[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever imagine what itd be like to play 2d platformers from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: mana-ff4-trigger-1280x720.png (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mana-ff4-trigger-1280x720.png
57KB, 1280x720px
Do you ever imagine what itd be like to play 2d platformers from a first person perspective? Sort of like playing the game in their normal fashion but experiencing it in a realistic VR way. I think games that have serious moments would benefit from this, like running away from Scrabs in Abe's Odyssey or jumping from wall to wall in Shinobi. Just imagine as Abe jumping from ledges and dropping into an area where a gate unlocks a Scrab that starts chasing after you, and you have to run away to avoid the Scrab from killing you. With first person, there is shock from not noticing the cage with the Scrab, and the feeling of being hunted would feel more immense as you're actually in the players shoes. Just a thought.
>>
Check out Zelda 2 FPS
>>
>>3413590
> what itd be like to play 2d platformers from a first person perspective?
Like the Megaman Doom.
>>
>>3413765
What I meant was playing the game within the same genre, so still playing it like a normal Mega Man..
>>
>>3413798
I'm have trouble understanding what you're saying here
>>
platforming in first person sucks.

only game to ever get it right was Jumping Flash because of how it handles the camera and because you can jump really high and make a triple jump, allowing you to calculate where you're gonna land.
>>
Ive played Mirrors Edge. It was not great. I doubt the lack of a third dimension would fix the inherit issues
>>
>>3414083
Playing a 2d platformer still as a 2d platformer only with the ability to see it in first person. Think metroid prime only being able to see it VR-like and in a 2d way where you walk up and down only
>>
>Do you ever imagine what itd be like to play 2d platformers from a first person perspective?

Actually, no. Can you believe it? I always thought that kind of camera was perfect...

I DO imagine how some 3D games would be in 2D though, does that count? To the point of even dreaming how FFX would looklike if it had FFIV-VI engine.
>>
>>3413590
Check out Briquolo for a 2d game that switches to a first person perspective - specifically an arkanoid clone, though it is completely in 3d. Another thing like that is GLtron, this seems like a natural exploratory range for open source.

Though you might want to take a look at the converse, "threat from outer space" and Fire Fight are FPS style games in 2d(top down and isometric), kind of illustrates how 2d works relatively easily even for gameplay styles judged natural for first-person-3d.

There's also Skyroads, now there you have a platformer in 3d perspective without that standard 3d platformer gameplay or the greater degree of roaming-freedom that seems to go hand in hand with 3d platformers, and it still does ditch the side view, unlike something like Pandemonium.

You could also take note of One Must Fall Battlegrounds, which bolted a 3d perspective, very close to FPS onto a very 2d-geared type of game play.
>>
File: Heimdall_1.png (14KB, 320x256px)
Heimdall_1.png
14KB, 320x256px
No, I really like the old school 2D stuff, whether it's top-down or viewed from the side. Isometric stuff can be cool too (pic was fun), but it often leads to iffy perspective where it's easy to fuck up by mistake. With straight 2D everyghing is much cleaner and clear.
3D stuff is better suited for dungeon crawler like Wizardry, where the whole point is to draw your map and solve the dungeon.
>>
>>3413590
If the level design literally is the same as a 2D platformer, but now suddenly in first person, then no. Its not going to work at all.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.