[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /vr/'s favorite retro Final Fantasy character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 22

File: squallparty.png (571KB, 734x564px) Image search: [Google]
squallparty.png
571KB, 734x564px
What's /vr/'s favorite retro Final Fantasy character? What do you think about Squall? He's like a dark and edgy Fonzie.

Also, /vr/ humor thread?
>>
tellah, because he's a pissed off old man out for blood and I can respect that

but there really hasn't been an FF character I hated until they introduced voice acting
>>
>>3426941
> I AM BASCH ROSENBURG FROM DALMASCA!!!!!!!!!!!
> DONT LISTEN ONDORE LIES!!!!!!!
>>
>>3426923
Fonzie was cool. Squall was a loser and the complete opposite in every conceivable way.
>>
>>3429443
someone is projecting
>>
File: 1465745843074.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1465745843074.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>3426923
>tfw no GF gf
>>
So I don't want to make a new thread and this one has final fantasy in the title.

Why is a sabre more powerful than a silver hammer in FF1 for NES? The hammer costs WAY more. What gives?
>>
>>3426923
I liked Shadow.
>>
>>3426923
>bimbo character was literally called selfie
ff8 was so ahead of its time
>>
Sephiroth, obviously.
>>
File: Zidane.Tribal.full.100253.jpg (694KB, 1200x1011px) Image search: [Google]
Zidane.Tribal.full.100253.jpg
694KB, 1200x1011px
Friendly
Adventurous
spends so much of his game being a bro to his friends that when it's his turn to mope the scene lasts all of five minutes because said friends show up to remind him how awesome he is
>>
>>3429683
Okay. I equip the saber and my dmg is 25. I equip the hammer and it's 26.

I checked several different sites and they all have the same base damages listed. What is it that I don't know? Should I just go by pleb rules that more money equals better equipment?
>>
White mages and Wizards can use hammers too.
>>3429683
>>3429752
>>
>>3426923
Retro? Gonna go with Galuf and Tellah. Final Fantasy always shied away from cool old guys and instead focused on the younger crowd for the most part. Shame.
>>
File: Image.jpg (75KB, 944x469px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
75KB, 944x469px
>>3429739
talking in Dali about Baku finding/raising/beating him, chatting with mute Garnet, male-bonding with Vivi, all great scenes.
Plus, a FF protag actively trying to bang the love interest for once was a refreshing change for the series.
>>
I actually like FF8 and squall quite a bit, I understand the hate it gets, but personally find that game ultra replayable due to how the junction system allows so much flexibility, you can create challenge runs and shit.

I digress, squall is actually not that bad, he is efficient and does his job if anything. Yeah he is kind of a memester in the english version of the game with all his whatever spewing shit, but he was trained to do military shit and for the most part is really professional at it.
>>
File: 00.jpg (20KB, 424x640px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
20KB, 424x640px
>>3426923
Probably Tifa. The more I think about her the more I like her. She's sexy, powerful, shy, has a history with the protagonist, and she likes him.

>That long, straight, dark brown hair tied at the end
>Those tits
>Those red eyes
>That short skirt/midriff bearing tank top/suspenders combination
>Those long legs

All this AND she's actually a useful character. Great in a fight. Imagine Cloud and Tifa's romantic realization scenario. That moment where they finally realize they both feel the same way about each other. I love the history between those 2. I think there's a good story there.
>>
>>3430498
It would be nice if it was expanded on in the remake, but then they could go overboard and screw it up.
>>
>>3430537
>In the spirit of the original, they add a bunch of minigames
>QTE hot coffee scene under the Highwind at the end of Disc 2
>either play as C+T doing the business, or the other members of the party and Highwind crew carefully peeking over the side to watch, without being spotted
>>
>>3430389
Thank ya mang
>>
Well the main character from the best game of course.
>>
File: bestlookingguy.png (134KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
bestlookingguy.png
134KB, 960x720px
>>3426923
>>
>Don't blame me, blame yourself... or god
>>
>>3426923

Squall is nothing like Fonzie whatsoever
>>
>>3430498

Tifa's a fucking bimbo retard who only ever lusts for Cloud cock the entire game. She's not strong by any definition. In fact she probably made shit worse because she was too busy being wet to do something about Cloud's obvious dementia.

>All this AND she's actually a useful character.

She's one of the worst characters in the game and even in AC all she did was suck

>>Those tits

Just admit that's the reason you like her. It's at least honest.
>>
>>3431582
shit player detected
>>
>>3431589

why would I settle for some bitch who can only max out at 7 hits with a stupid slot gimmick when I can use Barret or Yuffie and rape face
>>
File: 1459009743314.jpg (91KB, 400x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1459009743314.jpg
91KB, 400x1012px
>>
>>3431582
>>3431604

Hi bait.
>>
>>3431582
>referencing AC like it matters at all

HAHAHAHAHAHA

This whole post is autism. Tifa found Cloud at the train station and took him in.
>>
>>3431589
Tell me about it. If he ever lost a battle with Tifa in his party it ain't the game's fault.
>>
>>3431750
>>3431791

>Tifa fags can't defend their waifu
>Instead just cry bait and shit player
>>
>>3431834
>says Tifa isn't strong by any definition when she literally suplexes huge monsters and spins them on her finger like a fucking basketball
>implying that isn't bait

Nice try, kiddo.
>>
>>3431839

Strength of character dipshit. But hey I guess it's normal for Tifa fags to only focus on the superficial.

and even with suplexing monsters she still has low damage output compared to half the other characters
>>
>>3431850
She wanted to save the planet from an evil mega corporation and sympathized with people in need and suffering. She cared about everyone and wanted them to remain optimistic. How is that a weak character?

>lusts after Cloud, has difficulty expressing her emotions

Oh wow, she has problems and weaknesses? I've never heard of good characters having those before.

>low damage output compared to half the other characters

Her limit break has a maximum damage of 70000. I don't know about the other characters, but that sounds pretty fucking good to me.
>>
>>3431870
>She wanted to save the planet from an evil mega corporation and sympathized with people in need and suffering

So didn't everyone else. She had no personal motivation beyond the token goal everyone shared.

Cloud wanted a piece of Sephiroth
Barret had a kid to protect
Yuffie wanted to make her town great
Red XIII wanted to become a great warrior like his dad.

>Oh wow, she has problems and weaknesses?

here's a tip. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO OVERCOME THESE THINGS. Her entire personality revolves around Cloud and she never grows past it.

>Her limit break has a maximum damage of 70000.

Yuffie's 2nd lvl 3 can break 100k
Cloud's can do more than that

She has 7 hits between all her limit breaks TOTAL, Cloud, Barret, Cid, and Yuffie can can hit for over a dozen times each.
>>
>>3431890
Did you play the game? Tifa had the same motivation Cloud did. She hated Sephiroth because of what happened to Neibelheim and he tried to kill her. Sure she had the same "token goal" that everyone shared. That doesn't make the goal less noble and it doesn't make her less of a noble person either.

>Her entire personality revolves around Cloud

So she has feelings for him. That's not a detracting character quality. She even stays with him at the end when the planet's falling apart and risked her own life in a failed attempt to save him. She actually saves his life earlier in Mideel when the earthquake swallows the whole town.

>about the limit break shit

None of that changes the fact that she can wreck ass anyway. She has a best weapon that allows her regular attacks to do 9999 per hit like everyone else.
>>
>>3431451
would fug
>>
For me it’s Kefka – intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.
>>
File: emo.jpg (743KB, 960x940px) Image search: [Google]
emo.jpg
743KB, 960x940px
>>3426923
I liked Squall because he's literally the opposite of everything the OP's image tries to portray him as.
>>
>>3430416
One thing I like about FFVIII and Squall is unlike pretty much ever other protag there are dialog boxes for what he's thinking, the transparent ones. I wish FF would do something like that again, you usually don't get that kind of insight into a character in the series.

Also remember hearing that FFVIII like a lot of RPGs from that period are pretty poorly translated. If true that's probably what led to his meme status for lack of a better term I guess.
>>
>>3432104

The US's shit """"""""localization"""""""" of the game certainly didn't help
>>
Faris. It sucks that 95% of fanart of her is of the purple haired design instead of her cooler, canon design.
>>
>>3432293
but that design actually looks like her sprite

bartz doesn't even wear a tunic in the amano art, what the fuck

but yeah the cast of V is really likable, especially faris for some reason
>>
File: tifabs.png (326KB, 394x647px) Image search: [Google]
tifabs.png
326KB, 394x647px
>>3430498
i'd like her to have some abs.
at least a little definition.
japan though, and squenix on top of it, so never ever
>>
File: this faggot.jpg (571KB, 637x832px) Image search: [Google]
this faggot.jpg
571KB, 637x832px
ANIMALS HAVE NO GOD!
>>
>>3432242
anon.
the game was translated in house in japan
>>
>>3432518
By a multilingual team, each member represented its own nation. They had common meetings and were not Square interns, they were called for the job. I read an interview.
>>
>>3432523
and yet it still turned out so stilted.
i'm starting to think they just didn't really care back then.
have they bothered to give 7 & 8 a new script with all the rereleases?
>>
>>3432515
Japan likes their fictional women to look as feminine as possible but be really strong. They have the freedom to make her look however they want. That's the appeal of FICTION.
>>
>>3426923
this pic pisses me off a bit. Seifer calls Zell a chicken-wuss and not Squall.

bullshit in that pic already.
>>
>>3426923
Faris from FF5
>>
>>3432242
We need a shiny new fan translation
>>
>>3432293

The amano art in FFV was an abomination. Every looks like a transvestite chud
>>
>>3432571
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
>>
>>3432626
i don't mind that.
the problem is that square has a weird problem of making everyone have these weird tube arms and legs for in-game models
>>
>>3432672
You mean they way the characters are super strong but have thin arms?
>>
>>3432685
i'm not talking about strength.
i'm talking about how they have freakishly thin arms and legs
>>
>>3433195
japan is historically a slave factory for mainland china about 2000 years ago, their aesthetic for both males and females is tinted to have a sort of beautiful femininity because that's what kind of sex slaves people like. in the modern day this basically means it's a result of young japanese audiences preferring characters that more closely resemble themselves, to give them a stronger illusion to escape into. the justification for skinny people being super strong is usually that they're utilizing some sort of fighting spirit battle aura.

there are of course, those from the historic rebellious warrior caste who were more muscular and gruff, but athleltic martial artist types can get laid in their teens and have no need to play RPGs
>>
File: Delita_and_Ramza.jpg (512KB, 836x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Delita_and_Ramza.jpg
512KB, 836x1021px
>>
>>3431582
So she's a bimbo who also has huge tits? Confirmed perfect woman.
>>
>>3433303
even so, square character models are still really skinny compared to most.
maybe it's because of an amano aesthetic thing, but it's still a bit off putting for me
>>
File: 1452607370363.jpg (307KB, 877x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1452607370363.jpg
307KB, 877x1239px
>62 posts in this thread
>nobody has posted the correct answer yet
>>
File: pechyapai.jpg (567KB, 821x1257px) Image search: [Google]
pechyapai.jpg
567KB, 821x1257px
>>3434503
i can't into rydia even though she is cute
>>
>>3431582
tifa is one of the best characters in the game that can effectively do 15x the damage any other character does until the ultimate weapons come in to play, are you retarded?
>>
>>3431589
shit argument detected
>>
File: galuf_by_obstinatemelon-d4mu76u.jpg (3MB, 1200x1831px) Image search: [Google]
galuf_by_obstinatemelon-d4mu76u.jpg
3MB, 1200x1831px
galuf is bretty cool guy, eh hits 0hp and keeps on fighting.
>>
>>3431870
>i don't know about the other characters
Then what the fuck was the point of even typing that you stupid dipshit? Get the fuck out, you like her stupid fucking pixelated video game tits, end of story. Admit it and move on fuckface.
>>
>>3434726
You sound upset.
>>
>>3426923
I actually like Seifer a lot more than Squall. He's not really my favorite of the entire series, but whereas Squall is basically this cold, withdrawn by the book sort of fellow who doesn't really give a damn about any of his compatriots, Seifer's an idealist driven by passion. I felt like most of Squall's development into who he was by the end of the story was mainly caused by everyone around him cheering him on and providing the vehicle for him to become who he was, and without that, he'd have remained a static character little more than an NPC.

For favorite FF character in terms of enjoyment, I always loved FF7's Cid. That broken shell of a man pissed off at the world gives me no end of amusement.
>>
>>3432517
Man, he was just so unashamedly spiteful. It was like, he couldn't understand he's basically lowborn now, and he'll shit on anyone and everyone he thinks is beneath his station and suck up to anyone in charge. If there was ever a way to make a character to hate while avoiding being a complete mustache twirler, this was it.
>>
>>3435545
>whereas Squall is basically this cold, withdrawn by the book sort of fellow who doesn't really give a damn about any of his compatriots, Seifer's an idealist driven by passion.

How can you even get those characters completely mixed up?
Squall was the one who actually cared about others, his whole lone wolf shtick was due to him being worried about what others would think of him and the fact that he didn't want to have others nosing around was that he didn't want other people to worry about him, because he had low self esteem and the whole orphan complex, especially due to Ellione disappearing and leaving him alone.

Seifer was an arrogant cunt who didn't care about anyone other than himself and his stupid dream about being a witch's knight, he was the one completely self absorbed and out of touch with reality in the end, so much that he didn't even realize why Raijin and Fuujin ended up going by Squall's side by the time they attacked the Lunatic Pandora.
The speech from Raijin and Fuujin there was the only part of the game where Seifer actually counted as a character other than "selfish asshole no.20093", it's also the big reason as to why you see him so different in the ending, he realized there's something more to life than just a shitty pipe dream that turned out a literal delusion, he realized he had buds who cared about him.

Squall was the opposite, he knew people were looking after him but he was so dead set on his ideal of stoic strong child who needs no help that he couldn't accept other people's feeling, while Squall couldn't accept other people's love out of fear of being left alone again and shame of admitting his own weakness Seifer straight up didn't even consider the idea.

Of the two Seifer is the one who's actually withdrawn from the world, to the point that he believes taking Galbadia's president as hostage in the first live broadcast in decades was a smart move, even Squall knew full well of the consequences of such bullshit plan.
>>
>>3435627
Squall's original fears may have come from him feeling inadequate and resulted in him pushing people away, but it pretty much came off as him being incredibly self-centered and lacking empathy. When you get to Galbadia garden, he throws a fit thinking how others were reacting to Seifer's death and turned the situation into something about him for exactly the reason you mentioned. During his time at Timber, he makes pretty clear he does what he's told and chastises Rinoa for being indecisive and unprofessional, again most likely a projection of himself not wanting to appear that way. The entire lone wolf persona he's concocted is entirely because of what he wants other people to think of him as, he's more concerned with his appearance than anyone else.

Seifer's actions are almost all brash and entirely lacking in any sort of planning beyond the moment. When he ignores orders in the Dollet mission, it's from a desire to do more and push himself, which taken in a vacuum is great, but the Garden then explains why that doesn't work for a group of professional mercenaries and why they need to stick to the contract. The Timber broadcast being interrupted was the same way, a strong desire to act, even though the consequences weren't thought through. Yeah, he's a giant asshole to those around him, and it's precisely because he doesn't care what they think of him and instead acts in whatever way he thinks is best at any given time.

To say Seifer is withdrawn from the world isn't quite correct, he's very much in the world, but rather disconnected from the consequences of his actions, not understanding what happens long term. Squall on the other hand is pretty much entirely focused on the mission and only the mission for a good portion of the game to the exclusion of those around him until the end of disc 2.
>>
>>3428671
(((Rosenburg)))
/pol/ is always right
>>
>>3437214
Kill yourself, memecuck.
>>
>>3435545
Drink your goddamn tea!
>>
Probably Squall
>>
>>3431642
JUST
>>
>>3438019
GET A ROOM
>>
>>3437939
DIDF pls
>>
>>3439106
the fuck does DIDF mean
>>
>>3435552
He was a typical born into station brat which makes his comments towards ramza at igros castle ironic.

He was willing to do anything it took to regain his family's status, but it cost him his life in the end.

Great character though, his dialogue in the war of the lions translation is even more biting and hateful. Certainly would fit into a tactics ogre game
>>
File: psdx6d3d041.jpg (49KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
psdx6d3d041.jpg
49KB, 800x600px
>>3431890
>Cloud giving a shit about anyone or anything besides money
If it wasn't for Tifa restoring Cloud's memories he would have continued to be the way he was in Midgar, a cross-dressing fag for hire who was willing to do anything for a nickel.

>Barret
cuck

>Yuffie
Thief who betrays her friends repeatedly

>Cid
Wifebeater hillbilly retard

>Aerith
Supports Cloud's tranny fantasy and dresses him in drag
>>
>>3432104
>playing the squall card in that position
Absolutely disgusting
>>
File: squall has seen some shit.jpg (319KB, 1000x1728px) Image search: [Google]
squall has seen some shit.jpg
319KB, 1000x1728px
>people that think squall is emo
its like they didn't even play the game
>>
>>3439615
i know that artist

rat queens
>>
>>3432171
Just a touch mistranslated
http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart
There's also changes such as when Ultimecia yanks Griever out of you, the interactions with Zell and Seifer, etc etc.
Essentially, the translation isn't exactly a mistranslation when applying our figures of speech at the time, but people retroactively judge it pretty harshly now that we're all older.
>>
>>3429450
He's right, though. Fonzie was one cool motherfucker that was pretty out going. Squall was an introvert.
>>
File: Squall_Scar.png (406KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Squall_Scar.png
406KB, 640x448px
>>3435671
>he throws a fit thinking how others were reacting to Seifer's death and turned the situation into something about him
Why would Squall have any special reason to care about Seifer? Seifer has been an asshole since he was a kid and Squall has been his rival.

>During his time at Timber, he makes pretty clear he does what he's told and chastises Rinoa for being indecisive and unprofessional, again most likely a projection of himself not wanting to appear that way. The entire lone wolf persona he's concocted is entirely because of what he wants other people to think of him as, he's more concerned with his appearance than anyone else.
Timber was a SeeD mission. SeeDs are basically military for hire and Squall is contracted and trained to behave in a certain manner when on the job. Rinoa, as naive and goofy as she appears, is also a militant. Squall has known her for all of 5 minutes at this point in the game. When you're going after the president of a world superpower you better be decisive and professional in coming up with a proper plan and executing it or the consequences will be huge. This situation has nothing to do with Squall's internal struggles, we're talking about a high-risk part of his job. Everything >>3435627 said about Squall is spot on.
>>
>>3439557
>Thief who betrays her friends repeatedly

It was once and here's an though. Maybe don't play the moral high ground card in a game that opens with you killing a bunch of innocent security guards and wage slaves, because you're a militant greenpeace asshole
>>
>>3440280

Because even if you don't personally like someone, hearing that someone you've known that long is probably defiantly getting the death sentence usually gets a reaction out of sane people who aren't sociopaths.
>>
>>3440719
I wouldn't say squall didn't give a shit, but rather was just at peace with the reality of the situation, he was a bit of a tryhard after all, he simply accepted it for what was
>>
>>3440729

he had two seconds to process it before he went off on his tantrum.
>>
>>3440740
"Seifer would hate this."
"People just saying what they like about you"
Pretty sure he understood Seifer more than anybody in that room.
>>
>>3441104

Seifer thrived on attention and would love to hear people say ANYTHING about him. He doesn't understand shit.
>>
>>3441152
I don't think Seifer would thrive on pity, anon. The human mind is complex anyways.
>>
>>3439825
Oh god you're right.
Rat Queens was such a pile of shit.
>>
>>3430415
Just a reminder that Cloud was the only protag that legit had sex.
>>
>>3441764

Cecil and Rosa where lovers for years. If you don't think they were doing it then you really are a retard.
>>
>>3439557
Get better bait
>>
>>3440719
>>3440729
Squall and Seifer were rivals.

It's definitely a japanese thing, and it's hard to translate that to North America, but a lot of rivals are also good friends.

I think Squall had a mutual respect for Seifer because they are clearly quite evenly matched in combat so there was obviously some kind of warrior respect even if Seifer was a huge dick like 90% of the time. I also think Squall admired Seifer going and doing his own thing, becuase Squall was often pushed into positions he didn't want to be in because of his dutiful nature.
>>
>>3441760
no argument there
>>
>>3442925

Actually that's something I really want to address.

The whole game keeps just HANDING Squall his destiny for want of a better term. Cid just decided on what seems like a whim that Squall is leader of Garden now, despite there being older students who are clearly more qualified for a command position.

Not saying Squall's not a good fire team leader but that doesn't make him Patton
>>
>>3430405
Auron and VII's Cid were pretty cool for being old guys.
>>
File: Cloud_Strife.jpg (687KB, 2056x2986px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Strife.jpg
687KB, 2056x2986px
>>3426923
I would have said Tidus if he were /vr/ so I'll go with the next best thing. Squall was far and away the best character of FF8 but I still didn't like him that much.
>>
File: 1449197116863.jpg (79KB, 736x524px) Image search: [Google]
1449197116863.jpg
79KB, 736x524px
My personal favorite is probably Sabin. Other then being useful in battle I enjoyed him as a character honestly. He seemed very genuine and kind, things like him reuniting with Edgar and his relationship with Gau made him real memorable in my mind. A shame people only remember for the train joke.
>>
>>3439557
Is that the retranslation? I remember in the original version he says "It's not my problem" or something like that.
>>
>>3441818
This, also they had kids, so it's confirmed
>>
File: faris.jpg (255KB, 500x696px)
faris.jpg
255KB, 500x696px
This thread has a severe lack of Faris
>>
>>3444083
True, but they were more of the characters that went from young to sort of middle age. I think they are both what, in their early forties? And on the other side, you have a bunch of fags and lolis saving the world.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.