/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think there would be a significant market for a company

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: bk2big.jpg (104KB, 1001x543px) Image search: [Google]
bk2big.jpg
104KB, 1001x543px
Do you think there would be a significant market for a company like Nintendo or Sega to bring back old consoles with new cartridge game releases (and re-prints of old classics)? Games would come in the same sized boxes as before, and with printed color instruction manuals.

Also the new versions of these consoles would have modern connectivity options like HDMI and wireless controllers but otherwise remain unchanged.
>>
Absolutely not. Aside from the slim market of retro gamers/collectors, only a handful of average gamers would bother buying into it, especially with Wii U VC and the NES Mini.
>>
No, carts are expensive to make.
It would only work with expensive carts, but you're better off buying a repro.

Also, sega releases their games in bundles. The PS3 sega collection has 49 games. For 10 bucks.

Also, lots of the companies that made games for old consoles don't exist anymore.
They make easier money with the virtual console or ps store.
>>
>>3424879
Yeah, as long as they kept in mind no previous generation system will be considered on par with current gen, thus meaning nobody will pay new game prices. Oh, and if they didn't do stupid shit like save-states

>>3424889
Not anymore they aren't.
>>
>>3424885
>>3424889
I mean something analogous to the ongoing vinyl revival.

Obviously vinyl will never seriously compete against the likes of Spotify and iTunes, but there is a non-trivial audience of enthusiasts who go out of their way to buy and listen to physical album prints in big cardboard sleeves, both old and new.

Similarly, I think there's a lot of untapped potential for original new retro games both from big companies and indie studios (with many of them run by 80s and 90s industry veterans).

For example, Nintendo could put out a Super Mario Bros. 5 (because SMB4 = SMW) with all-new sprite graphics, worlds, powerups, enemies, gameplay, and music. Or Sakaguchi can assemble a team of old Final Fantasy developers and create an all-new JRPG for SNES.

It's not about bringing back old games but also creating new ones on the same platforms. Those old consoles that have been sitting in boxes for the past 20 years can be used again to make new memories and not just reliving old ones.
>>
>>3424916
It's not exactly the largest market. The hardware is quite dated, so you'd have to add support for that again, not to mention producing carts and boxes, which they're more or less deliberately trying to do away with. Not to mention the pricing to justify the game length and production, to the point that you may as well just ask why not put it on the online shop and save money.
>>
>>3424916
We already had this thread last week, and the week before that, and last month too.
The consensus is that it's counterproductive because the old manufacturing plants where they made cartridges and old systems have basically closed down, the documentation is probably lost considering how shitty Japan is at archiving things(insert horror story about Squaresoft and Nintendo here) and so the costs for doing it wouldn't be worth it.

Starting a new production of said carts to sell AT BEST at $19.99 considering they're still "old" games for most videogame players is basically retarded.
Same for the consoles themselves, some of the old companies that used to provide parts for them even CLOSED so you'd have to change so much it's not the same console at all so what's the point?
And while virtual console and SEGA collections aren't perfect either for various reasons they're still way better and efficient at bringing old games to new videogame players than starting production of 20 years old hardware again.

Look at that new NES monstruosity from Nintendo, it's basically an emulator in a box with upscaling and fixed amount of roms, that's the best you can hope for, and at that point you're better off emulating a NES on retroarch wii on a CRT, same shit but infinite roms.
>>
>>3424934
This is exactly what people said about vinyl and now it's flourishing again
>>
>>3424879
No, since selling emulator ROMs and emulators is much cheaper
>>
>>3424972
Vinyl isn't played on a single brand of record player, nor is it owned by a single company. This would be a niche market, which is a bit difficult when you have to make new games at the same time. Overall, it's an endeavor that game companies wouldn't particularly see much of a reason for.
>>
File: RetroUSB-AVS-Console.jpg (182KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
RetroUSB-AVS-Console.jpg
182KB, 550x413px
>>3425003
>Vinyl isn't played on a single brand of record player, nor is it owned by a single company.

The patents on the 8- and 16-bit consoles have already expired, so anyone is legally free to make and sell their own clones (and they do).

Ironically, the homebrew/emulation community probably understands how these systems work better than Nintendo and Sega do.
>>
>>3424913
>save states
>stupid

Calm down
>>
>>3424972

Vinyl never stopped being produced.
>>
>>3424941
Shit you've seen the NES Classic running? Links to a video?
>>
>>3424941
>considering how shitty Japan is at archiving things(insert horror story about Squaresoft and Nintendo here)
>and Nintendo

What? If I recall, isn't Nintendo one of the few Jap dev studios that (for the most part) properly archive their code and stuff? If there's one major company you should be hounding at for being neglectful with shit, it's Sega. Ever wondered why we never got a Panzer Dragoon Saga digital re-release?
>>
>>3425369
If they really wanted to do a panzer dragoon rerelease they could reverse engineer the code, that is how 90% of HD collections are done these days anyway. Also, they managed to port that game over to the xbox original as a throw in with orta, so it's obviously very possible to do.
>>
so how are the battle kid games anyway?
>>
Instead of using carts, would it be possible to play games on the same chipsets with something like an SD card? Think what 3ds/ds/vita use.

Also would the processors and whatnot be that hard to replicate? Could they not just modify off the shelf electronic parts?

I would buy the hell out of something that performed exactly the same as the original hardware and came in a neat case.
>>
>>3424972
vinyl has also been around for about 100 years, it's a well established format
>>
>>3424916
I appreciate your idealism, but it just doesn't make sense to teach a new generation of coders an archaic language to write games for SNES to start putting out new titles for what might just be a passing fad.

Game development is a bit more complicated than you seem to think, you need to consider how different various platforms are to write for. You don't just open gamemaker.exe, type in "I want skyrim but all blocky and top down" and remember to hit the SNES button instead of STEAM
>>
File: Teasers-Project-Y-1-520x280.jpg (52KB, 520x280px) Image search: [Google]
Teasers-Project-Y-1-520x280.jpg
52KB, 520x280px
I would kill for new megadrive games. Or even a limited edition megadrive that isnt fucking emulation.
>>
File: b790BM0l.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
b790BM0l.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>3424941
China has produced a shitload of MD repro carts. Some companies in the usa have as well and keep selling them. So these bootleggers can but SEGA can't?
>>
File: themoreyouknow.jpg (35KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
themoreyouknow.jpg
35KB, 480x270px
>>3425003
>Vinyl isn't played on a single brand of record player

It used to be that way. Before standards were established such as RPM and size you had to buy records pressed by the same manufacturing company as your player or there would be no guarantee of compatibility.
>>
>>3424879
there would be a market for it for sure, but I'm sure that it wouldn't be big enough to even spend the money and time for from the companie's point of view. its easier and cheaper for them to just do stuff like the virtual console or steam. plus there will be a bunch of those people that are just like "why? i got roms and emulators.I don't need to buy this. "
>>
>>3425794
Yeah, in like the 20s.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.