[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a sound thread? Alternatively, (or additionally)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: haters SMB.gif (354KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
haters SMB.gif
354KB, 499x499px
Can we have a sound thread? Alternatively, (or additionally) can we have "how stuff worked" thread?
In particular, can we have a SNES sound thread? I'd like to know more about how it worked.
What I have:
- 8 voices
- 16-bit precision
- 32 KHz sample rate
- used a Sony SPC700 processor and a DSP... of some sort, can't find anything on it
What I'm looking for:
- Is this information accurate?
- Does the 32 KHz sample rate have any practical difference from the modern standard of 44.1 KHz?
- What are the voices (or what can they be)?
(Meanwhile I know the 5 voices of the NES and I'm sure I could fairly easily find its sample rate and how it produced noise and dealt with PCM because "whooo NES 8-bit etc.")
>>
>>3413743
>What are the voices (or what can they be)?
It's sample-based, so effectively anything.
>>
What do we now about the Playstation's and Saturn's soundchips. Can't find much on the PS1's.
http://psx.rules.org/spu.txt
>>
>>3413829
seriously? there's no wave generators? does it do FM?
...hmm, I just looked again at a doc I found, it says each voice/channel is assigned a track, and the tracks together make a pattern, and a string of patterns makes a song
If this is true it's unfortunate for me; it would seem there isn't any unifying hardware setup that creates a "Super Nintendo sound" like there is for the NES and some other systems, which I was hoping to replicate.
>>
File: 4L_XRu0ObqF.jpg (381KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4L_XRu0ObqF.jpg
381KB, 1600x1200px
Yo, I have a Roland MT-32 that I actually want to use as a synth. But I can't get any sound to come out of it at all. And yes I know to hold MASTER VOLUME and press 5 then 1.
>>
If we're going to have a sound chip thread we have to bring up the SID. The C64 had 3 voices and no official support for sampling, but despite that could do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrqBYkco-Y
>>
>>3414067
that's pretty nifty
>>
>>3413980
I think your best bet is to find a soundfont of a game you like. A lot of SNES games share soundbanks because they're by the same developers.

There's also a VST called Super Audio Cart which is apparently very good for SNES sound (recommended by Jake Kaufman aka Virt aka one of the most knowledgeable vidya composers with an internet presence) although I don't think there's any way to pirate it and try it out right now.

All console music up until Gamecube was done via synthesis or patterned samples. A pattern file is basically computer sheet music that tells it when to play samples; streamed audio, which is the modern way of doing things, effectively has the entire song as a sample which it plays back.

if you want to make music using tracked patterns you should go for OpenMPT, which is the best for sample-based sound.

http://www.williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/

This is a pretty huge library of SNES soundfonts.
>>
>>3413743

> Does the 32 KHz sample rate have any practical difference from the modern standard of 44.1 KHz?

Nyquist's theorem means that a 32 Khz sample rate can only reproduce frequencies up to 16 Khz. The "CD standard" 44.1 Khz can reproduce sounds up to 22.05 Khz.

Your 7-year and your dog could probably tell the difference. If you're posting on /vr/ you probably can't, or can only barely tell. The upper frequency limit declines rapidly with age after puberty, and is typically only ~16-18 KHz even in healthy ~26 year olds.

The commonly stated "20-20KHz" human hearing range is merely a convenient approximation that holds true for young children, some of which can hear up to around 22 KHz-ish
>>
How many kbps is SNES music ?
>>
>>3414474
> All console music up until Gamecube
What
What were discs with CD-DA music?
>>
Did the SNES devkits come with a default sound bank? I can swear I've heard some of the same sounds in dozens of different games by different developers.
>>
>>3414067
Actual soundtrack with samples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCZICbuTRco

>>3413980
Yeah, that's why so called "16-bit" or "SNES" covers of songs are pretty dumb, even dumper than "8-bit" covers. But there are people who use the samples of certain games to make new songs, that's neat.
If you had the stems of a song and the talent, you could easily play it on the SNES.
>>
Seconding this thread >>3414671

But I don't think they sound beautiful but rather the cries of each Pokemon are interesting. They sound like more than white noise and envelopes, almost FM-like (take Weedle or Raichu for example). I'd assume they were samples but what would've been used to generate them?

I'm doing pretty well recreating a lot of sounds with basic waveforms and FM in Renoise and OpenMPT but when it comes to Pokemon cries, I'm stumped.
>>
>>3414663
Pretty sure that that is actually the case, anon. Can't cite anything, but I, too, have heard that before.
>>
>>3414697
They are just really creative use of the sound hardware.
>>
>>3414697
I have nothing on Pokemon, but here is the ending to Link's Awakening with an oscilloscope view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaJAZUiHTo

You can see the songs, sound effects and the noise monsters and the wind fish make. Pretty neat.
>>
>>3414023
Did you connect it to a sequencer or MIDI controller?
>>
>>3414493
I knew about that loss-of-high-frequency effect; I didn't know it was so pronounced. I would think the loss of that much high pitch sound would affect things though because of how waves interact and because the sample rate determines temporal resolution.
>>
>>3414067
Is there any other chip like the SID?
>>
>>3414697
What sort of sounds have you been practicing with?
>>
Gonna try my hand at recreating Pokemon cries later today.
>>
Does anyone have information on how instrument definitions for the SNES worked? I think that'll be one of the big determiners of sound since everything else seems pretty beefy and the setup seems to be basically proprietary MIDI.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.