[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any other (affordable) CRTs besides Sony PVMs that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: s-l1600[1].jpg (66KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
66KB, 800x800px
Are there any other (affordable) CRTs besides Sony PVMs that have RGB input? Preferably around 20" and less cause I don't have the space or muscle for anything above that.
>>
>>3413702
yes lots. you just have to look. JVC, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Ikegami, Nec, Commodore Amiga, Proscan. I have even seen european tvs with scart in america that people imported.
>>
File: scart to yuv.jpg (21KB, 327x264px) Image search: [Google]
scart to yuv.jpg
21KB, 327x264px
For $50 plus $10 for the audio breakout adapter you can buy a "SCART-to-YUV" transcoder that will let you use RGB SCART cables on the dirt-cheap US consumer TVs with "component" input.
>>
>>3413702
>muh pvm
Is this shit really worth it
>>
>>3413848
Ive seen that thrown around a bit, hows the quality?
>>
>>3413873
No
neither is this>>3413848
>>
>>3413873
Depends what you pay. I haven't paid more than $50 for one and am quite happy with them.
>>
>>3413878
The quality is perfect as it's just a signal transcoder though it does have pots to adjust the individual channels relative to one another. The quality of the scart cables and the component display is what can vary considerably. Consumer TVs with component input are pretty easy to come by though so you can go through a lot and you don't have to settle for the middle ground of 20" either you can have a variety of sizes and just move your transcoder back and forth.

>>3413903
This, though. I have two PVMs my 20 was free and my 14 was $10. They're certainly worth that and I would put their value to me right around that $50 mark which as I said is what the transcoder costs so if I really couldn't find pro monitors and was getting frustrated the transcoder would be a good option.

If you don't know if it's worth it, get a consumer Trinitron with component inputs and play a little Wii emulation on it no transcoding required.
>>
>>3413848
Just fucking use S-video, and those snes component cables retards.
>>
>>3413936
Those Snes component cables sure will do wonders for my Mega Drive. A transcoder is a good investment if you aren't a single-console child.
>>
>>3413969
use s-video.

who the fuck plays mega drive anyway
>>
>>3413936
>>3414247
stop being such a cancerous piece of shit
>>
>>3414251
No reason at all to choose the shitty scart meme over s-video and component
expecially not on a fucking consumer CRT where you arent going to get the best anyhow.

itt retards with too much money
>>
>>3413848
>http://metroid2remake.blogspot.cl/

Lag

That thing's $30-50 anyways, you might as well step up to the pure transcoders at the $80-120 mark that will do it without lag.

Also PVMs aren't just about the RGB, the hi-res phosphor pitch is great. Sony fucked up on their consumer sets by only releasing their high resolution tubes with those awful 1080i laggy scalers
>>
>>3413702
>that have RGB input
Pretty much any CRT TV.
Unless you are American.
>>
Any late year CRT is going to be fine.

PVM's are a fucking meme. Do they look the best? Yes. But is that worth 400-500 bucks?

Do you enjoy playing on a 6" PVM as opposed to playing on a 20"+ consumer CRT?

PVM's are the best. But it's not like consumer grade CRT's are bad.
>>
>>3414283
>But is that worth 400-500 bucks?
What if you got lucky and bought one cheaper?
>>
>>3414290

You can get CRT's on craigslist for free.

I picked up a 32 the other day for free.
>>
>>3413702
If you're in Europe there are probably plenty of them. Assuming you're in Ameriland, other brands of RGB capable broadcast monitors exist like JVC but they typically run similar prices. If you drive around on a garbage night in a suburban area you're bound to find a decent size Sony Trinitron or other consumer CRT with Component, which gives identical results to RGB.
>>
>>3414272
>Lag
>That thing's $30-50 anyways, you might as well step up to the pure transcoders at the $80-120 mark that will do it without lag.
The CSY-2100 clones are pure transcoders, though they aren't amazing ones by default. As the other anon brought up, you need to open it up and adjust the pots for your own setup.

>>3414253
>itt retards with too much money
Says the one advising people to buy a dedicated cable with a transcoder stuffed in it rather than a single transcoder that can be used for multiple systems.
>>
HD Retrovision cables are pretty solid at what they do, but they're also getting limited runs and are fucking expensive. If you play a lot of a system and don't flinch at the price they might be a good option.
>>
>>3414324
Im advising S-video
What now?
>>
>>3414480
To be specific
>No reason at all to choose the shitty scart meme over s-video and component
>and component
If you're going the component route, and want to play more than one system, a dedicated transcoder makes more sense than those transcoding cables.

That said, S-Video is more than good enough for most people, and I agree that you don't NEED to take the dive down the rabbit hole into RGB/Component transcoding(specifically transcoding, native component should be used if you can get it.) unless you're a weenie about video quality.
>>
>>3414247
The you can mod mega drive for s video pretty easily
>>
>>3414509
I prefer to play my games in the way that the developers intended.
>>
>>3414513
OK bro
>>
>>3413702
Stop falling for the PVMeme. Stop fucking around and get a SDTV with component input, and a transcoder.
>>
>>3414557
Ugh
>>
>>3413936
>S-video
ayy lmao what are you a nigger
>>
>>3414492
You know damn well that the number of retro systems that support native component is zero, Kya. Even S-Video requires hardware modding many systems and those mods are more complex than superior RGB mods.
>>
>>3414842
It was a generalization rather than being aimed specifically at retro to avoid
>using s-video for PS2, etc
comments.

I still stand by the statement that not everyone needs to go for RGB, at least for those where it isn't easily available.
The two "big" systems that would need modification for S-Video would be what, the Genesis and PC-Engine? 5th Gen+ Sega has S-Video, Sony has S-Video, 4th Gen+ Nintendo has S-Video.
What would be the difficult ones: Jag and 3DO? Honest question, since I know jack shit about either system aside from the former having a wacky video connector.
>>
>>3414863
> Implying Mega Drive and PCE aren't extremely important retro systems
Between MD's backward compatibility and PCE's greatly extended lifespan their compatible libraries represent a significant portion of the entire retro library and probably the majority of the 2D. Also, I'll go ahead and take the controversial position that CRTs are much less important for playing 3D games on.

I mean, I'll concede that S-Video is 95%+ as good as RGB but there's really no reason to commit to only S-Video since most TVs over 14" with component input also have S-Video and most PVMs do too.

Depending on just how tight OP's budget is, he may just want to use a Wii to push 240p component emulation.
>>
File: P1110-786F.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1110-786F.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
how are these for retro gaming? scanlines,rgb,etc...
>>
>>3415664
They're excellent CRTs but they're the wrong frequency for anything other than Dreamcast (and PC obviously)
>>
>>3413702
Tons of latter-day FD Trinitrons have RGB input. Check your Craigslist page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA
>>
>>3416357
None of those TVs has RGB input
>>
>>3413748
European TVs are PAL, though. OP should probably be looking for a Japanese TV with JP-21 input.
>>
>>3413882
Tbh none of this is probably really worth it, but it's looks good, dammit.
>>
>>3416386
>European TVs are PAL
Most models handle PAL and NTSC through RGB SCART connector just fine.
This problem was relevant in early 90s.
>>
>>3416386
many european tv were 50hz & 60hz compatible with scart. OP should not be looking for JP-21 because that is even less common and more expensive than scart.
>>
>>3414964
I wasn't saying they were unimportant; Getting wording right when you're dead tired can be difficult.
>>
>>3413702
Did you ask the CRT thread?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.