[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some lesser known NES RPGs? Something about these really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: AAtown.png (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AAtown.png
40KB, 640x480px
What are some lesser known NES RPGs? Something about these really simplistic graphics is really charming. I feel like I've played all the famous ones though.
>>
>>3424020
Sweet Home.
>>
Destiny of an Emperor
Ghost Lion
Faria
>>
>>3424039
Faria gets my vote. Holy shit that game is hard towards the end.
>>
>>3424020
What's this one called?
>>
>>3424020
Super Chinese 2 or Little Ninja Brothers.
>>
>>3424047
Also, Faria had some of the most interesting story and character design.
>>
Radia Senki
Sansara Naga
Madara
>>
lagrange point is awesome
>>
>>3424048
Artifact Adventure. It's on Steam, it's not /vr/
>>
I'm trying to remember this one I played a while back that was about ninjas, had a bunch of weird Japanese humor and for some reason there were swastikas everywhere.
>>
File: Adventures of Musashi-2.png (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Adventures of Musashi-2.png
11KB, 200x200px
Adventures of Musashi is feudal Japanese Dragon Quest. I didn't get very far but it might be your thing.
>>
>>3424020
Dream Master is my favorite one. It has no random encounters and no grinding: any enemy you kill is gone permanently. The game places a heavy emphasis on resource management, and each area has some unique puzzles to solve and new hazards to deal with.

Chaos World is also worth looking into.

>>3424035
I'm a little surprised that there have been so few RPGs with a horror theme.
>>
>>3424035
God, I love that game. It only has two flaws: leaving characters dead is cool and makes the story more "edgy", but the inventory is so small that you really need all the characters. If someone dies, you lose two inventory spaces AND have to waste another space on an item that replaces their special ability.

The second problem is the fact that it's an RPG. You eventually become so strong that the monsters don't scare you anymore. Also, the traps do so little damage that you don't even care. They should leave you almost dead or something.

Fucking amazing game, though. I heard it inspired Resident Evil.
>>
>>3424553
Who made it, though? It seems to rip off Dragon Quest's assets for the towns and Final Fantasy's sprites for the characters.
>>
File: IMG_0711.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0711.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
Willow is one of my favorite RPGs. No licensed movie based game has the right to be this good. Would totally recommend. It even has surprisingly good graphics for 8-bit.
>>
>>3425118
Indeed, yet it's too colourful to run on the same hardware that the games it's ripping off run on. Makes one wonder why they bother.
>>
>>3425118
This, it makes me sick, making a profit thanks to the obvious effort of others.
>>
>>3425445
It's an homage, not plagiarism.
>>
>>3425483
Then you either don't take money or change it that far that you only catch the homage but it's not a blatant copy
>>
>>3424583
This one?

I worked on the English translation hack :^)
>>
>>3425113
I like it better than RE, actually. Asuka a cute.
>>
File: tao.jpg (102KB, 523x370px) Image search: [Google]
tao.jpg
102KB, 523x370px
TAO: The way

It's by Pax Softnica (who co-developed Mother with APE).
It's a kind of apocalyptic supernatural/mystical RPG adventure, You're on your quest for enlightenment and facing an imminent end of the world while you travel through buddhist temples to modern day cities to christian cathedrals in other countries. And you travel using dinosaurs, for some reason, although the game is set in 1999.
On your way you solve cryptic puzzles and fight demons, deities and other Megami Tensei-like folk.
It has a fan translation.
>>
>>3425113
Yeah, the survival aspects and the puzzles and theme and the horror filled mansion with monsters.
>>
>>3424035
>Go to your rest!
>The child is dead!
>How many must die?
>Go to your rest!
>The child is dead!
>How many must die?
>Go to your rest!
>The child is dead!
>How many must die?
The final battle was kind of narmy. Still a great game.
>>
>>3426701
I remember trying to play this game but I think I'm too stupid for it
got stuck at the beginning in some temple
>>
>>3426838

The fan translation comes with a small guide. It's not uncommon to get stuck in this game.
I like the game because I dig the 8-bit JRPG aesthetics and sound, and world design, but some of the puzzles are very weird and don't follow a clear logic, and figuring out basic battle commands and item/weapon usage can be very unintuitive.
>>
>>3426861
I'm reading about it and the battle system sounda interesting for a NES RPG
will give this another go, thanks for reminding me
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.