/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good retro rpg for someone new to the genre? i'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

What's a good retro rpg for someone new to the genre? i'm looking for something that isn't overly complicated, mainly short and in fact teaches me something so i can play another rpg's after it.

My only experience has been a bit with Chrono Trigger, which i played until getting to the future timeframe but my save got corrupted and i don't feel like playing all that starting path again for now.
In fact, if someone does a list of subsequent RPG's in order of length/complexity it should be pretty good.
I'm interested on 16-bit, GBA and maybe PS1 era (sprites preferred, for 3d i'll just play modern games)
>>
File: dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg (24KB, 256x193px) Image search: [Google]
dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg
24KB, 256x193px
>>3424185

I think DQ games are good for newcomers. Maybe 3 is a good compromise between length and mechanics. But i would recommend GBC's DQ II
>>
>>3424185
mystic quest snes
>>
>>3424185
Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are great games that basically do everything you're asking for.

Seconding >>3424205, except for recommending DQ II. I'd suggest III or V instead. Also Earthbound for similar gameplay with a unique aesthetic.
>>
Golden Sun for GBA fits the bill
>>
>>3424185
FFIV
Dragon Quest V
Live A Live
Lufia 2

these should be fairly simple and short
>>
>>3424420
Live a Live sounds good with the episodic format. How short is FFIV compared with FFVI?
Do i need to play Lufia 1 before 2?
Also, how about the GBA pokemons? are they short?
>>
>>3424695
>How short is FFIV compared with FFVI?
it's shorter because there's less optional content and no customization and IV is more linear
you don't need to play lufia I, and I haven't played a single pokemon game in my life

oh and be sure to set battle speed to 1 in FFIV (that's the fastest setting)
>>
>>3424695
Not him, but Lufia 1 will spoil you the end of the second game right at the beginning, I didn't feel like continuing playing Lufia 2 knowing the twist and the outcome, that said, both games are alright, the first one feels like a Dragon Quest game, while the second game has Zelda-like dungeons with puzzles and no random encounters outside the world map, the second game also has a Mystery Dungeon area (something like Shiren the Wanderer) that people seem to like.

I'd say the Pokemon gba games can be finished in 20hours more or less depending on how fast you want to progress. Emerald has a nice postgame, fire red and green leaf are Red and Blue remakes.

Not sure about FFIV and VI since I played them a long time ago, I'd say VI is longer. The gba version of IV has a new dungeon after finishing the game.

You may want to try the BoF series, although I find the first two games for the snes to be fairly generic, people also recommend to patch them with a different translation because they dont like the ones we got. I haven't played 3 but most people seem to like it the best, I liked 4 the most, the spritework and the music are nice, and I liked the world being mostly a huge desert, I spent a fair ammount of time fishing on this one.
>>
>>3424185
Mystic Quest T.B.H.
>>
>>3424753
>oh and be sure to set battle speed to 1 in FFIV (that's the fastest setting)
You are aware that battle speed in that game only affects your party, right? It doesn't affect the monsters.
By setting battle speed to fastest you're putting the game on ultra-easy mode by giving yourself more turns.
>>
>>3424185
Are you just talking about just console RPGs or retro RPGs in general like Ultima, Fallout and Wizardry? In any case, Might and Magic 3 is a great entry point into grid based dungeon crawling RPGs if you like exploration. There's a SNES version too but I would just play the regular version in DOSbox. If you want to play Wizardry, you could check out the PSX version of the first three games and play the Dark Savant trilogy on PC.
>>
>>3424861
well anon, I played the translated jap version for the SNES and setting the battle speed to 1 sure made those door monsters in the sealed cave kill me faster so I have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>3424980
You're right, that was my mistake.

I was thinking of how in FF6 battle speed only affects enemies, so turning up the speed in that game makes it harder. It's been a while since I've played either of them so I've severely misremembered.
Sorry about that.
>>
>>3425042
it's ok, I went on the wiki to read about ATB and only now learned that the battle speed affected only enemies in V and VI
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.