fixed, some isn't. This leads to black gaps.
>>
>>3428543
>It's a product of its time so it doesn't bother me.
That's fine, but other people want to use emulators to make improvements.
>>
>>3427873
>fork
that's the keyword here. It's forked. Original mednafen doesn't do it, and the author made clear they have no intentions to change that
>>
>>3428563
>This leads to black gaps.
I know, I'm seeing it, that's why I'm pointing out.
>The plugin is being worked on and improved all the time
Well that's a given, but as of now, I prefer the shit geometry, it's part of the charm.

>>3428569
And that's fine, it's ok to be a pleb.
>>
>>3427623
>actually liking memes
back to /v/ plz
>>
>>3429013
>>This leads to black gaps.
>I know, I'm seeing it, that's why I'm pointing out.

A bunch of those vids are old too, and pgxp has since fixed those gaps.
>>
>>3429013
>Well that's a given, but as of now, I prefer the shit geometry, it's part of the charm.

LITERALLY nostalgia faggotry.
>>
>>3429101
Oh really? Well, I'll try it out sometime.

>>3429145
>LITERALLY nostalgia faggotry.
>nostalgia
>in /vr/
Noooooo, you think?
>>
File: 1471297724114[1].gif (127KB, 436x447px) Image search: [Google]
1471297724114[1].gif
127KB, 436x447px
>>
Is there a ps1 emulator that plays the ps1 intro every time you start a game? This is important.
>>
>>3429897
This has to do with the bios, look for info regarding an original PS1 Bios as there are now generic ones (legal too in a sense for epsxe)
>>
>>3429897
pSX plays the BEEEEEOOOOWWWWWW instantly everytime you run the emulator. It's also a non-enhancement emulator so it's pretty faithful and requires no setup other than controller mapping.
>>
Okay, so how does Megaman Legends look on the emulator? I'm kinda lazy to do the setup right now can anyone compare Legends 1 &2 ? I was gonna play the game on the original PsONE or Ps3 hardware (for upscaling), but you guys just wreked the whole deal so now I need some answers...
>>
>>3430146
this has always been my favorite emulator to use for playstation games, but it seems to get shit on cause its discontinued and doesn't work with everything.

but the shit it works for I have no complaints about
>>
>>3427406
I like my jiggly polys.
>>
>>3430263
My two favorite things about pSX is how it retains dithering quite well, and pressing tab can show you the game resolution, which really helps when you need to fact check before arguing on /vr/.
>>
>>3428369
>PGXP is a fork of PCSXR. It uses OGL 1.78 and OGL2 plugins found in epsxe and pcsxr. So the accuracy is decent. The main appeal is the new features.

Is there a way to get PGXP to work in ePSXe? I've tried PCSX on three different PCs, and it won't work.
>>
>>3430582

pgxp is a fork of pcsxr.

blame the epsxe devs for making their emu closed source thus impossible to fork. They're greedy JEWS.
>>
>>3430828
They also charge for their emulator on mobile devices, the greedy bastards
>>
File: 1251241251151.gif (968KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1251241251151.gif
968KB, 245x245px
>2016
>plebs using epsxe and pSX over mednafen
>>
File: 14410276209710.jpg (82KB, 497x635px) Image search: [Google]
14410276209710.jpg
82KB, 497x635px
>>3430842
>mednafen not being a slideshow
>mednafen working on android
>mednafen for anything but "look ma, I can play it in 10 fps but it is sooooo0000 accurate"
>>
>>3430857
get a better rig mate also it's a WIP
>>
>>3430857
>get a better rig mate

>Every psx emulator works with no a single drop in fps except mednafen, even ps2 emus work fine.
>need for a better rig

>it's a WIP
Like every other emulator.
>>
>>3430857
There are two ways to develop an emulator.

One is, to give it the rough functions it needs, then throw a ROM at it. It will break instantly, but that's fine. You fix what's broken, use the ROM again, it breaks elsewhere. You keep doing that a couple thousand times. Eventually the ROM will work fully. So you take the next ROM, see what works. Probably a lot, because the feature set required overlaps a lot between ROMs. So you just fix the remainng broken shit. The advantage of this approach is that you have something running at good performance very quickly.

The other approach comes from a different direction. At first you implement all aspects of the emulated machine as precisely as possible. That is, you pay attention to clock cycles, synching the CPUs, bus widths and all that shit. When you're done with it, your emulator can, theoretically, run every single ROM the orginal machine can handle. However, since the implementation was straightforward, it is not optimized for performance. Unless you're emulating a very old system, you'll likely have issues with running the thing in realtime. You may not like it, but as far as an emulator is concerned, it's "done". Realtime is often not as much a requirement as all the other features. Regardless, once you're at this point, you can indeed invest some time in refactoring the emulator. That is, you keep all the functions it has, but rewrite them here and there to get rid of bottlenecks. What are bottlenecks? You measure them, by running a debug build of your emulator.

The endgame of these approaches is similar, yet not identical. The first approach will run most stuff, sometimes better than the original hardware. It may rely on hacks, but it works, and most of the time, that's the only thing that matters to people using it to play games. The second approach simply relies on host hardware gaining performance over time. Hardware has historically become more powerful, that is likely to last.
>>
>>3430870
what I couldn't fit in that post: The first approach is usually by people who want the old programs to work, that's their goal. If they can make it work better, even cooler. The second approach is preferred by people that want to replicate the hardware. That, of course, such a replication happens to be able to run all programs is an inevitable result, but not necessarily the goal. As such, whether you may like it or not, the realtime aspect, while desirable, is not considered a requirement to these people.
>>
>>3430870
Here is the thing.
ePSXe has interpreter AND dynamic recompiler.
You want accuracy, you switch to interpreter, you want speed, you switch to dynarec.
With epsxe either option provides good compatibility and performance but dynarec provides performance superior to every other emulator on PC or android at the same time being the most compatible and playable emulator on either platform.

You can make the most accurate emulator ever but if its not playable for majority of people then its not worth shit for anyone but you.
As for epsxe accuracy, it can play front mission 3 without crashes and at 60 fps on a tablet I bought for $50.
>>
EPSXE is a scam
>>
>>3430889
>You want accuracy, you switch to interpreter, you want speed, you switch to dynarec.
it's never this simple. You can write a basic interpreter, or a really sophisticated one, trying to replicate the CPU as closely as possible. You can also JIT the code into something that behaves fairly closely to the original. There's no need for a recompiler to be shallow

>You can make the most accurate emulator ever but if its not playable for majority of people then its not worth shit for anyone but you
No, if it's not playable in realtime it's useless to people that use emulators to play, which sucks, but is not the end of the world, or the project. It's still highly valuable to people that enjoy tinkering with the hardware, running a debugger, homebrewing and much more. Emulators are not all about playing games. I personally don't do any of these things on most emulators, though I do use one for development (different system). Just because it won't cover your usecase, don't dismiss it.
>>
>>3430420
I like messing with the register values in the debugger.
>>
>>3430896
Its free, how the fuck it its a scam?
Like, here is a piece of software that is arguably the best at what it does and we give it for free, I am not seeing how I am being scamed righ here.
>>
>>3430889
>As for epsxe accuracy, it can play front mission 3 without crashes and at 60 fps on a tablet I bought for $50.
That's not accurate though FM3 crashes on actual playstation hardware
>>
>>3430941
Not once happened to me on actual ps tho.
On other emulators it is crashing constantly or run like ass, on pcsxr there is even some fucking bug where if you destroy wanzer which has legs already destroyed you will encounter a crash, on pcsxr core for retroarch or android version of retroarch FM3 just crashing randomly during battles.
On epsxe, it runs on android or PC on a fucking calculator full speed and not even crashing.

Say what you want but epsxe team did awesome job with this emu and currently there is no better emulator plain and simple.
It has all, stability, performance, accuracy and plugin support, shame they dropped W32 but whatever.
>>
File: apontadl_img_destacada1.png (89KB, 846x635px) Image search: [Google]
apontadl_img_destacada1.png
89KB, 846x635px
>>3430903
>Its free
>free
>>
>>3430961
Well, its free for PC which has the biggest userbase anyway.
Android systems are not vidya dedicated and if they getting some cash for developing this thing they I dont mind, unless they actually start selling epsxe on PC and even then, you might dislike the fact you're not getting free shit but there is nothing saying they have to release it for free, not fucking communism bro.
>>
>>3430957
it doesn't look authentic tho
>>
>>3431006
which is probably perfectly fine, if not a feature, for the people that use and enjoy epsxe. I got to admit though, that shill is needlessly aggressive
>>
File: EtPOZtG[1].png (616KB, 3200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
EtPOZtG[1].png
616KB, 3200x1200px
http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/

Official forum thread
>>
File: get a loaf of this fagg.jpg (163KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
get a loaf of this fagg.jpg
163KB, 500x380px
>>3430961
>buying it
>not just downloading it for free
>>
>>3431006

>muh authenticity
>>
>>3429897

xebra does
>>
>>3431049
I don't understand which exact plugin name I'm supposed to use. Can I use "P.E.Op.S. PSX OpenGL Renderer" instead of the OGL2 one? I want to use it because software FVP stuff allows MSAA.
>>
File: 1457945253041.png (177KB, 1242x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457945253041.png
177KB, 1242x480px
Can someone clarify for me? So the left image is the true resolution of FFT and the right is how it shows up on crt?
>>
>>3432543
lots of different PSX games have different resolutions, so the left isnt always accurate.
>>
>>3432586
Yeah, I was specifically asking for FFT. Do all PSX games get stretched to 640x480 when played on crt?
>>
>>3432543
>>3432597
>518x480 vs 640x480
Aside from that resolution being off of what the PS1 could do, the left looks way too thin. Admittedly, I've played maybe 15 minutes of FFT.

I have a feeling it was running in 320x240 mode rather than 256x240, which even that doesn't match.
>>
>>3432604
Left is supposed to be 512x480. Left may look thin but the pixels are perfect squares. Isn't that how it's intended to be played and not stretched out?
>>
File: DSC03456s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03456s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>3432623
Pixels are not always implicitly perfect squares, especially when you're dealing with analog video and retro video game consoles.
PS1 apparently has a PAR(pixel aspect ratio) of 8:7 when in 256px mode, and one of 32:35 in 320px mode. That would mean not only would the pixels be slightly wider for the left, but they would also be stretched to fit the standard CRT's 4:3 display aspect ratio. In turn, they'd be thinner for the right

Looking around a bit, the left is indeed the correct technical aspect ratio, but not being displayed as intended. The right in turn is too stretched out.

>Do all PSX games get stretched to 640x480
CRTs don't do resolutions in the same way that digital, fixed pixel displays do.
An SD CRT would take the 256x240 output of the PS1(the proper resolution of FFT) and display it AS 256x240; Only being stretched to fit it's 4:3 aspect ratio. The image itself is wider, but it's still the original 256x240 resolution.

For the proper output as you'd get on an actual PS1 and CRT, you'd want to have the left image stretched to match the aspect ratio of the right. Possibly an issue for fixed pixel displays, and may require some horizontal blurring to deal with the extra pixels required to do that without making everything look like shit.
Using a higher resolution could help to mitigate those issues.
>>
>>3431049
I can't see any difference on that pic. Also, what game is that? Looks like a FF game but that background is ridiculously low res. Is that what it's like?
>>
>>3432543
That ground "texture" reminds me of Mario RPG.
>>
>>3427406

looks amazing
really hyped to play the objectively poorest generation of games when you forgo all the hype of great sales the system had back when gaming was extremely primitive and your tastes in video games were also shit because you were much younger.

most of us have either thrown their ps1 system away in the trash, or sold it online to other 30 year old manchildren who cling onto these pathetic games

please wash the yellow asian piss away from your eyes
>>
File: Bioshock_2009-01-09_04-43-59-78.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Bioshock_2009-01-09_04-43-59-78.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
>>3430828
>>3430834

>Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow ?!
>NO says Moscow ! It belongs to everyone!
>>
>>3432915

>I have nothing better to do with my time: the post
>>
This shite is a godsend.
>>
>>3433105
Art is not work. It's charity.
>>
>>3432865
You will have a very hard time seeing differences. The only things that can show differences are polygons that are not planar with the screen. That is, any polygons on the characters. However, these polygons are very small, so any distortion is likely minimal. It's a really bad screenshot to show the effect
>>
>>3432865
>>3433247
It's a zoomed in picture of Chrono Cross which uses pre-rendered backgrounds. Admittedly, games that use 3D models overlayed on pre-rendered backgrounds are probably the games that benefit most of all from this such thing, but it's my opinion that in games that use fully 3D environments and models, smoothing the edges of the polygons and correcting the non-planar texture warp only draws attention excessively to the existing low poly and low res assets, while leaving the distortions as they are, and displaying in the original resolution/aspect ratio maintains a sort of gritty surreality that fully absolves the visuals of any sort of uncanny valley or mismatch.

There are a few games that benefit from a hardware improvement however i.e. playing Vagrant Story on a PS3
>>
>>3433271
here's your chance to say how any of that rambling answers >>3432865 that hasn't been said in >>3433247 and why you're responding to >>3433247 to begin with
>>
>>3433271
>games that use 3D models overlayed on pre-rendered backgrounds are probably the games that benefit most of all from this such thing
least. The effects of the fix are in the pixel range, invisible unless you create a direct diff of the images

>draws attention excessively to the existing low poly and low res assets
a lot of people like them. Your post assumes that low poly is shit

>hardware improvement however i.e. playing Vagrant Story on a PS3
where's the improved hardware? Aren't PS games fully emulated on that thing?
>>
>>3433297
>a lot of people like them. Your post assumes that low poly is shit
I think you're misinterpreting what I said? I stated that arbitrarily enhancing the display resolution and making use of better hardware to display the low poly with cleaner edges is a detriment to it's overall aesthetic
>where's the improved hardware? Aren't PS games fully emulated on that thing?
The PS3 makes some subtle enhancements that are impossible on the original hardware. it tends to look okay because they never really go overboard.
>least. The effects of the fix are in the pixel range, invisible unless you create a direct diff of the images
the fact that it's a small difference is what makes it acceptable to me, it seems that it fixes the inaccuracies that show up when a detailed model is significantly zoomed out, which I find to be desirable in this case
>>
>>3433327
>it seems that it fixes the inaccuracies that show up when a detailed model is significantly zoomed out
it doesn't. The function acts on the textures, not the vertices. If your vertices are only a few pixels apart, there's very little this function can do
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsgIZvfMUno

new vid.
>>
>>3427960
That doesn't seem right to me. Console/PC overlap was rare in the '80s, began to spread in the '90s (Tomb Raider, Doom, even Mortal Kombat and Final Fantasy), was everywhere in the '00s and is now so nearly ubiquitous that the term "Exclusive" is meaningless.

Unless you're Nintendo.
>>
>>3428523
>what kind of pleb doesn't like texture stretching and flickering?
The same plebs who use WASD over ⇧⇩⇦⇨ in Doom.
>>
>>3433951
Kill yourself you pathetic memefaggot
>>
>>3427794
Talking about outside of the specific function it serves ya smarty pants.
>>
>>3429509
NOT HOW THE DEVS INTENDED
IT WAS MEANT TO LOOK JITTERY AND NAUSEA INDUCING, THE DEVS MODELED EVERYTHING ACCORDINGLY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3433105
That would assume they did all the work. No they borrowed from the work and research of others who gave it away for free. They're looked down on just as much as Cemu for a reason.
>>
>>3427406
I'm glad to see stuff like this happening. But I hope accuracy emulation doesn't die as a result. It's important for games to be able to work in their original forms in order to have accurate data about them for future generations and for continued work on other emulators.

That said, it's really nice to see emulation that make older games look cleaner. I would kill for a modern game like Silent Hill 1 again.
>>
>>3430873
That seems strange. I've heard plenty of opinions for the second camp stating that they want games to run realtime properly, but ACCURATELY. As in, at the original speed that the hardware provided.

Usually the first camp is the first to get working emulators because that's the easiest, but most trial and error way of making emulators. But the second camp is far more accurate and stable but obviously requires more overhead by the computers. Most emulators past PS1 aren't possible to be completely accurate as it would require computers years ahead of our time.

But theoretically it's still possible to make emulators of even the PS4 and Xbox One on modern systems if you just use the trial and error fix method because you're specifically running code to optimize for each game instead of truly emulating the hardware.
>>
>>3434693
>I've heard plenty of opinions for the second camp stating that they want games to run realtime properly, but ACCURATELY
indeed. Accurate first, realtime second. They won't dismiss realtime, but it's not their priority. It's almost shades of grey, instead of simple black and white
>>
>>3434535
>IT WAS MEANT TO LOOK JITTERY AND NAUSEA INDUCING
AND ONLY MORE NOTICEABLE WHEN YOU PLAY IT ON HIGHER RESOLUTIONS USING A COMPUTER SCREEN AND TECHNOLOGY FAR MORE ADVANCED THAN WHAT DEVELOPERS IN THE 90'S HAD TO DEAL WITH
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3434668
>But I hope accuracy emulation doesn't die as a result.

In the future we'll get shaders to restore the jittery polygons.
>>
>>3435120
So I should either blind myself or play every older game to death while CRTs still exist. OK
>>
>>3435392
Not really suggesting that (though it really helps if you play the game utilizing the latter choice) but if you think either option is fine, then go ahead. Whatever floats your boat :^)
>>
>>3435120

reeeeeeeee
>>
File: Clipboarder.2016.08.18.png (12KB, 363x527px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboarder.2016.08.18.png
12KB, 363x527px
>>3429897
ePSXe can do that startup thing with the "-slowboot" command line option. I'm not sure if such an option is available for PCSXr because the Windows version gets no love from the devs. I'm not sure about Medanafen but it's probably hidden as some obscure command line option like every other basic feature with that emu.
>>
>>3429897
what's the ps1 intro?
>>
>>3437028
That worked. Thank you.
>>
>>3437047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAhvQoLpvsM
>>
>>3437227
isn't that like always-on on mednafen?
>>
>>3429897
mednafen, the best ps1 emulator
>>
>>3427410
What game is that?
>>
>>3437745
pgxp
>>
iCatButler is a god among men.
>>
>>3437921

And the dev of bladesoft is a turbo cunt. He's been working on the same thing for years, but has released nothing. We could have had this years ago.
>>
>>3438249
>He's been working on the same thing for years, but has released nothing
do they owe you?
>>
>>3428543
Holes happen on real hardware, see the first video in that playlist. He's started work on fixing the PS1's polygon culling, which will hopefully lead into fixing holes too.
http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/#post-2513705
>>
>>3429897
>>3437028
mednafen always does it by default, and PCSX-R has the option for slowboot in the CPU settings.
>>
>>3437921
I recall this guy made a pixel perfect video plugin for n64 or something. He's the hero we need.
>>
>>3433241
>emulator
>art

>art
>charity
No, and no.
>>
>>3438262

Closed source means that no one shares anything or learns from ti. It means that everyone has to independently come up with everything. It slows down development. It's total bullshit. Epsxe has added NOTHING to PS1 emulation.
>>
>>3438478
That was HatCat, whoops. maybe not the same person
>>
>>3432543
You can just load up the iso in pSX and press tab in-game to see real resolution.
>>
File: RetroArch-0722-225351.png (36KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0722-225351.png
36KB, 256x240px
>>3432543
>>3438843
You can also take native resolution screenshots in retroarch by turning off GPU screenshot.
>>
>>3438847

>Hokuten knights
>word is literally just not translated
>>
>>3440229
>Not enjoying hilarious PS1 translations.
What are you gay Anon? It still is better than the retranslation we got later.
>>
I have ePSXe and it looks identical to the image on the right, no idea what you people are talking about.
>>
>>3440271

Post screenshots please.
>>
File: ePSXe 2016-08-20 13-40-34-69.jpg (63KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2016-08-20 13-40-34-69.jpg
63KB, 1152x864px
>>3440278
>>
>>3440340
Rendered at a lower resolution with the model closer to the screen, and the geometry still isn't right. Plus, look at the textures on the wall on the right.
>>
>>3440346
So how do I fix what you described?
>>
>>3440351
By using PGXP. ePSXe's GTE hack doesn't so as good a job as PGXP, and it doesn't have texture correction.
>>
>>3440356
But I have numerous saves in my games on ePSXe.
>>
>>3440361
Memory card files are compatible between the emulators.
>>
>>3440251
Good thing we aren't restricted to translations any more.
>>
>>3438310
The first video in the playlist is not on real hardware. Holes do not happen on real hardware, because vertices are used for multiple triangles. No matter what pixel a vertex snaps to, it affects all triangles using that vertex. Even if a triangle or two disappear, their space is then taken up by the adjacent triangles. The holes are a result of the subpixel positioning introduced in PGXP
>>
>>3427954
I know you're joking but it isn't a blurry mess
>>
File: RRT4 flyby.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
RRT4 flyby.webm
3MB, 426x240px
Testing my first PGXP webm
>>
>>3440814
damn bootyful
>>
>>3440814

Shit nigga. That shit is gorgeous. Kinda looks like N64 but with way better textures.

Record that properly in HD and upload it to Youtube. Doing other intros, replays or cinematics in PGXP would be great too.
>>
>>3440930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKgNn9FssY

You're lucky because this just finished uploading. Watch it in 1080p because the nearest neighbor textures don't get smudged there.
>>
File: Analyissi.png (883KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
Analyissi.png
883KB, 1152x864px
>>3440340
>>3440340

The distortions don't happen all the time and depend a lot on the camera angle.

But still I can detect some already. Harry's face looks kinda weird. The bricks on the right are not straight. And the shingles on the roof in the back are not straight.
>>
>>3440374
enjoy your shitty ass textures and geometry
>>
>>3440403
This was the first video in the playlist at the time of that post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtDoOd0k-WY
And yes, holes absolutely do happen on real hardware.
>>
>>3440403
Holes and leaks happen in the early Ridge Racer games on real hardware.
>>
>>3440814
shit looks ps2 level
>>
>>3442430
I know the game's terrible and the emulator fuckery is not helping it, but why insult it like that?
>>
>>3440932
Damn that's great. And that game was beautiful to begin with
>>
Question is, can it actually run wipeout 2097? Most emulators cant
>>
>>3442628
>Most emulators cant
the what now?
>>
>>3442629
Cant run it properly rather
>>
>>3442808
what are they doing wrong, according to you?
>>
>>3442814
Soumd or black screen for me.
>>
>>3442823
sounds like user error. Good luck
>>
>>3440814
i seriously though it was gta v in first few seconds.
>>
>>3442435
Pretty sure he's saying that PS1 game is so great it looks like a PS2 game.
>>
>>3442980
pretty sure I'm saying PS2 looks like shit, and they shouldn't insult a passable looking PS game like that
>>
So I got my GL2Tweak plugin and everything working but some of the models still seem to be jittering when it's just standing there, is this normal? Is my PGXP thing not working?
>>
>>3443398
Okay nevermind. I just tried it with the untweaked plugin and it's a fucking earthquake in my window. So my question now, is PGXP not supposed to eliminate 100% of the jitter?
>>
>>3443398
I have no idea, I don't know what all that techno babble in the ini is. Is there a guide?
>>
nothing to do with the pgxp emulator, but it's ps1 emulator related.
I'm using a wireless ps3 controller when I'm playing. Are there any programs that can link the escape key to my controller?
I want it to be a two button trigger. Like triangle and select.
>>
Has anyone done some tests on Vagrant Story? That shit must look fantastic
>>
File: DS3 Tool.png (80KB, 618x755px) Image search: [Google]
DS3 Tool.png
80KB, 618x755px
>>3443420
>Can I map [keyboard key] to my controller?
Yes

>I want it to be a combo button trigger
No, but just do it like my screenshot and map it to your PS button if you aren't using it already.

It's called DS3 Tool. Remember MotionInJoy? Remember how it's chinese malware? You are meant to download MotionInJoy and use it to install the device driver only then dump it in the trash immediately. Then you use DS3 Tool to substitute it when you interface with it.

DS3 Tool allows you to create from the following templates:
>DirectInput
>XInput
>Keyboard/Mouse
>PCSX2

I highly recommend you to create your preset from the Keyboard/Mouse profile because it includes gamepad buttons, axes AND keyboard keys altogether, oddly enough.
>>
>>3443446
Holy shit! It was just under my nose the entire time. I already have DS3 Tool, but I've followed the guides online and used xinput instead of keyboard/mouse mapping. Thanks alot. I could kiss you!
Also fuck motionjoy. I downloaded only the driver from a zip file and installed it myself
>>
>>3443446
l3 and r3 are button 9 and 10 right?
>>
>>3443495
Yes, but you can make them any number you want, the pool goes up to 20 buttons.

>>3443483
Note that you can also use DS3 Tool to convert trigger axes to digital buttons in case triggers don't get recognized in modern PC games.
>>
>>3443502
ok how to I make the emulator find my controller when it's not xinput anymore?
>>
>>3443513
There's no reason why your emulator needs to "find" your controller, unless you are using an XInput plugin for the emulator. Just use a regular plugin. If shit doesn't work for no reason, close the emulator, open DS3 Tool and apply your profile again to be safe.
>>
Is it me or are rhythm games unplayable on emulator? My timing always seems a bit off and I don't remember having this much trouble when playing on console.
>>
>>3444129
rhythm games suffer the most from lag as their input happens well below reaction time. They rely on the input being "synched" to the output (music and visual clues). Usually the beat maps on rhythm games are tuned to account for any delay the system itself may have. So on an emulator you may be constantly off by a ms or two. You can still beat it by intentionally going off-beat, doing your input just a tiny bit earlier. But that's not the purpose of a rhythm game, so do it on your own risk
>>
>>3444129

Yes. There's tons of ways lag is added in emulation.

LCDs themselves add a lot. People often use wireless controllers. Emulation tends to add lag. etc.
>>
>>3444236
>LCDs themselves add a lot. People often use wireless controllers
both are standard on the actual systems, where the games work fine. That's not the problem. The problem is entirely
>Emulation tends to add lag
and not because that lag is so massive (it isn't) but because the game does not compensate for it
>>
>>3440814
Nice job, anon
>>
>>3444240
>>3444236
>>3444129
>>3444140
I don't know about lag, but since emulators often take shortcuts to emulate a certain function instead of emulating it exactly how the original hardware would do it along with the exact timing of said hardware, there are timing differences that are very noticable with rhythm games.
>>
>>3446159
that's never the case except in very few very crappy HLE implementations. Accounting for CPU timing is one of the first things you do in an emulator, because a lot of stuff relies on cycle counting and synching between components
>>
Does this support increasing the framerate above 60? I like to play games at faster speeds sometimes.
>>
Just tried it on ace combat 2. Visibility is clearly improved at far distances, and normally the entire ground would wobble. It's all gone now. I'm pretty impressed.
>>
>>3447417
Emulation framerates are not like PC game framerates, you can't just push it as high as it will go. Emulation framerates only go up to 100%. Emulator CPU overclocking is for pushing framerates to 100% (60 fps) if it's a variable framerate game that drops all over the place. If the game was made to be locked to 30 fps, overclocking won't push it further than that, and may break the game if anything. At the most basic level you could make games run at 60 fps, but it would make the game run twice as fast.
>>
>>3447798
I'm talking about gamespeed. Took the liberty of trying it and it's possible by increasing the fps limit above 60 in the gfx section. game speed increases. old slow games become fresh again
>>
>>3447802
If that's what you want then sure, but music playback could be an issue.
>>
>>3430961
pirate apks exist for it and literally show up in the top ten google results for "epsxe android apk download".

It's functionally free.
>>
File: racing lagoon 2.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
racing lagoon 2.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>3440814
Need that for Racing Lagoon.
>>
>>3448019
I've spent the past few days making more on Youtube but I'm struggling with doing 1080p with these emulator enhancements. Going to employ a few tricks, but I'm definitely looking forward to Racing Lagoon. Is this the JDM racing RPG with the city overhead view?
>>
>>3437745
It's Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
>>
>>3448128
Tried this as well. Games look pretty good. Now if only there was a way to get rid of the low polygon shit. Sometimes it's just too blocky
>>
>>3433105
That's disingenuous. No man works solely by the sweat of his own brow and all that is produced and toiled at is a culmination of a complex network of all men. And that network strives to make life better for all in the network.

Why should one man use the knowledge and support of all men to develop the tools and technology to benefit all men and then tell other men they cannot benefit from the history of mankind and that it is his own to keep?

As for this
>It belongs to everyone!
That man is a part of the group everyone. He is also entitled to the sweat of others brow in kind and he has done so to produce his own work. Almost never is a man isolated from the assistance of humanity.
>>
File: Untitled.png (30KB, 635x660px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30KB, 635x660px
>>3427406
How do I get this to work?

I already have PCSX-R, use it all the time to emulate PS1 games. I followed the first link in the youtube vid, downloaded the most recent build, then dropped the .exe into my main PCSX-R folder, and the two other files into the plugins folder.

Now I run the game through the PCSXR-PGXP exe, set the gpu plugin to peteopenGL2 tweaks 2.4, and now I'm trying to play but I'm getting really wild graphic errors.

Here's a screenshot of my graphics config.
>>
>>3434238
You better lose that attitude before you lose some teeth, bud.
>>
>>3452927
Lower x/y resolution in increments until it stabilizes.
Lower texture filtering.
Off-screen drawing should be 1 (Standard?)
>>
File: Tekken 3 Attract.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tekken 3 Attract.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>>3440814
Okay I've spent the last few days messing around and optimizing my encodes and uploads, so YouTube can get their shit together and VP9 my shit.

Here's Tekken 3's attract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWrXMFmMcI&list=PLgKTFKEeDbtS1fu-pDgRpw-1A4ZE3h8cI

Will make publish the video public once VP9 is switched on.
>>
So my controller stopped working randomly. When I view my controller layout in the options, I can assign buttons like normal (I'm using a wired PS3 controller, non-official), but nothing works in game.

This controller has worked just fine until now. I've been tearing my hair out trying to fix it, using different controller plugins.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd like to try out Fear Effect and Silent Hill with PGXP
>>
its kind of impressive how pretty psx games looked beneath the stuttering cat vomit texture shit desu. though I s'pose you're also getting a resolution and anti-aliasing boost.

>>3427448
meme power m8
>>
>>3453329
Either press F5 to get out of analog mode in games that don't use it (or just switch off Dualshock in plugins), or you are using simulated bios instead of using bios/ps-20a.bin like you should be. Most likely that, since it happened to me too in Ridge Racer Revolution.
>>
>>3453423
So, you were right. My bios was set to "Set PSX bios", so I set it to SCPH1001.BIN (which I'm pretty sure was what it was set to before).

Now it hangs on the logo screens (KCET logo for Silent Hill). Any ideas? Thanks for your help before, btw.
>>
>>3453474
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/other/playstation-bios-psx/

Get ps-20a.bin and see if it changes anything. And make the plugin use a digital pad for troubleshooting.
>>
>>3453234

thanks brah
>>
>>3427410
I'm usually not a fan the "the way the developers intended" meme but the before picture looks better
>>
>>3457043
Not it looks differently worse. The perspective straightening is better on the right and the BRx muddy texture filtering is worse. Both sides are bad for different reasons.
>>
>>3457315
Yeah I just noticed the xBRZ filtering can be disabled from this thread. Fixes all those weird 2D issues.

It obviously isn't as perfect in motion but it does go a long way to making many games look much better. Basically any game with a static camera angle looks much better. Dynamic cameras or general camera movement still has wiggle, but it's infinitely less pronounced. It's neat shit.
>>
>>3434535
>>3435120
shut up
>>
Know what... i actualy enjoy seeing such things on the web... but it would be great if a team totaly made a remastered of the original SH1 not the crappy reboot called Shattered Memories... a true remastered of the original game... i have a shit tons of gameplay hours on my PSP version of SH1... its an incredible feeling to have your favourite game in your pocket...but also it would be nice to have the game as a total HD remastered..with better graphics and everything
>>
>>3458125
>everything
what's everything?
And what's better graphics?
>>
well..idk.. updated soundtrack... ambience...
>>
>>3458129
>updated soundtrack
updated how?
>>
i mean a totaly new game.. new engine.. new graphics.. a better sound engine..realistic gun sounds...
>>
>>3458134
It's called Shattered Memories.
>>
>>3458134
>i mean a totaly new game
so why drag SH1 into this then?

>new engine.. new graphics.. a better sound engine
what's wrong with the existing ones?

It's incredibly easy to want "new" and "more", until one realizes just how much a game's impact hinges on how it is. You're suggesting so many changes for the sake of change, without even stopping for a second to think if anything is actually wrong with the game. In fact quite often more realism or complexity detracts from an actually good game. Sometimes imagination just provides the better visuals and sounds. Enjoy what you have, it's a good game. You know how many modern remakes, remasters and reimaginations look and play. They're shallow superficial shit that have little in common with the original game. You want that for SH? I'm quite sure you don't.
>>
File: Wipeout 3 SE Manor Top.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
Wipeout 3 SE Manor Top.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>>3440814
>>3453234
Finished another, 8 minutes of Wipeout 3's amazing PS1 graphics and art direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ZEXxu_9ag&list=PLgKTFKEeDbtS1fu-pDgRpw-1A4ZE3h8cI
>>
File: pcsxr0001.jpg (120KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pcsxr0001.jpg
120KB, 640x480px
Weird question, does anyone know how to get rid of the flickering white textures on bushes and windows and fences in Silent Hill. Mask bit is already enabled, if that matters.
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.