[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Japanese version is better Is this rule true for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

>The Japanese version is better
Is this rule true for most retro games?
>>
>>3410762

No, unless you nitpick stuff like minor censorship, or dialogue changes in RPGs.
>>
>>3410789
>censorship is nitpicking
Hi, SJW.
>>
For some reason, the japanese version of Sonic Adventure (before the International re-elease) manages to be worst than the western version. It was so glitchy that I had to buy a american one to finally finish it.
>>
>>3410762
I thought the JP and US versions were largely the same for Bloodlines, aside from Eric being made less feminine in the US. It was the Euro version that got censored.
>>
>>3410808
No, enemy behaviour changes a lot.
>>
>>3410790

What kind of retarded logic could lead you to type out that sentence?
>>
>>3410790
Censorship IS nitpicking, actually. That's why uncensored is better,
>>
>>3410915
Rather, he was saying complaining about censorship is just nitpicking, which is stupid. It's a valid complaint.
>>
>>3410942
Depends if it is minor censoring like girls wearing bikinis.
>>
>>3410893
Fuck off /v/. Unless it's on par with something like I Have No Mouth where you can't even finish it(German version cutting out a character) then it's not that big of deal. Yeah censorship sucks but a minor sprite change isn't going to destroy the game.
>>
>>3411226
Who'd they cut out? Nimdok right?
God I loved that game, it definitely is rough around the edges though.
Glad I live in the States. We may occasionally cover up some anime titties but you can always have nazis.
>>
>>3410802
Keep in mind the Japanese version came out almost a whole year before the American release.
>>
>>3410762
>Is this rule true for most retro games?
No. It depends entirely on the game. This is not a hard and fast rule nor is it even a rule of thumb.
>>
>>3410762
If you have Japanese consoles and can read moonspeak then yes. Otherwise probably not a big difference game play wise, and dialogue changes never bothered me. the only way I'd know they even changed something during localization is if some one told me, I can't speak japanese.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 294x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 294x415px
Not always OP

Decap attack > magical hat

Better soundtrack, cooler characters, better balanced game

Even the ending is better
>>
>>3411238
Many Wolfenstien ports disagree, but I see your point.
>>
>>3410812
Any examples?
>>
>>3411251
That's a good point.
>>
>>3410808
main difference is the password system

Japanese version gives you three continues and then the password once you lost them all

American version gives the password after every level, but it saves the exact amount of lives and continues
>>
File: castlevania3.jpg (2MB, 1534x2100px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania3.jpg
2MB, 1534x2100px
In some cases, yes. For instance, Contra Hard Corps or pic related.
>>
>>3412315
Compare the gargoyles in stage 3
Also stage 1 is missing the flying ghost in the catacombs
Stage 4 is missing the medusa heads in the gears room.
Stage 5 doesn't respawn the axe armors that you defeated and the wall boss shoots smaller projectiles
>>
>>3413824
The Japanese version of Hard Corps isn't better.
>>
>>3413824
the japanese version of castlevania 3 is way easier than the english version though, in fact the difficulty the game is even known for is because of the english version, the game is piss easy in the original version
>>
>>3414146
but the music is so much better
>>
>first/original console hardware is always better than later models
Is this always true?
>>
>>3413824
>Contra Hard Corps
Nah, the life bar makes it TOO easy. US version plus Game Genie code for infinite lives is the way to go IMO.
>>
It depends on the game. Dynamite Headdy and Bare Knuckle 3 are two that are definitely worth getting in JP form because they were changed so radically for the West.
>>
>>3411369
They removed a boss.
>>
>>3414287

Snes Mini/SFC Jr. has much better S-video and RGB output, though it's debatable since you have to mod it to unlock them.

PSOne is much quieter and comes with YPbPr output for ameriburgers

Gameboy Light doesn't require you to tilt the system... just.... right.... in order to see what you're doing.

AV Famicom is pretty obvious, but I think there's a tradeoff with that dumb microphone

Couple other NOT RETRO REEE examples I can think of too. There's enough examples of original systems being better too though so I don't think you can rule one way or the other.
>>
>>3414305
You complain about the life bar then turns on an infinite lives cheat? The fuck?
>>
>>3414146
And the game was never intended to as hard as Americans remember it. It was made harder to thwart game rentals, it wasn't part of the original design.

I'll never understand why fags complain about censorship but will lets companies tamper with the games balance and difficulty even when though the original designers are never consulted about it and it can break the game (see SoR3).
>>
Why is the Japanese version of Castlevania Bloodlines completely in English anyway? Despite that they changed Johnny Morris' name to "John Morris" in the American version.
>>
GBA Astro Boy was greatly improved for America. The Japanese version was so easy, that hard mode was normal mode for the US version. But yeah, the censorship is a bitch, especially back in the 80s and 90s when they couldn't get away with anything. They even took out the Cybernator ending where the president of the corporation commits suicide. Don't forget Streets of Rage 3, where they replaced a flamboyantly gay enemy with a generic swordsman. They even had a special song and everything. It's pretty hilarious.
>>
Don't forget Mad City vs Bayou Billy. Mad City (Japanese Bayou Billy) was laughably easy. I mean, REALLY easy. So they dramatically upped the difficulty for Bayou Billy, but forgot to implement any knock back and fucked the balance up really bad. No matter what you do, the enemies get cheap hits on you because there was no knock back, which is standard on most beatemups.
>>
A minor thing, but Japanese FFVII didn't have the WEAPONs. And its Supernova was shorter and thus not as infamous.
>>
>>3413824
>Jap Contra Hard Corps
>better
what r u? casul?
>>
>>3415178
>Japanese FFVII didn't have the WEAPONs

Correction: It did not have Ruby or Emerald Weapon. Ultimate and Diamond were still mandatory (temporary) fights, and Sapphire was still there to get itself BTFO by the Junon cannon.
>>
>>3415096
>They even took out the Cybernator ending where the president of the corporation commits suicide.

they also cut out the character portraits during the dialogue
>>
File: jetsoncover.jpg (62KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
jetsoncover.jpg
62KB, 475x347px
I rented this as a kid and turned out to be a great licensed game, fun gameplay, good music, as expected from a Taito H-B title.

Turns out the original japanese game is about a "youkai buster" who looks kinda like Popful Mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b8ACxyT_A4
>>
>>3417779
turns out the jetsons game was actually the orginal and the jap verson is an anime romhack.
>>
Spyro is a huge exception.
>>
>>3417749
I never understood why they did that.
>>
File: ackchyually.png (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.png
19KB, 200x200px
>>3417779
>Turns out the original japanese game is about a "youkai buster" who looks kinda like Popful Mail

Just read the wiki entry and Jetsons came first :^)
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.