[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any idea how this multitap worked? I mean, it supports four controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Any idea how this multitap worked?
I mean, it supports four controllers and a memory card (or even four of them?) over one controller connector.
How it's that even possible?
>>
>>3423404
Just like on most other consoles
it just werks
>>
>>3423404
Like a USB hub.
>>
>>3423404
I actually wonder how the memory card part works considering the cord doesn't have a memory card end on it.
>>
i/o protocols
>>
>>3423404

Multiplexing / shift registers.

I bet if you open it up it's just a few 74 series logic chips
>>
>>3423404
what will really make you wonder is why the fuck they didnt simply mold into the plastic carcass 2 extra slots, since whatever circuitry there is inside can handle 4 logical players inputs anyway,

this is no frugality since you just have to procure the multitap and now you have 6 slots for a max of 4 controllers, its just wasteful

>>3423405
>Just like on most other consoles
>it makes you a bitch to the hardware manufacturer
>>
>>3423404
just some i/o protocol, at least on SEGA products.
Normal controllers have multiplexed buttons, in the sense that two wire act as a combinatorial selector for which button is going to appear on a certain line. On the genesis A/B are multiplexed and C/Start.
On the saturn, even the dpad is multiplexed to free space for the shoulder buttons
When using a multitap however some of the select wire get repurposed and used as a clock that the multitap uses to keep time with the host console. when it's asked for imputs, the multitap stores all the controllers' status, then start to send ids for all the controller using the data pins remaining, and then sends the status of th controllers.
It basically becames a serail stream
Also this protocol was used whenever on the genesis there was a six button controller, or on the saturn for the 3d controller or the mouse
More info here: http://www.raphnet.net/divers/documentation/genesis_multitap.txt
I would assume that the PS1 is similar, especially since it needs to send memory card data too.
>>
>>3423404
The simple version is that instead of constantly sending one player's inputs it sends P1's inputs then P2's inputs then P3's inputs then P4's inputs.
>>
>>3423561

>this is no frugality

4u. They got to save money, PCB space, and warranty repairs on two controller slots + two memory slots, and on top of that they got to sell you a dead-simple accessory with a great profit margin.
>>
File: mccs_dpp.gif (22KB, 575x539px) Image search: [Google]
mccs_dpp.gif
22KB, 575x539px
>>3423442
Controller and Memory card's in the PlayStation are a parallel interface, the same lines used for the controller are used for the memory card, just different connectors.

You can see it on the pic related, just to get a general idea, it's a schematic for a parallel port adapter, you can see how the controller and memory card use the same wires.
>>
>>3425035
Wow, thanks, dude. That's cool. I looked it up and saw that a few games supported 8 players. That's crazy
>>
>>3425040
The saturn version of bomberman supported 10 players through 2 multitaps, shit is crazy.
>>
>>3425290

When you think about how many keys your keyboard has. And how many pins the connector that goes into your computer it's not too crazy :)

Multiplexing is pretty interesting
>>
>>3425290
That's pretty insane. Makes me a little sad thinking about the past knowing I'll never play 4 player Nightmare on Elm street, or that Lord of the Rings game on the SNES again.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.