[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROM hacks on par with or better than the source material. this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: r4mi_1670.png (5KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
r4mi_1670.png
5KB, 256x240px
ROM hacks on par with or better than the source material.
this one's the latter
>>
Super Zero Mission is pretty great and mostly on par with genuine Metroid experience.
>>
>>3420626
Yeeaahhh.... no.

As far as romhacks are concerned, Minus infinity is great, but in the world of romhacks, only a handful of people can grasp the concept of level design that can make a stock game great.

Schwa's romhacks, like SMB3's Chaos Control or Gadget Master for MMIV, are the closets I'm seen to good classic level design; even then they're still flawed here and there and are made with the assumption that people already know the original game really well (rightfully so) which completely changes how you make the levels.
>>
SMB 3X is surprisingly good. Maybe not absolutely on par with Nintendo design, but pretty damn close for the most part.

Sadly, most ROM hackers seem to share the "hurr, imma make muh hack stupid difficult (even if i can't beat it myself) lest other rom hackers think of me as a lame loser" attitude.
>>
>>3420626
Are you the creator of the hack or something?

There's been a large amount of shilling for this game in the last week on this board.
>>
>>3421249
nah the creator is some jap or something
>>
File: Sonic3C_LevelSelect.png (6KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic3C_LevelSelect.png
6KB, 320x224px
>>
http://tppdevs.com/crystal.html

This hack is fucking great. It's like a remix of Crystal; you start off in Kanto and go through Red/Blue's story until a twist happens at a certain point and things go off the rails entirely. It always feels official though, never like a stupid fan game. They've added in mechanics and improvements from the newer games (running shoes, fairy type, new attacks, etc.) and other surprises as well.

All that stuff is nice but what I really appreciate is that everything's been rebalanced. Grinding your party is no longer a chore, but the game is still challenging. Enemy movesets are a lot more thought through, you'll have to strategize a little more than most other Pokemon games. The wild Pokemon at your disposal are much more varied and interesting as well; you have a lot of freedom to build your party as you like in the early stages of the game, so you're not stuck with Pidgey and Caterpie for the millionth time.

It's the most fun I've had with Pokemon since I was a kid playing it for the first time, honestly.
>>
FF5AC. Look, no one plays FF5 for the plot, we play it for the job system and the challenge. So the Ancient Cave is the perfect hack for it. The only downside is you can't save, so it's strictly for emulation.
>>
>>3421896
Is this a game where you start in Kanto and then eventually go to Johto??
>>
>>3420902
Have you gotten that far in 3X? It gets stupid hard before Seaside is over.

Sorry folks, I've gone through tons of SMW romhacks, and I can't recommend any of them to anyone who doesn't enjoy stupidly hard savescumming gameplay.
>>
>>3422076
Oh, that's kinda lame. Whatever, I'll play it anyways.
>>
>>3422080
It still throw new stuff at you. Its midgame is kinda weak but yeah.
>>
>>3422080

There's a Kanto "prologue" that goes from start to the SS Anne, then it goes into Johto.

Repost to fix my mistake.
>>
>>3421930
>The only downside is you can't save
that's a pretty big fuckin downside
>>
>>3422119
Agreed. That's why I prefer the FF6BC short cave. It's pretty much the same thing with three teams, except there's save points every 5 floors or so, and no time limit.
>>
>>3422035
Read what he wrote before asking questions you fucking mong.
>>
>>3422542
>>3422035

I wasn't exactly clear to be fair. But yeah, that's what happens. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>3420626
Use the Catalogue: >>3412407
>>
Extra Mario Bros. A really impressive hack that mixes Metroid with Mario.
>>
>>3422119
Just use savestates ffs.
>>
>>3420626
>ROM hacks on par with or better than the source material.
No such thing exists.
>>
>>3420626
ALTTP DX and Redux (a fork of the former)
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2234/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2594/
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.