[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are old games so expensive? Shouldn't they be bottom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: 1465839266544.gif (1MB, 200x138px) Image search: [Google]
1465839266544.gif
1MB, 200x138px
Why are old games so expensive? Shouldn't they be bottom of the barrel $5? I hate how resellers jack up the price for fucking video games. It's worse that people accept their prices.
>>
File: Nintendo1993Calendar-04-vgo.jpg (1MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo1993Calendar-04-vgo.jpg
1MB, 2000x3000px
>>3412731
0/10
>>
>>3412731

Some old games have always been more than others and I accept that, but in general I agree. The problem is the newfag influx. Newbies ruin EVERYTHING - see 4chan. And I'm being dead serious. If you started "collecting" any type of old games within the past, say, 5 years, you are the problem.
>>
>>3412742
I'm not a collector really. I just buy games i wanna play for consoles that have poor emulation support like Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 and Xbox HUEG. I don't like having to pay $60 bucks for a working cart of Paper Mario.
>>
>>3412742
It's hard to play games from the past like Link's Awakening and Crystal without having to spend an absurd amount of money. My expectations were the total price to be around 20 atleast, but people are asking for above 70. Those games are about 20 years old.
>>
>>3412767
>It's hard to play games from the past like Link's Awakening and Crystal without having to spend an absurd amount of money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator
>>
>>3412742
>. If you started "collecting" any type of old games within the past, say, 5 years, you are the problem.
Yes, because everyone collecting old games is of the same generation. The reason, I feel, retro gaming collecting has become so expensive is all the older millennials are starting to go back to their childhood and buying up games their either already got rid of or looking to pick up the games they missed out on.
>>
>>3412774
>is all the older millennials are starting to go back to their childhood and buying up games their either already got rid of or looking to pick up the games they missed out on.
That's literally it. It has happened several times in the past with other hobbies and generations. You can expect it to happen again in the future.
>>
>>3412751
I'll add too that damn near every worthwhile NOT RETRO Xbox NOT RETRO title has been $20 or less, while pretty much any N64 cart with a Ninty mascot in it plus more averages 30 or more, with the exception of Kirby64. On top of that, most any used game store I've visited in the last 2 years has adopted this retarded ebay 90's kid nostalgia tax too.
>>
>>3412776
But somehow that's a "problem." The type of people like the poster I was replying to are just mad other people enjoy their hobby.
>>
>>3412742
There are no "newfags" the boom happened years ago
>>
>>3412781
It's only a problem to people who don't understand economic basics. Also, consider that by posting on boards such as /vr/ OP is contributing to the overall social awareness of retro games and is therefore contributing to the "problem" by making this thread.
>>
>>3412767
>Link's Awakening and Crystal without having to spend an absurd amount of money. My expectations were the total price to be around 20 atleast, but people are asking for above 70.

WOW ASKING PRICE? HOLY SHIT THAT MUST BE WHAT THEY SELL FOR BECAUSE IM A FUCKING RETARD

Learn to use pricecharting, fucking idiot.
>>
>>3412791
He is, in some way, but to be fair it isn't like /vr is a huge collector community. NintendoAge threads, on the other hand... if you really want a shitshow of frantic collectors desperate to jump on whatever bandwagon rolls into town, go there.
>>
>>3412825
Also, /vr/ does acknowledge that real games on real hardware is the most authentic way to play we also are very supportive of flash cartridges and emulation.
>>
>>3412798
Not hin, but you'll see those same prices in eBay completed listings too friendo. And good luck trying to haggle with a local shop owner. Most of then know some other retard is willing to pay whatever asking price because of nostalgia.
>>
>>3412852
>Also, /vr/ does acknowledge that real games on real hardware is the most authentic way to play

That's because it's a simple statement of fact. I think emulators are better though.
>>
>>3412853
>retro game shops

lmao
>>
It's all about the 'tacts, OP.

If you've got your 'tacts, you've got your game.
>>
>Be me
>Go to garage sales first thing in the morning on Fridays and grab up the good retro games for $1 or $2 a piece.
> Set up a booth in the flea market and before it 'opens' walk around to other booths. Buy games for $1 or $2 a piece.
> Take them back to my booth.
> Mark them up to $30 - 50 a piece.
> Most weekends I clear about $800 (last weekend I made $815).

I love the fact that retro games are 'in' right now.
>>
>>3412931
Must be california or something because every time I see someone with marked up games nobody is buying them
>>
This thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9yBgTp9UQ
>>
>>3412731
>1991
>piss poor slavshit in middle of post-communist turmoil
>no anon we can't afford the gameboy it's 100 dmarks go save money
>1993
>saved money
>no anon you need to give money to pay for window panes we'll pay you back
>1997
>not interested in gameboy anymore
>now it's all about vodka and trancerave parties at warehouses
>2005
>gameboy 0.000000000000006 euros at flea market
>still not interested
>2016
>fuck I could buy a gameboy
>200 euros at eBay

fucking hipsters
>>
>>3413030
Come to the US, everything is cheap here except healthcare
>>
>Yet another thread whining about prices
>I'm not really a collector, serious!

Shut the fuck up, the only people who give a shit about the prices of retro games are collectors. Everyone else will either get a flashcart or modchip if they care about playing on real hardware, or emulate.

I say shut the fuck up, since collectors ARE the reason retro games are pricy these days. Everyone who was collecting back in 2002 got NES and SNES and whatnot for dirt cheap. All the people who are bandwagon collectors and are trying to get a collection now? They are the cause of the huge demand and higher prices, and they turn around and complain about the higher prices they've caused. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3413176
All I want to play are my childhood games
>>
>>3413445
Should have taken better care of them
>>
>>3413529
I sold them because I thought my parents were poor at one point in my life
>>
>>3413538
Too bad
>>
>>3413445
>Everyone else will either get a flashcart or modchip if they care about playing on real hardware, or emulate.
What part of this sentence are you not understanding? Or are you just pretending to be retarded?

Again, YOU are the cause of the high prices you are complaining about, so shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3413597
I'm not going to pay $200 for one game
>>
>>3413613
Emulation is free you mouthbreather.
>>
>>3413629
No it's not I payed $20 for an n64 emulator just now
>>
>>3413647
>payed
>>
>>3412774
This. I got into "collecting" to have physical copies of the games I enjoyed as a kid, played later on in life, or always thought were just cool games. I've basically stopped actively going out and looking for games note that I have most of what I want. If I ever happen to fine the last few things I want I'm going to grab them if the price is right however.
>>
>>3413658
He can't speak english, and he's paying for emulators.

This is the kind of person who whines about the costs of old games.
>>
>>3412931
Liar. Your bait is bad and you are a faggot.
>>
>>3413708
You're one of those people who I charge $15 for a copy of the OG Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt aren't you?
Don't hate the player.
>>
>>3412731
get yourself a flashcart and play games on that. If the flashcart you get doesn't support the games you want, then buy those games. But nowadays devices like flashcarts and the like support almost 100% of any console library.

You'll save money in the long run and you'll get to play any game on real hardware, it's a win-win.
>>
Just buy sega genesis
It aint retarded expensive like ninty stuff.
When u really think about it none of the retro games are that bad compared to buying classic cars or collectible rare firearms
>>
>>3414014
I'm not a collector I just wanted Link's Awakening and Crystal. I'm not interesting in playing them anymore though
>>
Just so you collectorfags know, this is how resellers handle your precious nintendo games
>>
>>3412931
>i watch pat's flea market madness videos on youtube

Yeah, so what?
>>
>>3412731
Yeah, just get used to the reality and move to flashcarts and modded wiis, not even trying to be like "muh supply and demand", just being honest, the last physical copies i need are megaman 6 on the NES and Mario RPG and thats it.
>>
>Emulation that's basically perfect
>Gameboy Colour
>Gameboy Advance
>NES
>SNES
>MD/Genesis

>Emulation that's good enough for most things, or has really cheap and easy alternatives (like mod chips and burning discs)
>N64
>PS1
>PS2
>PSP
>DS
>Xbox
>Xbox 360
>Dreamcast
>TG-16/PC-Engine and CD
>Sega CD
>Saturn is on the way iirc from a few threads back
>Arcade

Games are more accessible than ever. You don't have to pay out the ass for any game unless you want official hardware. Then you have to accept you're paying a premium or spend your days trolling and hunting for deals.

Flashcarts are a one time purchase of around 200 bucks for almost the entire library. Then it's just a matter of picking up a few games that have compatibility issues.

Same thing with modded consoles and burned discs.

You don't have to play the game. If you want real hardware you're 15 years too late.
>>
Do you ever see broken games or systems selling as "for parts or not working" and are only a few bucks cheaper than functional hardware? What's up with that?
>>
>>3418328
Collectors don't actually play games.
>>
>>3418328
A broken NES used to be like 5 or 10 bucks, now they're 40 or 50. Shit is ridiculous.
>>
>>3418328
>>3418348
Do they even know what's broken with it when they sell it? Anyone ever find one with an easy fix?
>>
>>3412767
>It's hard to play games from the past like Link's Awakening and Crystal without having to spend an absurd amount of money.

Lol what the fuck
>>
>>3412731
Is this a serious question? Do you think that video games are somehow unique?

Old video games are expensive for the same reason that old toys, old baseball cards, old cars, old artwork, old memorabilia, etc. are expensive. They aren't being made anymore, and people still want them. Furthermore, because of their age, rarity, and scarcity, there's an increased demand for these things that you cannot easily find anymore.

Just because an item is old, doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
>>
>>3420267
Model 2 Sega CDs sell for ~$90 on ebay, but the broken ones are around $40. Most of the time they work if you replace one fuse on the motherboard, which involves a trip to Radio Shack and five minutes of soldering.

Really the hard part is getting power supplies, since originals cost as much as the console sometimes, and the alternative is questionable Chinese generics.
>>
It depends on the console. Atari 2600 games are very cheap. Heck, Famicom games are very cheap.
>>
>>3424468
Famicom games are starting to pick up actually.
>>
>>3424536
they're marked up a little if they're already in the country but if you're fine with waiting for import shipping they're still super cheap
>>
>>3412734
man, if those kids need help beating aquamentus then they should just give up before they get any further.
>>
I'm happy, I sold my small N64 collection for more than 3 times what I paid for my everdrive 64. Gonna do it with my prodigious NES collection next.

I sort of feel bad for people who are just getting into it, but at the same time I don't feel bad at all.
>>
>>3415819
>all of those sports games
What's the problem?
>>
>>3412742
Muh elitism.
>>
>>3413647
>$20 for an n64 emulator
Just anhero
>>
File: 1459352068184.gif (167KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1459352068184.gif
167KB, 300x168px
>>3421823
>a trip to Radio Shack
Very retro, anon.
>>3426290
Well, they're only getting into it just to be a "collector" so I see nothing wrong with jacking up prices. Everyone else can use an everdrive or whatever if they want to play the actual games.
>>
>>3412731
>10 million+ Gen1 pokemon carts produced
>people now asking $40 for Blue/Red/Yellow because Go
It you've got a rare game, I understand the price going up, but we're being raped over common shit here anons.
>>
Buy an Everdrive. Not worth collecting at this point anymore.
>>
>>3428035
>Well, they're only getting into it just to be a "collector" so I see nothing wrong with jacking up prices. Everyone else can use an everdrive or whatever if they want to play the actual games.
This. I feel sorry for the real collectors who are currently trying to hunt down shit like Air Raid on the 2600, or one of the Nintendo tournament carts for the NES. They are getting raped. But all the people whining about "WAH, SUPER MARIO WORLD IS OVERPRICED"? Fuck them, they are the reason the prices are jacked. Actual gamers have flashcarts and modchips, so it's not our problem.
>>
Is it collecting when you just want the series?
for example
I own most of the FF carts, weather it be (super)famicom or (s)nes
and all the numbered Sonic carts
I do infact play them, but it's not like i have a billion in one other games, and nor do i want to jack up the price, i legit just want to own them, I have no dubs of any of these
>>
>>3428487
You're not a special snowflake. Lots of other people want to own them to play them too. There's just not enough to go around.
>>
>>3428319
They easily go for $80 in Ausfailia, and that's with a torn label. Now even shit like Fire Red/Leaf Green are now $60 when they were throwing them away a month ago.

All the Gameboys went up by $20-30 when Go got popular too. I was watching a DMG for $30 2 months ago, now they're on average $60-70. That's not fucking cool.
>>
>>3413176
A lot of it is aesthetics for me. Wonder if a custom case for a pi or something would be cheaper. I'm sure someone could design something even more 80s than the NES itself
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.